Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Ontario Bronco owners sound off.

15K views 55 replies 20 participants last post by  kulbirvirk 
#1 ·
What Model and year Bronco do you have and what are the Mods you have done or plan to complete.

:thumbup

Rick.

#2 ·
So I'm the only Ontario Bronco Owner? LOL.

Are all the Bronco owners shy?:goodfinge

Rick.

#6 ·
Very nice.

Mine's an 86' Eddie

originally from Vancouver Island.

It lived with it's original owner there and Alberta until 96', when my buddy's Dad (the original owner's Brother) bought it off the Albertan and brought it to Mike Harris's Ontario.

He drove it back and forth to Massachusetts, commuting with it every week or three for two years between there and outside of Ottawa.

I bought it off him in 98' and shipped it into the Arctic, onto Baffin Island, where it lived with me until we were both medivac'd out a couple of years later.

When I got healed enough I shipped it down and rebuilt it end to end, replacing the body parts almost entirely.

It got new; hood, door shells, fenders, rear quarters, tailgate shell and under grill piece. Only thing used was the under windshield cowl, which came from a radio delete F-150.

I did all the attaching of parts except I paid an old guy to lead fill the A & B pillars.

I plan to re-re-paint it this year.

About the only things original on it mechanically are the 435,000 km AOD transmission, transfer case and front TTB axle. Nearly everything else is new, rebuilt, used or modified to work.

I love it !

Sixlitre

p.s./
It's getting new head gaskets shortly

I know I'm a little single minded and pushy:twak but I'm expecting you will both be bringing those nice broncos to Arthur for the Canadian Ford Truck nationals, yes?

Cheers,Rick.

P.S: let's hear from some other Ontario owners if there are enough maybe one day we can have a Bronco get together too.

#5 ·
Mine's an 86' Eddie

It lived with it's original owner there and Alberta until 96', when my buddy's Dad (the original owner's Brother) bought it off the Albertan and brought it to Mike Harris's Ontario.

He drove it back and forth to Massachusetts, commuting with it every week or three for two years between there and outside of Ottawa.

I bought it off him in 98' and shipped it into the Arctic, onto Baffin Island, where it lived with me until we were both medivac'd out a couple of years later.

When I got healed enough I shipped it down and rebuilt it end to end, replacing the body parts almost entirely.

It got new; hood, door shells, fenders, rear quarters, tailgate shell and under grill piece. Only thing used was the under windshield cowl, which came from a radio delete F-150.

I did all the attaching of parts except I paid an old guy to lead fill the A & B pillars.

About the only things original on it mechanically are the 435,000 km AOD transmission, transfer case and front TTB axle. Nearly everything else is new, rebuilt, used or modified to work.

I love it !

Sixlitre

p.s./

#7 ·
Mine's an 86' Eddie

I love it !

Sixlitre

p.s./
This is a story for Bronco Driver!

#9 ·
That would be excellent.

I am hoping we hit the trifecta of Ford Truck Nirvana, (Great weather, Great turnout of Ford trucks(with many Broncos sprinkled in the mix) and Great time had by all.

This is the only year I'll be pushing this hard for participation I just think it would be an excellent way to show our appreciation to all the Ford truck Club members and tireless volunteers by having a huge turnout, so tell your friends and your friends friends that own a Ford truck.

Rick.

#10 ·
I am picking up an '88 tomorrow. Not planning anything too major this year. It has 28,000 miles on it, was originally from Utah. Thinking of doing something funky with the paint. Probably clean up some of the PO work first. Maybe dual alternators and 1000watt system to get started.

#11 ·
Good on ya RRRAAAYYY2

No need fer fancy dew type dual alternators Ray

I run 2600 watts of amps on a single battery and a 3rd generation 130 amp Ford Taurus(3.8 litre) alternator.

Pretty easy swap and major benefits for junkyard price$.

Feast here;

http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=74

Sixlitre

#17 ·
LOL, Lucas is the prince of darkness. Ford went to Leece Neville several times too. My 2G will definitely be getting replaced by a 3G. The AC unit, I dont know, it will depend if any modifications have to be made. But if I can drop a different alternator in without and mods, I will probably go that route. It will also depend on how I turn the second one on. If I go one wire I cant use avalanche diodes in the rectifier on a 3G, so I will have to use something else. Might just use 6G's to confuse people. :)

#18 ·
Hey, pioneer away on that 6G !

Daum ! Lucas takes me back to my Austin days (and returning on foot....in the dark).

I replaced everything on my Austin that said LUCAS on it. Even had the starter rewound with North American stuff.

Admittedly I used a low end GM alternator too (with a custom made pulley that was larger than the alt).

Sixlitre

#20 ·
I used to blame the alternator failures on overwinding them

The Minis would turn 8500 rpms in 1st so I thought we were over winding them and that's why we were blowing them up so often, not so.

As soon as I put the $35.00 rebuilt GM alternator on I never blew another alternator again.

As soon as I put the: Aldon distributor, Saab fuse block, Bosch coil, Lumenition optically triggered electronic ignition system, delivery truck electric fuel pump, Jeep/Ford solenoid, etc, etc, etc in........................

I never had a days trouble from my Mini's electrics again and I drove them a further 10 years after that.

Yes, me thinks you are correct suspecting anything with Lucas on it !

Sixlitre

#21 ·
We Are Here

Hi Rick
I am in Chalk River Ontario, home of the big nuke AECL, I recently bought a 94 XLT, I was amazed and pleased as this is the first vehicle that required nothing for a safety check, the body is perfect with the exception of one rear quarter, minor detail
I have an Arctic plow system I want to put on it soon as I figure out how they mount, I also have an 89 Bronco II that I bought this summer but its up for sale to pay for mods on my full size
Glad to be part of Full Size Bronco, Ontario Chapter HOOOORAAAAAA

#22 ·
Welcome Winkiesdad.

Hi Rick
I am in Chalk River Ontario, home of the big nuke AECL, I recently bought a 94 XLT, I was amazed and pleased as this is the first vehicle that required nothing for a safety check, the body is perfect with the exception of one rear quarter, minor detail
I have an Arctic plow system I want to put on it soon as I figure out how they mount, I also have an 89 Bronco II that I bought this summer but its up for sale to pay for mods on my full size
Glad to be part of Full Size Bronco, Ontario Chapter HOOOORAAAAAA

I'm not a fortune teller but I fore see many enjoyable rides in that Bronco, may I suggest removing the top for improved enjoyment:thumbup

You will of course need the special torques security bit to remove those cap bolts, any good automotive tool place should be able to help you out there.

Also Jeffs Bronco Graveyard now makes a convertible top to fit your Bronco,
They only advertise it to 92 because of the third tail light rule but I believe it bolts onto your Bronco too.

Rick.

#23 ·
Not mine, but Brent Campbell's from the Ontario Off Road Racing Association. www.ooraonline.com He was leading the points up until the last race...mostly because he finished almost every race...almost... :duh You guys should come out to one of the races...it is usually a pretty good time. The pits are open, so you can wander around and check out the vehicles. The guys are all very friendly and love to talk about their rigs. We all camp and have a good time on Saturday night! :beer

1. Paris May Race

2. Paris May Race

3. Paris July Race

4. Paris July Race

5. Baltimore July Race

6. Baltimore July Race

7. Baltimore July Race With His Competition

8. His Competition at Paris

#25 ·
Hey everyone, I used to own an 83 Ford Bronco XLT which used to be my parents! As a kid, the back light in the cargo hold near the wheel well used to be like a night light for me. haha. When I turned 16 it became mine. But at that point it was in such bad shape I had to get rid of it. But I just found an 85 Bronco which I'm going to go look at tomorrow! Wish that she is in decent shape! lol

#28 ·
Well I bought a 1996 EB a couple months ago, and was planning on building it into an offroader, but last week I picked up an 86 that I'm going to build instead.

the 96 is stock with 320,000km massair 5.8 E4OD, 31s and 3.08 gears.

the 86 has 351 HO C6 208 , 4.10 TTB front w/new 8"superlift, 9" 4.10 rear with homemade lift blocks. :smilie_slap no idea of actual miles. 44" MT FCs
rear wheel wells cut out . roll cage in the rear , interior pretty well stripped.
(this is the way I got it)

my plans for the 86:
dana 60 front detroit locker on 5.13s (F350 diesel leafs)
dana 70 rear powerlock on 5.13s (F350 4" blocks)
15"x10" 8bolt wheels w/39.5 15" swampers
will be trimming front fenders to match rears.
maybe a ZF 5spd at a later date.

my plans for the 96:
1997 7.3 PSD E4OD
Diesel front coils
then if I like how it works................
drop I beams, and a rear axle flip. probably put a 9" in then.

also have a parts 79 sunrise Bronco, 78 Texas shell/frame, 72 Bronco roadster summer toy stock except for a 351W

and I will be at the Ford/Mercury truck nationals on Aug 22, with either the 68 Merc or the 72 Bronco. haven't missed it in years!:thumbup:beer

#32 ·
79 Bronco XLT, It started as a rust free weekend mud truck in the everglades,and I am bringing back to stock looks inside and out. Has a 4 inch lift, 36x14.5x15 M/t's. Trying to have it ready for paint at the end of the month,but work keeps getting in the way. I am only 10 mins from Arthur,and if I am not to hung over I make it over there. We have an annual party at out house this weekend and it keeps getting bigger every year. Everyone that stay sets up tents or just passes out in the field!

#33 ·
Another from Ontario here!:cool:
Its hard to find a rust free Bronco in Ontario!lol I have been looking up here for yrs and they are really getting to be a rare find.
I dream of going to Texas for one as I am redoing the body work on my 81 again.
Is there a good place to find full rear quarter panels in Ontario?
I am up North of sudbury but I will go to Toronto and get stuck in traffic for a while if I can find the parts!

#34 ·
If you have a Napa or UAP.

They are dealers for Cross Canada body panels, go on the Cross Canada website to check out their parts, they will have what you're looking for.

#35 ·
I had to go to florida and trailer mine back. I looked at a few locally in Ontario and all of them were rusted more than I wanted to tackle. Even the rust free stuff is a lot of work trying to get it straight and undoing all the ******* modifacations that were done to it. The PO gutted the interior,and installed some really cheap racing buckets. It had 30 years of dents,but it was still cheaper to go down there and tow it home,and replace all the interior than it would have been to do all the rust repair on a canadian truck.
If you have a collision shop near you try them. The supplier they use will be able to get panels for your truck, or as Ned mention an local auto parts supplier should be able to get them for you.

#36 ·
Fenders,quarters and doors are the easy part.
My cab corners were well decorated when I bought the truck,so were the pillars.:cry I want a solid truck to play with.lol Seam sealer can only do so much! A 79 or older would do it for me!lol Another early 80's wouldn't be so bad either except I would have to an axle swap.

#37 ·
hey im in ottawa and got into broncos about 2years ago when i purchased an 89 bronco xlt 302 since then ive used it as my daily driver and the rust has built up but i still love it. This june i purchased a 69 EB with a 302 5.0 three on the tree.. The plan is to restore the 69 this winter and put it on the road next summer and at that point start the body work on the 89.

If anyone knows of parts and or local swap meats im always interested and shopping for the next project

#38 ·
Hey all. This is my first post on the FSB forums, so I better make it count. Ill probably copy this thread into the introductions thread as well. Name is Adam, located near Oshawa Ontario. On Friday, Sept 17/10, I bought myself my very first truck, which is a year older than me by the way, a 1985 Ford Bronco XLT with the 300ci straight 6 mated to a 4spd manual tranny, both with 122,000 original kms. Not sure what gears are in it, but Im going to assume whatever was stock in the truck when built. It had a body restoration last year, so its in very good shape (rust wise, few scratches and dings, but its a truck!) and a 3" body lift. The transfer case has been rebuilt as has the sending unit. It also came with the bush bar and a set of winter tires on stock steelies. Here are some pics I took with my phone:

I plan on getting some better ones once I get the safety done and get it on the road (hopefully tomorrow or thursday). Currently looking for a good set of 33x12.5x15 tires and a full interior in BLUE. (Dont care much for the red on blue lol). Also, if anyone has any insights as to why my fuel gauge doesnt work, Id love to hear some replies. The sending unit was just rebuilt, so I dont think its that. Maybe just a bad wire on the back of the gauge? Shoot some suggestions over. Im definately going to have alot of questions for you guys, as I have been a GM car guy since Ive got my license. This is my current pride and joy that Ive had for just over a year, but have accumulated parts for with previous cars for the past 5 years

I give you my 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT Convertible:

Quick list of major mods: 2.2L Ecotec Engine swap with a Saab 9-3 turbo setup, air ride suspension, big brakes, 19" wheels, body kit with 2003+ rear end conversion, full custom audio, etc.

So ya, the convertible is going away to the paint shop this winter, so the Bronco is my winter toy :) (and Ill probably drive it year round next year if I enjoy it as much as I think Im going to)

#40 ·
You guys are close I'm in Courtice

Maybe you've seen me in the 79 Jade Green Bronco with the soft top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.