Fuel Pump upgrade 125LPH- 255LPH - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: 1996 EB Bronco, 5.8, E40D, Dana 44 SAS, 4.88 gears. 35" SuperSwampers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94bronco351 View Post
seemed the same to me, I followed that step by step.
Its different than the one I have pictured up top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: 1996 EB Bronco, 5.8, E40D, Dana 44 SAS, 4.88 gears. 35" SuperSwampers
Quote:
When I did mine, I cut the black connector off the top of the new pump and I was able to retain the factory plastic bowl thing. That way I did not have to cut/bend up new steel and all that. not saying it is bad just different, and maybe easier.

dcskater602- I used a holly 190lph from a mustang gt. part number 12-901.
Was your mustang pump longer than the bronco pump? The pump I bought was, so giving the length I didn't see it fitting.
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 08:44 PM

Bronco Info: 88 FSB.
If Mustang pumps fit, Walboro makes a 255 that's only like 50 bucks.
The SVT Focus has one that's somewhere around 300lph. That's the most volume for that pump style that I've ever heard of.

My Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue View Post
Could I have a box of tampons for my Bronco?

post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seijirou View Post
If Mustang pumps fit, Walboro makes a 255 that's only like 50 bucks.
The SVT Focus has one that's somewhere around 300lph. That's the most volume for that pump style that I've ever heard of.
300LPH, thats crazy. :) Even 255 is way more than we would ever need in a bronco. Interesting though. I noticed the pump I used has a one way valve built in where as the bronco it was built into the plastic housing. I assume this is to keep the fuel from draining back when the engine isn't running.
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossind View Post
300LPH, thats crazy. :) Even 255 is way more than we would ever need in a bronco. Interesting though. I noticed the pump I used has a one way valve built in where as the bronco it was built into the plastic housing. I assume this is to keep the fuel from draining back when the engine isn't running.
The Focus fuel pumps are the trick for the super/turbocharged mustang crowd.

Exactly. Otherwise it's not going to readily start. Eventually those valves stop working right, and you have that problem. The trick when that happens is to cycle the key on and off once or twice to let the pump prime a couple times before starting it.

My Bronco

Quote:
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Bronco Info: 91 bronco Rain cloud of broken stuff edition
boss what brand pump did you buy??? i found them on ebay... there are a few not-so-name brands on there... you did this write up, and instantly my fuel pump started acting up... it just shuts off about once a day right now... while driving usually... kind of annoying lol

dc

Quote:
I want to convert my 4wd Superduty to 2wd. I can take apart a flashlight in under a minute. So im sure i can handle this
check out the broncos full rebuild
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcSkater602 View Post
boss what brand pump did you buy??? i found them on ebay... there are a few not-so-name brands on there... you did this write up, and instantly my fuel pump started acting up... it just shuts off about once a day right now... while driving usually... kind of annoying lol

dc
Dude second paragraph

"My factory pump has been screaming like a cat caught in a blender for almost 2 years now. Not wanting to replace it with an over prices original I bought a WALBRO 255LPH fuel pump, part number GSS340 and the 400-812 install kit. This kit is made for a 5.0 mustang and is good for up to 500HP a little over kill for a stock engine which mine isn't."
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seijirou View Post
The Focus fuel pumps are the trick for the super/turbocharged mustang crowd.

Exactly. Otherwise it's not going to readily start. Eventually those valves stop working right, and you have that problem. The trick when that happens is to cycle the key on and off once or twice to let the pump prime a couple times before starting it.
Must need that flow rate for the higher RPMs.

Come to think of it, i bet thats why my remote starter would only work ever now and than. And I notices when i went to release the fuel pressure to do the fuel pump which was right after I drove it on the hoist, there was no pressure just a couple drips. The first think I noticed after I did the swap was the pump doesn't kick on when I first turn the key, I got in a habit of waiting for the pump to stop before I cranked the engine over.
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:12 AM

... thanks

Quote:
I want to convert my 4wd Superduty to 2wd. I can take apart a flashlight in under a minute. So im sure i can handle this
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:12 AM

Bronco Info: 1994 garage ornament
Quote:
Its different than the one I have pictured up top.
yous looks just like mine, i dunno maybe iam missing somthing?

Quote:
Was your mustang pump longer than the bronco pump? The pump I bought was, so giving the length I didn't see it fitting.
yes it was the same length as the one you put in. However, when i cut the black plastic clip off the top of the pump it was able to fit it in as long as I took the smaller plastic screen cup off the bottom of the pump. Since the Bronco FDM uses the big bag-screen it didnt need it.
post #31 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
yous looks just like mine, i dunno maybe iam missing somthing?
Different than the lightning I mean, sorry.
post #32 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:21 AM

good write-up...im gonna order one of these tonight...
makes me want to order a new gas tank too... ever since i got that poly tank ive had problems... its not the same size... taller, wider etc... the filler neck doesnt line up nice either

dc

Quote:
post #33 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Different than the lightning I mean, sorry.
The only thing that looks different is the hard lines are longer comming from the top plate, other then that, the FDM (plastic cup thing) itself looks the same, unless I missed something. I dont mean to be an ass or anything, just trying to understand what is different.
post #34 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
The only thing that looks different is the hard lines are longer comming from the top plate, other then that, the FDM (plastic cup thing) itself looks the same, unless I missed something. I dont mean to be an ass or anything, just trying to understand what is different.
I didn't think you were being an ass. Looked different to me in shape was all. Not having seen one in person I wasn't sure if the same mod would work on the bronco - this was before I found out you did it to yours. This is all good info, learning lots here.
post #35 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
good write-up...im gonna order one of these tonight...
makes me want to order a new gas tank too... ever since i got that poly tank ive had problems... its not the same size... taller, wider etc... the filler neck doesnt line up nice either

dc

Thanks

Good to know about the tank, was thinking about one of those.
post #36 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I didn't think you were being an ass. Looked different to me in shape was all. Not having seen one in person I wasn't sure if the same mod would work on the bronco - this was before I found out you did it to yours. This is all good info, learning lots here.
mine works great, its so quiet that when I first fired it up i thought I messed something up cause I didnt hear it prime.
post #37 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
mine works great, its so quiet that when I first fired it up i thought I messed something up cause I didnt hear it prime.
cool, same here very quiet/
I was concern about removing the slosh can, though I might have problems in the corners or steep grades on low fuel, turned out to not be a problem.
post #38 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Must need that flow rate for the higher RPMs.
I seriously doubt the Focus needs that flow rate, it's way overkill. But my thanks for Ford for producing it. You can support well over 500hp on one.

Quote:
Come to think of it, i bet thats why my remote starter would only work ever now and than. And I notices when i went to release the fuel pressure to do the fuel pump which was right after I drove it on the hoist, there was no pressure just a couple drips. The first think I noticed after I did the swap was the pump doesn't kick on when I first turn the key, I got in a habit of waiting for the pump to stop before I cranked the engine over.
Yeah that's probably exactly why.

My Bronco

Quote:
post #39 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:37 PM

im assuming theres prolly no difference in the 90 pumps???

Quote:
post #40 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
im assuming theres prolly no difference in the 90 pumps???
Thats a good question, guess I should find that out and post the years this is good for. Thanks.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode