Installing SUMMIT Shorty Headers on a 1989 Ford Bronco - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 272 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Diesel Gynachologist

Bronco Info: 2001 F350
yeah not sure on price, Im going to look into it for coating the mustang headers in it tho so I will let you know.

and yeah you can coat lots of things with it, my friends dad coated some valve covers for his hotrod

Ford Senior Master Technician

http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...x.php?vID=1309
Quote:
"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 272 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 08:37 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 5.8L V8
Pepe, thanks for doing the write up. I only just realized that it was written a year ago. I know jack about engines and this is gonna help me a lot when I get new headers.

nlink's stock 1990 xlt 5.8l v8
K&N Air Filter Install

Late night, brakes lock, hear the tires squeal
Red light, can't stop, so I spin the wheel
My world goes black before I,
Feel an angel lift me up,
And I open bloodshot eyes,
Into fluorescent white
Flip the siren, hit the lights
Close the doors and I am gone...
post #63 of 272 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 11:39 PM
Master Bater

Bronco Info: 4 wheels, 4 sticks and 3 pedals
well, thanks to Pepe's write up, i just got done installing my shorties (same brand). it was a major PITA. Like pepe said, the drivers side is easy, but the pass side is like torture. I highly suggest starting on that side, because by the time you are done, you feel like the MOST INCOMPETENT wrench in the world. I could not get the bolts started with how big my hands are, but luckily my cousin stopped by and was able to put the pass side on for me.
There is no way to get even a crows foot on my bolts (not sure how pepe did it) so all mine are "gud n tite". Hopefully this week Ill get the Y pipe (bassinii with hi flow cat) on and test drive it, and IF i am lucky, there wont be any leaks

Just a side not, and something that i did not realize till I did the d-side. *put the end bolts in first, just a bit, then you can slide the gasket in, otherwise it is a PITA to try and hold both the header and gasket in place while trying to get the bolts in. I couldnt do it this way on the pass side, cause I couldnt get my big clumsy hads on the rear most bolt.

Anyways, I am SOOOOO glad that is over.

Now I am on to finish my dual batts and full accessory/winch/inverter rewire, and finish the sliders. THEN its time for the Con.

Stupid is as Stupid does

mostly a 94 Bronco
wt4wheeling

post #64 of 272 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 01:46 AM

Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco 5.0 AOD
I installed some Ford Motorsport shorty headers on my 1990 5.0 Bronco last night. It took about 2.5 hours to do, not including taking my time to fabricate some mounting brackets for stuff that was previously bolted to the manifolds. It was a piece of cake and did not involve removing any inner fenders--not even a close call. All my spark plugs are easily accessible, perhaps even easier to access than before when the factory heat shields were in the way.

A noticeable difference in mid-to-upper power was immediate and it sounds a little meaner than before. I recommend these headers to anyone shopping for shorties. They're stainless steel to boot!

Now, for the EFI Edelbrock intake . . .

Brent
1990 Bronco Custom | EFI 5.0 (275hp/340ftlbs.) | AOD-TPWR | 4.56's | 32's | 2" leveling kit | Powertrax & Aussie| Lightning rear bumper
post #65 of 272 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD E1
I installed some Ford Motorsport shorty headers on my 1990 5.0 Bronco last night. It took about 2.5 hours to do, not including taking my time to fabricate some mounting brackets for stuff that was previously bolted to the manifolds. It was a piece of cake and did not involve removing any inner fenders--not even a close call. All my spark plugs are easily accessible, perhaps even easier to access than before when the factory heat shields were in the way.

A noticeable difference in mid-to-upper power was immediate and it sounds a little meaner than before. I recommend these headers to anyone shopping for shorties. They're stainless steel to boot!

Pics please !

Sixlitre

My Superford site
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4970&s=17328#content
post #66 of 272 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 01:06 PM

I'll post some pics after this weekend. Apparently, the gaskets I installed don't want to completely seal. I'm going to put coppers in, so will get a chance to get some pics of the install.

Brent
1990 Bronco Custom | EFI 5.0 (275hp/340ftlbs.) | AOD-TPWR | 4.56's | 32's | 2" leveling kit | Powertrax & Aussie| Lightning rear bumper
post #67 of 272 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:57 PM
What Side Up?

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco,MSD Coil/Wires,3" Cat Back,Summit Headers,Rough Country 2.5" Lift,4.56's gears,33"A/T's.
how much did the headers run you if you don't mind me ask'n?

'89 Bronco-DD
'87 Bronco II Hybrid-Trail Rig

LUCKY13
Darker than your average wheeler.....
post #68 of 272 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 07:21 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 XLT Red/Tan 5.0L 302 stock on chrome 15x10 rims
mude1, let us know which gasket you get to seal! thats very valuable info

1989 XLT Red/Tan 5.0L 302 stock on chrome 15x10 rims and 33x12.5 mud terrains
post #69 of 272 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 12:10 PM

Bronco Info: 93 302/E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD E1

Do you know the part number for those headers? I checked the Ford Motorsport headers on summitracing.com and the ones I found said they were for 5.0 Mustangs. Are those the ones you used, or are yours specifically for F150/Bronco 5.0's?

Ed Q.

'93 302/E40D - The BroncoRican Beast
post #70 of 272 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 03:51 PM

I got the headers off of ebay for $170. The description said they were installed by the previous owner for only two months. My 2003 Ford Motorsport catalog lists them as M-9430-T50 (page 116) for $299. The description says "1990-95 F-Series Truck and E-Series Van with 5.0L engine." There's a footnote that indicates they are designed for stock and "all GT-40 heads." They don't have anything listed separately for a Bronco, but they fit mine just fine. Two notes should be made regarding them: (1) the passenger side does have a threaded hole for a sensor (mine was plugged and my sensor is in the exhaust pipe), and (2) there is no air tube on these headers. I guess some vehicles came with air tubes that ran into the manifolds. My vehicle did not. For reference, Ford's tech line is 586-468-1356.

I initially used some Mr. Gasket gaskets, but could have installed them backwards. I assumed that the printed side of the gasket was supposed to contact the header, not the head. Maybe I just didn't torque things correctly (did go inner then outer bolts). I did not use any RVT sealant. The headers did lay flat on my straight edge before being installed, so they should be okay.

Here's a couple of pics of them installed now:

You can see that I did have to fabricate some brackets for stuff that was previously bolted to the cast manifolds.

Now here's a question: which way do these copper gaskets go on? Does the raised/printed side face the header or head? Also, I am going to put Ultra Copper sealant on to help seal things--am I supposed to put the sealant on both sides of the gasket or just one side?

Here's a pic of the copper gasket from Summit for reference:

I'll take some more pics on Friday when I re-install them.

Brent
post #71 of 272 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 06:15 PM

Bronco Info: 93 302/E4OD
Thanks for the great info and pics, Mud E1. You're right, it does look like there's plenty of room to get to the spark plugs. I wonder if they'll fit an 86, even though it says they're for 90-95 F150's. I'll call the Ford folks at that number you posted - thanks!

As for the gaskets, I have no idea as to which side they're supposed to go on. I've installed a header before on a Toyota engine, but I've never done one on a Ford engine, and I've never had to use any kind of sealant - just the factory gaskets. I would think the side with the lettering should face out, just like you thought, but I don't know. There was a thread around here discussing how well the Ford Motorsport gaskets worked, but the discussion centered more on oil pan and valve cover gaskets, if I remember correctly. If there's a Ford Motorsport exhaust manifold gasket, maybe that would work well without leaks or the use of any kind of sealant. I've also heard that some sealants are not "sensor safe" and may affect the O2 sensor, but I don't know if that applies to Ford O2 sensors, assuming what I heard is in fact true. If it is true, then you might want to use a "sensor-safe" sealant if you think you need one, but my uneducated guesstimate is that a good quality gasket should be all that's needed. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in on that.

Thanks again,

Ed Q.

'93 302/E40D - The BroncoRican Beast
post #72 of 272 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 04:40 AM
What Side Up?

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco,MSD Coil/Wires,3" Cat Back,Summit Headers,Rough Country 2.5" Lift,4.56's gears,33"A/T's.
nice and clean DAMN MUD E1!!! about a week to late i just got my summit headers in the mail monday. well hopefully i wont have to fu%$ with the plug's for a while. nice work though how hard were they to install?

'89 Bronco-DD

LUCKY13
post #73 of 272 (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 01:05 AM

Clicky here!

Brent
post #74 of 272 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 12:12 AM
What Side Up?

MUD E1 my header's look just like your's insalled them this week except for having a slight exhaust leak i love them. the paint they used sure was worth a damn on my 200 mile trip from L.A. to Hanford CA the paint is just about gone on both sides, so it looks like i'll be looking for some one to ceramic coat them.

hey 4xPepe` i dont think you have to have the 45* angle plug wires. i have the straight universal ones and they can be bent to almost any angle. just something i found out.

'89 Bronco-DD

LUCKY13
post #75 of 272 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 02:01 PM

a couple little tips-

easy one- powerwash your engine bay!!!!!!! i don't think i'd ever do headers/cam swap etc. with an engine bay that dirty.... tell you've been out wheelin

tip #2 take out the plugs so there isn't risk of cracking one in the head.

^ i don't know how well it works because all i ever do header swaps into are tight fitting little camaro's, trans am's, and mustang's which we seem to keep a bit cleaner then that :p

post #76 of 272 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Joined Pepe's header revolution !

Ordered the Summit shorty headers for the 302 last night, they're on their way !

Figured If I tried to change my 19 year old original 02 sensor I bust it off and/or ruin the manifold, so it made $159 a pair look pretty cheap. Once they arrive I'll just screw in a new Ford 02 sensor myself once the headers are attached up to this Y-pipe already on my motor

things already flow nicely with this system, but I'm sure the shorties will help this along.

http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...=17318#content

I've got to check in at the local plater's to see how much for Ceramacoating. If it's too much, they're going in bare ! At that price I can afford new ones every 5 years !

Thanks for the inspiration Pepe !

Sixlitre

p.s./
Think I'm gonna use Mr.Gasket Ultra seal header gaskets coated in that high heat sensor sensative Permatex gasket goo. My mechanic buddy told me to use it at my header flange connections and he was right, they've never leaked yet.

My Superford site
post #77 of 272 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 07:21 AM
RTM

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco
I used POR on my headers for my mustang. They have a high temp paint that must be baked on or you can start the motor and run it till the headers just start to smoke and shut it off and repeat until no more smoke. This is the only high temp paint I have ever used that has last this long. It's been over two years on the mustang but of course this car is not driven daily. They aslo recommend that the headers be sand blasted first. This gives the POR something to hold on to.
post #78 of 272 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 04:41 AM
I'm no expert!

Bronco Info: 1982 Toyota with the roof cut off. 351W, D60 welded, 14bolt, 5.13s, on 39.5 TSLs with beadlocks.
Good job Pepe. I live by an old addage. Nothin' to it but to do it. There's nothing that can't be done with the right preperation and determination. Oh, and this site helps too.

1982 Toy Chasis & Cab. 351W, C6, NP203/205, D60 welded, 14 bolt Detroit & 5.13s, running on 15" wheels and 40s.
post #79 of 272 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 02:14 AM
Cut & bent TTB!

Bronco Info: '90 xlt. Bla Bla Bla!!
Nice write up

But I cant wait to see the wite up on the spark plug replacement
That looks like it will be a bitch!

I now know Iwont buy that brand of header.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

Do you like going FAST? www.Class3Racing.com
SAS
post #80 of 272 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Practicing Infidel

Like Pepe already said in this thread

Compared to my stock 86's manifold heat shields, I can't see how it could get worse changing plugs

Sixlitre

My Superford site

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode