More questoins...Roller rockers (1.6s or 1.7s) and pushrods - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Wrenching for a Livin'

Bronco Info: '85 Ford Bronco XLT.
More questoins...Roller rockers (1.6s or 1.7s) and pushrods

I'm starting to look at everything i need for the vavletrain of my new motor and have some more questions....

Whats the advantages of a high ratio roller rocker. For example 1.7s over 1.6s
From what i understand it has something to do with lift. I haven't found too much info on pickin roller rockers thou.

Also, I've read many different methods on measureing pushrod length. Has anyone here done it or know which method is the easiest or best to use? I understand that i have to wait till i get everything together to measure them

I'm running a roller cam and lifters in a F4TE block...the cam im probably gonna use is this one: http://www.powerandperformancenews.c...Category_Code=

Thanks
Josh

My SuperFord
'85 Bronco......
Welded 14 bolt, HPKingpin D60 w/ lockright, ZF5, NP205, 4.88 gears, SMPFI 393 w/ EDIS(gufx strat), Chevy 52s Front, Inboarded Chevy 63s Rear, DOM heim steering, DOM cage, Saginaw pump, 3/8" fuel system, 200amp 3G Alternator....

ASE Master Automotive Technician
ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck Technician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Ex Navy Nuke

Bronco Info: 1990 EB, 357, E4OD
I ordered a set of push rod length checkers from Summit(I think Trick Flow brand). Basically a micrometer in the form of a push rod. You put it in place and adjust your valve lash then roll the engine and look at the rocker tip travel path on the valve tip. Adjust it till you get a perfect travel pattern on the valve tip and now you know exactly what length push rods to order. If you know what range push rod length you'll be in you can get with ordering just one(about $12-$15 each) I ordered a full set(I think it was about $40).
1.7 rockers are just a higher raitio so you will get more lift out of your cam. For example a .480" lift cam is only .480" lift with stock 1.6:1 ratio rockers, if you go with 1.7:1 rockers then you will have .510" lift.

Bob Kulhanek, My Superford

Hit it harder or get a bigger hammer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcSkater602
slap me silly im a mother F^%#$%*($ retard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
Oh yea! Im definitely interested in a rear.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Wrenching for a Livin'

Bronco Info: '85 Ford Bronco XLT.
thanks for the answers...

is there such a thing as too much lift? I don't guess going with 1.7's is gonna cause any problems? Will the stock 85 truck vavle covers work?

My SuperFord
'85 Bronco......
Welded 14 bolt, HPKingpin D60 w/ lockright, ZF5, NP205, 4.88 gears, SMPFI 393 w/ EDIS(gufx strat), Chevy 52s Front, Inboarded Chevy 63s Rear, DOM heim steering, DOM cage, Saginaw pump, 3/8" fuel system, 200amp 3G Alternator....

ASE Master Automotive Technician
ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck Technician
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 12:21 AM
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
yes if you do nto tell the person who is setting up your heads they may just set them up for stock settings. with a stock ratio for the rockers you may be able to go up to .490" lift at the valve but if you strap on a 1.7 ratio rocker you would be exceeding the lift of the springs, which means they would bind and could potentially bend / break pushrods or something else.

plus with the higher lift you generally need higher spring rates

'01 F250, 444ci of straight piped oil burning fun. 4x4, 6 spd, GTP38R noise maker, Stage 2 injektorz. Lotsa fun!

Let's Go Fishing.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 12:23 AM
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Bronco Info: rusty
cam grind specs should match the cylinder heads used.
pick cyliner heads for your vehicles application.
check the flow data for the heads, and get a cam that matches

Ryan McCormick

Fuel Injection Technical Library
Parts replacement is not auto repair, if you canít diagnose, donít open the hood!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Never Done

sorry to bring up an old thread. i heard that cobra 1.7 pedistal rockers dont require longer pushrods. does anyone have any experience with this?

For Sale - 94 XLT 357/E4OD Trans-go stage II
6" Stage II ProComp,35" BFG/AT 4.88 f (aussie) / r (open) / Custom Sliders, Custom bumper Warn HS9500, Edelbrock truck upper/lower,JBA headers,Custom Y pipe hi flow cat & Full 3"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Broncoless, but I got a 1987 F250 to make up for it
I would verify valvetrain geometry on ANY nonstock setup.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:12 PM

Bronco Info: use to be 302aod and 302c6, now its a gt40p 302/np435!
i run 1.7's and i like them

to run 1.7s, mustang guys just bolt em on to stock roller 5.0's, occasionally needing a shim underneath the pedestal to get the right preload which is .20 to .60. the general rule among stang guys is if you can torque the rocker to 25 ft lbs 1 to 1 1/2 turns after the rocker is finger tight, youre good, if not shim it with shims provided with the roller rockers. i run them with the stock explorer cam, they bolted on with the correct preload using no shims

with that said, i dont even know if youre using pedestal mount rockers vs stud mount rockers which have a stud and locknut, and adjust w/o shims

ive got 4000 miles w the roller rockers (used crane 1.7's with the ford p/n on them, stock on 93 cobras) and i havent had problems , no extra noises, and i cant say if they added to performance cause i changed the whole drivetrain at the time but i do have plenty of power, it pulls past 4500 but i dont really hang around there often...enough btw STAY AWAY FROM THE CHEAP ROCKERS theres a few guys on corral.net that have had crappy new sets shatter, destroying the motor...

Quote:
I ordered a set of push rod length checkers from Summit(I think Trick Flow brand). Basically a micrometer in the form of a push rod. You put it in place and adjust your valve lash then roll the engine and look at the rocker tip travel path on the valve tip. Adjust it till you get a perfect travel pattern on the valve tip and now you know exactly what length push rods to order. If you know what range push rod length you'll be in you can get with ordering just one(about $12-$15 each) I ordered a full set(I think it was about $40).
1.7 rockers are just a higher raitio so you will get more lift out of your cam. For example a .480" lift cam is only .480" lift with stock 1.6:1 ratio rockers, if you go with 1.7:1 rockers then you will have .510" lift.
if youre running an aftermarket cam with high lift (above .480) i d check the pushrod length like hes saying just cause that sounds like a real good idea in the long run with big lift cams building your motor. plus you have a 351, 9.5 in deck height so your pushrods are 1.3 in longer

in my case the 1.7s just make the explorer cam the size of a stock mustang 5.0 cam with less duration so im fine with stock springs etc.

greenmustanggt on this board and many others on stang boards suggest the crane 2031 cam with 1.7s, something to look at while researching

THE GOODS:97 302gt40p, 1.7 RR,MAC equal lengths, Bassani Y to cherry bomb 2 chamber, np435,3g alt-saginaw swap -33's and flares-cop spotlight and 92+doors, markviii fan,new interior DONE FINALLY next up ttb rebuild, maf a9L and cam
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:27 PM

Bronco Info: use to be 302aod and 302c6, now its a gt40p 302/np435!
oh just realized this was for you kemical, a 94 5.8 has flat tappet cam most likely (someone verify this) i havent heard of anyone running 1.7s on a flat tappet cam and 5.8. are you doing a cam too? might as well do heads too if your doing a cam, and its falling dominoes after that.... id say do more research on stang forums and see if you can just bolt on 1.7s, or if you need springs and pushrods id say f#%@ it not worth it for a 20 hp gain if that.

doing heads would be easier...but dont quote me on that....

for vc's stock steel ones dont work, mustang gt aluminums work with trimming , and most aftermarket tall vcs work. DONT get edelbrock elite's, i hate mine, thyre all for looks, get ford racing ones or the bronco sript ones from jbg<-not sure if those work with rr tho

THE GOODS:97 302gt40p, 1.7 RR,MAC equal lengths, Bassani Y to cherry bomb 2 chamber, np435,3g alt-saginaw swap -33's and flares-cop spotlight and 92+doors, markviii fan,new interior DONE FINALLY next up ttb rebuild, maf a9L and cam

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode