Oil Pan+Pump Replacment (56K Warrning!) - Ford Bronco Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 95' All black 351w, E4OD, 3:55
Oil Pan+Pump Replacment (56K Warrning!)

As many of us FSB owners know the oil pan has a tendency to rust out, and what a wonderful thing because of how much work it takes to change. It took me seven hours of lying on my back in the drive way, getting dirtier than I ever have been before. This is a walk through of with I did.

First, acquire all the parts you need. I chose to spray a couple generous coats of truck bead coating on the pan the day before, to maybe avoid the problem again. I also decided sine I was down there I would replace my oil pump.

This is the stock pan, notice the rust bubbles, they are way worse on the other side, I just couldnít get a picture.

Step 1: Drain oil and you can see the oil on my front axle from the filter.

Next I removed the fan from the clutch so it would not hit the shroud or radiator when I moved the engine.

The, with lots of heat I removed t he nuts holding the crossover pipes on the exhaust manifolds.

This one took the whole stud out, well poo. The nuts were 2 different sizes, a 15mm and 16mm. I thought that was weird?!?

Then I unbolted the motor mounts from below, that was easy as pie.

Now that the engine mounts are un-bolted I can jack up the engine, make sure to use a piece of wood between where ever it is you jack it up from, I just used the oil pan. And as you can see there was a little spill.

Jacked it up until the upper intake hit the fire wall.

Next I jammed a piece of wood between the motor mounts and the cross member, I had to ďcustomĒ make the wood, cause it was not a normal size.

With the engine jacked up you can un-bolt the oil pan, and the oil pump. The oil pump has two bolts in it, one of them visible in this picture; itís the small bolt right near the harmonic balancer in this picture. Once the oil pump is un-bolted, just let it fall into the pan. You also have to remove a nut the holds the pick-up tube to the engine, itís about midway back.

Too get the pan out I had to disconnect my exhaust where the muffler meets the cat, not hard since I put a new cat back on 2 years ago.

I also had to remove the muffler from its hangers.

I also have to remove the inspection plate on the tranny, yes it was that close, but by disconnecting the exhaust and removing this piece; I did not have to take the upper intake off. YAY!

With the pan off you can inspect the bottom end of the motor, everything looked ship shape to me. You can see where the oil pick-up attaches, it is the main bolt which is also a stud. (If that makes sense.)

The pump and the pick-up will still be attached when the pan come off, I thought it was easier to do it this way. Make sure you clean the pick-up tube, mine did not have anything in it, but I cleaned it anyway.

The old pump on the left and the new one on the right. I decided to get a Melling high flow pump to replace the stocker; I figure you canít have too much oil. It was twice as heavy and quite a bit bigger, will suck later.

Bolted the pick-up to the new pump, the little rod sticking out of the pump is the drive shaft for it, which runs off the distributor. If there is one tip I can offer, it is to make sure and look at where the stock one connects to the distributor, because I didnít and it was a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS to find where to put it back in. Also make sure you clean off the old gaskets, mine were really on there.

I set it all in the pan and ran the pump backwards by hand to prime it, donít want to start up dry.

With the pump and pick-up in the pan, along with the gasket set in place throw it back up in place, it was a really tight fit, I guess because the old pan kinda broke apart upon removal.

Now you have to bolt in the oil pump and pick-up. Easier said than done, because the oil pump was heavier it was a PAIN to hold it in place with one finger and try to get a bolt in, and this was also when I played around with the pump shaft for frickiní ever. But once you get the pump on just bolt the pan on. Making sure the gasket made a good seal.

All bolted in, looks good. Now all left to do is reconnect everything and test run it. I ran it for a Ĺ hour in the driveway, not leaks accept for a little one from the drain plug I didnít quite tighten up.

I have never been dirtier in my life, not to mention really sore the next day.

With a sticker on the inside of the hood, I mark the project off my list.

The B'co

All Black 95' 351w,E4OD, 2.5" lift, 32x11.50 BFG's, 3:55
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 10:02 PM

Bronco Info: Dead Carcas of a 85' Bronco
Talking

Wow... The Coincidence of ya write up is scary!! Good write up!

Looks like this will guide me through my quest!
post #3 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKY18

I have never been dirtier in my life, not to mention really sore the next day.

Thats the dirtest you have ever been? you should come help me on a weekend project some day

Lots of good pics you got there, and very informative.

Is that new pan a stock pan? it looked deeper than the stock one.

post #4 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 11:54 PM
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Nice work Trucky18 !

Didn't do you rear main seal when you were in there ? Man, unless 302s are easier, I'll be living with my rear main seal leak!!!!!!!!!!

That or pull the engine out to do her ! Mine only leaks under severe acceleration, splashes onto the Y-pipe.

Sixlitre

p.s./
Not to fault you, but I'm with Blackie I'm rarely that clean when I crawl out from under my Bronco. You gotta get dirty mo' often.

p.p.s./
For extra points you should have gone for and in-truck, in-pan windage tray instalation just kidding ya dunn good.
PearlJam likes this.

My Superford site
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4970&s=17328#content
post #5 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 01:49 AM
Past Bronco Owner

Bronco Info: 2015 4Runner in - Bronco out - to another member
Good write-up man. I feel your pain. I had to remove and clean my pickup tube a few months back so I know what you went through.

Bronco is sold to another member but the memory will live on.
I still come here to keep up with wheeling buddies and check out their rides.
post #6 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
Great write up..
post #7 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 01:08 PM
shibby

Nah, the 302 has a one-piece seal. Tranny has to come off to replace it.
post #8 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 01:08 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco XLT...pretty stock...for now
Just what I have been looking for...a write-up with PICS!!!!

Awesome.

Tackling this little task this weekend, was goign to pull the motor, but will give this a whirl and see how far we get.

I will have to post up a pic...I am pretty sure we will be much dirtier than that

You know you have done a good days work when you have to shower with Orange Glo
post #9 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Explorer driving

Bronco Info: '97 Explorer Sport 4x4
Great write-up!

A sharp tongue can cut your own throat.
post #10 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustball
Nah, the 302 has a one-piece seal. Tranny has to come off to replace it.
D'oh !!!!!

And what year did the one piece units start ? (I'm an 86er)

Sixlitre

My Superford site
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4970&s=17328#content
post #11 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixlitre
D'oh !!!!!

And what year did the one piece units start ? (I'm an 86er)

Sixlitre

Ya, thats what i was gonna say. I was a dirtyer than i look, fawking oil all over my back, cause i might have laid in it

The B'co

post #12 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackiE
Thats the dirtest you have ever been? you should come help me on a weekend project some day

Lots of good pics you got there, and very informative.

Is that new pan a stock pan? it looked deeper than the stock one.

It was a stock replacment from Autozone, but it fit just like the factory one. So im thinkin yes, but i dunno 100%

The B'co

post #13 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 12:21 AM

Your write-up worked like a charm...
post #14 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 02:10 PM

So Tiff did you get it all done???

Did you ID any obvious problems?

Dan
post #15 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 03:12 PM

Bronco Info: 90 XLT/351W, 6" LFT SAS, 9" 35" TIRES , 4.56, LOCKED, REALLY COOL SNORKEL, OTHER COSTLY CHIT
So, Tiff, you gotta love the smell of oil in the morning!

Riding on in the mist of morning, no one dares stand in my way...possessed by some distant calling, riding on through night and day.

PETE HALEY
post #16 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 04:05 PM

Ugh...yeah, it got done....then we promptly realized that the new pump is just a smidge bigger than the stock one...as it punched a hole in the bottom of the oil pan.

So yeah, the write-up was great, MadProjection followed it exactly, but now it gets to be done all over again so the oil pan can be replaced....SIGH!!!!!

But yeah, there was a good amount of sludge and gunk in the pan. I just looked at the screen and it is pretty nasty, even with a ton of the crap falling off in the pan during removal.
post #17 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 05:52 PM

Bronco Info: Dead Carcas of a 85' Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER
So, Tiff, you gotta love the smell of oil in the morning!
The smell of Oil aint the worse thing, all must agree Gear Lube is worse than Motor Oil...! But I definately woke up smelling like Gunk Engine Brite and Motor Oil with a hint of seafoam.... After taking probably the longest shower in my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUEG
So Tiff did you get it all done???

Did you ID any obvious problems?

Dan
It got done in about 9 hours, with about a hour n a 1/2 or parts procurement, and me contemplating for 30+ minutes on where to cut the stock exhaust so I can drop the pan (And it gave me a reason to play with the sawzall). So realistically 6-7 hours of work was done.

Problems..... not too many, just that Melling HV pumps and stock pans dont mix. Since there is a lovely crack in the pan, where the pump sits now. Can you see the enthusiam I am exhibiting to fix it.

The major Pita of yesterday was exacally as Trucky18 said, the Drive shaft for the pump is a pita to align under the 351W when you install the new pump, and removing/putting back the pickup tube requires many midgets with an extra joint in the arm, and the front pan seal is a pita.....had to use a 2 piece :(.

Tiffster has allowed a day off for me, since snow is coming in CO, and my right arm is mangled severly....

But round two will more than likely be next week.

Trucky 18, sorry to steal your thread in tech, but thanks for the write up, it worked to the T.

MP

The 'Fruck': 89' Bko, Fresh 351 with D08E heads, Comp Cam 35-235-3, Ross Racing Pistons, Eagle 4340 crankshaft, Cloyes Double Roller Timing Chain, and a bunch of little crap... Bolted up to a slightly built C6 with TCI Low stall TC and HD Clutches.
post #18 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madprojection
Problems..... not too many, just that Melling HV pumps and stock pans dont mix. Since there is a lovely crack in the pan, where the pump sits now. Can you see the enthusiam I am exhibiting to fix it. MP

huh, mines doin fine maybe i did get some crazy deeper pan from advance, hum, I dunno Yours does have the little bumped out area around where the pump goes doesnt it?

The B'co

post #19 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 11:11 PM
Screw the Jeep Thing

Ah I remember the joys of doing all that.. But I did it for a rear main seal on my '85 bronco. '69 block is a 2 peice seal but you have to pull the tranny to get to the top.

My '93 302 had a rear main leak. I paid the $450 to get it replaced. Best money I ever spend on that truck:)
mrbollero likes this.

CLICK ON THE BANNER MY 85 BRONCO (RIP old friend)
'84 Bronco (SOLD) - I6 Motor, ALL STOCK
'93 Bronco Eddie Baurer (SOLD) - 302, E40D, 1356, 6" Lift, 35x12.5 BFG AT's
'94 Bronco XLT - Build to play hard
post #20 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 11:49 PM

Hey Trucky, did you order your pan from Advance Auto or Autozone?

Looking for FSB...what ya got near Colorado

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode