fuel pump access panel - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:30 PM

Bronco Info: 96 XLT/5.0/E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.E.D. Lee Cynn View Post
why not mig the old peice back in?
The entire point of cutting it to begin with is to have ACCESS. If you hold on to your Bronco long enough, you'll need to get to it again eventually.

If you weld it back up, you'll have to cut it all over again later.

Quote:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
-Winston Churchill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 07:50 PM

+2 I did mine this way also. BTW I did have to go back in a couple of days later due to not getting the gasket/seal correct.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 AM

Bronco Info: 93 5.8 eddie bauer
a very helpful thread! i think i'll be using this tonight when i pull my pump.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
-Hunter S.Thompson.

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 11:13 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
yo,
For a new Access Panel Source
by a SPONSOR; Patch Panel, 48in. x 16in. for 80-96 Bronco & F Series; $35.00: by Jeff's Bronco Graveyard

Also get a new lock ring & seal
Sending Unit Lock Ring 2" # 30240 New
1980-89 Bronco 1980-86 Ford Truck Price: $5.00

Sending Unit Seal 2" # 30241 New 1980-89 Bronco 1980-85 Ford Truck Price: $1.00
Sending Unit Lock Ring, 3 5/8" # 30242 New 1990-96 Bronco 1986-96 Ford Truck Price: $5.00

Sending Unit Lock Ring, 3 5/8" # 30242 New 1990-96 Bronco 1986-96 Ford Truck Price: $5.00

Sending Unit Seal 3 5/8" # 30243 New 1990-96 Bronco 1986-96 Ford Truck Price: $2.00

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 01:59 PM

Bronco Info: 82 inline 6, holley 600, offenhauser intake, roller rockers, crane cam, 4.56 gears
I love the idea of it, but knowing my luck, I will ding, spark, and ignite myself...won't be pretty.

Betty WILL run....
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 08:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20sNaRanger View Post
I love the idea of it, but knowing my luck, I will ding, spark, and ignite myself...won't be pretty.
Yo,
Esp. if the fuel line or ring/tank neck is damaged and there is a pool of gas waiting for something special to happen.

If you still would like the access panel, ask for a price from local mom & pop body shop. Those guys & gals love to chop & cut.

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 PM

Bronco Info: '96, Manual hubs/case, 302, 33" BFG Muds
A cautionary tale for anyone attempting this, or other fuel tank surgeries. A friend of a friend some years ago blew himself sky high while working on a fuel tank. The fuel pump hatch is an excellent idea. I would suggest to anyone that dropping the tank while sawing adjacent sheet metal is worth the extra labor if it saves your life.
tbrooks likes this.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 12:01 AM

I just did this "access panel" thing today (got it done about 4 hours or so ago). I went over to a friend's house in case I needed help (hindsight and all, I probably could have did it at home, but I was kinda glad to do it there).

Anyhow - some suggestions for others who might want to attempt this mod:

1. Loosen the skid plate rear bolts, then remove the front outer bolts and put a couple of long ones in place (same diameter and such - 9/16" - just longer), but snug the nuts up to the same level, then remove the inner two bolts. Then slowly unscrew the outer two to lower the tank/skidplate down (and let it hang). This will give you some extra room to pull the plug (and/or the fuel line if you wish - but I'd leave it on first - no need to spill fuel if you don't have to). When you are done, just reverse the process to snug everything up.

2. Take a piece of steel or aluminium and put it over the the tank/sender location, covering the plug connection, fuel line connect, vapor return hose connection (if you have it), etc. Then, as an extra precaution, put a wet towel over the top of that. I actually used a wet piece of office carpet (my friend has a ton of these squares that we use for all kinds of things).

3. Measure your cut lines, etc - then cut it out; I used a right-angle grinder with a cutting wheel. Wear eye protection (fair warning). I suppose you might be able to use a plasma torch, but it may make too much heat. I would NOT attempt a oxy-acetylene rig. Really, it's such thin steel, a cutting wheel works quick enough. Have a friend and a fire extinguisher around.

4. When done, remove the piece, then remove the wet towel/carpet and the metal plate.

5. Wipe down around the sender unit area (and blow out, etc) any excess dirt, dust, debris, etc - no sense in letting it fall in the tank!

6. To remove the ring, use something that won't spark. I used a foot-long piece of brass all-thread that I picked up at Ace Hardware. Aluminium rod might work as well (I decided on brass because it's a harder metal, and since the lock-ring is steel, it might dig into aluminium - but use what you can).

I used a sender unit from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. After removing the old sender (which had a completely rotten brass float - which promptly fell into the tank and I had to fish it out with a piece of wire), I found that getting the ring to fit properly was going to be a pain. With the new gasket in place, getting the ring's tabs under the tank tabs was challenging. I ended up taking a pair of pliers and slightly bent the corners of the lock-ring down, so that they would slide easier under the tank tabs. Worked like a charm.

Got everything back together, and once I fueled up - it was a success! All I have left to do now is install some hinges and such, maybe a rubber border (or something to close the gap), and it will be perfect. Right now, I just threw one of those carpet squares over the hole (not a daily driver at all - can't afford the gas!).

Anyhow - I want to thank everyone who posted about their mod here to give me the confidence to try it myself. I didn't catch on fire or blow up; I think if you use some common sense, and put the "shielding" like I did in place (oh - and dropping the tank to move it away from the cutting area), you'll probably not have any problems. Even so, again - keep a fire-extinguisher and friends close by!
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 01:39 AM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
I just did this a few weeks ago. bought a patch panel from another member, took my measurements, and went to town.
No need for your steps 1 or 2. You have about 1 3/4 inches clearance between the tank and the floor at the tightest point.
A properly adjusted jig saw blade made it a breeze, without messing the skid plate or tank bolts.

I also chose to cut my corners with a hole-bit to maintain the strength a little better.
Also gave me a good idea where the lines were and the ability to move them aside, if needed.

Hope you filled your fuel pump plug with fresh dielectric grease, along with that new seal and ring. p.o. didn't get the seal properly seated either.

The whole reason I went after mine is because the p.o. dropped the tank and replaced the pump and never did.
He also broke the secure clip and it was just enough to let what little old grease was in there dry out.
Every time it would get wet (heavy rains or puddle jumpin') it would die.

patch panel and basic instructions came from Steve83.

And they all wheeled happily ever after!
MATCHBOX likes this.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002

Last edited by BikerPepe`; 05-12-2014 at 01:43 AM.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:45 AM
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Bronco Info: '94 Bronco, 4" lift with front Air Lift/TRE Flip Upgrade/rebuilt E4OD (To PS specs)/33" BFGs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
I just did this a few weeks ago. bought a patch panel from another member, took my measurements, and went to town.
No need for your steps 1 or 2. You have about 1 3/4 inches clearance between the tank and the floor at the tightest point.
A properly adjusted jig saw blade made it a breeze, without messing the skid plate or tank bolts.

I also chose to cut my corners with a hole-bit to maintain the strength a little better.
Also gave me a good idea where the lines were and the ability to move them aside, if needed.

Hope you filled your fuel pump plug with fresh dielectric grease, along with that new seal and ring. p.o. didn't get the seal properly seated either.

The whole reason I went after mine is because the p.o. dropped the tank and replaced the pump and never did.
He also broke the secure clip and it was just enough to let what little old grease was in there dry out.
Every time it would get wet (heavy rains or puddle jumpin') it would die.

patch panel and basic instructions came from Steve83.

I like this DIY post tech.

Subscribed .
BikerPepe` likes this.

μολὼν λαβέ

post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:28 PM
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Bronco Info: '94 Bronco, 4" lift with front Air Lift/TRE Flip Upgrade/rebuilt E4OD (To PS specs)/33" BFGs.
Quote:

Do you have a body lift or is that stock?

The distance between the panel floor and the pump.

μολὼν λαβέ

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 02:22 PM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
no lift, body or otherwise. stock suspension minus front lvl coils... and fwiw, that's the '90 I've got up for sale, so it's already done for the next owner.
dash_cam and CDA 455 like this.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 02:53 PM
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Quote:
no lift, body or otherwise. stock suspension minus front lvl coils... and fwiw, that's the '90 I've got up for sale, so it's already done for the next owner.
Rock on !

I'll be doing this next month being that I've owned my Bronco for about 15 years and never replaced said fuel pump assembly.

Since I replaced/rebuilt most other worn parts I figure I'd be proactive and replace that as well, instead of waiting for it to die.
BikerPepe` likes this.

μολὼν λαβέ

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:30 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger; 400, AT, 37" MTR's,4.88's & Lockers,5" Deavers, No Rust & No Knicknacks!
Garage
I just don't see how this is that much more convenient than dropping the tank. I can drop the tank in 30 mins and pulling the carpets, etc will take 15 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:11 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco
33 gallons of fuel and the filler neck connections Never fails on any vehicle I have owned the fuel pump fails soon after I fill the tank.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmandrumz View Post
A cautionary tale for anyone attempting this, or other fuel tank surgeries. A friend of a friend some years ago blew himself sky high while working on a fuel tank. The fuel pump hatch is an excellent idea. I would suggest to anyone that dropping the tank while sawing adjacent sheet metal is worth the extra labor if it saves your life.
We do this kind of stuff all the time at work, put a fan blowing air underneath and if have a small leak and vapors, they will blow away. but if you smell vapors then its too big of a leak to have any sparks around. You can also cover a battery with a wet towel any time you are cutting or welding under the hood.

Russ K
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:54 AM

Bronco Info: 87 Full size, 351W, 6"⬆
Redneck stitches

I haven't had to swap the fuel pump in the bronco yet, but just did one in my pickup. I used a saw as a flood of grinder sparks directly over a fuel tank seemed unwise. Stopped the two parrellel cuts at the same rib and bent the panel up for access.

Here's the redneck stitches part. I used plywood clips instead of flat strip steel. Bending the tabs on what is the tank side of the clip up towards the bed made it clip right on to the steel panel I bent up. Pushed it back down flat and used self tapping roofing screws to secure in place.
Went with clips because it puts a support both above and below the new seam.

I'd post a picture, but I'm new here and either can't find the method or am not allowed to yet.
miesk5 likes this.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:56 PM

Garage
Yo FirewoodMachine,
Look at your Introuction post @ Hello all.
I replied with info such as, How to POST PICTURES

BTW, very good info on the clips!

EDIT; START A NEW THREAD IN NOOBIE SECTION TO HELP BUILD YOUR POST COUNT AND GET MORE VISIBILITY

THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!

Last edited by miesk5; 03-27-2017 at 01:02 PM. Reason: EDIT; START A NEW THREAD IN NOOBIE SECTION TO HELP BUILD YOUR POST COUNT AND GET MORE VISIBILITY
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:02 AM

Excellent thread. Im going to tag this for (near) future reference.

Thanks,

Eric
95 XLT 5.8L
2011 Mustang GT, 6 spd

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode