ignition upgrade and timing bump (no 56K) - Page 119 - Ford Bronco Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2361 of 2372 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:28 AM

I am currently installing a new rebuilt 302 in my 95 F150. With it being new, should I tune it to the standards of this Sixlitre Tune Up, or should I put it at the original?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2362 of 2372 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 10:47 AM

Bronco Info: 1984 Bronco, 351w, ZF5/205 swapped 14b rear on 37 iroks
Does it have a cam? Ive found if your cam is anything but stock then factory timing figures are out the window. Currently i run 20 degrees base and 36 total. But if your engine is more less a stock rebuild then i would think to go with the sixlitre specs as it does provide benefits.

1984 Bronco Xlt, SAS 4.11, 351w w/ truck avenger 670 and headers
http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/elliott000/slideshow/
https://www.youtube.com/user/ehumpy
post #2363 of 2372 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott000 View Post
Does it have a cam? Ive found if your cam is anything but stock then factory timing figures are out the window. Currently i run 20 degrees base and 36 total. But if your engine is more less a stock rebuild then i would think to go with the sixlitre specs as it does provide benefits.
When I ordered the engine, I didn't order stock. I ordered the 302 HD. (Heavy Duty) I asked him what all that entailed. I can't remember all that he said, but, I do remember that he said a bigger cam. And I figured out the hard way (on my own) that it has 5.8 heads.

post #2364 of 2372 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:39 PM

Bronco Info: 1984 Bronco, 351w, ZF5/205 swapped 14b rear on 37 iroks
Id start er with the 13 degrees. Break it in, then bump it up and test for pinging, ypull have to adjust the mechanical advance curve but thats another thread lol.

1984 Bronco Xlt, SAS 4.11, 351w w/ truck avenger 670 and headers
http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/elliott000/slideshow/
https://www.youtube.com/user/ehumpy
post #2365 of 2372 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:02 AM

Bronco Info: '96 5.0 W/ 4"cut & turn lift on 35x12.5
Garage
theres a lot to follow on this thread, so forgive me if ive missed this one but ive tried ordering the MSD gear for my rig and for what ever reason it wont ship to California. can any one suggest an alternative, or explanation other than moving out of this hippy liberal state?
post #2366 of 2372 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 04:29 AM

Bronco Info: 91 Silver Anniversary
Agree, this is a great thread. There is a lot of info I will be using on my my Bronco.
post #2367 of 2372 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 04:16 AM

Bronco Info: 91 Silver Anniversary
This weekend installed autolight coppers, Ford 8mm wires, Ford coil, MSD cap and rotor. Huge improvement in idle. I had to patch the red vacuum line from the coffee canister as it broke., very brittle I searched and found a great thread on changing out the vacuum line to silicone, so that is now on the project list.
post #2368 of 2372 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 01:45 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
This thread is anchient at this point but I figured I'd update on how a part turned out. Way back in 2010 I first did this and I went with this Taylor cap and rotor.
Taylor Distributor Cap and Rotor Kits 918233 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

At the time It was fairly new and untested, well now I've tested it. Its been 5 years and at least 44k miles since then. For the last few months Ive had a intermittant rough idle when cold and lazy starting. About a month ago I first had an issue starting after sitting, It would just crank and crank but eventually once it started it was fine until it sat again. The other day it refused to start. Traced the problem back to the cap. There is some wear on the terminals but not terrible. I cleaned them and the rotor with a wire wheel and got an inconsistant spark. I cleaned the terminals on my original Motorcraft cap (yes I kept it all these years) and put it in with the taylor rotor and it now has consistant spark and runs again.
So the life expectancy is about 44k+.

Things to keep in mind, Ive driven it through plenty of rain, mud, water, and dust and to be honest really pushed it hard quite a few times, so maybe I'm expecting too much from a simple distributor cap.

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
The going get tough, the tough get debt
Don't pay attention, pay the rent
Next of kins pay for your sins
A little faith should keep us safe
post #2369 of 2372 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 08:48 PM

Bronco Info: 88 F150 4X4 5.0 AOD, Heads? Long tube headers, project
This is a great thread (I'm up to page 36) and motivated me to join this group. I bought my first Bronco brand new in 86, it was a black XLT 5.0 AOD. At some point I did a full tune up and put in some "better" plugs, it didn't run worth a damn after that. I replaced the coil, TFI, put the original wires back on but could not figure what was wrong. I finally swallowed my pride and called the local Ford dealer tech. He said "What plugs did you use?" It took some convincing to get me to believe the factory cheap-o plugs were the only way to go. I put in a new set of Motorcraft cheap-o plugs and it ran like a top. I'm working on an 88 F150 5.0 now that will get the 6liter tune as soon as I fix all the other wiring problems it has
sackman9975 likes this.
post #2370 of 2372 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:13 PM

Bronco Info: 88 F150 4X4 5.0 AOD, Heads? Long tube headers, project
Here's a link for a good read about ignition wires

Truth About Ignition Wire Conductors

This explains the complexities with modern ignition/EFI systems and why ignition wires are so critical to proper operation. The value of this sixlitre tune thread is all the R&D and experimentation done by so many Ford owners in figuring out the proper combination of parts and adjustments that add such tremendous gains in performance. Back in the days before EFI when wire was wire the only concern with high performance ignition system EMI and RFI was static on your AM radio. Throughout these 119 pages its clear to see how some deviations from what's tried and true can lead to all sorts of problems.
post #2371 of 2372 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 03:28 PM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
I just put a rebuilt dizzy in and retimed the engine. After setting it approximately 12.5, I plugged in the spout in. The timing went to about 18. Is that about what everybody sees?

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652
post #2372 of 2372 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:00 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 92 Factory Original 300 I6 M5OD Manual Custom. 3 seats, AC and a radio and all vinyl interior.
Garage
Question:

Could doing this timing bump cause a SPOUT error code to come up?

I did the tuneup and timing bump on my 4.9L and never saw any real improvement. It's still there and I haven't changed it yet but probably will. However, the last time I ran codes, I got a SPOUT error code, I can't recall what it was exactly but I remember looking it up and it being the SPOUT.

JTMcD.
We sleep Peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm............George Orwell
The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy Shit, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer

MY A/C Vacuum leak repair http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/23-technical-write-ups/175808-how-i-fixed-my-c-vac-leak.html

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode