Punisher Valve Body Install - Ford Bronco Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 5.8 e4od/7.5" on 37's/4:56/shackle flip/3G/efan/cust steer/punisher v/b/saginaw/redhead
Garage
Punisher Valve Body Install

So hereís a quick write-up on installing Paulís Punisher valve body.
I wasnít happy with the way my Bronco was shifting. It seemed loose and like it was slipping. I started a thread on this site to see if this was normal behavior, and someone (sorry, I forget who) put me in contact with Paul and his Punisher valve body.
When I contacted Paul I didnít know what to expect, but he was very helpful and straight forward. I really have to give him big props for being so patient with me. I installed the first valve body that he sent me. It was the same one he usually sends out to all the guys with the lightning trucks. After I installed it, it was just a little too wild for me. I mean the shifts were firm and on time, but a little too much kick for what I was looking for. So I called Paul and explained what I was looking for in a little more detail. He promptly setup another valve body and shipped it out to me right away. I didnít have the time to put it in immediately and Paul had no problem with that. Just that I keep him informed of what was going on. Anyways, after I installed the new valve body, I couldnít believe it. It shifted beautifully, no lag or slow slip, and it didnít slam into gear. Now when you open her up (WOT) watch out, this thing was amazingÖ Perfect shifts, fast and firm. Iíve had it in for about 6 months now, and I couldnít be happier. I actually think this thing has saved my transmission from prematurely quitting on me, and would recommend it to anyone.
OK, so on to the install.
Here is a picture of the valve body and instructions as it came from Paul.

First, as with anything you do on your Bronco. Unplug the negative battery terminal. You also do this to reset the computer, so it can learn the new valve body once itís in. I removed both.

Pull the bolts from your transmission pan. I usually start by taking the ones completely out across the front, then drop the ones down the sides a little and slide a container under it to catch the fluid. Then start removing the ones across the back of the pan. This is when the fluid usually start to come out from the front where the bolts are completely removed. Then I slowly remove the bolts along the sides starting from the front, letting it drain. This kind of keeps the fluid from coming out from all sides.

I then remove the pan and pour the rest into the container. Next pull the filter from the transmission. Youíre probably going to get another Ĺ quart from the filter, so make sure your container is close.

Make sure you carefully pull the filter O ring out from the transmission as well. Sometimes it gets stuck up in there. Usually you can pull it out with your finger, but sometimes you may need a hook to get it out, but be careful not to scratch the inside all up.

I usually clean out the pan and make sure there is not gasket left while the rest of the transmission fluid drips from the bottom into the container. Make sure you clean everything out of the pan really good. Make sure the magnet is clear of debris as well.

Once the filter is out, you can start pulling the bolts off the valve body. I counted 11 bolts and 2 nuts.

Pull the old valve body out, and slide the new one in. Sorry I forget the torque specs, but I usually put them in finger tight, then start snugging them down starting from the middle and working my way out to both ends.

Put your new filter in. this is the one I bought from napa. It comes with the pan gasket. There seems to be 2 styles of this filterÖ one with a short nozzle, and one with a long nozzle. I get the one with the long nozzle, and it works fine. I think the short one is for a shallower pan. Make sure the filter snaps in tight.

I put the gasket on the pan and get it all lined up with a couple of bolts, then slide it back on. Again, putting all the bolts in finger tight and snug them down to specs (sorry, donít have the torque for these either) starting from the middle and working my way out to the ends.

Then I usually add about 4 or 5 quarts of transmission fluid to it, connect the negative battery terminal back up, start it up for a few seconds and look for leaks. Shut it off and finish filling it up. Mine took about 8 Ĺ quarts of transmission fluid, but I didnít drain the torque converter when I did this.

Take it easy for the first few miles, until your computer relearns the shifting points, etcÖ and Paul recommends you give it about 50 to 100 miles for it to be in full effect. Thatís it, enjoy. I would have to say this is one of the best investments I have made on my Bronco to date.

CDA 455 likes this.

93/88/96
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 05:11 PM

the battery disconnect and the relearn only applies to gasoline EEC-V vehicles. just some info.....nice write up. i dont think anyone has ever done a write up on my stuff.
CDA 455 likes this.

lightning2fast@aol.com

E4OD's and 4R100's... Towing, Street and Comp valve bodies.

95 lightning... former bronco owner.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
I am really interested in getting one of these, I just don't want the shifts to be so hard that they break shit.
they can be tailored to pretty much anyones liking.....i can make them shift any way youd like....
CDA 455 likes this.

lightning2fast@aol.com

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 XLT SAS Dana 44 front Power lock Ford 8.8 rear True track 4.88 gears 6" Devers shackle flip
how much was the valve body, and can they tune to your vehicle needs ie off road trail rig, street and off road. i just dont want a tranny that slams gears like a hot rod.
CDA 455 likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 5.8 e4od/7.5" on 37's/4:56/shackle flip/3G/efan/cust steer/punisher v/b/saginaw/redhead
Garage
I can't express enough how great this valve body works! No, it doesn't slam into gears. The first one was a little rough for my taste, but Paul sent me another one without me having to send back the first one until I was satisfied. Once I put the new one in and ran it a few miles, it was perfect. Like I said before, the shifts are firm and smooth and didn't slam into gear like some of the shift kits I've used before. I've had it in for 6 to 8 months now, and went from being very disappointed with my transmission, to having fun driving it again.
CDA 455 likes this.

93/88/96
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhughes2009 View Post
so what is the overall difference between factory and the punisher? i get the whole changing the shift valves in the accumulator body, but whats actually different about it than going and buying the shift kits myself?
Paul would have to give you the technical side of it, but in my personal experience; I was having slow sloppy shifts. 1st seemed to drag into 2nd, and the so called double shift from 2nd to 3rd seemed to take forever. The only way i can explain the shifts now, would be firm and when you expect them. Not hard like with other shift kits Iíve used, it doesn't feel like it's going to bust your driveline in half, or your engine doesn't wait to shift until 5,000 rpm. This is the way Paul set it up for me. I'm sure if you wanted something that slammed into gear like the b&m kits, Paul could set something up for you. Shoot him a message Iím sure he'd be able to answer any questions you might have. I just know i love it compared to what it was, and what Iíve used in the past.
CDA 455 likes this.

93/88/96
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 04:22 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 91 5.8L w/95frontclip, 4"Superlift, 33x10.5 K&N, 3"Bassani Exhaust, Summit Shorties,Blisten5100
Garage
I also have one of Paul's Punisher valve bodies set up for towing. It is more mild than wild but very firm. I love it! When you're on the hammer it shifts quick and firm. Paul will consult with you and set it up to your liking. One of my best upgrades and Paul is great to work with. Plus you get a cool sticker LOL.
CDA 455 likes this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin blue line View Post
how much was the valve body, and can they tune to your vehicle needs ie off road trail rig, street and off road. i just dont want a tranny that slams gears like a hot rod.
they are 200$ shipped. i can make it shift pretty much however you like....typically i dont set the broncos up to shift too aggressivly. not unless people request it....
CDA 455 likes this.

lightning2fast@aol.com

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351w500 View Post
You got a STICKER ???
i ran out of stickers well over a year ago. i used to give one out with each vb. i have to have another run made. i used to work right next to the printer who made them but im not local to him anymore.......

lightning2fast@aol.com

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Thread Killa

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
nope.

They look like this....

CDA 455 likes this.

1994 EB Bronco, 302 MAF, E4OD, BW1356, Slightly Customized Interior
"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

My Build Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191067
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 AM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
your better off getting him at his email adress
lightning2fast@aol.com
As he is not on here all the time, however does answer the emails quickly at least did when I got mine.
Also on the writeup, I would of also drained the convertor.
CDA 455 likes this.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:44 AM

Bronco Info: 96 eb e4od 351 4.10 eaton elocker rear ls frnt, k&n drop in Punisher valve body
I just installed a valve body from paul sunday. All i can say is WOW, and why didnt ford do this. Ive gone from sloppy mushy shifts that felt like it took 2 seconds for 1st to let 2nd take over to a solid split second shift. Solid and firm like it should be, but not harsh. I think i just bought my transmission many more years of life. The hardest thing about this job is dealing with the mess draining the pan and it probably takes 10 minutes to swap once the pan is off. If your "thinking" about doing this, stop thinking. Because you SHOULD do this. I debated for 3 years and i regret having waited so long now. Props to Paul for an excelent product!
CDA 455 likes this.

96eb e4od 351 4.10 elocker rear ls front buckstop winch bumper front k+n drop in gheto'd. 95 eb 351 e4od bone stock for now. So thats two and counting
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 06:34 PM

glad you guys are happy with the product!
CDA 455 likes this.

lightning2fast@aol.com

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1992 XLT , 5.8, E40D
Garage
Cool review and write up..

I pray the guy is still selling these in a couple of years when I can get one.
CDA 455 likes this.

1992 XLT, 5.8 w/ E40D transmission, TTB D44 in front, 8.8 rear, 4.88 gears w/ Eaton Posi, Gibson exhaust/headers,cb radio, 4" suspension lift, 33x12.5's on 8" Pro Comp wheels.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/27670/85749
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 03:41 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: FSB 1991 XLT.......351W
Could you post me a link for this Valve body? What is the correct nr. of this part?
CDA 455 likes this.

One of the few bronco owner in Europe

https://s6.postimg.org/6ovncsvhd/zzzx.jpg
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 11:01 AM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
I think he only sells them viz forums and email. He will get back to via email. I dont think there is a part number per say eithier as they are custom tuned to your liking.
CDA 455 likes this.

The Street Queen: '92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, Roller 357W 400hp/400ft-lbs, SCT Tuned, 4" Lift, 4.10's,
Go Fastish Build: '78 Custom- 4" Deaver Lift, Mild 460, Full Cage, 4.10's
Build Thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...8-project.html
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco View Post
Could you post me a link for this Valve body? What is the correct nr. of this part?

just shoot me an email...lightning2fast@aol.com tell me about your truck and how you use it....mods etc....
CDA 455 likes this.

lightning2fast@aol.com

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 11:47 PM

Garage
anyone know if he is still selling these valve bodies. im really interested in one.
CDA 455 likes this.

91 eddie bauer 5.8
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 12:20 AM
Thread Killa

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
email him and find out
CDA 455 and Helotech like this.

1994 EB Bronco, 302 MAF, E4OD, BW1356, Slightly Customized Interior
"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

My Build Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191067
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 05:58 PM
U jelly of my

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer 351W
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdust View Post
anyone know if he is still selling these valve bodies. im really interested in one.
I literally just got mine in the mail from Paul 3 days ago. He's still building them.
MATCHBOX likes this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode