Tonneau Cover - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: Dead Reckoning 95 bronco blk XLT 35", Fantazma 05 F150 FX4 35, 92 Mustang 302, 89 Mustang 393
Tonneau Cover

Well this tonneau cover is very easy to make and can be finished in a couple of hours.
It is good for protecting stereo equipment from the elements or deterring thefts.

Materials needed
Plywood and vinyl

Tools need
Saw, drill and stapler

Disclaimer: Now kids you need your parents supervision when using power tools and wear the proper saftey gear.

Ok start by measuring from the back window to just past the fourth bolt. Then measures from the driver side to the passenger side. You are measuring from the window because it needs to go up so you can secure the tail gate. Then mark your plywood and remember measures twice, cut once. Cut out the basic shape.

Then put it up on the bronco and measures the space where the seats go and the hole for the handle for the tail gate. And now cut it out.

Put it back up for a test fit and measures the place for the bolts.

Then drill the holes and test fit one more time.

Now its time to put the vinyl on.

Places the plywood on the vinyl and cut off the extra material.

Now this is the hard part cut, fold and staple the vinyl to the plywood not your colths.

Ok find the holes and open them up with a drill bit.

Put it back on and bolt it down.

I made this top for about $20. The plywood is easy to find at any hardware store. the hard part is picking which wood to buy. The vinyl I found in down town L.A. from $16 to $9. The other idea I had was to make a frame out of 2X4’s for support, I wanted to make it strong so you can stand on it. Later I will work on that but this is good for now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
Wow what a great idea, my back seat is out so I could make a longer one......what do the bolts screw into....?

Thanks ~
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: Dead Reckoning 95 bronco blk XLT 35", Fantazma 05 F150 FX4 35, 92 Mustang 302, 89 Mustang 393
Well if you look at the pic of the bolts you can see the stock bolt fasteners. Then i put them back where the hard top bolts on.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Call an amberlamps!

Bronco Info: 1992 EB, 302, Dana 50 Shaft, 6" Lift, 35" tires, 4.10 gears, 3" exhaust, Key-less System, Sag Pump
Quote:
Originally Posted by fntzma View Post
I made this top for about $20. The plywood is easy to find at any hardware store. the hard part is picking which wood to buy. The vinyl I found in down town L.A. from $16 to $9. The other idea I had was to make a frame out of 2X4s for support, I wanted to make it strong so you can stand on it. Later I will work on that but this is good for now.
Ill take a picture of mine this weekend... I made a frame with this type of tonneau. My frame has hinges and a master lock. Turned out nice

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 06:12 PM

Bronco Info: 88 5.0L v8 that needs help!
I really like the tonneau cover, and think I'm going to build the same thing. Could you post the dimensions of the wood you bought, or better yet, the final dimensions? I like how you custom cut in to go around the back seat

thanks
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 08:50 PM

You've almost made a trunk lid! I like how you are effectively locking the tailgate by rasing the window a little (for those who dont know, the tailgate is not SUPPOSED to open until the window is all the way down). Can you get the rear seat to fold down from the inside? You'd have to pretty much KNOW the bronco before you could get back in there though..

now not talking TOO crazy, you could cut a rectangular section with about 3 inches on all sides, put a piano hinge across the back by the seat, and made 2 lips across the sides for the rest of the top to sit on.from the back of the seat straight across, and added a piano hinge it would lift up like a trunk lid (or better, make this section from fiberglass w/ some re-enforcing peices of wood to make it lighter). You could lock the lid with either a lock setup from the back of an old truck cap, or use some cabinet locks on the left and right side. This would probably take your tab to near $75
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco XLT..4,2L Turbo diesel MWM International engine, Cast ZF5 , NP 205 ,Fr/ Rear ARB,D44 SAS
May be it could be bolted to the side in place on to the top of the quarter panel so you could use it with or without the top

I have the inside spare tire carrier...

Bronco 1981 XLT 4,2MWM International turbodiesel engine 185hp, ZF5 -NP205-D44 SAS-TRES- ARB Lockers,35" MT KM2 and 4,10 Gears
http://www.supermotors.net/19331
www.u15.forogratis.es
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 04:06 PM
I'd rather be sleeping

Bronco Info: 1989 F250...had a 1990 Bronco
It's been a couple years since you posted it, but one of your dimensions is off. 31.25 x 2 + 6 = 68.5
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 03:16 AM

Bronco Info: 95 5.0 XLT
before putting the vinyl on, you can secure a metal tube on the bottom of the plywood to help any flexing that might happen. Sure it'll add weight but it'll help keep it more sturdy. or how about a steel strip? paint, and bolt.

but i really like this idea. could even add an extension to the top and make a bikini top for the rear.

I'm not racist, I'm just culturally insensitive...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 12:30 AM

I know it is an old topic, but I loved it so much I had to post. Any way we could get an update to how it held up? I'm going to make one that opens. Thank you for the post
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 12:44 AM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
It's possible... but might be a long shot. fntzma - Last Activity: 02-04-2016

I was very occupied back in '09 and missed this one completely, so I'm glad you brought it back.
great idea. my '90 has the inside spare but my next Bronco should have a rear hanger and I'd very much like to do this with mine.
Think I'd use a little angle iron and stiffen that cover right up.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:01 AM

Bronco Info: '92 Sport 5.0
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
great idea. my '90 has the inside spare but my next Bronco should have a rear hanger and I'd very much like to do this with mine.
Think I'd use a little angle iron and stiffen that cover right up.
How about reinforcing the tonneau cover with a vertical brace in the middle that doubles as a tire carrier mount, expedition van style?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:33 AM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Thanks for bringing this thread back to the surface. What an awesome idea! With a little tweaking, it could be combined with that soft tonneau cover you can no longer get to give you some security when pulling it off.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:26 AM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer
Garage
Awesome! I'll definitely be making one this summer after I finally get the beast painted, or maybe I'll add another row of seats

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode