installing GM rearview mirror w/ temp, compass and autodimming - Ford Bronco Forum
 9Likes
  • 6 Post By Kingfish999
  • 1 Post By Kingfish999
  • 1 Post By Kingfish999
  • 1 Post By Kingfish999

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco (5.8 DD E4OD), 88 Bronco Mudder (Engineless), 90 F250 (Explorer 5.0 4R70W)
Garage
installing GM rearview mirror w/ temp, compass and autodimming

This will show you how easy it is to install a rear view mirror with temperature and compass display that came in some GM vehicles. it is a great alternative to swapping the overhead console that came in only some late model broncos which are hard to find and expensive. If your truck already has/had an auto-dimming mirror then half the wiring is already there. This install will be in my 90 F250 but mostly everything should be the same

You can get the mirror and sensor from the junkyard or they are also available on eBay for about 40$ which is how i got mine. just make sure you get the sensor and the pigtails for the mirror and the sensor aswell. there are other similar style mirrors available that may have some differences and may not have the temp readout or may have other functions. mine is labled as a GENTEX 010103 mirror but still verify what it came with.

this is how mine came in the box. it included the mirror, sensor, and the pigtails for both. the seller was even nice enough to have the wiring labeled but i still had to look up the pinout because i wasnt sure which side was Pin 1

this is how the pinout was for mine with the tab was at the top. it really jsut needs power and ground to turn on and 2 wires for the temp sensor. the 2 wires for the side mirrors are pretty much useless unless you had mirrors that support auto-dimming. you can jsut cut those 2 wires but i went ahead and removed the entire pin from the connector. the reverse wire is optional and i think it jsut prevents auto-dimming when reversing, i went ahead and ran it but you do not have to. polarity of the sensor is not important.

here is the actual pinout diagram i found

i did this on a stormy day when i was bored and this was all the wire i managed to find for this project because i was too lazy to go buy new wire. i had a spool of 16g red wire for power which is overkill. 18g or 20g would be more appropriate. i had soem random black wire for ground. some overkill blue 16g wire for reverse. and some of that cheap speakerwire for the sensor

i went ahead and soldered the wires up to the mirror pigtail and headshrinked. after the picture i headshrinked all the wires together so it looks cleaner.

the mounting tab for the mirror should be the same as the original. my original mirror fell off a long time ago and my mirror included a tab so i just glued it on. make sure not to overtighten the set screw or it might pull the mounting tab off the glass

take the top trim off or at least lower 1 side. it should just be a few screws. then take the side trim off aswell

if your truck already had a auto dimming mirror, you have it easy. you already have power, ground, and the reverse signal wires. you jsut need to splice into them. the Black w/ Pink wire is the reverse signal. The White w/ Purple is the power wire, and the Black wire is ground.

once you ran the wiring behind the trim down to below the dash you can put the trim back. its a good idea to make a small notch in the top metal trim piece were the wire goes through to prevent it from cutting into the wires over time. also leave enough slack that the mirror can be easily adjusted without pulling at the wires

i ran the sensor wiring through a hole in the firewall and run it to where you want the sensor. i placed my sensor near the front bumper similar to where the Bronco overhead console sensor would be. i soldered the pigtail and just ziptied it to the truck because i was lazy. polarity of the sensor is not important

as you can see the wiring in my truck is kinda messy. the reverse signal is your choice if you want to run it or not. i ran the reverse signal wire through a hole in the firewall and found the Reverse wire. it is a Black wire w/ Pink stripe and it ill come from the main engine wiring harness. here are a few diagrams to help

For the power, you need to make sure you choose a source that is Hot On Run (only power when key is on) so it it not on all the time. theres are many sources but because i was lazy i ran it to the radio power (red wire, not the yellow). i also ran the ground to the radio

this is the mirror when on temp display. it was a chilly day in Florida lol, but the temp was spot on

the direction display

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:27 PM

Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco XLT
I like it!

95 5.0l MAF, E40D, XLT, manual locking hubs, 33" 12.5 15" tires, 3.55 gears.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 03:52 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco 351w/c6
Garage
nice writeup!

if i'm in the junkyard, how do i identify if the mirror has the temp. reading? could you tell based on the connector to the mirror? also, any idea where on the vehicle the temp sensor is located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish999 View Post
You can get the mirror and sensor from the junkyard or they are also available on eBay for about 40$ which is how i got mine. just make sure you get the sensor and the pigtails for the mirror and the sensor aswell. there are other similar style mirrors available that may have some differences and may not have the temp readout or may have other functions. mine is labled as a GENTEX 010103 mirror but still verify what it came with.

89 Bronco 351w/c6

My SuperMotors

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco (5.8 DD E4OD), 88 Bronco Mudder (Engineless), 90 F250 (Explorer 5.0 4R70W)
Garage
my mirror had a button for Temp and Comp. theres an almost identical mirror without the temperature and its buttons are Comp and Mirror. i think any mirror should have Temp button to that display. also that mirror only had 3 wires. which the one with temp would need at least 5.

the sensor is somewhere behind the grille in front of or around the a/c condenser and radiator. but seems to be in different locations depending on vehicle. jsut look for a sensor that looks like this.

you can also buy the sensor new but its easier having the pigtail for it
sharpshooter109 likes this.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:49 AM

Bronco Info: 93 351W, SAS w/ 60s f/r
Awesome write-up! I'll have to do this one so my wife doesn't get lost.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:30 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 F150, 5.8 w/GT40X heads, Lightning intake, E4OD, 33" tires, detroit locker rear & true trac fro
I like this. I have an auto dimming compass mirror in mine for the last 5 or more years. I have been planning to find a compass mirror (auto dimming, compass too) to swap in. Just haven't had time with everything else I have been trying to get done. Good job, looks good.

All the ones I have seen have been like this where you choose either compass or temp. Are there any that gives both at the same time? If so, are they as easy to install?? Anybody??

Anyway, good job Kingfish.

tim
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Garage
there are some. checking on ebay i see some that are $200+ which is defiantly not worth it in my opinion. but then there are a couple that are $30-50 range that do. alot of them dont have pics of them on to verify the dual display but it seems the more square displays are the dual while the more rectangular displays are single display. it seems Gentex is the main supplier for most auto manufactures.

TS 90F150 likes this.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 04:49 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 F150, 5.8 w/GT40X heads, Lightning intake, E4OD, 33" tires, detroit locker rear & true trac fro
Thanks, and NO 200.00 isn't happening. lol
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Garage
those expensive ones are new ones, not used. for bout hundred bucks more you could have one with rear view camera if you wanted to spend money like that tho. but like i said there on there. theres a list of them that SHOULD be dual display but since the pif is with them off its hard to be 100% sure.

mirror compass temperature dual display | eBay

then theres ones with pics of them showing the dual display working but will have unused buttons like OnStar like this

Grand Prix OEM OnStar Dual Display Compass & Temp Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror | eBay

then theres the one you would be perfect without unused buttons but its more costy and even the item discription says its junky

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gentex-Donne...BSN8B4&vxp=mtr

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:20 PM

Thanks brother. I will look into it. I have done so much at the end of Fall this past year I have to let the "bank" replenish. Hopefully when I get finished with the next large lot of things to do I'll be damn near finished. lol

tim
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:42 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco 400m
This is awesome!

So practical yet so simple. I'm going to have to try this out in my 79.

There was no external module for the compass correct? Only for the temp? I'm going to be pulling one from a yard so I want to make sure I don't miss something once I start hacking out the harnesses.

1979 Bronco 400m 0.060 over 'Black Betty'
-Edelbrock Carb & Manifold, Hedman Headers, Flowmaster Dual Mufflers, Comp Cams Extreme Energy Cam & Valvetrain Kit
-Duff LAs, WH progressive coils, Bilstein 7100s Lincoln HB, York OBA, Taurus Radiator Fan
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Garage
the compass is part of the mirror
vrewald likes this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode