• 5 Post By mrbollero
  • 1 Post By mrbollero
  • 1 Post By BroncoJoe96

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
Painting with Monstaliner

What I learned from painting my '79 Bronco with Monstaliner. Monstaliner provides good instructions with plenty of detail, but there are few things they don't describe too well.

-It's a great value. It does seem pricey compared to other bedliners, but for the quality and easy of installation it was worth it. I had about $350 into the paint (2 gallon kit plus 3 colors since one of the colors I used was a mix of two) from Monstaliner plus random other supplies like rags, acetone, etc.

-Give yourself plenty of time for prep. If your paint is old and crusty like mine, you don't need to do much sanding. You just have to get rid of the gloss and any flaking spots. There are some sanding pads that come with the kit. Also, make sure you take care of serious rust- Chassis Saver is a good option. You can use this link for a promotion for free Chassis Saver and shipping. They honored it when I ordered this summer (2016). I used gloss black Chassis Saver since I'm also going to use it to paint my frame, but if you're just using it on the body I would use one of the other lighter colors so it's easier to paint over (fewer coats needed).
Monstaliner

-Order lots of extra rollers. If you're really set on having more pronounced texture, you probably need at least four, probably 5, per gallon. The 2 gallon kit only comes with 3 in all. Don't use much pressure when rolling, just enough to get the paint to come out of the roller. Keep the roller full of paint, roll VERY slowly, and don't push too hard. I learned the hard way that the roller will disintegrate very quickly if you push too hard and go too fast, leaving you with lots of little blue flecks in the paint and chunks that stick up. I used regular paint rollers for the first coat (or two for spots where I was using a very different color from the original), then used the provided foam rollers for the final texture layer. I think it turned out a little less textured that it would have otherwise, but it was worth it not to have the little pieces buried in the paint.

-2 Gallons worked out really well for me for the whole exterior of the truck, including the top, and the floor of the interior. I didn't go up the walls on the inside rear 1/4 panels, but you might be able to stretch it to make it work.

-Wear gloves. Buy a box of disposable gloves (cheap at Harbor Freight) and keep them on. It's really hard to remove the paint, especially Chassis Saver, from your skin.

-I used my garage and left the door open except when the sun was shining in the morning (when I left it open halfway) since you're not supposed to use the paint on metal in direct sun. Had no problem with ventilation and smell though I did have a headache after painting all day on both days I painted. Probably a combination of fumes and fatigue.

-Tape anything you don't want to get paint on. Including windshield and rear top seals- I thought I'd be able to control the roller but the paint has a tendency to splatter.

-If you do two colors like I did I would recommend putting a good amount of time between the two colors. I painted the white on a Monday and a red on a Tuesday. The problem that I ran into was that when painting red, anytime that a little red paint got onto the white, which is going to happen, when I wiped the white section with acetone it wasn't dry enough and the acetone took off some of the white paint. I had to go back over each of theses patches later with white to fill in the texture and fix the color. I would recommend doing one color on a Saturday and then doing the other color the next Saturday, but that would put your truck out of commission for a couple weeks.

If you've got any other questions I'd be glad to answer them, but these are just the things off the top of my head I wish I'd known before starting.

Pics:

BikerPepe`, JGR, dash_cam and 2 others like this.

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:00 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, basically stock. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
That looks really good. I like the two tone

it's fun to do bad things

my "build" thread
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 02:49 PM
Govt. paid Admin.

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2 or 33x12.5 GYW Duratrac
Garage
excellent brush work. been a fan of the Monstaliner since I did the floor on my '73 F250 and seen a few exterior paints jobs here and there but that two tone is one of the best.

only thing I would have done differently than I did was to add some of those plastic texture beads to the floorpan's last coat. the texture provided by the rollers is decent but still a little slicker than I care for.

Bronco looks great, especially for a $300 paint job that should last for decades!

Last edited by BikerPepe`; 11-21-2016 at 02:52 PM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post

only thing I would have done differently than I did was to add some of those plastic texture beads to the floorpan's last coat. the texture provided by the rollers is decent but still a little slicker than I care for.
Thanks guys- I'm happy with with it. I wish I had spent more time evening out the bondo and other panels that I added but overall it's a great 20 foot job

Pepe, that's a great suggestion- wish I would've thought of that. I might do that for the high traffic areas when i got to touch up a few spots in the spring. I've almost smacked my face a few times working on it with wet shoes!
BikerPepe` likes this.

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 05:49 PM

That's looks great! I almost wish I went with Monstaliner when I painted my last car.

85 351 Auto 4x4
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 02:26 PM

That looks great. I did a strip of Huculinar at the bottom of my truck for rock chip guard. I hadn't even thought about doing the whole truck.

Vochy: '06 F-150, Black Supercab Short box, 5.4L 4x4 XLT, 1" Daystar Leveling Kit, 275 70 R17 BFG A/T KO's
88' F-150 Black Short Box, 302 4x4, true dual flowmater 2in exaust, Mustang equal length headers, 31X10.50 R15 BFG A/T KO's, New Doors and Fenders installed, MAF conversion, Six Liter Tune up, Saginaw Power Steering Pump upgrade, P&P GT40 Heads, 3G Alt Upgrade, D44 SAS and 9" rear in-process.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 08:26 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
KUDOS on the genius of it, nice job Brother!

Good Luck ~
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:18 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 5.0L Automatic Bronco XLT
Looks bad ass! I think you were the last nail in the coffin, I'll be Monstalining my truck in the Spring.
mrbollero likes this.

Built not Bought
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 05:11 AM

Looks good. I used Mostaliner in my old truck's bed. This product is tough as nails, easy to apply and has UV protection.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:23 PM

Garage
Does anyone know how long the monstaliner lasts without having to redo it?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:38 PM
Govt. paid Admin.

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2 or 33x12.5 GYW Duratrac
Garage
Haven't seen to many of these full exterior paint jobs with it... but if the rig is properly prepped, I would expect MonstaLiner should last at least a good decade.
The stuff I put on my F250's patched floorboards has held up awesome to the snow and slop of a work/plow truck over the last 6 years but it's inside the cab, not on the cab.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode