How I fixed my A/C Vac Leak - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 92 Factory Original 300 I6 M5OD Manual Custom. 3 seats, AC and a radio and all vinyl interior.
How I fixed my A/C Vac Leak

OK, I'm still fairly new here and want to post this up to show how I fixed the whole "My A/C only wants to blow through my Defrosters or my A/C switches back and forth when I accelerate" problem. Mine wasn't extremely bad since I had been taping up the leaks as I found them. It was still a loosing battle. Repairing 1 leak usually caused another one shortly after. So now for the pics and story.

Here's one of the first ones. It was right at the connection point for the Control valve on the vent.

The exposed tubing becomes powdery and cracks over the years. I taped over alot of the cracks but it still wasn't good enough.

So I split the virgin taped conduit on my 92 Bronco and began pulling out the tubing. To my surprise, the tubing that inside the plastic tubing was like new. So I cut out the part that was bad back to a couple of inches beyond and used some 7/64" Gas/Vacuum tubing that I bought at my local parts store.

P.S. old model Schrade Old Timer. Real steel blades, cuts better than any razor cutter you can find if you know how to sharpen a knife, find one. You owe it to yourself.....

Anyway back to the story.

So I took my tubing and got some Heat Shrink wrap and went to work. Get shrink that will just fit over the ends and a shorter piece that is 1 size bigger.

Take 1 end of the new 7/64" tubing and press fit it over the nipple of the Control Valve for the A/C Vent. It should fit very snug and not want to fall off. Take out the screws so you can get to it easier and really slip the tubing onto it.

The reattach the unit........

Press fit the factory tubing into the new tubing. Press in as much as you can get. Here's about 1/4-1/2" in.

Now with the bigger of the Heat Shrink tubing, apply it over the connection and shrink it.

New Toy. "Honey I need this to do the job right the first time on your fathers old Bronco that he loved more than you and your Brother. It's only the right thing to do....."

Now take the other 2 even smaller heat shrinks and slide them over the original connection and shrink those over the first connection.

Resink the tubing back into the conduit and retape to seal it up. Use high temp tape for this as the cheap electrical tape won't hold up very well.

Hopefully, this will help some of the others who eventually have the same questions and need help with the repair. Pretty simple once you know what needs fixin.

JTMcD.
We sleep Peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm............George Orwell
The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy Shit, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer

MY A/C Vacuum leak repair http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/23-technical-write-ups/175808-how-i-fixed-my-c-vac-leak.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 92 Factory Original 300 I6 M5OD Manual Custom. 3 seats, AC and a radio and all vinyl interior.
I wanted to make sure there were no leaks and that it wouldn't slip out after it warmed up in the engine compartment. I think that was the last of my vacuum leaks in the vehicle.

JTMcD.
We sleep Peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm............George Orwell
The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy Shit, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer

MY A/C Vacuum leak repair http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175808
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:11 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Bronco Sport pkg lifted
Great post! I was just asking about this before. you probably saved me some aggrevation. Just before I went out to my truck after reading this and looked at that control valve. I started it up blasted the AC up to high and just by touching the rubber boot on the tubing where connects to the control valve I could see the valve open and close. I found the rubber boot had a crack. I just pushed it on little further and now the valve stays wide open and the ac blows like never before. I went for a drive... Perfect!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Thanks. I decided to do it after I started to repair mine. I had intended to replace the entire tubing until I actually tore into it and found that the tubing inside the plastic was as new and pliable as the tubing under the dash. It just worked out that the tubing I'd bought was the right size to press fit to create the repair. I added the heat shrink to to it just to make sure it stayed put so I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore. I got tired of taping up the cracks only to create another.

JTMcD.

MY A/C Vacuum leak repair http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175808
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 09:00 AM

Bronco Info: '95 EB 4" lift 351w 33s
Just did this two weeks ago. didn't use the heavy tubing, just new vac tube and connectors with heat tape. Very thorough write up though. that heavier tubing looks like a great idea with the heat shrink. Good job!

Rob

US Army Retired
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: '87 XLT, new crate 5.0, rebuilt AOD, new 31"s, new Warn Premiums, all stock w/125K original miles
In case anyone here cares, I just drilled a new hole near where the vacuum lines go from the engine bay to the cab, and ran new 1/8"(?) i.d. vacuum hose to the heater goody........

I support gay marriage. As long as both the chicks are hot............
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

If you trace the hose back into that wire loom, you might find a length that's actually like new and still soft. Cut back to that area and use that as your splice point. Then make sure you cover it back up so it's not exposed to the direct heat of the engine bay and elements.

JTMcD.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 01:52 PM

Bronco Info: 1991 Eddie Bauer
Good info, i currently have the same problem and just needed a kick in the a** to actually start doing it. This should help.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 06:21 PM

Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco Custom
Doesn't take long at all, just did it and everything seems to be good! Thanks again for the info!

There's too much blood in my caffeine system!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 11:44 AM

Bronco Info: 1987 Eddie, 302, F-250 Front Bench Seat, Explorer 3rd Row
Good thread, I have a mess of vacuum lines that are broken and cracked away. Don't even know where they all go, and reading diagrams might as well be in greek. lol

Thanks for the thread.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:57 PM

I need to do this now before the summer time
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 01:00 AM

Very good post.
I see this problem 5-6 times a year at my shop on Ford trucks,

Thanks for posting!

Automotive A/C Installer & Service Technician since 1986.
Owner of The Air Shop Since 1992
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Yeah, we get the "My vents only blow on defrost" posts a few times a year but I never really saw a regular fix it thread other than the one Miesk put up showing the official Ford way of doing it. That one required other adhesives and such where as this one was basically some rubber hose spliced into the existing tubing.

I think the rubber is probably more resilient to the heat and break down.

JTMcD.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 08:43 PM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
This looks very professional. But for though's of you that dont want that much work, I just cut the line back at the loom and stuck a piece of vacuum hose on. About ten seconds and it has lasted about four years now.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 05:54 PM

Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.0, E4OD, Warn manual hubs
Can anyone tell me more or less where that white vacuum line goes to as seen in that last pic. I'm unable to track mine down since that whole vacuum line is missing from the control valve as seen in pic #6
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

It runs from the control valve under the hood, back into the cab and into the control switch behind the dash. If you remove the vent/A/C control from the dash, you should see a cluster of vacuum lines that are connected.

The loom it runs through is shown in the last photo in the Original post. It is right next to the control valve under the hood, and the fan motor.

JTMcD.

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 01:14 AM

Bronco Info: 1993 Custom 4X4, 4" lift
Great thread, followed to a T. http://93bronco.wordpress.com/2013/0...3-ford-bronco/

Here's how mine came out.

1993 Ford Bronco 4X4 Custom, 5.0 V8 Auto, 33" tires, 4" Superlift kit. Flowmaster muffler. Retired Fire Dept.
Bronco PICTURES.
1977 Ford F150 Ranger 400 V8/C6-trans 2WD
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 02:31 PM

Bronco Info: 1993 Bronco 351w
Just picked up our new to us 93 bronco that had this issue. I used your solution to fix it and it did the trick.!!!! Thanks so much.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 05:51 PM

Bronco Info: 1993 Bronco Nite, 351W 5.8L Automatic
I was happily following this well-written thread (thank you!) to replace my broken white hose, and when I removed the a/c control vent, the plastic part that its attached to is totally broken off. Any idea what this part is or how I go about fixing it? This is just the next step in our process...

I have two problems:
1. Air blows out all of my vents except the defrost ones, which I need now that its winter. We also have a bunch of cold outside air coming in from the right side of the passenger floor, not the left where the floor vent is, which makes us think we have a problem with a blender door or recirc door...
2. I have no hot air out of any of my vents. Thermostat is suspect since the radiator and hoses get warm but not too hot to touch.

Much thanks in advance! I want to be able to see out my windshield this winter!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	68441   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	68449  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 07:06 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axilla! View Post
Any idea what this part is or how I go about fixing it? This is just the next step in our process...

I'll respond to this one instead of the new thread, since there's pics here :)

That's a vacuum pot that controls the fresh air(max a/c) and outside vent control. When you move the associated lever at the control panel, this vacuum pot should manipulate the lever above the air box, opening or closing the door that manages the outside air introduction.

Unfortunately, this part doesn't deal with diverting to defrost.

In regards to your no-heat issue, make sure a PO didn't pull the thermostat. It's one of those things that people liked to do for reasons even they couldn't explain.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode