Replace Plastic Vacuum Hoses with Rubber - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1990 EB FSB, MAF, 6.7L, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 4.56, 33" on 15x10 Alcoa's
The line from the charcoal filter is for fuel vapor from the tank. It uses fuel resistant rubber and goes to the Cannister Purge Soelnoid (CANP).

A vacuum from comes from the Intake Manifold tee, to the coffee can vacuum reservoir and then goes out the can to the bottom of the solenoids in parallel. Then the top line on the solenoids go out to the TAB/TAD/EGR.

Here is my 1990 5.8L VECI Label. You should have on under your hood.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 07:19 PM

Bronco Info: 1988 XLT 5.0l w/AOD & Rebuilt BW1356
Thanks Seattle. The black vacuum line I was referring to went to the vacuum can reservoir. For some reason I thought that was the charcoal canister.

Anyway.................thanks for the pic.s. I hope to get those lines replaced tomorrow then all I will have to do is wrap them in wire loom and zip tie the together.

Looking at your pic.s it looks as if you didn't replace your vac lines from the intake manifold to the coffee can. Any reason not to change these along with the other lines?

Last edited by Cheesehead; 03-20-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: added another question
post #43 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1990 EB FSB, MAF, 6.7L, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 4.56, 33" on 15x10 Alcoa's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Looking at your pic.s it looks as if you didn't replace your vac lines from the intake manifold to the coffee can. Any reason not to change these along with the other lines?
Huh?

Vacuum Tree to both Vacuum Reservoirs

Emmisions/EGR Vacuum Reservoir

Cruise Control Vacuum Reservoir

post #44 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 PM

Bronco Info: 1988 XLT 5.0l w/AOD & Rebuilt BW1356

A vacuum from comes from the Intake Manifold tee, to the coffee can vacuum reservoir and then goes out the can to the bottom of the solenoids in parallel. Then the top line on the solenoids go out to the TAB/TAD/EGR.

This one ^^^^^
post #45 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Fullsize Member

That is the Canister Purge Solenoid (CANP). For emissions, fuel vapors are drawn from the fuel tank and are routed to a Charcoal Element Canister. The charcoal absorbs any liquid fuel and vapors are routed to the Throttle Body (Intake) to be reburned, upon command from the EEC. This is because venting vapors into the atmosphere is a major cause of pollution. The line you refer to is fuel resistant rubber as hydrocarbons will break down silicone and other non-approved materials. In other words, that is a Fuel Vapor Line not a Vacuum Line.

Charcoal Element Canister

Canister Purge Soenoid
post #46 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 89 F150...close to a Bronco?
PM Seattle if you have any questions for him, your post will be deleted here.

From the forum rules:
Quote:
Not trying to willy nilly and just go threw here and delete post or anything. But I have been putting an effort into keeping the Tech Write up section just that, A Write up section It Is to be used as a Reference if your doing the same thing/project.
There are rules for this area that no one/most don't follow, eg.Like If you have a ? You PM the original Poster. not keep posting in the thread. If You need or Feel you have to do that, Go Ask the ? in the noobie tech or the 80-96 tech section. more then likely you will even find the same ? posted many time there already. If anyone"original poster" feels that they just need to keep conversing in the thread ask And Ill move it for ya.

So a lot of threads are going to get cleaned up. Please be supportive of the rules for this area. Thank you All. Remember you all make this section what it is and it has some of the Best write ups of any forum out there.

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4 Longbed, 3.55 LS 80,XXX Original Miles, GT40Ps, Roller, MAF, Custom Y-pipe, Mustang headers, 3g Alt, Big 3+ Upgrade, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Sixlitre Tune-up, Explorer Injectors, Remote mounted ICM, Insulated Intake tubing\Filter Box Mod, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 MC\Booster\Rear clyinders, Autopage Remote Start, 9007 conversion, so much more.
post #47 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 01:39 AM
Bronco Master

Bronco Info: 87 Bronco...in progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBaker420 View Post
I have posted this a couple of times from a wireless connection. It keeps disappearing. I dont know if the verizon card I use at home or it's getting deleted. Anyway, here ya go guys. Can I eliminate the red check valve?

I remember this setup, it came on my 87. The vac line is operating a flap in the intake that takes warm air from the cover over the driver's side exhaust manifold when the engine is cold. I don't remember how that vac line is operated, solenoid or other switching device, I would keep the check valve in place. I pulled it off my truck in 1996 when I got my first K&N intake. I never had an issue after removing the entire setup and going to the open element filter.

Does anyone else run an analog vacuum gauge in the cab? I have for years, my 1981 E-150 van (that my dad purchased after the gas crisis, 300 I-6 with a manual trans) had one in the dash, and my Bronco has one for the past 12 years or so. I've found that if the vac at idle is less than 17 in/hg the fuel pressure regulator increases the fuel pressure and makes the truck idle rich, causing an emissions failure.
post #48 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 PM

Bronco Info: A Very Special '86 302
I bought 1' lengths of the 4mm, 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm lines from siliconeintakes, just to see how well they fit.

The 6, 8, and 10 fit well, but the 4 is too big to fit the smallest vac lines properly. I'm guessing a 2-3 would fit well. How did you guys overcome this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven View Post
you could use your own piss as brake fluid, it would just boil at a lower temperature.
post #49 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 12:58 PM

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 5.0 E40D and 4.10 gears
Phobos, I used about 25 feet of 5/32 and 5 feet of 7/32, MAF was the only line that needed to be the larger size for my rig.

91 Bronco 5.0 E4OD and 4.10 gears

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
post #50 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
Phobos, I used about 25 feet of 5/32 and 5 feet of 7/32, MAF was the only line that needed to be the larger size for my rig.
Thanks - the issue here is that siliconeintakes only sells metric sizes from what I can tell. 4mm is the smallest they sell, and it's too big to fit my 5/32 barbs. Not sure what folks are doing to address this.

Quote:
you could use your own piss as brake fluid, it would just boil at a lower temperature.
post #51 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Fullsize Member

I had no issues directly connecting the 4mm silicone lines. I did not reuse any old vacuum line or connectors and connected directly to the appropriate vacuum tree and nipples.

post #52 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle FSB View Post
I had no issues directly connecting the 4mm silicone lines. I did not reuse any old vacuum line or connectors and connected directly to the appropriate vacuum tree and nipples.

Thanks... My mistake was trying to use the OEM boots and connectors. Straight to the nipple is much better. Ordered a ton of the stuff from siliconeintakes this week!

Quote:
post #53 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Fullsize Member

I believe that your tan vacuum line is actually a faded pink vacuum line that goes between the upper port of the TAB Solenoid and the base of the Thermactor Air Bypass Valve.

Passenger Side

Driver Side

post #54 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_P View Post
Guess I should have been more clear. My bad. I did read the first post. If I were to use the silicon hose would I need more than 20 ft? And do I need more than just the 4mm size?
I've got an 86 302, so don't order this exactly, but use it to give you an idea of the variety. This was also used to redo the vacuum in the dash for HVAC (all 1/4"):

9' x 3/8"
40' x1/4"
10' x3/16"
5' x1/4"

Quote:
post #55 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer 5.8L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle FSB View Post
Thanks Booba5185! You motivated me to replace my old plastic vacuum lines with new Silicone lines and eliminate those pesky vacuum leaks! Your thread made it easy.

Replaced the Emmisions Solenoid lines...
I recently replaced all the lines on my '92 E150 with silicone. I didnt try to understand what all the lines did, I just replaced them one at a time. Now looking at the above picture again, I am curious about something. On my vehicle, the top vacuum line going to the EGR solenoid is the common line for all the solenoids that comes from the vacuum reservoir. On the EGR, that line plugged into the top vacuum port. On the TAD and TAB, it plugged into the bottom vacuum port.

I thought it was strange that they were different. Looking at your original photo, it looks like that common line from the vacuum reservoir plugs into the BOTTOM of the EGR solenoid. Is that true?

If it is true, could mine have been backwards? Any thoughts on what the symptoms might be of having that backwards?
post #56 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 10:52 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer 5.8L
False alarm. Looking at the pictures yet again I see that my valve is mounted upside down relative to yours. My vacuum lines are connected in the same way as yours.
post #57 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:35 AM

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco Custom 302 C6
My solenoids aren't oriented like ones I see in this thread. They're all next to each other, to the right of the coil. I got the tab and tad mixed up, removed the vac lines on the solenoids all at once (they were connected). How can I tell which solenoid is which?

Edit: never mind, I found a vacuum diagram. The solenoid closest to the firewall is the tad, the one in the middle is for the tab.
post #58 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
Here's a video of mine completed as far as I wanted to go, I ran out of 6mm line so I ordered another 6 feet to finish one last plastic vaccum line from the 4x4 coupling near the EGR solenoids going up to the FI plenum but all the rest fit really well, I didn't have any problems with any of the sizes. The original cost for 4,6,8 and 10mm was $54.00 shipped and $11.00 for extra 6 feet totaling $65.00 but it looks really nice now all Red....thanks Seattle FSB..

I made a mistake calling the EVP sensor an EGR solenoid, my bad...but NBD..lol lol

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/978539

Good Luck ~
post #59 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 08:31 PM

Bronco Info: 1993 XLT, 5.8L, E40D, Stock......for now!
Any long term updates on how the silicone tubing is holding up? I broke a couple of vacuum lines changing out my spark plugs, so I'm looking at replacing them all.
post #60 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 89 F150...close to a Bronco?
My truck hasn't been driven all that much in the last 6 months or so since it's not a DD anymore, but so far everything has held up fine as far as I can tell. When I did my MAF swap I broke one of the vacuum Ts I used, but that was my fault.

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4 Longbed, 3.55 LS 80,XXX Original Miles, GT40Ps, Roller, MAF, Custom Y-pipe, Mustang headers, 3g Alt, Big 3+ Upgrade, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Sixlitre Tune-up, Explorer Injectors, Remote mounted ICM, Insulated Intake tubing\Filter Box Mod, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 MC\Booster\Rear clyinders, Autopage Remote Start, 9007 conversion, so much more.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode