3G alternator FACTS (its wins agian!) - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 04:28 PM
scrounger extrordinaire

Bronco Info: 79 460 6" coming soon...39.5s, D60/D60 ARB/Detroit w/ 4.88s
lol, i just bought two of them. funny thing is that when i went to the battery place to see what they charge to rebuild my hi-torgue starter, the guy said the same thing. of course he is a chevy guy and said a 140A ambulance package alt would be better suited. he tests alot of them and said it will not hold up in my truck. they dont sell alts so he isnt trying to sell me anything, just always gives me good advise... hmmm

take a look at TRUCK my 79 custom. 6" front, 4" rear, 460, 37s, 8 lug conversion. F&R discs. this season, i will have the D60/D60 installed, rear detroit and front ARB with 4.88s and 39.5 IROKs on hummer double bealocks, hydro assist and crossover steering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 04:53 PM
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustball
One simple fact... the 3G alts do NOT hold up to off-road use. Ask anyone who wheels in muddy/dusty environments and they'll tell you that they've gone through several 3G alts.

I must be one lucky SOB then. My 3G is 2 years old now in my bronco. I run alot of extremely dusty trails out here in cali. I have abused my battery where it drops to 10 volts and the alt recharges it completely. I did a fair amount of winching this weekend and it dropped below 10 volts the whole time when winching yet the 3G is still alive.

oh by the way. This one was a $15.00 junk yard pull.

'01 F250, 444ci of straight piped oil burning fun. 4x4, 6 spd, GTP38R noise maker, Stage 2 injektorz. Lotsa fun!

Let's Go Fishing.
post #23 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Bronco Info: rusty
mine survived my old engines blow up.
crank broke which snaped the belt off it.
and spewed alot of oil over it.

From what I've read no alt is great at mud and dirt. the problem is after the trail run, the dirt sitting inside causes the problems. If you clean it out before the , it should live longer.

post #24 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 10:28 PM
scrounger extrordinaire

man i was bummed when the guy told me that too. really i trust the guy, i just didnt want to hear that after buying two of them. blasting them with air should work for dust and maybe a "sock" of some sort as a filter around it? at the very least clean water to wash the mud out

take a look at TRUCK my 79 custom. 6" front, 4" rear, 460, 37s, 8 lug conversion. F&R discs. this season, i will have the D60/D60 installed, rear detroit and front ARB with 4.88s and 39.5 IROKs on hummer double bealocks, hydro assist and crossover steering
post #25 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Something Spiffy

Bronco Info: just another Bko on 1tons
i have been hearing about the 3g having a weak regulator, plus since its an internal regulator, once it goes, its time to get another alt. wasnt it Soderblom that said that he blew one of his 3g's by just holding the window button to long or somthin simular? it just makes the large case alt seem like a better setup, plus it puts out almost just as much power.
post #26 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 04:20 PM
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes
i have been hearing about the 3g having a weak regulator, plus since its an internal regulator, once it goes, its time to get another alt. wasnt it Soderblom that said that he blew one of his 3g's by just holding the window button to long or somthin simular? it just makes the large case alt seem like a better setup, plus it puts out almost just as much power.
Bah ! Wive's tales !!!!

Just do the 3G conversion, the large case is old technology and huge into the bargain. It's easy, cheap and very, very effective. Cured just about all that ailed my 86 electrically.

True Soderblom has it in for the 3G, Ryan's output print outs prove the 3G works from idle up and I've had mine on for three years and it's still kicking !

I believe it was Steve83 that said you can buy the regulator kits for cheap and they can be changed fairly easily.

Sixlitre

My Superford site
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4970&s=17328#content
post #27 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 04:56 PM
gone fish'n

Quote:

autozone sells the regulators for $42.

I have winched with my G3, one single 800CCA redtop. when the winch turns on the volts drop to 10 or lower if doing a long pull. It just keeps charging.

'01 F250, 444ci of straight piped oil burning fun. 4x4, 6 spd, GTP38R noise maker, Stage 2 injektorz. Lotsa fun!

Let's Go Fishing.
post #28 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 05:06 PM
aka: kemicalburns

Bronco Info: 94 357/E4OD - ProC 6" stageII, 35"bfg AT, f/R 4.88's, Front Aussie locker, HS9500, sliders
Garage
ryan in the pic of the 3 alternators mine is the style on the bottom. and of course its a 95amp. did those rigs that came with the 130amp use that style at all or where they all like pic 1 & 2.

Thanks
late

94 5.8/E4OD Edelbrock efi intake, jba headers, transgo shift kit. 6" PC stage II, 4.88 gears, front Aussie. Warn HS9500, custom bumper and sliders. RedHead steering and TieRod flip.
post #29 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 05:50 PM
TTB Hater of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopes
autozone sells the regulators for $42.
Ouch. The external ones are half that for the large case, 1/3 of that if you want the el-cheapo bargain basement special.

Ryan, kudos to you for obtaining real results. Your tests tell me the 3G does great on the RTI ramp, but it doesn't tell me how it does in the real world.

I dunno how anyone would ever do it, but I'd like to see test results immediately after both a 3G and a large-case have been made to do an identical, hard winch pull in the same engine compartment on the same motor on a 95 degree day.

It's common knowledge that heat is the enemy of basically anything electrical; as I look at a 3G and a large case it's a no-brainer to me that the large case is gonna run cooler.

Totally Twisted and Broke makes me a saaaad Panda

"You can almost see the dismay on Phil, Paul & Bob's faces when Trautwig is talking....and the pause in their voices after he stops....after which they pick-up the pieces of his non-sensical commentary and continue with their telling of the story that is the Tour de France! "
post #30 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
I'm not sure I am following you guys. Here are some pics at this site of two 3G alternators. One is Large case, the other is not. Both are 3G. So, my 1995 3g stock is the small case. if you look at the size of the case it's obvious which is which. You can also look carefully at the holes, you will see a difference. So, for me it's just a matter of converting from the small case 95A 3g to a large case. These pics are for the newer trucks mounting pattern. Look at the pic ofthe alts. from the front. You will notice a "Y" casting with holes inside. Now, the large case has 2 large holes within each Y casting, while the small case has 4 small holes. That's how I tell.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/Ford_3G.htm

post #31 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 02:49 PM
scrounger extrordinaire

why not stick another fan on the pulley like the large case? that will move some air around it

post #32 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 03:21 PM
TTB Hater of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by axaviere
why not stick another fan on the pulley like the large case? that will move some air around it
Might work..........the fan requires a spacer so it doesn't rub the alt body, is the shaft of the 3G long enough? I'd guess not, since it was never built w an external fan. Also, I'd be a little concerned about it properly moving air into the holes (most alts w external fans have large slots)...............and doesn't the 3G have an internal fan? If so I'd wonder if the two fans would cancel each other out rather than work together.

Totally Twisted and Broke makes me a saaaad Panda

"You can almost see the dismay on Phil, Paul & Bob's faces when Trautwig is talking....and the pause in their voices after he stops....after which they pick-up the pieces of his non-sensical commentary and continue with their telling of the story that is the Tour de France! "
post #33 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Quote:
Those are not FACTS, those are opinions!

I can get a new regulator for $25, its not hard to change it
Maybe I'll do that, just for the tech write up, and to make more FACTS
http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemicalburns
ryan in the pic of the 3 alternators mine is the style on the bottom. and of course its a 95amp.
I wrote this right after the picture, are you blind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Ford part # F6UU-10300-FA is a 130amp alternator for the later serp trucks.
I'm not sure if the dealer would have the best price, shop around and on ebay.
That part number was on:
(1997-03) Ford E Series Van, F Series Pickup 4.2L
(1995-01) Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger 4.0L
post #34 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBlows
Ryan, kudos to you for obtaining real results. Your tests tell me the 3G does great on the RTI ramp, but it doesn't tell me how it does in the real world.

I dunno how anyone would ever do it, but I'd like to see test results immediately after both a 3G and a large-case have been made to do an identical, hard winch pull in the same engine compartment on the same motor on a 95 degree day.

It's common knowledge that heat is the enemy of basically anything electrical; as I look at a 3G and a large case it's a no-brainer to me that the large case is gonna run cooler.
Thanks for the kind words.

I know the 6G alt on new Fords are controled by the computer. The computer reads the alternators temp, battery voltage, and comands the alt output. That might be able to get that kind of data.

Might just use a digital volt meter, and an inferred temp sensor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejuice
I'm not sure I am following you guys. Here are some pics at this site of two 3G alternators. One is Large case, the other is not. Both are 3G. So, my 1995 3g stock is the small case. if you look at the size of the case it's obvious which is which. You can also look carefully at the holes, you will see a difference. So, for me it's just a matter of converting from the small case 95A 3g to a large case. These pics are for the newer trucks mounting pattern. Look at the pic ofthe alts. from the front. You will notice a "Y" casting with holes inside. Now, the large case has 2 large holes within each Y casting, while the small case has 4 small holes. That's how I tell.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/Ford_3G.htm
Great link, not sure if the prices are a good deal.

From what my research has found, the small case was only 95A. The 130A alternator was only built in the large case.
post #35 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Something Spiffy

Bronco Info: just another Bko on 1tons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy50
Those are not FACTS, those are opinions!
who said anything about it beaing facts?

dude time to switch to decaf
post #36 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 04:43 PM
I'm no expert!

Bronco Info: 1982 Toyota with the roof cut off. 351W, D60 welded, 14bolt, 5.13s, on 39.5 TSLs with beadlocks.
I got a 3G today off of a 93 Sable. In the middle it says 130A. I also took a big chunk of the harness so hopefully I'll have enough wire to work with. I got the alternator, oil cooler w/ hose and engine attatchment, Transmision cooler, F250 Master Cylinder, Booster, power steering pump reservoir, and two T shirts today for $75 at my local Pick n Pull's half price sale. Whaaaat a bargain!!

1982 Toy Chasis & Cab. 351W, C6, NP203/205, D60 welded, 14 bolt Detroit & 5.13s, running on 15" wheels and 40s.
post #37 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 06:08 PM
gone fish'n

Quote:
Ouch. The external ones are half that for the large case, 1/3 of that if you want the el-cheapo bargain basement special.
I got my 130 amp G3 from the junk yard. It costed me like $15 bucks.

Quote:

Oh looky here. I got both in my bronco...Wait the top one is a welder

Let's Go Fishing.
post #38 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNorm
I got a 3G today off of a 93 Sable. In the middle it says 130A. I also took a big chunk of the harness so hopefully I'll have enough wire to work with. I got the alternator, oil cooler w/ hose and engine attatchment, Transmision cooler, F250 Master Cylinder, Booster, power steering pump reservoir, and two T shirts today for $75 at my local Pick n Pull's half price sale. Whaaaat a bargain!!

Bargain ?!

Norm you ought to be arrested for stealing !!!!!!!

What a deal !

Sixlitre

Jopes

Nice freakin' work !

Sixlitre

My Superford site
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4970&s=17328#content
post #39 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 12:22 AM
scrounger extrordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopes
you got that bolted down yet?? you get pics of the cables & stuff?

post #40 of 481 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 01:54 AM
gone fish'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by axaviere
you got that bolted down yet?? you get pics of the cables & stuff?

too lazy.

some day.

Let's Go Fishing.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode