Ultimate Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Thread - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
I did when I changed mine, they're thin and can break easily after a while so why take a change once you've solved the problem, $6.00 IIRC.

Good Luck ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1986 Ford Bronco XLT
Thx Bronco Rex. Mine was still in good shape so I re-used it.

1986 XLT, 302 EFI / bored 40,4-speed Manual Trans
They won't let me list all the stuff I have into this truck! :)
WARNING: Restoration Underway!
Rebuild Video: http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/...y/media/619611
post #43 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:53 PM

Bronco Info: '92 XLT - 5.8 351 - 49k Miles - Leather - Black - 3" Suspension Lift - 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT/R
I'm new to working on vehicles. Never done it before last month.

My Bronco is a mint '92 with 50k miles on it. When I got it last month it had some getup to it, but over the last 3 weeks I was really unsatisfied with the acceleration. I had just decided Broncos didn't accelerate. My wife's Honda Odyssey was night and day.

Yesterday my check engine light came on and it died when trying to drive out of the garage. Then it died leaving work. Then at a stop light. Then in a drivethrough. Last night I pulled codes (got them written down right the first try and even used a paperclip ) and I got 122 and 128. I read and read last night on the forums. I didn't have a meter so I tried looking for vacuum leaks in the hoses because of the MAP code. Saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Tonight I hooked up a meter to the back side of the TPS and it was reading .36 idle and 1.0 with the throttle open. Went to autozone and picked up a TPS for $35 and swapped it out in about an hour and half. Also cleaned the throttle body with some throttle body cleaner while I was in there. I put it all back together and took a test drive.

Man this thing can MOVE after all! It is like a new engine. Well with 50k original miles it IS new, but now it feels like it. I'm amazed. No more check engine light either, so I'm guessing it took care of the 128 too. Thanks for the great info guys, I love this place.

As a side note I didn't think to get a new TB gasket and the old one was broken. It is late and I cannot get another before tomorrow. I was going to pick one up tomorrow and put it on in the evening. Hopefully it won't hurt to drive 20 miles without it?

post #44 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

NICE!! As Hannibal from the A-Team always said, "I love it when a plan comes together!" Nice to hear that this write up has helped many people. It's amazing how such a little part can cause such a big headache!

If you want to clean the engine out even more and increase performance try the "Seafoam Howto" I did.

How to Sea Foam
MATCHBOX likes this.

post #45 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I Shear Bolts

Bronco Info: 1991 XLT, 5.8L, E4OD, BW 1351, Just Stock...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKossarides View Post
B12 Chemtool!
+1 for the Chemtool

"Respect The Mountain Or It Will Consume You" -NSP Far West Region
post #46 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amraam840 View Post
+1 for the Chemtool
I've used this also in my lawnmower...never done the truck with it yet though! Let us know what kind of results you get!

post #47 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 12:25 PM

Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco E.B. Sixlitre Ignition Upgrade, Tranny External Filter, Warn Premium Hubs
Garage
I Seafoam my 351 all the time, in the gas tank and oil pan 100 mi before a change. As time goes on can I post some part numbers in your thread??
post #48 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
IIRC I think the only difference was the B12 Chemtool was less expensive then Sea Foam but I haven't checked for a while, Sea Foam is $6.99 on average now.
If the TB gasket is broken it wouldn't hurt to replace it when you can, should it break part and get sucked into the TB........................................?

Good Luck ~
post #49 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 01:44 PM

Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco E.B. Sixlitre Ignition Upgrade, Tranny External Filter, Warn Premium Hubs
Garage
Good Point Thank's
Sean
post #50 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoRex View Post
I Seafoam my 351 all the time, in the gas tank and oil pan 100 mi before a change. As time goes on can I post some part numbers in your thread??
Sounds good!

post #51 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:59 PM

Garage
OK, part numbers, the TPS, Motorcraft E7TZ-9B989-D, from Rock Auto (CX-1228) $50.50. Fel-Pro TB gasket part number 60845 from Penndel Auto $2.50 (local shop). Found a Vacuum leak and my IAC may be on it's way out. Now no codes (all 11). Thank's for all the help.
Sean
post #52 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Rex:

Good follow through Brother ~
post #53 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 11:03 AM

Does anyone know the OEM part number on the cooling water hoses that are attached to the Throttle body?
post #54 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 11:10 AM

Bronco Info: '92 XLT - 5.8 351 - 49k Miles - Leather - Black - 3" Suspension Lift - 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT/R
Quote:
Originally Posted by gekitch111 View Post
Does anyone know the OEM part number on the cooling water hoses that are attached to the Throttle body?
I just got a length of heater hose from O'Riley when I replaced mine previously.
post #55 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by gekitch111 View Post
Nope

but I know they iz 3/8", which is harder to find. My brudder made off with some areoquip stuff from work a few years back and I've still got some left

Probably never rot again !

Sixlitre

My Superford site
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4970&s=17328#content
post #56 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 12:39 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco/Hedman Headers/HEI Ignition/Ford racing VC/4.5" Lift w/35's
took my tps sensor off today, only my pigtail (90 5.8) is facing away from the AIC valve. I am going to put it on the way it came off....cross some fingers and hope i dont have to pull/repeat/change.
Haynes manual is fairly vague as well, so no clue what is correct, called stealership and they had no definitive answer other than same way it came off....

Anyone got a definitive answer?
post #57 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Fullsize Member

BroncoNamedBruce:
There are 2 types of TPS both have a spring loaded ring in the center but one TPS has long screw slots to adjust for proper voltage setting using a multimeter and moving the sensor, the other TPS only has a spring loaded ring (Tanges) in the center. With this one in hand turn your hand slighlty left counter clockwise and put it on the end of the TB blade shaft, then turning right clockwise line up screw holes and tighten, this style automatically adjusts by voltage when it's hooked up.

The Haynes is very vague and it took me a while to figure out there were 2 styles, you do have to take off the TB for access so clean it and check the gasket while you're at it.

Good Luck ~
post #58 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco/Hedman Headers/HEI Ignition/Ford racing VC/4.5" Lift w/35's
Works fine- still slightly rough idle, but only in park, replaced AIC valve after I ran a multimeter on it and it was slightly off. no change in idle-back to the drawing board.
post #59 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKossarides View Post
BroncoNamedBruce:
There are 2 types of TPS both have a spring loaded ring in the center but one TPS has long screw slots to adjust for proper voltage setting using a multimeter and moving the sensor, the other TPS only has a spring loaded ring (Tanges) in the center. With this one in hand turn your hand slighlty left counter clockwise and put it on the end of the TB blade shaft, then turning right clockwise line up screw holes and tighten, this style automatically adjusts by voltage when it's hooked up.

The Haynes is very vague and it took me a while to figure out there were 2 styles, you do have to take off the TB for access so clean it and check the gasket while you're at it.

Good Luck ~
Thanks Kossa- figured that out the hard way-appreciate it- I had the auto automatic version.
post #60 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Fullsize Member

That's great, good job ~

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode