8.8 Full Float Kit - Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By helirich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
8.8 Full Float Kit

A lot of people have asked me about my “full float” 8.8. I have never seen or heard of another person on this site that had one of these. I had to do some service on it and I thought I would do a write up (with pics) for those interested. First I will show you whats involved and give some pros and cons at the end.

This is a Mitchell Differential kit I bought in about 98’ I had it installed in my 88’ Bronco for about 4 years and then I moved it to my new (to me) 90’ Bronco. since it has been installed for many years, this will not be a install write up, but it’s pretty easy to see how it goes together.

This is how it looks on the truck. Kind of like a one ton without the eight lugs.

Next, with out the wheel it, it looks much the same. Note the stock drums have to be machined out in the center just a bit. Mine were shot on the 88’, so I bought new ones from Mitchell. But they are not part of the kit. Also you can install discs with this kit.

Now you can see the hub. It is very similar to a front Dana 44 hub.

With the axle bolts removed the axle just pulls out. (no c-clips) In fact, you don't have to jack up or remove the wheel to remove the axle. The hub will still support the truck.

You can see the hub is held by the familiar spindle nuts like in front. These are the old style, one nut with a pin, a keyed washer that locates the pin and a lock nut.

With the hub removed, you can see the spindle. It is held on with the 4 bolts that hold the brake plate on. I’m not going to tear this down any further right now. But I will tell you that the spindle has a spigot that fits very tight in the original axle bearing race. So the 4 bolts don't really hold the weight of the truck. Once you pound it in, it’s pretty strong. If I was sure I was going to keep this housing, I would machine off the flange and weld the spindle on. But it was good I didn't do that on my 88’, since I ended up moving it to this truck.

If you take note, I made these steel “doughnut” spacers to fit perfect in between the spindle flange and axle flange. They didn't come with the kit. I didn't feel comfortable with the bolts trying to bend the axle flange. (the spindle flange is strong).

Problems

First, let me say that the reason I got this kit was I kept warring out wheel bearings on the stock setup with 35” tires. Because of the pour design of the 8.8, the wheel bearings tear up the axle too. Many people on this site and others say that the TTB cant take 35” tires. Well I had many more issues with the 8.8 than out front. Since I installed this kit, I have yet to ware out a wheel bearing. (And I’ve been running 38” tire with 14” wide wheels for most of the time.)

But I have had some problems. The first problem was after about eight years. (4 years on the 88’) The axle flange cracked and the spindle worked out a little and tilted enough to allow the axle to scrap the spindle. I had to drive home from a nearby town (about 50 miles) and it cut a groove in the axle all the way around. I welded the flange and all was well for about 6 months. Then going around a corner with my foot on the gas, Kaboom!! The axle snapped right at the groove. Since the hub kept the wheel on, I was able to drive home (400 miles) with the locker driving the other wheel. I got another axle from Mitchell.

The next problem was about two years ago when The flange on the hub cracked all the way around. This effectively made my wheel/drum wobble on the hub. The way it cracked, it couldn't get off and I was able to get home. It was only about 5 miles, but it was scary.

I called Mitchell and they said they never heard of this happening. But they did say that now the hubs are machined out of one solid piece. (my flanges are welded on to the hub) I enquired about a new hub, but they changed the design so it could except 35 spline axles and bigger bearings. They no longer make the hub I have. The new hubs must be installed on new style spindles. Of course if I wanted the benefit of the 35 splines, I would have to buy new axles and locker. So basically, I would have to buy a whole new kit. I just welded the flange back on.

About six months ago, the flange cracked again. (my weld was probably not very good) Again I was lucky in that I was only about 5 miles from home. This time I really ground it out and welded it good. It would probably work fine, But I never trusted it. So I machined up a new hub (out of billet) for a spare. I changed it slightly by making the flange thicker. I just installed this hub and will keep the welded one for a spare.

Besides these problems, I’ve had leaks occasionally.

The big question is would I recommend this kit? Well, that depends. It has been good to me for a lot of years. I use to do some serious wheeling. (not to much any more) It is expensive (about $1100) I have some rare wheels on my truck (Alcoa forged 15 x 14) and I wanted to keep them. So if you want a lot of strength with 5 lug wheels, this is the way to go. Also its nice that it installs quick and doesn't affect your VSS. And of course, it gets rid of the dreaded c-clips.

On the other hand, if I was building a new truck (I am), I would just get a pair of one ton axles off a Superduty for about the same money. It is certainly more work, but still is mostly “bolt on”. And the one ton Sterling solves some other problems that the 8.8 has. You can check my “Molasses project” in the SAS section if you want to see how easy it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Nice writeup so people at least know there is something out there. I see it as very niche, as in your case, the reason this was good for you was in wanting to keep those nice 5 lug forged wheels. It's hard to tell with your pics, but are the supplied shafts any different than stockers as far as necking up toward the hub flange mounting, and are they alloy?

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

The shafts are about the same through out. Don't know what alloy. Since they only carry torque loads, I doubt you could break one. (Except if you cut a groove in it) LOL

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:48 PM

Very nice write-up and good pictures!

I have a hard time telling how much this kit widens the track of the axle, however.
How much wider would you say the axle gets, if any?

1989 Bronco XLT 5.0 33/12,5 on stock suspension. Daily driver, getting paint and new engine/tranny.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:18 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
That's some crazy stuff man, that's one I have never seen. Hats off on that one.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 07:24 PM
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco (5.8 DD E4OD), 88 Bronco Mudder (Engineless), 90 F250 (Explorer 5.0 4R70W)
Garage
hmm seen them on 9" but never on an 8.8", never thought the axle was worth it. i wondered how well this would work on a 10.25" to make it 5-lug full floater

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNews View Post
Very nice write-up and good pictures!

I have a hard time telling how much this kit widens the track of the axle, however.
How much wider would you say the axle gets, if any?
It's not any wider. The wheel is still right against the drum and the drum fits on the stock location brake plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish999 View Post
hmm seen them on 9" but never on an 8.8", never thought the axle was worth it. i wondered how well this would work on a 10.25" to make it 5-lug full floater
Don't think you could put the spindle on an 10.25. I don't even know if a stock spindle comes off a 10.25. i guess you could cut and weld.
445 FE Bronco likes this.

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:12 PM
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco (5.8 DD E4OD), 88 Bronco Mudder (Engineless), 90 F250 (Explorer 5.0 4R70W)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
Don't think you could put the spindle on an 10.25. I don't even know if a stock spindle comes off a 10.25. i guess you could cut and weld.
i know they make a D60 5lug full floater conversion. im not very familiar with full floaters myself to know. but if one could have a billet hub made like you did or even modify a stock front hub then that would be a nice swap and probably several people would love to buy it. its hard to make front 8-lug and i made my 10.25" 5-lug but im limited to factory limited slip since its semi-floating. so a full floating 5-lug swap would be awsome

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:02 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
The Dana, GM and Ford came as full floaters in anything over 1/2 ton, the one exception was the Chevy big ten that I can think of.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish999 View Post
i know they make a D60 5lug full floater conversion. im not very familiar with full floaters myself to know. but if one could have a billet hub made like you did or even modify a stock front hub then that would be a nice swap and probably several people would love to buy it. its hard to make front 8-lug and i made my 10.25" 5-lug but im limited to factory limited slip since its semi-floating. so a full floating 5-lug swap would be awsome
I have a 10.5 (pretty much same as 10.25) on my project. Next time I have the axle out, I'm going to do some measuring. The guy at Michael said the new hubs use a differnt bearing so it has a bigger spindle. (The OD is same as mine) I wonder if the ID of the new bearing is the same as the 10.5 spindle. Then you could just get new hubs/axles.

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode