Ultimate Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Thread - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 185 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 02:57 PM

Bronco Info: 93 Full Size XLT, 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh88ford View Post
After I plowed a path through cattails, I started picking out reeds and cattails and noticed the vacuum line(green) from the TPS was cracked. I really couldt tell you when it happened, but I taped it up. But I have noticed a week or so later when I am in 3rd gear going up a steep incline on the highway, its really cutting out and can only make it go about 50. Also when i go to school everyday I go up a steep hill but doesnt really cut, but in 3rd gear(AOD AUTO) I am getting like a clicking noise as if something is trying to switch over or something. I can't pinpoint where its comming from, but I would like to think it is comming from the TPS. I am thinking the clicking noise is trying to upshift the tranny?? Becuase the Throttle Valve cable is right there too. I haven't checked the volts, but does this sound like the TPS is acting up?? I dont have an RPM gauge, but it does cut out in 3rd and 4th on highway, but not as bad when going up that hill on the highway.

-Josh
I have a 93, 5.0 and it is doing this exact same thing as Josh describes. I checked the codes and the only one I got was for an EGR issue, so I replaced the EGR valve and since it was easy to do and never been replaced, I also changed out the O2 sensor. That improved my issue and reduced the bucking and jumping, and it also solved the code problem for the EGR. However, I'm still getting the hesitation and reduced power at highway speeds, along with the clicking noise when hittig an incline in OD.

I suspected the TPS, but I just checked it and the voltages checked out perfectly as described in this post. I'm at a loss now, so if anyone has any suggestions, that would be great. I'm going to clear the codes completey and drive it a bit and see if anything else pops up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 185 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Bronco Master

Bronco Info: 87 Bronco...in progress
With the negative from the meter on a chassis ground and the positive on the green wire I'm seeing 5.02 volts at idle position, and 5.09 volts at full throttle position. The orange wire consistantly reads 5.10 volts regardless of throttle position (which I suspect is correct since it is the supply wire). With the meter ground on the black wire and the meter positive on the green wire I'm seeing .01 volts at idle position and .05 volts at full throttle position. I tried a different sensor I had lying around and got similar results. It seems that my sensors are bad, but it seems weird that two different sensors would give similar results that are that far out of wack. The truck runs decently except for a slightly rough idle around 850 rpm. I believe the sensor I'm running is original from 1987, the spare is out of a 92 or so that I got the upper manifold off of. I'm going to go buy a new sensor and see if I get any different results.

Just for fun, I tried reading the ohms across the black wire and the green wire. The readings at the 20K ohm setting show .85 idle/2.86 full throttle. Kind of weird.
post #63 of 185 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Bronco Master

I tried checking the voltage on the wires at the plug for the TPS. The orange wire shows 5.10 volts, the black wire shows 5.00 volts, and the green wire shows 0.02 volts. I tested the continuity between the black wire and the ground and got no reading. Shouldn't the black wire be the ground?

post #64 of 185 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 11:21 PM

Bronco Info: 190 Eddie full size nothing special yet just a3 inch body and 35 inch tires
man i love this forum so much info.. so now its my turn to jump in.. first does anyone have a pic of the two differnt type of TPS. (im not very good with descriptions) and second ive tested mine.. and at idle its 1.9x and if i pull the throttle full open its at like 4.xx now.. is this thing bad should i invest in a new one.. or should i clean it off and just try to re-adust it.. one of the codes i pulled was 23 .. which lead me to the TPS.. i also pulled another one i think it was 33.. something about an open EGR .. are these all related or no..
post #65 of 185 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 02:42 PM

Bronco Info: 95 bronco-351-6 inch lift-35x12.50tires-4.56 gears-more to come
I just changed out my TPS and IAC because i had high idle issues the TPS voltage was low. I replaced them both in about an hour and my bronco has never run better. I still cant figure out what the marking the old TPS is about all
i did was install the TPS set the voltage and it was good to go. You do have to turn the TPS slightly to get it aligned then screw it down.

You can pay more but you cant buy better.
post #66 of 185 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 06:41 PM

Bronco Info: 190 Eddie full size nothing special yet just a3 inch body and 35 inch tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedinhere View Post
I just changed out my TPS and IAC because i had high idle issues the TPS voltage was low. I replaced them both in about an hour and my bronco has never run better. I still cant figure out what the marking the old TPS is about all
i did was install the TPS set the voltage and it was good to go. You do have to turn the TPS slightly to get it aligned then screw it down.
how did you set the voltages.. and what was your normal reading.. and what was your max reading with idle full open.. i just switched mine out and it has a wicked high idle on it..
post #67 of 185 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippen View Post
how did you set the voltages.. and what was your normal reading.. and what was your max reading with idle full open.. i just switched mine out and it has a wicked high idle on it..
I installed the tps and left it loose pluged it in and tested the voltage across the signal wire and ground. When i got it at .95 volts i tightened it up.
The old tps was .78 volts at idle and 3.0 volts at full throttle. The new tps
is 4.98 at full throttle.

post #68 of 185 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedinhere View Post
I installed the tps and left it loose pluged it in and tested the voltage across the signal wire and ground. When i got it at .95 volts i tightened it up.
The old tps was .78 volts at idle and 3.0 volts at full throttle. The new tps
is 4.98 at full throttle.

man this shit is killin me.. mine is 1.1 and 3.98 i guess im gonna have to keep tryin.. the best i had was .95 and 4.18 but when i tightened it down it got all screwy.. i guess its gonna be a trial and error this.. does yours have the oval holes or the round holes.. mine are round i thought about taken a dremal to it and walloen it out some
post #69 of 185 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:30 PM

It could be possible you got a bad tps. My new tps had oval holes. Make sure when you are adjusting it that the throttle body isnt hitting anything and opening the throttle and giving you false readings. I kept getting high readings on my idle voltage and it was hitting the radiator and opening it up slightly but enough to get a
bad reading.

post #70 of 185 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 PM
What?

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco, Crate 400 c.i., 4 speed, some lift n some tirez n shit
great right up. i replaced my tps yesterday. things i notcied:
idles better
not as much hesitation
ohh yeah and the truck started after.
but im still throwing codes saying the tps is bad wtf
post #71 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 01:48 AM

Bronco Info: 1987 4.9 c6 stock 4" lift installing soon
Thumbs up

thanks for the great info. new to here and very glad i found this sight. swapt my tps and its a totally differant truck!!!!!!!!!!!
post #72 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1986 Ford Bronco XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur2878 View Post
thanks for the great info. new to here and very glad i found this sight. swapt my tps and its a totally differant truck!!!!!!!!!!!
NICE! Glad to hear it's working for ya! Now have fun with the Bronk!

1986 XLT, 302 EFI / bored 40,4-speed Manual Trans
They won't let me list all the stuff I have into this truck! :)
WARNING: Restoration Underway!
Rebuild Video: http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/...y/media/619611
post #73 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 Eddie Bauer 351 and C6 trans, limited slips front/rear
GREAT Thread!

I have a 1989 with a 5.8L and c6 Transmission.

The truck recently had some high idle (@ 3K RPM) problems and my Google searches led me to this FSB site. After searching through the various threads I did the following:

Thoroughly cleaned the throttle body
New throttle body gasket
New throttle position sensor
New air intake runners gasket
New rubber vacuum hoses to replace cracked plastic lines
Throughly cleaned the idle air bypass solenoid
Replaced the EGR valve position sensor based on engine codes

The gaskets made a big difference as the old gaskets had dried out, cracked and had pieces sucked into the engine!

The troubles codes for the TPS went away after it was replaced. Voltage reading looks normal. It was the type of TPS that did not have slotted mounts so it just went straight in without the possibility of adjustment.

Start and idle are much better now! There is still a little of a high idle after I blip the throttle. Basically I can start the truck without touching the gas pedal and it will warm up nicely with the initial high warm-up idle dropping to about 900 RPMs as indicated by the tach. Seems normal from what I can recall.

Next, if I just goose the gas pedal or go driving the idle moves up to about 1100 to 1200 RPM when the truck is in Park or Neutral. When in Drive it will load down to 900 RPM at idle.

When in Park or Neutral the idle may drift slowly back down from 1200 RPM to almost normal. From what I can tell the air idle bypass is the source of the higher idle as I can unplug the connector and the idle drops back down. For some reason the engine computer is telling the IAB solenoid to set the idle higher.

I did have a code (31?) for the EGR position sensor which I did replace. Maybe the EGR is sticking open a little? I think that I have cured all of the vacuum leaks.

Suggestions?
post #74 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Busy Plowing...

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2 or 33x12.5 GYW Duratrac
Garage
reset the computer system now that you've fixed everything and watch for codes again?

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #75 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
reset the computer system now that you've fixed everything and watch for codes again?
When I last reset and checked for codes there was a code (31?) for the EGR position sensor. That was why I asked if a sticky EGR valve could cause the computer to run the idle a bit higher.

Thanks for your response!
post #76 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Busy Plowing...

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2 or 33x12.5 GYW Duratrac
Garage
sorry. I would assume your on the right track. a sticky EGR valve would send an inappropriate signal to the 'puter and that in turn would result in the 'puter running the rig a bit off. just makes sense to me. I think your on the right track... but I don't know my hole from an ass in the ground.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #77 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 AM

updates

Right now when the engine is cold I can just turn the key and it will always start well without me pressing on the gas pedal. Most times it will warm up a bit and then idle down, usually below 900 RPM

If I put it in drive it will drop the idle down maybe 150 - 200 RPM.

Sometimes I have driven it and the idle will stay in the 700 - 900 range. othertimes it seems to "stick" at 1200 RPM. Not always consistent.
post #78 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:36 PM

Bronco Info: 94 Bronco Dana 44 sas 35x12.50, 456 Gears, Trac Lock Rear,Lock-Right front
TPS help please

Hey, like BroncoAZ I was working on my buddys f150 and his tps is reading 4.77 volts at closed throttle and voltage drops as we open the throttle. Completly opposite of what it should be. We tried 2 different tps's from different autp parts places with the same results. Could it be the computer thinking the throttle is open when it is closed? We don't know what else to do other than change the computer. What do you all think ?

post #79 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Bronco Master

I haven't done anything else with mine, so I can't recommend anything for the voltages being wacked out.
post #80 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Satyr of the Midwest

Location: Ida & Grand Rapids, Michigan, a.k.a The Unemployment Capital of America
Bronco Info: 1993 EB, 5.8L, BIO0 MAF, GT40Ps, Mustang cam, GT40 Intake, Custom Headers, Moates QuarterHorse
You're measuring it wrong. One line is VREF (Brown/White), another is SIG RTN (Gray/Red). Don't pay any attention to the colors on the TPS, but instead look at the actual engine wiring harness. Between those two there should be +5.00V, or within +/-0.05V of that. None of these measurements should be made relative to chassis ground; the sensors are on their own little circuit, as the PCM only looks at the voltages coming back to it relative to those two levels only (not chassis ground, battery positive, etc.).

You should be putting your DVOM's negative lead to the SIG RTN line, and the positive lead to the TP line (Gray/White).

SigEpBlue
Wheelin' across Michigan from Ida to Grand Rapids, baby!
Quote:
Nemo nisi per amicitiam cognoscitur -- No one learns except by friendship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlai Stevenson
Isn't it conceivable to you that an intelligent person could harbor two opposing ideas in his mind?

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode