Code 654 / NSS Help - Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NYFSB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1995 5.8 Eddie Bauer
Code 654 / NSS Help

Having some trouble with the Bronco, maybe someone can help. I went to the beach on Sunday morning and the truck took a beating, lot of sand dunes, rough terrain, bouncing all over the place. Ran fine though. I got home okay, shut it down for about 3 hours and went to get some gas later that night, all was good.
The next day I was going to work and the truck would not start. Didnít crank, did nothing. My gut told me it was the NSS. I picked one up, installed it and nothing. The next day I picked up a starter relay. Installed it and same thing, no crank. I noticed a screw on the floor so I took the bottom of dash apart and after some searching I was able to find where the screw went. It went on some bracket for the leveler. I had a ton of play in the shifter and the line at the D (drive) would not match no matter how much I played with the adjustment screw in the past. Not it lines up almost perfect and the shifter is nice and firm but still no start or crank.
I am getting code 654, Not in Park. There is 12v at the starter with the key on. All fuses are good and the brake lights light up. I am questioning the install of the NSS. When I removed the old one it clicked forward and backwards a few time. I tried to match it up so it aligned with the round hole at the end of the shift cable. Is there a way to check this? What happens when you push the latch that attaches to the NSS forward or backwards?
Also the relay was a little different than stock. Mine disintegrated when I removed it but it only had 3 post. Replacement had 4 postís, with the top labeled S bottom I. I have nothing connected to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:07 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo NY,
an you clarify "There is 12v at the starter with the key"?
Did you mean at the starter relay on inner fender?

pic by SeattleFSB

It should crank when key is turned to start with battery voltage is at starter solenoid (atop the starter). Pull starter with it's solenoid and have it tested for free.

Re-pinning the new MLPS:
MLPS wires positions by circuit # are exactly the same from old to new. there is no mention of wire color. the wires are designated by circuit # so basically one at a time take each wire out.... and put it in the same place it came out of on the new connector..."
Source: by thePUNISHER (Paul) at FSB

Connector Re-Pining; "...was a spring type clip that's a part of the pins. I think I used a jeweler's screwdriver alongside the pins to release them. I don't remember which side worked best, but one end was better. It seemed real tough until I found the right place for the screwdriver, then they popped out easily. Move them over one at a time to keep the order..."
Source: by ElKabong (Ken, El Kabong) at FSB

Start system wiring diagram @ http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=2034

Moving the lever on the MLPS shouldn't be an issue, Jermil did it on his Installation in a 92
Source: by jermil01 @ MLPS Question - Ford Bronco Forum

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Miesk, I have to look at my connections again. I was pretty sure that the my NSS was plug and play but that's why I didn't use any of the adapters that came in the box with the part.

OEM

Adapters that I didn't use..

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=miesk5;6566369]Yo NY,
an you clarify "There is 12v at the starter with the key"?

Sorry meant relay on fender. I am almost positive starter is good, its fairly new and I don't even here it click or anything so nothings going to it. Worth a check at this point
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:39 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo,
Ok, is that connector non re-pinning the issue?
If not; one more question. Is it the new fender mounted relay that you don't hear click or the starter motor?

Suggest a MOTORCRAFT SW1951C 1995 FORD BRONCO 5.8L V8 :
Electrical : Starter Solenoid ( a**hats still confuse the relay with the solenoid)
{#E9TZ11450B, F5TU11450BA} Starter Solenoid/Relay Assy. Fender Mounted; 3 Terminal

$21.79
Assuming anti-theft system is not installed:
After replacing relay, pull red/light blue wire push-on connector off of the relay.
With key in start position, should have batty voltage at red/light blue wire. If not, check fir voltage at MLPS, etc.
Relsy must be mounted on clean inner fender surface because that is it's coil's ground path
If voltage is ok, check cable to solenoid

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

I removed the NSS and it turns out that I didn't need these adapters as the fittings where an exact match. You got me thinking about the anti-theft system as the dash was blinking "theft" as the door was unlocked and key in ignition. I can't remember if that's normal or not.

I might return the Advanced Auto relay and get the Ford one as I don't like the extra prong on the replacement.
Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:34 PM

Bronco Info: '96 Black 302 XLT - '94 Green 351 E. B. both are E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
You could try metering the MLPS, here's the pinouts and metering points. Click the link under the picture to see it full size.

1996 Ford Bronco '94 EVTM picture | SuperMotors.net

The "Theft" light blinks for a couple of minutes to show you that the system is armed, that is normal.

"The simplest solution is usually the best solution" - Occam's Razor

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Finally got her running today! Turns out I didn't install the NSS properly. I thought I lined up the N with the notch on the switch but I didn't.

When installing the switch, leave the screws on the side very loose, place the leveler in the NSS and pull back 2 times to place in reverse. Now match up line as shown below (you will have to remove leveler to get a visual). When its level, tighten 2 sides screws, put leveler back on and bolt over it. Now pull the leveler forward 2 clicks to put it in Park. Next snap in cable end and you should be good to go.

miesk5 likes this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode