Audio quality 87-91 soft top. - Ford Bronco Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1991 Bronco eddie Bauer edition w/ 5.8L Supercharged, front brush gaurd, ramsey 9000 lbs winch
Audio quality 87-91 soft top.

Was curious if anyone has came up with a solution to the piss poor audio sound quality in the FSB both topless and with a soft top?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:29 PM

Bronco Info: 96 M5OD 5.0 XL all stock 221xxx manual everything
Headphones.

Do NOT tread on me.
'73 f250 401FE in the works np435/205~~~~~ 96FSB, 302, 5spd, manual BW1356/hubs
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:55 PM

Bronco Info: 88' Custom
Fosgate prime series speakers and a good head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1991 Bronco eddie Bauer edition w/ 5.8L Supercharged, front brush gaurd, ramsey 9000 lbs winch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain dewd View Post
Headphones.
Please stay off the freeway..... this is a major pet peeve. If you can't hear what's going on around you please don't drive.

the Son likes this.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:19 PM

Bronco Info: '92 Sport 5.0
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack91 View Post
Please stay off the freeway..... this is a major pet peeve. If you can't hear what's going on around you please don't drive.
I agree in general, but... In my heavily insulated sedan, I can barely hear the loudest aftermarket non-air horn I could find with the stereo at moderate volume levels.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:34 PM

Bronco Info: 1993 Bronco Custom Trim - 302 Stock - E4OD Transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack91 View Post

There are currently no states that prohibit deaf people from obtaining non-commercial driver's licenses.

1993 Ford Bronco Custom Trim w/ 302 V8
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollux View Post
There are currently no states that prohibit deaf people from obtaining non-commercial driver's licenses.
However the difference is deaf people Are aware of the fact that there is more going on around them than they hear so they Usually pay more attention than people jamming out to headphones. I spend 99% of my time on the US interstate system. If you have even seen half of the wrecks that I have You Would not be making that joke. It may be funny online but not so much when your child/spouse/parent is splattered all-over the pavement Getting picked up with a shovel.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fodder View Post
I agree in general, but... In my heavily insulated sedan, I can barely hear the loudest aftermarket non-air horn I could find with the stereo at moderate volume levels.
True but that's a vehicle thing. Headphones are just pure negligence

the Son likes this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:34 PM

Last I knew, at least in Kansas, it is illegal to drive with heads on/ ear buds in.

Why are we talking about this??? My Bronco does just fine with 4 speakers and the top off. If you want a tuned audio experience then don't drive a Bronco, even with the top on they are eco chambers with a ton of speaker mount locations and none of them are ideal.

Make it loud
Make it clear
Enjoy your Bronco and build your audio comp rig out of a focus

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWolf View Post
Last I knew, at least in Kansas, it is illegal to drive with heads on/ ear buds in.

Why are we talking about this??? My Bronco does just fine with 4 speakers and the top off. If you want a tuned audio experience then don't drive a Bronco, even with the top on they are eco chambers with a ton of speaker mount locations and none of them are ideal.

Make it loud
Make it clear
Enjoy your Bronco and build your audio comp rig out of a focus

I don't need anything with subs or comp ready, I May do a 10 or 8 in sub in the console but not likely, I'm just curious about a good high quality speaker setup to replace factory that won't distort or implode after 1 year use topless in summer.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:51 PM

I put the fosgate prime in all my cars now; 88 Bronco and my 89 Grand Marquis. wife's 97 Suburban got power bass 3ways in the 2 rear locations and pyramid premium woofers up front with the factory tweeters because I was on a budget and needed all 6 speakers. Those all work really well too and are holding up nicely, I beat on them hard when I drive it. I swore I would never buy pyramids again but their high end stuff is actually well made. I have a 800watt sub and 1000 watt amp lined up to go in the Bronco eventually too; nothing special, used volfenhag and a American Acoustic.

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:36 AM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 400/C6/NP205, 9" rear, Dana 44 front
wolfpack91, headphones aren't a bad idea. You can still hear your environment with head phones on. I would say you hear equally well as compared to an audio system designed to overcome the ambient NVH that you are asking about.

While you're safe to ask a question like this in the newbie threads, might I suggest rolling with the answers a bit better.

Now, what's worked well in my 78 with a soft top is to have some 6x9 boxes (q logic I think they are) installed on the floor kind of pointing up and across at a 45 degree angle. It doesn't look pretty, but the sound quality is not bad all things considered. I have 5.25" in my front door factory location. Polk Audio speakers and a Pioneer head unit.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:20 AM

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco 5.0 AOD w/ 3G alt, more to come
Driving with both ears covered or obstructed with headphones or earbuds is illegal in many states.
the Son likes this.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:41 AM

Bronco Info: 92 EB, 351W, Auto, Softopper with 4pt Cage, Remote Start and locks
I have 1500 watts going...audio quality if just fine.

Kenwood head, alpine amps, with JBL: speakers and 10" sub. Good sound quality. The 10 sub is a shallow mount and had a custom enclosure built into the side of the rear cab so it doesn't take up rear space.

92 EB Full-Size, 351W. Autolocking hubs for 4WD. Softtop Conversion. 4pt Rollcage. Custom painted interior.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:09 AM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
I've run a soft top for over 10 years. Gutted interior(no carpet,rhino lined), along with my exhaust, no cats and a magnaflow muffler, so it's loud inside. Most of the time I ride around with the sides and back rolled up. Anyway, up until this year I only had the 2 front speakers. They'd have to be full blast to hear anything. Recently added a set of crawl tunes trail cans that are mounted to my roll bar in the back..Would help if I installed an amp, but I didn't really feel like it. Those rear speakers pointed forward made all the difference.
wolfpack91 and DocWolf like this.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
I've run a soft top for over 10 years. Gutted interior(no carpet,rhino lined), along with my exhaust, no cats and a magnaflow muffler, so it's loud inside. Most of the time I ride around with the sides and back rolled up. Anyway, up until this year I only had the 2 front speakers. They'd have to be full blast to hear anything. Recently added a set of crawl tunes trail cans that are mounted to my roll bar in the back..Would help if I installed an amp, but I didn't really feel like it. Those rear speakers pointed forward made all the difference.
This!! this right here is my issue. While my truck is not gutted it's still very loud, I have a 1990 5.0L cammed mated to a 5speed manual and long tube headers dumping into dual flowmeter super 10 single chambers plus mud tires. Once it gets up to speed on the road you can't hear shit unless it's cranked and most audio speakers disintigrate at those volumes. I don't need tuned comp audio, but a good set of all weather (possible marine grade) durable loud and clear speakers would be a God sent this season.

Ps you don't happen to have a link for those crawl tunes trail cans do you?

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:18 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger; 400, AT, 37" MTR's,4.88's & Lockers,5" Deavers, No Rust & No Knicknacks!
Garage
Do you really need that loud of an exhaust?

I went from loud to very mild and the Bronco is much more enjoyable.

Now the loudest thing is the roar from my 37" mtr's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:19 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger; 400, AT, 37" MTR's,4.88's & Lockers,5" Deavers, No Rust & No Knicknacks!
Garage

Quiet enough to put three kids to sleep at 55-60mph

TexasAxMan likes this.

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmobile2 View Post
Do you really need that loud of an exhaust?

I went from loud to very mild and the Bronco is much more enjoyable.

Now the loudest thing is the roar from my 37" mtr's

Yes. It's not a DD I spend more time in this than I do in the Bronco anyway It's more just to weekend and summer playtoy

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:06 PM

Garage
Same here. Got sick and tired of the loudness. Grated on me after a while.

DocWolf likes this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode