All About Lockers - Page 11 - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #201 of 205 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 10:56 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT, 5.8, 4" RC Lift, Procomp 1069 16x8" Wheels, Toyo MT 285/75R16 Tires
Garage
So after reading as much of this as I could.
Sounds like just rebuilding the stock LSD is the best route for a daily driver weekend warrior, Correct?
Also use the Carbon Fiber pack ?

Failure is not an Option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 205 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 11:23 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
A spool just locks both wheels together, just a sleeve that slides over both axles and a flange to bolt the ring gear to. Not practical for anything but a drag car or mud blogger. A posi is basically GM terminallogy for a Trac lock Ford other than an Auburn they all operate in the same manner with clutch packs. Ratchit lockers like the Detrot are much like a ratchet that you use for working on your car, one wheel on the outside of the turn is allowed to turn faster while the inside wheel is still under power until it breaks loose then the inside catches up to speed of the outside and both go under power. Then a manual locker acts like a spool when engaged like an ARB and such. Really rather simple mechanics when broken down in the base catagories, my personal favorite is the Detroit as it has been around since the 1920s and is basic in design. The only thing to remember is when both tires break away tracking and steering is lost so an open differential will track strait but at a loss of traction. On ice lockers and limited slip differentials can get a little scary as the vehicle will spin and slide uncontrollably when all tires break loose.
post #203 of 205 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 09:46 AM

Bronco Info: '79 Bronco Ranger XLT, lifted, locked, injected
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander View Post
So after reading as much of this as I could.
Sounds like just rebuilding the stock LSD is the best route for a daily driver weekend warrior, Correct?
Also use the Carbon Fiber pack ?
For a true DD with reasonable tire sizes (like 33" or smaller), I would say a Truetrac would work very well. LSD with carbon clutches would be good as well, but will wear unlike a Truetrac. If you needed locker traction in a DD and you're running an 8.8 out back I'd look into one of the e-lockers.

'79 Ford Bronco: 408-ZF5-NP205 SEFI-EDIS8; 4" lift, Dana 44/Ford 9" w/4.10s, locked
'00 Mountaineer:5.0L-4R70W-3.73 gears, stock
'89 5.0L LX hatch: full 90mm Blowzilla blown Dart 304 w/Vic Jr heads + TMoss ported GT40 lower @ 8.4:1
'66 Mustang GT: 289, T5Z, 3.89 gears and a Truetrac

post #204 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 01:24 AM

Bronco Info: 1990 XLT, 351W E4OD
Anyone knows the bias limited slip carrier from CHA gear? I bought one for my front end (TTB) from ebay supplier but the ring gear (4.88) has bigger inner diameter than on the carrier, I can put the ring on the carrier and it has about 1/8" play (no need to heat the ring). Their web page seems too old to be active.

one of five FSB in my country
1990 XLT 351W E4OD BW1356
Superwinch EP9, Warn premium hubs, 36x13,5x15 Super Swamper IROK, 6" BDS lift suspension
post #205 of 205 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 06:38 AM

Bronco Info: 1990 XLT, 351W E4OD
Problem solved
Anyone knows this brand?

one of five FSB in my country
1990 XLT 351W E4OD BW1356
Superwinch EP9, Warn premium hubs, 36x13,5x15 Super Swamper IROK, 6" BDS lift suspension

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode