Bronco's First Run! And a few issues found... - Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tedybear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Bronco's First Run! And a few issues found...

Finally got our Bronco on the road.

Took it down to Clay (about 30 mile round trip) Noted a few oddities. Namely the ABS light is on. Kicked back the code for the ABS pump. OUCH! I might just leave that one off the list. It stops great! But that's one expensive and hard to work around device. (lines are very rusty....Trying not to disturb them)

Airbag light has a mind of it's own. As listed in the other thread, I'll be picking up a new clock spring tomorrow. (Will be installed over the weekend, my puller set's about 20 miles away LOL)

Local ford dealership will be doing the recall for the Cruse Switch. That's on Tuesday.

We have a new thermostat, housing, cooler adapter for the oil cooler- Upper and lower hoses. All got replaced and the system purged (?) of air.

I have a feeling the radiator might be plugged up a bit. Trip down to Clay? Temp gauge hanging around the "L" in "Normal". Floated down a bit to the "A"...but mainly stayed just above the "L".... I'm more used to the gauge being around the R/M area. We cleaned out what seemed like a ton of "Stop Leak" that was bunged up in the overflow jug. It did a great job at stopping the leak!! The hose was totally plugged with that junk! So I'm not quite used to the gauge actions/reactions yet. This might be 100% normal? Or there might be a bad sender...etc...

We then went to Syracuse...That time it was floating around the R/M area like I would expect?!?

Also we have a heck of a "Creaking" sound when we apply the brakes out of what sounds like the rear end. Normally that's kinda expected when one comes to a stop and rides the brakes slightly until it comes to a stop (or let it kind creep forward at a stop light). While it does stop 100% great! The creaking sounds are quite unusual. Brake shoes matched what I pulled out of the rear end. I'll most likely check the brake adjustment. When I used to do this professionally, my habit was to adjust them 4 times. Each time running things back/forward and applying the brakes to ensure all was centered. Didn't get that chance to do all of that this time... Likely needs to be ratcheted up a few more notches.

So the questions in question....

What would be considered "Average" for the temp gauge to be reading. It's the OEM temp (195). This might just be me needing to get used to it....

Is there any recommended "Adjustment" to get the upper radiator hose a bit higher- I loosened the upper hose slightly and rotated it so the hose is floating about 1/2" above the fan. I'm considering hooking up a cable tie and having that hold the hose about 2" above that fan. I've caught myself a few times leaning over it and hearing the hose 'tap' into the fan while it was running. No damage thankfully.

Wanted to 'share' the first run results. I also dumped about $30 more in fuel. We never top off a fuel tank unless we know 100% that the tank won't leak. It's well above the 1/2 mark and seems like it's sealed okay. We'll fill the tank over the weekend and start monitoring the MPG.

S-
SRWillis likes this.

1994 Ford Bronco XLT
5.8 Auto
Basket Case.
2001 VW Beetle
Daily Driver for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:29 PM

Bronco Info: 89 bronco xlt 5.0
The hose should rest on the fan shroud mine did ,but I converted to electric fans so I don't have that issues any more

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.garcia18 View Post
The hose should rest on the fan shroud mine did ,but I converted to electric fans so I don't have that issues any more

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
We had it resting on the shroud. Where the hose 'turns' around and angles down to the thermostat housing- It was almost contacting the belt, and was just about on top of the rotating fan.

I'll see if I can get some photos done. It's the correct hose (made by "Gates") It might need a tweak here and there to clear all the rotational stuff....

Photos should relay things a bit better.

S-

1994 Ford Bronco XLT
5.8 Auto
Basket Case.
2001 VW Beetle
Daily Driver for now.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:32 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo Ted,
Here is Ford'sTest;
"Coolant Temperature Gauge
Check gauge calibration as follows:
Using a Rotunda Instrument Gauge System Tester 014-R1063 or equivalent, with the key in the OFF position, disconnect wiring connector at the sender and connect tester to wiring connector.

Set the tester to 74 ohms.
Turn the key to RUN, and wait 60 seconds. The gauge should indicate on the COLD graduation.
Set the tester to 9.7 ohms and wait 60 seconds. The gauge should indicate on the HOT graduation.
If engine coolant temperature gauge tests within calibration, replace engine coolant temperature sender.
If engine coolant temperature gauge still tests out of calibration, replace coolant temperature gauge."
Our 96 runs between R & M because of thermostat opening and closing.

"Twist the hose where it connects to the engine. It will make the hose "stand up instead of sagging down in between the radiators and engine." by Need4racin

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:57 PM

Bronco Info: '96 Black 302 XLT - '94 Green 351 E. B. both are E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
Quote:
Originally Posted by miesk5 View Post

"Twist the hose where it connects to the engine. It will make the hose "stand up instead of sagging down in between the radiators and engine." by Need4racin
Twisting the hose so it doesn't contact the fan shroud, belt, etc. is the way to fix the issue. Zip-ties, lacing cord, bailing wire, are NOT the way to route the hose. In the picture below, loosen the hose at the thermostat housing, and rotate it counterclockwise a little, and the hose will magically rise off the shroud, then tighten the hose clamp. If that's not enough, loosen the clamp at the radiator too.

"The simplest solution is usually the best solution" - Occam's Razor

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:44 AM

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 300 I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Normal temps for me read between "O and R". Highway driving it's about R/M, with no overdrive and a scketchy fan clutch.

94 Bronco XLT. Beefy 351, 6" , 37's, 4.88: burnt
85 Bronco custom, 4" 37's, locked 4.56, 300 i6 4 bbl, np435/208
96 f350 XL, rclb, 351, c6, BW4407 xfer
78 f150 Ranger, 351m, t18, np205, rusty
90 f150, 95 f250, 96 f350 psd: stolen, sold, and burnt, respectively.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Pretty sure we had a decent air pocket that was causing the temp's to be out of wack. I checked the coolant and noted the jug was empty!

Topped it off to about 2" above the 'cold' just to make sure it could draw more if needed. Level has been good the last couple of days (no more 'drawn out') and the gauge reads mid range like it's supposed to.

We did move the hose as suggested. When the hose relaxed it was back on the shroud again, and 'motorboating' (only way to describe that sound)

It's been moved-twisted a lot more as of yesterday morning. We have a zip tie holding it up just in case. It already relaxed on the tie again(we had it resting just above the tie). We might need to do this a few times before it gets used to the new shape. My gut feeling is that this hose is slightly to short for the application.

S-

1994 Ford Bronco XLT
5.8 Auto
Basket Case.
2001 VW Beetle
Daily Driver for now.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode