ignition upgrade and timing bump (no 56K) - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 2372 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 03:37 AM
Fullsize Member

i will be doing next week, last tune up i did, did the plugs wires cap rotor coil etc..saw/felt a nice difference. this time i will also do timing bump, hope for better response. by the way i like the accell cap and rotor due to the copper contacts..seem to do well for me. last tune up used ngk plugs...giving the accells a shot this time. staying with accell cap/rotor, ford 9mms for the wires and i do like the msd coil. re-doing seals and gaskets, replacing valve covers with ford racing chrome an fel pro silicone gaskets in blue...should look SWEET!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2372 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by imlikeojnow
well did the timing bump today and oh man what a difference. i should have done this a long time ago.
When you stop rodding the wheeeeeee out of it

settle down and enjoy the better mileage (if you can).

91XLT

Can I beg you to return or shelve the other plugs and install Autolite cheapies or at least Motorcraft basic plugs gapped to .055 ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm begging you to try them. Every fuel injected smallblock Ford forum will tell you they run best on these.

You'll be real happy with those FelPro PermaDryPlus gaskets fo sho' !

My advice on the timing is, as always, 13.5 degrees. I've played around with five or six 5.0 litres in completely different vehicles and they all liked 13.5 best.

Sixlitre

My Superford site
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4970&s=17328#content
post #63 of 2372 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 10:59 AM

Bronco Info: 1994 EB
timing advance Q for six

I understand 13.5 degrees advanance on 5.0's but what about 5.8's????

I've heard the same advance but not heard much as far as folks doing it and if that is best or what.......

Jordan H.

post #64 of 2372 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 11:22 AM
green ones make me horny

Bronco Info: 1994 w/ built 302, E4OD, 33in tires, custom exhaust, upgraded ign. running like a raped ape
yeah i wouldnt use expensive plugs i used motorcrafts, and they were only like 8 bucks for all 8 of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue View Post
No, I don't have this problem. Money grows on trees here in Michigan, and my Bronco gets 45 mpg. It emits sunshine and a light berry scent, and it never needs service or parts.
post #65 of 2372 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjen
I understand 13.5 degrees advanance on 5.0's but what about 5.8's????

I've heard the same advance but not heard much as far as folks doing it and if that is best or what.......
Several guys with 5.8s have found the same results as the 5.0 litres

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #66 of 2372 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Fullsize Member

sixlitre

i will try those plugs for sure!!

side note i have a 5.8...will follow as stated above. i am curiuos though...why so particular with the plugs? accells had been recomended to me and i did like the ngk's...but i will go with autolites for this tune up..following some good sounding advice, just wondering why so specific? thanks for you input...
post #67 of 2372 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Practicing Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91xlt
sixlitre

i will try those plugs for sure!!

side note i have a 5.8...will follow as stated above. i am curiuos though...why so particular with the plugs? accells had been recomended to me and i did like the ngk's...but i will go with autolites for this tune up..following some good sounding advice, just wondering why so specific? thanks for you input...
91XLT

I wouldn't have believed it myself, until I tried the advice that was imparted to me by Ford and Bronco gurus. They were dead right.

I cannot give you the specific technical reason, but I'm a converted believer having tried top quality plugs with these mods and had them run like crap, then the plainest Autolites, and watch them work like nothing else.

One Mustang forum guy told me "every engine family has a plug that will run in the those engine's sweet spots, the base level Autolites and Motorcrafts are those plugs for smallblock Fords".

Maybe someone else can offer a more technical reason, I can say I've tried a pils of far more expensive plugs and the cheapy Autolites ate THE plug for these engines.

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #68 of 2372 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
OK, Socket and bar to turn the harmonic balancer DUH! I just set my timing this weekend, got tired of no power up the hill and then knocking & rattling. I copied a picture of one of threads with the chalk on harmonica balancer where the numbers are stamped but I still couldn't see that well. There was a white stripe like mark so I set it to that and it runs and pulls SOOOOOOO much better up the hill. I think when I took the Bronco in for smog last Sept it wasn't set right. I not really sure what the timing is set on becasue the mark kinda obscures the numbers right there but it's running way better then before.

What kind of cleaner should I use first and what paint would you suggest I put on the numbers to see them better under the timing light? I know the emissions sticker says 10 degrees BTDC but I just sort of felt what it was doing by moving the Dissy a bit~

Thanks

post #69 of 2372 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Practicing Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKossarides
OK, Socket and bar to turn the harmonic balancer DUH! I just set my timing this weekend, got tired of no power up the hill and then knocking & rattling. I copied a picture of one of threads with the chalk on harmonica balancer where the numbers are stamped but I still couldn't see that well. There was a white stripe like mark so I set it to that and it runs and pulls SOOOOOOO much better up the hill. I think when I took the Bronco in for smog last Sept it wasn't set right. I not really sure what the timing is set on becasue the mark kinda obscures the numbers right there but it's running way better then before.

What kind of cleaner should I use first and what paint would you suggest I put on the numbers to see them better under the timing light? I know the emissions sticker says 10 degrees BTDC but I just sort of felt what it was doing by moving the Dissy a bit~

Thanks

You may have to turn the timing back to pass the emissions check, but we're talking 5 minutes out of your day once you're familiar with the procedure,

Yellow sure makes it easy to make out alright

I clean my balancer off a very, very stupid, dangerous way. I crawl under with sandpaper wrapped around a prybar and held on with an elastic band.

Then I hold the paper to the balancer with the engine idling. Good way to lose an eye or a lefticle, but I've been lucky to date and it cleans the balancer perfectly in seconds.

While it's still running I usually give it a shot of black (or blue) spray paint and it dries in seconds.

After that I shut it off and whip out the yellow tire marker and go to town using my kindergarten colouring skills on the marks on the balancer, from underneath.

A paint pen from a graphic arts store works great too or the old tiny paint brush and testors model paint.

DO NOT DO this method unless you're stupid like me or just WANT to get hurt.

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #70 of 2372 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 06:56 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
OK, that sounds great! I like the black with the yellow tire marker pen so I'll try that. Can I get the pen in an auto store? Yeah I can set it back for smog, it's not for another year but I just want to know what I'm reading. When you do this procedure it's a little tight down in there but I want to know it's correct. I just haven't down it in long time but the spout was fun, once I reset the timing it started to lope so I shut if off put the spout back in and cranked her up and she was humming. Years ago a had a 1966 GT 350 Shelby Mustang, white with blue stripes etc., and I sold it in 1997 for a years salary to a commercial pilot who latched on to me and wouldn't take no each week I drove it on Friday's and I kept uping the price and finally he said yes so I sold it. I got $38,000for it. That was the last time I used the timing light.

This site is so helpful for an old dog like me, with all the advice from here the Bronco is running good now but I still have a few projects left to get to even!!!!!

Thanks

post #71 of 2372 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Practicing Infidel

You get a whole lot more room

to work on it from underneath and there's plenty of room under a bronco for even my middle aged belly.

Just turn the crank bolt with a bar and socket for each section you're working on and disregard my suicidal instructions as they're pretty dangerous.

I've just done it so often, to so many vehicles I just can't be bothered waiting.

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #72 of 2372 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 05:07 PM

Bronco Info: 1986 XLT 5.0 EFI. AOD, K&N Filter
Just got the first half of my order from Summit, second part due tomorrow to do this mod/tune up.
Looks like my Father's Day gift will be time to work on the Bronc.

This thread was the push to order all the goodies.

Good write up

Seafoam>Compression check>add new stuff>week delay>timing bump

Hopefully it will add some ummpph to an already decent running 5.0 with 248K
post #73 of 2372 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 05:18 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 EB
I have yet to bump my timing. I didn't notice much of a difference until I also insulated the air intake system. Now I'm seeing noticeable mpg improvement and throttle response.

Jordan H.

post #74 of 2372 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT 5.0, MSD coil/cap/rotor, SpiroPro wires, Ford Racing tranny cooler, PermaCool filter, 3G
jorjen, what did you use to insulate the airtubes? And are you SD or MAF?
post #75 of 2372 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Practicing Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjen
I have yet to bump my timing. I didn't notice much of a difference until I also insulated the air intake system. Now I'm seeing noticeable mpg improvement and throttle response.

Insulating the air tubes and airbox truly made a difference Jorjen ?

Is yours an FIPK system of did you insulate all 24 feet of the stock intake tract ?

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #76 of 2372 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:57 PM

Bronco Info: 1986 XLT 5.0 EFI. AOD, K&N Filter
Clarification on the timing bump:

Is it better to let the computer relearn with the new gapped plugs for a few days or is it ok to bump it right away?

And why?
post #77 of 2372 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Practicing Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
Clarification on the timing bump:

Is it better to let the computer relearn with the new gapped plugs for a few days or is it ok to bump it right away?

And why?
I'm just a bumpkin when it comes to the whys and how-comes compared to many here, like Fireguy, Steve83, Gackner, etc.

I've done both and they've both worked. I was told, by possibly other spreaders of wives tales, that it's smarter to let the speed density computer learn and "get used to" small incremental changes, instead of huge "all at once" changes.

It's also kind of nice to feel the improvement of the bigger plug gaps, better coil and wires first, then get an extra boost the following week.

I'll never be accused of being scientific, but it's probably also good form, so you can prove (if only to yourself) which change made the biggest difference.

Just my unscientific opinion mind you

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #78 of 2372 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 03:01 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Eddie B 5.8 98% Stock
Quote:

Thanks

I used some assorted grit paper left over from some paint repair. Once I got all the rust and crap off, I used some brush on auto primer, and wiped it clean with denatured alcohol. Then did the same with a model enamel paint pen "for model cars and such" got a nice thick coat and wiped it clean as well. They stand out nice and clear now.
post #79 of 2372 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Fullsize Member

Socket, bar and sand paper Wow! I can read the numbers now and I set my timing at 10 degrees between 0 10 20 on the harmonic balancer, It made a difference and it is running better but I still get a tiny bit if dissy rattle on a steep hill once in shifts into 3rd gear but it's pulling and idling much better. I may consider new ignitons parts with 13.5 degrees timing and .55 plugs when the time comes to change.

On the emissions sticker under the hood it calls for 10 degrees so why would I have to change it for CA smog? Did I understand that correctly.

post #80 of 2372 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Practicing Infidel

Quote:
Socket, bar and sand paper Wow! I can read the numbers now and I set my timing at 10 degrees between 0 10 20 on the harmonic balancer, It made a difference and it is running better but I still get a tiny bit if dissy rattle on a steep hill once in shifts into 3rd gear but it's pulling and idling much better. I may consider new ignitons parts with 13.5 degrees timing and .55 plugs when the time comes to change.

On the emissions sticker under the hood it calls for 10 degrees so why would I have to change it for CA smog? Did I understand that correctly.

For some reason, as well as these thinsg run at 13.5 degrees with all the ignition upgrades, when it's emissions test time you pass if you back the base timing off to 8-10 degrees and you often times don't at 13.5.

Wish I knew why.

Sixlitre

My Superford site

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode