• 1 Post By CDA 455
  • 1 Post By BikerPepe`
  • 1 Post By CDA 455
  • 1 Post By stephen92bronco
  • 1 Post By stephen92bronco
  • 1 Post By CDA 455

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1994 5.0 XL - 31x10 tires - 355 gear - auto locking hubs - manual shift
Garage
Lift shocks

So i finally was able to get a 4 inch lift. The problem is that it does not come with back shocks. I am planning on only doing a shackle flip until i can get a new set of rear springs. What is a good place to get a new set of rear shocks? The lift is only 4 inches Just need some good recommendations. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:11 PM

Bronco Info: 1981 Ranger XLT, I6/SROD/NP208, manual hubs, 275k+
Garage
I would recommend Bilstein, as they have a good reputation on the forum. Also, Im not sure if they're sold in lifted formats, but KYBs also sound good from what I've heard, and I bought a set of the Gas-A-Just monotube models for my unlifted truck

Tough to kill an old six
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:46 PM

Bronco Info: 92 EB, 351W, Auto, Softopper with 4pt Cage, Remote Start and locks
Bilstein. They have a direct fit for a 4 inch lift for Bronco's. I just installed a set with my 2.5 inch lift. Rides almost better than stock. Ebay was the cheapest price at $67ea no tax free shipping.
CDA 455 likes this.

92 EB Full-Size, 351W. Autolocking hubs for 4WD. Softtop Conversion. 4pt Rollcage. Custom painted interior.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:01 AM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
I'm getting ready to drop my new rig from 6" to 4" and I picked up the Bilstein too.
they're about $7 more apiece but from everything I've read here over the years, they should be worth it.

I had mine drop shipped from 4WP but we have one an hours drive away and I wanted to be certain I had a local resource if there were any issues.
Not that I've heard of any... I'm just weird like that, sometimes.

Are you planning to actually flip the existing shackles for a temporary fix or are you installing something like the sky-shackle-flip brackets?
to do the existing, cheap flip... you'll be drilling your frame. do you plan to haul a lot of heavy stuff in the Bronco? I ask because everything I've read and @RicoBronco used the leafs and everyone seems to think they're a pretty damn stiff ride. I went with a used set of sky-shackle brackets to maintain the oem ride quality and it doesn't hurt that they'll mount right up where the old rivets were. They're not incredibly expensive either... compared to the stiff, leaf option.

just some food for thought. we could always use a fresh write-up on the install, if you're cool with that. I plan to document mine here but I'm just dropping from a 6" to a 4" so there will be some significant differences from a stock lift write-up.
CDA 455 and Hoxer like this.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:09 AM
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Bronco Info: '94 Bronco, 4" lift with front Air Lift/TRE Flip Upgrade/rebuilt E4OD (To PS specs)/33" BFGs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen92bronco View Post
Bilstein. They have a direct fit for a 4 inch lift for Bronco's. I just installed a set with my 2.5 inch lift. Rides almost better than stock. Ebay was the cheapest price at $67ea no tax free shipping.
^^^What he said^^^

I just ordered a set of Bilstein 5100 series shocks for the front with 4" lift.

Will be ordering the same for the rear as well.

μολὼν λαβέ

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:35 AM

Bronco Info: '96 Eddie Bauer 351, M112 Supercharge, C&T beams, Deaver J40s, 4.56 gears, disc brakes, hydroboost
The part number for the Bilstein 5100 rear shock for the 4" lift is 24-185530. It is the direct match for the front shocks you have which are 24-185523 (main) and 24-186513 (aux). These are the shocks Bilstein specs for a 4" lift on a FSB.

The catalog is here

They are available from Amazon for $67 Bilstein 24-185530 5100

Baxter
CDA 455 and Hoxer like this.

My family came to this country from Texas!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:54 PM
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Bronco Info: '94 Bronco, 4" lift with front Air Lift/TRE Flip Upgrade/rebuilt E4OD (To PS specs)/33" BFGs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panabax View Post
The part number for the Bilstein 5100 rear shock for the 4" lift is 24-185530. It is the direct match for the front shocks you have which are 24-185523 (main) and 24-186513 (aux). These are the shocks Bilstein specs for a 4" lift on a FSB.

The catalog is here

They are available from Amazon for $67 Bilstein 24-185530 5100

Baxter
:Fonzi: Ex-act-a-moon-doe; Aaaa! :Fonzi:
BikerPepe` likes this.

μολὼν λαβέ

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1994 5.0 XL - 31x10 tires - 355 gear - auto locking hubs - manual shift
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
I'm getting ready to drop my new rig from 6" to 4" and I picked up the Bilstein too.

they're about $7 more apiece but from everything I've read here over the years, they should be worth it.

I had mine drop shipped from 4WP but we have one an hours drive away and I wanted to be certain I had a local resource if there were any issues.

Not that I've heard of any... I'm just weird like that, sometimes.

Are you planning to actually flip the existing shackles for a temporary fix or are you installing something like the sky-shackle-flip brackets?

to do the existing, cheap flip... you'll be drilling your frame. do you plan to haul a lot of heavy stuff in the Bronco? I ask because everything I've read and @RicoBronco used the leafs and everyone seems to think they're a pretty damn stiff ride. I went with a used set of sky-shackle brackets to maintain the oem ride quality and it doesn't hurt that they'll mount right up where the old rivets were. They're not incredibly expensive either... compared to the stiff, leaf option.

just some food for thought. we could always use a fresh write-up on the install, if you're cool with that. I plan to document mine here but I'm just dropping from a 6" to a 4" so there will be some significant differences from a stock lift write-up.

I've never heard of sky shackle flip. If you could point me in the right direction, that'd be great. My phone won't let me check out ricobronco's page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:31 PM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
give a man a fish or teach a man to fish: Ford Bronco Forum - Search Results for sky shackle flip brackets
Hoxer likes this.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:53 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 XLT 351 E4OD, JBA and Flowmasters
Mind if I ask who's 2.5" lift did you use?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:17 PM
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Quote:
Dumb query:
On the front Bilstein 5100s; what are the two different colored sleeves for?

I thought they were spacers but when I slipped one over the upper shaft I noticed there was no room for the locknut after sliding on the rubber bumper/washers .

If I use one rubber bumper and both washers, the locknut would fit fine.

Anybody know?
Hoxer likes this.

μολὼν λαβέ

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
Dumb query:
On the front Bilstein 5100s; what are the two different colored sleeves for?

I thought they were spacers but when I slipped one over the upper shaft I noticed there was no room for the locknut after sliding on the rubber bumper/washers .

If I use one rubber bumper and both washers, the locknut would fit fine.
Anybody know?
The little black spacer is for another application and doesn't apply to our Broncos. Just ignore it and move on.
It should be the exact same setup as your previous shocks...the two rubber insulators surrounded by the metal caps.
CDA 455 likes this.

92 EB Full-Size, 351W. Autolocking hubs for 4WD. Softtop Conversion. 4pt Rollcage. Custom painted interior.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolBronco View Post
Mind if I ask who's 2.5" lift did you use?
Tuff country performance lift. Just as a warning, it is one of the most complex installations for a lift out there for a 2.5 inch lift. Mostly due to the fact that the kit includes front axel new pivot brackets and new extended radius arms that bolt to the bottom of the frame eliminating any tire rub for most applications.

The kit # is 22814K. You also need an add a leaf to level out the truck, the blocks don't work that well IMO. I went with the Procom add a leaf 1.5-2.5 inch lift with new U-Bolts. It was about a 30 hour job...
Hoxer likes this.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:40 PM
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Quote:
The little black spacer is for another application and doesn't apply to our Broncos. Just ignore it and move on.
It should be the exact same setup as your previous shocks...the two rubber insulators surrounded by the metal caps.
Awesome to know .

Thanks for the response !!
BikerPepe` likes this.

μολὼν λαβέ

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode