I flipped the TRE's to the top of the knuckles today, took a few pics to document the work
I got tired of bending, breaking and knocking the steering to hell, here's a pic of the carnage..
What you will need is a 7 Degree reamer, they are not cheap, but I bartered one for some primo beer (which I tried last night SWAT, not bad not bad!)
You will also need a 1/2 drill, some grease, and to do it right you will also need the conversion sleeves, i used these:
they worked perfectly.
Here's the reamer and the sleeves.
Anyway i started by pulling the bronco into my 90 year old garage its small.. but its a place to work!
And we are about to begin.
Passenger side before the operation
Drivers side before operation
Drivers side TRE removed
Passenger Side TRE removal
Slight tap with a rubber mallet or steel hammer will knock the TRE off
And its off
Now i have to remove the bent sleeve.. really screwed up the steering on chinaman last weekend.. you can see how i forced the sleeves so that i could drive back to Denver.. basically i re-threaded the sleeves by screwing on the TRE's...
You can see pretty much everything on the sleeve is bent.
Before i began I tested the reamer out on the stock setting on the knuckle
Then i checked it on top of the knuckle, quite a difference..
I also test fitted the sleeve on the reamer to make sure it fit at the proper degree, only had one shot at this and wanted to be sure!
This is as far as the sleeve would go in on the stock location.
Here is the sleeve as it will sit on the TRE.
Used a good amount of grease as suggested by SWAT. This is before i started reaming.
I went slow and steady checking frequently so that i didn't over ream the knuckle.
Perfect fit! The sleeve is installed on the passenger side. Its pretty flush I didn't get the hole perfect but it was close!
Passenger TRE installed
You can see in this picture how i was a bit off on the drivers side.. i didn't realize it until i was over halfway, i figured it was ok and it turned out fine i didn't want to screw up the hole any more then i had to.
Sleeve installed on the drivers side. Again i was a bit off on this side.. however it fit very well in the end.
Everything is installed, looking good!
Tires are on.. pretty flat. everything is tight
Anyway, this was my first write up so I hope there was enough info most of you, its very simple and straight forward, i know this has been done before but I know i like seeing as many examples as i can when i do something to the bronco.
This was pretty painless overall, again a big thanks to SWAT for the reamer worked well and his suggestion on using grease seemed to work quite well. Had I not taken pics and done a few other things along the way I think that this would have only taken an hour or so. I followed advice and went slow and checked the fit of the sleeves often.
Now i will need to keep checking the toe.. its not very easy with a TTB to get this thing aligned.. it changes hourly!