Trans Filter, Cooler & THERMOSTAT install - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Bronco Info: rusty
Trans Filter, Cooler & THERMOSTAT install

I want peek performance out of my transmission, so I added a "big" cooler years ago. Worked pretty good in the summer, but was too cold in the winter. So I got a bigger cooler and added a 180F Thermostat from Perma-Cool (part # 1060). I no longer use the radiators built in trans cooler.

Mounted the Thermostat on the right frame rail under the alternator

It has 2 IN & 2 OUT ports. I blocked the cooler IN port.
Hot fluid comes in the E1 port from the transmission
Cold fluid goes out the E2 port to the above trans filter
Hot fluid goes out the C1 port to the trans cooler

Got a bigger cooler now 11 X 11 X 1.5 stacked plate rated to 30,000 GVW.

Got a new filter mount that has 4 side ports, So I don't need any plumbing Tee's now.

1 IN port is for fluid from the Thermostat
1 IN Port is for fluid from the Cooler
1 OUT port send cool / clean fluid back to the transmission
1 OUT port is for the trans gauge temp sender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

post #3 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

post #4 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 02:49 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8L
what does the thermostat do?
post #5 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 02:52 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8L
Great write up!

I was wondering

1.what the thermostat does?

2.what is the point of the line from the thermostat to the filter?

thanks
post #6 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 05:29 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Eddie B 5.8 98% Stock
Thats pretty cool, What happens is the fluid is bypassed around the cooler till it reaches 180 At that point the bypass closes and routes the fluid through the cooler. Kind of how the regular cooling system works, Thermostat stays closed till the coolant reaches the right temp, then it opens and allows coolant to the radiator. Hope I explained it right

[CENTER]96 Eddie Bauer, Warn hubs, Accel coil, FRP 9mm wires, .50 gap, 12 degree advance, 200 amp 3G from FordFuelInjection.com. Disconnected stock amp "it was blown" re-ran all speaker wires.

I have lurk down to an artform...
post #7 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94BattleWagon
1.what the thermostat does?
It prevents the fluid from being cooled in the dead of winter untill the transmission needs it
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94BattleWagon
2.what is the point of the line from the thermostat to the filter?
When the fluid doesn't need to be cooled it sends fluid to the filter.
So, the fluid is always filtered at all temps
post #8 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 11:34 PM

Bronco Info: 84 F150 I6 4x4 Short Box
could you use a different filter ?
post #9 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 11:44 PM

Bronco Info: 94' 5.8L pacesetter Header/TFX Cat-back K&N MSD Tuff Country 4" Big O 33's TB-spacer 4.10 gears
Great info on the bypass valve, I didn't know there was such a thing. I just installed that same trans cool but I inst. mine with nipples pointing down.
post #10 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 12:14 AM
Some assembly required!

Bronco Info: 90 EB, 351W, E40D, D60 SAS, 10.25 rear, ARB's front & back, indellible Cheerwine stain in carpet
Nice write up, I like the idea of using the thermostat. I do have one question though. Wouldn't it be better to take the trans temp measurement off of the hot side of the cooler instead of the cold side? It just seems to me that the temp out of the transmission is what you need to be concerned about, not the temp out of the cooler.
post #11 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticD
could you use a different filter ?
Sure you could use any normal spin on oil filter, but why not use one designed for transmission fluid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboileau
I just installed that same trans cooler but I inst. mine with nipples pointing down.
My last cooler I pointed them up. I mounted it sideways for a reason.
The fluid comes in the lower port and out the upper port, so it has NO chance of trapping air pockets. You have increased the chance of air pockets with the nipples pointed down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Bronc 90
Wouldn't it be better to take the trans temp measurement off of the hot side of the cooler instead of the cold side? It just seems to me that the temp out of the transmission is what you need to be concerned about, not the temp out of the cooler.
I pick the cold side so I know how well the cooling system is working, and the fluid temp that the trans uses first.
post #12 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 10:19 AM

Bronco Info: 91 302/E4OD/3.55, F-150 cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy50
...I pick the cold side so I know how well the cooling system is working, and the fluid temp that the trans uses first.
I may be wrong, but my understanding of the coolant circuit on most Ford automatic trannies is that it's the bypass from the mainline pressure regulator. Fluid gets drawn through the pickup filter (or screen on C6) and goes through the front pump, then to the pressure regulator. Fluid used to operate the transmission (that actually goes to the valve body, servos and clutches) is on the controlled side of the pressure regulator, and excess fluid released by the bypass side of the pressure regulator goes out to the cooler and returns to lube the back end of the transmission (except on the AOD where it comes in up front) and run back down into the pan. This is why the tranny cooler lines are usually only about 20-30psi tops, if I'm not mistaken. Mainline pressure is usually in the 80-200psi range depending on conditions.

In that case, it would be more useful to put the temperature sender in the outbound cooler line, since this would measure the temperature of the fluid going into the clutches, which are most temperature sensative.
post #13 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 04:11 PM

Bronco Info: '92 351W/E4OD/BW1356/8.8/6" Lift/36" Tires/Former CHP
How did you know that the fluid was too cold during the winter? I am worried about this since I will be taking my '92 to the mountains this winter.
post #14 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Excessively Engineered

Bronco Info: 1993 5.8 e40d
I have a question since everyone else does. Was there reasoning behind filtering the fluid after the thermovalve and after the cooler? Just checking. I would want to filter it before those two to try to keep some of the gunk out.

97 tj crawler
93 bronco 5.8 auto
post #15 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I may be wrong, but my understanding of the coolant circuit on most Ford automatic trannies is that it's the bypass from the mainline pressure regulator. Fluid gets drawn through the pickup filter (or screen on C6) and goes through the front pump, then to the pressure regulator. Fluid used to operate the transmission (that actually goes to the valve body, servos and clutches) is on the controlled side of the pressure regulator, and excess fluid released by the bypass side of the pressure regulator goes out to the cooler and returns to lube the back end of the transmission (except on the AOD where it comes in up front) and run back down into the pan. This is why the tranny cooler lines are usually only about 20-30psi tops, if I'm not mistaken. Mainline pressure is usually in the 80-200psi range depending on conditions.

In that case, it would be more useful to put the temperature sender in the outbound cooler line, since this would measure the temperature of the fluid going into the clutches, which are most temperature sensative.
I'm not sure about all that, but I do know I had an extra port from the filter to the trans. So I used it for the temp sender.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBeaR6
How did you know that the fluid was too cold during the winter? I am worried about this since I will be taking my '92 to the mountains this winter.
My temp guage rarely went over 100F last winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightnin
I have a question since everyone else does. Was there reasoning behind filtering the fluid after the thermovalve and after the cooler? Just checking. I would want to filter it before those two to try to keep some of the gunk out.
The filter is for the trans not the cooler, plus it will shed a little more heat before the fluid returns to the trans. A transmission has tight clearance bearings and clutch packs. The cooler and thermostat shouldn't be effect by "gunk"
post #16 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Master of the Estate

Bronco Info: '71, 4" lift, Rebuilt 302, Edlebrock carb/intake, MSD ignition & dizzy
What transmission is in your Bronco, and would the 180F themostat be the one for an E4OD?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit what a ride!"

My father always told me that all businessmen were sons of bitches, but I never believed it till now.
John F. Kennedy
post #17 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

doesn't matter, fits all auto's
post #18 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 02:58 PM

Bronco Info: 91 302/E4OD/3.55, F-150 cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy50
...The filter is for the trans not the cooler, plus it will shed a little more heat before the fluid returns to the trans. A transmission has tight clearance bearings and clutch packs. The cooler and thermostat shouldn't be effect by "gunk"
And on top of that, if you use a pair of used tranny coolers like I'm doing (I'm cheap), the cooler is the biggest potential source of "gunk." The only thing that should make it past your pickup filter in the tranny (unless you have a C6, in which case your filter is wire screen nearly identical to what you have in your screen door ) is the fine dust from your clutches, and not much of that since it's fairly heavy and tends to settle in the pan. The spin-on filter is really just cheap insurance. The E4OD is expensive to rebuild even if you have a friend doing it on the cheap.

My parts just showed up from Summit yesterday. I'm using the same thermostat and spin-on adapter (thanks for the part numbers, Ryan!), just using much cheaper and more widely available tranny coolers and a rearranged plumbing setup to put my temp sender on the hot side of the coolers before the thermostat.
post #19 of 184 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 04:08 PM

Bronco Info: 89 XLT 5.0L-EFI AOD Tow Package

Umm, that looks like it might leak, you may want a couple of clamps on those hosed.HeHe

Really though, nice writeup there ryan. It will help my put my remote filter on, I plan on keeping my stock AOD cooler on mine though.

89 Ford Bronco XLT w/ 5.0L 302EFI V8 SS Mega Monster AOD w/ Wide Ratio Gears, 32" Dunlop Mud Rovers and Eagle Alloy 187 15x8 Rims, K&N Ghetto Kit, Goodyear Hi-Miller Hoses, Accel Ign Coil, Accel Cap & Rotor, Accel Extreme 9000 Plug Wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs &.55, Remote Tranny Filter, Audio & Video System, Keyless Entry/Remote Start/Alarm System, and a lot of other little stuff.
post #20 of 184 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

I was still mocking it all up when I took the pictures. Last thing I want to do is cut tubing to length before the transmission is bolted down.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode