ignition upgrade and timing bump (no 56K) - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 2372 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT 5.0, MSD coil/cap/rotor, SpiroPro wires, Ford Racing tranny cooler, PermaCool filter, 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy351
even 600 degrees is a VERY hot engine bay.....

600 *is* very hot for the engine bay as a whole, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could hit 600 down between the exhaust ports for #5 and #6 with thinwall headers, right where the #6 sparkplug port is.

I dunno, maybe I'm insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 2372 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:53 PM

Bronco Info: 89 XLT 5.0L-EFI AOD Tow Package
Your not insane sewiv, it sure can get close, especially if you have headers on yours. The whole engine bay doesnt get that hot like some are posting, its only really hot right beside the exhaust manifolds, or even hotter if you have headers. The accel extreme 9000 wires handle the 1200f at the boots, where they come close to touching your manifold or headers. The rest of the wire is 600f, the accel kit is really a good deal considering the wires run $80 for the set of wires just by themselves, but you get what you pay for in life.

jb77714, the msd makes good stuff too. I just chose the accel kit because some of the components, mainly the wires are a higher quality and headers are my next upgrade in the near future. But everyones usually has a brand they stick with.
cwrisley likes this.

89 Ford Bronco XLT w/ 5.0L 302EFI V8 SS Mega Monster AOD w/ Wide Ratio Gears, 32" Dunlop Mud Rovers and Eagle Alloy 187 15x8 Rims, K&N Ghetto Kit, Goodyear Hi-Miller Hoses, Accel Ign Coil, Accel Cap & Rotor, Accel Extreme 9000 Plug Wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs &.55, Remote Tranny Filter, Audio & Video System, Keyless Entry/Remote Start/Alarm System, and a lot of other little stuff.
post #23 of 2372 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 01:49 PM

Bronco Info: 89 XLT 5.0L-EFI AOD Tow Package
Should be ok, but I'm not really sure about the I6. My set of wires came with 10 wires total and 2 coil wires. This is all so you can match up the lengths to be close to your stock ones.

So I have 2 extra plug wires and an extra coil wire.

89 Ford Bronco XLT w/ 5.0L 302EFI V8 SS Mega Monster AOD w/ Wide Ratio Gears, 32" Dunlop Mud Rovers and Eagle Alloy 187 15x8 Rims, K&N Ghetto Kit, Goodyear Hi-Miller Hoses, Accel Ign Coil, Accel Cap & Rotor, Accel Extreme 9000 Plug Wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs &.55, Remote Tranny Filter, Audio & Video System, Keyless Entry/Remote Start/Alarm System, and a lot of other little stuff.

post #24 of 2372 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optika1 illushun
think i can get by with using the ford racing wires on my 300? i figured id order the 302/351 wires and keep the extra two as a spare...
Theres a recent thread round here where I went to the trouble of finding the Taylor SpiroPro wires part number for the 300 for a guy.

Summit has the specific custom fit sets in blue, black or red for $40.00

Sixlitre

My Superford site
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4970&s=17328#content
post #25 of 2372 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optika1 illushun
did a little calling and a local place price matches summit and i can have my stuff sooner.

YES, thanx sixlitre and sorry for teh thread hijack.
Optika1

Ain't my thread and it does seem very related IMO so you shouldn't get your tail feathers flamed.

Yes, I had that same problem getting Taylors in stock last July for my (then new to me) Lincoln Town Car. I dearly wanted to buy black Taylor SpiroPros but everyone said 3 weeks to order.

C'mon Taylor ! Ford not make enough small block engines over the past 46 years to make it worth your while ??????

I can accept a couple of days or a week, but three weeks ? That just bad business ! I didn't think of them as a "Chev-esque" company, but maybe they have turned into one.

Like you, on advice from someone here, I just went to the Ford stealership and they beat the heck out of the speed shop price and they had nice quiet, sedate looking "Lincoln" black in stock.

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #26 of 2372 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 12:54 AM
All I got for X-Mas was a

Bronco Info: '93 Custom 351W/E4OD/1356 4"Susp. 33" Tires. Now rockin the soft top.
was doin some research while on the can

anyways............ was lookin at this Jegs catalog I borrowed from my Bro-in-law and found this stuff:

Jegs 49k volt TFI coil part #555-40112 $32.99:

Jegs Cap & Rotor Kit (listed for the 5.0) part #555-40405 $24.99:

Jegs 8mm Spiral Core Wire sets part #555-40231(5.8) #555-40123(5.0)
$29.99

No pic but they say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegs Website
Our spiral core design begins with a strand of Kevlar® which is wrapped 32 times per inch with a fiberglass strand that is coated in a stainless alloy and covered with conductive latex. This composition allows the wire to operate at one tenth the resistance of a conventional carbon core conductor while meeting O.E. RFI requirements. The outer jacket is constructed of 2 layers of heat resistant silicone. Each layer is separated by a fiberglass reinforcing braid for added pull strength. The spark plug boots are also made from heat resistant silicone. Every kit includes a set of numbered wire markers, a set of wire separators and a package of dielectric grease.
I dont like Jegs website. you cant plug in your ride and see what fits. If any one was to order this I would do it over the phone and MAKE SURE IT WILL FIT. The catalog and website differ on what fits. We know the MSD stuff is the same for the cap/rotor/coil for 5.0 & 5.8. So it stands to reason that the same is true for other brands. However for the wires they say "with HEI Cap" for both engine sizes. HEI????

So the good news is that the total $$$ amount is:

$32.99
$24.99
$29.99
---------
$87.97 + handling (shipping is free just like Summit)

Sounds good, now we just need a guinnea pig

Baby Girl
My SuperCrap Site

"The Price Good Men Pay For Indifference To Public Affairs Is To Be Ruled By Evil Men"
-Plato
post #27 of 2372 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT 5.0, MSD coil/cap/rotor, SpiroPro wires, Ford Racing tranny cooler, PermaCool filter, 3G
High Energy Ignition.

I'd certainly call 49K volts High Energy.
post #28 of 2372 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Sure you're going the right way with the timing? If you retarded it 13 degrees, you'd get a loss of power and run rich.
post #29 of 2372 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Yup, that's right, 13* is to the "right" of TDC. Clockwise to advance (on the 5.0 at least, I'm not certain about the 5.8 since I don't have one).

Did you warm the engine first? Did you pull the SPOUT connector? Just as importantly, did you put the SPOUT connector back?

What did you mean by "12* off"?
post #30 of 2372 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Maybe you've got a cam in there that's been degreed? It seems that it'd run like total crap if you were running at 2*ATDC, but if you were running okay then, and not okay now, maybe there's something up with the marks? Has the dampener spun on the the crank?

15 degrees is a lot to change all at once. Maybe back it off a bit (5 degrees or so) and see what happens. Or hook up a vacuum gauge and adjust the timing that way.

Stupid question: Are you on the right cylinder with your timing light pickup? #1 is the front cylinder on the passenger side.

Last edited by sewiv; 04-03-2006 at 11:26 AM.
post #31 of 2372 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Practicing Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmata50l
Phew (saves self embarrassment)

I was 2* ATDC
Take heart in the fact you had the wisdom to measure your timing first

before you starting mucking about. Listen to Sewiv and hook up a vacuum gauge to one of the intake nipples.

Make danmed sure it's warmed up and the SPOUT valve is disconnected, then turn the dist until you reach the highest vacuum reading. Once you're there, read the timing light, then back off 2 degrees and tighten the dist clamp bolt.

Re-check the timing and test drive her. If it still don't feel "right" then back off two moore degrees until you find the sweet spot.

Like Sewiv says maybe someone slipped in a cam on you or quite possibly your balancer has crept around on the center on you due to aging rubber.

If you haven't done it already sand paint and mark your balancer to be sure and make sure you're using the timing mark and not the center of the timing scope hole to line up the timing marks against.

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #32 of 2372 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmata50l
Another tool to buy.
At least it's a cheap one.

Quote:
I know for a fact it's the stock cam....the balancer I can probably buy. Anyway to check it?
Grab it and twist it? If you can grab the outside and turn it (engine off, of course), the rubber has gone bad. Of course, if it had turned 10 degrees, you'd have a tough time driving without a bite splint, due to the vibrations. I spun a balancer on the 302 in my `75 Granada, and it was amazing how bad it got.
post #33 of 2372 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 11:09 PM

Bronco Info: 91 bronco Rain cloud of broken stuff edition
im gonna get a vaccum guage and try that tommorow...also im gonna pick up the msd coil for my 5.8...and gap the plugs to .055...sound good?

ive been trying to find a way to find a good spot for timing with the new cam

dc

stoopid question: on the timing thing...do you set the timing when the numbers are on the flat edge of the pointer or in the curve...flatedge right

Quote:
I want to convert my 4wd Superduty to 2wd. I can take apart a flashlight in under a minute. So im sure i can handle this
check out the broncos full rebuild
post #34 of 2372 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcSkater602
im gonna get a vaccum guage and try that tommorow...also im gonna pick up the msd coil for my 5.8...and gap the plugs to .055...sound good?
If you don't already have a good cap and rotor and wires, it'd be a good time to change those as well.

Quote:
stoopid question: on the timing thing...do you set the timing when the numbers are on the flat edge of the pointer or in the curve...flatedge right
Yes, flat edge.
post #35 of 2372 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 11:42 PM

Bronco Info: 84 Bronco, 302, c6, np208, 9inch, ttb d44, 33x12.50's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy351
even 600 degrees is a VERY hot engine bay.....
a stock engine with stock manifolds can very easily push 400 deg i've measured many over 500 so you could definatly exceed 600 deg around the headers especially if you are running a little lean or have been running the engine at high rpm's. i ran accel 8.8 with my headers and have never had a problem although i don't know their temp rating off hand. my headers have been glowing occasionaly after extended periods of abusive fun.

84 Bronco 302 fuel injected, C6 w/lower 1st and 2nd gears, np208, 33x12.50, 9 inch, D44, 4.10 gears, detroit true track front, air locker in rear, full MSD ignition w/revlimiter, fiberglass dash inserts for Autometer gauges, covered in bedliner.
post #36 of 2372 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 04:40 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 EB
I did a search and failed to find where anyone had done this on a 5.8L (351W) and how many degrees to advance. I'm short on theory so no basis to finger it out myself other than blind luck and searching.

Anyone have any suggestions/experience on plug gap and number of degrees to advance timing in a 5.8L for this mod????

Thanks!

:^D

Jordan H.

post #37 of 2372 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 05:07 PM

Bronco Info: 90 XLT/351W, 6" LFT SAS, 9" 35" TIRES , 4.56, LOCKED, REALLY COOL SNORKEL, OTHER COSTLY CHIT
I got an 8227, with FoMoSpt 9mm wires, and MSD dizzy cap and rotor....gapped to .55 for a week, to let the computer re learn, and then bumped timing to 13.5*.....runsz sweet......

Riding on in the mist of morning, no one dares stand in my way...possessed by some distant calling, riding on through night and day.

PETE HALEY
post #38 of 2372 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1988 FSB 351W, 3 spd. auto....mostly stock (for now)
I have already purchased the coil, cap, rotor, and wires. I am also looking into installing an MSD ignition box. If i do that, should i still gap the plugs to .055 and advance the timing to 13.5*?
My truck runs pretty smooth but i am looking for complete and efficient fuel burn to hopefully raise my MPGs (or GPMs).
post #39 of 2372 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Practicing Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmick
I have already purchased the coil, cap, rotor, and wires. I am also looking into installing an MSD ignition box. If i do that, should i still gap the plugs to .055 and advance the timing to 13.5*?
My truck runs pretty smooth but i am looking for complete and efficient fuel burn to hopefully raise my MPGs (or GPMs).
Yes

My Superford site
post #40 of 2372 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
Can I get that timing tape at any auto parts store like Autozone or Kragen?

Thanks!

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode