Hood Louver Installation - Ford Bronco Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By RicksBroncoBeast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer
Garage
Thumbs up Hood Louver Installation

I was asked to put a simple thread together on the installation of my hood louvers. I live in the desert and I was wanting to make sure my under-hood temperatures stayed down to increase the life of everything that has to live under the hood. Hood louver installation is pretty simple and straightforward. I purchased my louvers from "RunCool Hood Louvers {http://hoodlouvers.com/}". RunCool Louvers are very nice looking and very rigid. They came with good instructions and the rivets for completing the installation. You need a rivet popper, hole saw, grinder and a rattle can of primer paint to complete the job.
  1. Remove hood and clean off any dirt to allow the tape to stick.
  2. Lay the louvers in the position where you want them and blue tape the hood around the outside of the louvers.
  3. Remove the louvers off the hood and then put second layer of tape with the inside edge about 5/8" to 3/4" inside the louver pattern already taped. This is to give enough louver to hood overlap to have a good solid surface area to rivet to.
  4. Using the hole saw cut 8 holes for the corners (this will keep from making a weak spot in the metal hood which will happen if you grind to a sharp pointy corner).
  5. After cutting the corners then use a grinder and cut the rest of the hood portions out following the tape line and taking care not to cut the reinforcement cross-braces. You still want a strong hood.
  6. Turn the hood over and put holes into the cross-braces to allow better air flow.
  7. Buff off all sharp edges of the freshly cut metal and primer the bare metal to keep from rusting.
  8. Turn the hood back over and starting on the corner, drill a hole for the first rivet and set that rivet. This is the last time you can correct for straightness of this side louver. Then, complete the louver install. NOTE: Do not drill all rivet holes at one time. Do a few at a time and put the rivets in so you will have good hole alignment and try to work from one end to the other.
  9. Reinstall hood, stand back and admire how cool they look.

By allowing the temps to escape from under the hood it will greatly reduce engine temperature and the damage done by temps that will reach over 200 degrees F when driving in Tucson, AZ during the summer when the outside temp is over 105 degrees F...

1996 Eddie Bauer Bronco Beast, 37" BFG BAJA TA's, HUMVEE 24 Bolt Wheels with Trail Fab Bead Locks, RCV Front TTB Axles, 5.5" SuperFlex Suspension, Lockers Front and Rear, Custom Front and Rear Bumpers... NOW powered by a 4BT Cummins...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 05:23 AM
on KIK as same

Bronco Info: See Signature
These look good and they have to work. Been looking at doing this to my 78, thanks for posting link to that store.

What size do you have there?

The Street Queen: '92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, Roller 357W 400hp/400ft-lbs, SCT Tuned, 4" Lift, 4.10's,
Go Fastish Build: '78 Custom- 4" Deaver Lift, Mild 460, Full Cage, 4.10's
Build Thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...8-project.html

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 03-06-2017 at 05:57 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:28 AM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer
Garage
I won't be doing this (Illinois lol), but how bout rain with these Louvers? They don't seem crazy compatible.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:39 AM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco
What size louvers did you get?

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode