• 1 Post By makersneat
  • 1 Post By fsb86
  • 1 Post By prchrman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 86' Bronco XLT, 302 EFI, 4" RCL, 33", Soon to be 4.11's
Garage
more power 302

Hi, I'm looking to get a little more power out of my 302 and was planning on getting heads, a cam, and slightly bigger injectors. I'm pretty sure that this question has been asked before, but does anyone have any good suggestions? I've been looking at a few main websites like summit and jegs, but i get stumped on head size and combustion chamber and all that nonsense. I'm pretty sure that i've already got my cam picked out but i dont want to get a cam thats doesn't jive with my heads.
Thanks.

86' Bronco, EFI 302, 4" RCL on 33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:31 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1991 XLT/351w/E4OD/3" lift/4.56/32" tires/LS FR+RR
Garage
Wait until you get those 4.11's in then decide what you want to do for the motor. You may not want to do anything to the motor after gears. A healthy 302 should have enough power with proper gears. You're 33 inch tires with what assume are 3.55 gears are what's holding you back.

In my opinion, I'd get 4.56... you'll be happy.
huck2080 likes this.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by makersneat View Post
Wait until you get those 4.11's in then decide what you want to do for the motor. You may not want to do anything to the motor after gears. A healthy 302 should have enough power with proper gears. You're 33 inch tires with what assume are 3.55 gears are what's holding you back.

In my opinion, I'd get 4.56... you'll be happy.
Hey thanks! you are right it has a decent amount of power now, but i'd just like a little more because you can never really have too much power This is my daily tho so i think i will just go up to 4.11's

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 89 Bronco, EB 302eng,sixlitre tune up,Edelbrock Upper/Lower & headers,Eaton rear, 192,000+
I'd be interested in how the 4.11 go for you. I have exactly the same issues no power, can't get out of its own way. Running a 302 with 33" tires stock gears.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
There is a lot more to what your wanting to do then just picking out parts. Really need to look and make sure they heads you want will play nice with factory pistons and also what they will do to your compression ratio and such.
The stock efi system, if you keep it, will limit what you are going to be able to do with the cam and injectors and such without doing more custom work or a MAF conversion, or both.

Because of the above I would also do the gears first. Most likely be about the same money or less
huck2080 likes this.

The Street Queen: '92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, Roller 357W 400hp/400ft-lbs, SCT Tuned, 4" Lift, 4.10's,
Go Fastish Build: '78 Custom- 4" Deaver Lift, Mild 460, Full Cage, 4.10's
Build Thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...8-project.html
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBRONCOguy View Post
There is a lot more to what your wanting to do then just picking out parts. Really need to look and make sure they heads you want will play nice with factory pistons and also what they will do to your compression ratio and such.
The stock efi system, if you keep it, will limit what you are going to be able to do with the cam and injectors and such without doing more custom work or a MAF conversion, or both.

Because of the above I would also do the gears first. Most likely be about the same money or less
So I got a quote from a driveline and axle shop about an hour away from me. They said for both axles to be regeared it would cost around $3k, then if i wanted to get a e-locker in the rear it would be another $550.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:29 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1991 XLT/351w/E4OD/3" lift/4.56/32" tires/LS FR+RR
Garage
Should be $1200-$1500 for front/rear and I live in CA where everything is more expensive. You shouldn't need new carriers either for 4.11. Locker a different story.

Run as fast as you can from that place. They might be trying up-sell you a bunch of other stuff you don't need.
huck2080 likes this.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Would this help if i bought this? COMP Cams K31-234-3: Xtreme Energy 256H Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft Complete Kit Lift: .477" /.484" Duration: 256/268 RPM Range: 1000-5200 | JEGS
Keep in mind that i bought this with 172k miles for $1500

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by makersneat View Post
Should be $1200-$1500 for front/rear and I live in CA where everything is more expensive. You shouldn't need new carriers either for 4.11. Locker a different story.

Run as fast as you can from that place. They might be trying up-sell you a bunch of other stuff you don't need.
Well i live about an hour north of las vegas so everyone out here is trying to screw us, their shop is called dan's drivelines, feel free to call them and get a quote yourself. As far as lockers, i dont need them, but it would be nice to have
huck2080 likes this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:59 AM

Bronco Info: 94EB, W/1997 302GT40P Gasket matched intake, 1.7 RR, FRP headers, 2.5" duals w/X muffler.
go 4.30s, 4.10s are not enough.
huck2080 likes this.

Have I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:45 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 F150, 5.8 w/GT40X heads, Lightning intake, E4OD, 33" tires, detroit locker rear & true trac fro
Quote:
Originally Posted by prchrman View Post
go 4.30s, 4.10s are not enough.

As far as I am aware, nobody makes a 4.30 for the front. But, if they do, I agree, for tires up to 33"s I would suggest 4.30s too.

As for engine upgrades, it is slightly more complicated than you may realize. You should have EFI. Your EFI system is an earlier one called Speed density. (numerous threads everywhere about it, so do your own research). Engine modifications involving certain camshaft changes may not be possible without modifying your existing engine control system. No fear, the aftermarket is here. lol

If you wish to go stroker or radical performance camshaft you will need to convert to a mass air system. Since you don't have an electronic transmission your options ARE larger. Again, do your own research.

But, to answer your questions within certain parameters, Yes, I would suggest heads, camshaft and exhaust. If staying 302, especially non stroker, the factory intake is good enough. Actually, pretty good. Now, if you want a car style intake, the GT40, Cobra, and even explorer aren't down grades, just not maybe large upgrades. Plus, unfortunately, they will be extra effort (read parts and money) than the stock one, without much, if any torque or even horsepower gains.

Now a stroker 302 or a 351 willl require a computer swap. But, relax the simplest way, a 351 SD computer is pretty simple. A mass air computer is still pretty simple and will allow for a stroker 351 and/or good heads AND camshaft, etc.

So, decide how far you want to go, and research, research, research and let us know what you decide. Many of us will be glad to help. Not, telling you to research to be a dick, but to help you decide what or how much you actually want.

To semi answer your question as asked, yes heads, intake (maybe), cam, and exhaust will definitely improve your stock engne. Yes, I think everyone should do it, but I may be insane. lol Gears to match tire size, plus just a little numerically higher will be the icing on the cake, or the bare minimum to bring you back to where you started.

hth
tim
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 08:44 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco w/ 5.0 L V8, Auto w/ E40D
Garage
Here's my experience with a 302 with 33" tires and 4.56 gears. I was able to tow a loaded 2,000 lb. trailer from Oklahoma City to Indiana with little to no problems. (Had a little fishtailing but that was more about the trailer than the 302.) But the 302 did awesome. Yeah, it was a little slow, but I was averaging speed around 60-65 mph and getting 15 mpg the whole time while towing!

Cost wise, $1,000-$1,300 isn't unreasonable for parts, if you get new carriers. And the job is simple enough that you and a buddy can get it done in one weekend, but it can take some time. Plan to spend one day on each axle. Longer if you plan on rebuilding the axles beyond the carrier.

1991 Bronco w/ 5.0L V8, Auto w/ E40D trans, factory spare tire rack, factory limited slip diff, dual batteries, custom air intake, 8K lb. winch, tactical seat covers, drop down TV w/ CD/DVD player, 31's on stock suspension, roof baskets, new injectors, rear bumper w/ tire rack, 33" Goodyear Wranglers, 2" suspension lift.

To Do List: paint,
My BKO build: Project Farmhand
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Alright thanks for your responses! I'm pretty short on funds for some gear changes, but for now still have some work to do to it (AC, Manual hubs, exhaust tips, misfire, fluid flush) but when I get to it I will definitely update the thread!

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode