DIY: E4OD Torque Converter Manual Lockup - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Geaux Tigers!!

Bronco Info: Used to have a '96 FSB. Now have an '01 Jeep.
DIY: E4OD Torque Converter Manual Lockup

This has come up from time to time and since my info. on it is buried in my gauge install thread I thought it might be best to post the info here in its own thread.

So the idea behind this is to install a switch that can manually override the unlocking of the torque converter. As y'all likely know, with the E4OD, if you just lift your foot off the throttle the converter unlocks. When you touch the throttle again the revs pick up while the converter locks up and the revs come back down. Don't believe me? Try it.

Of course, this is a nuisance and generates torque converter heat. I don't know about y'all, but I want to keep my E4OD alive for as long as possible! So a buddy of mine told me a trick. Bill at http://www.dfuser.com/ told me that if I tap a wire leading to the tranny and ground it through a switch that I can manually lock the converter. Intrigued, I decided to research it more and went for it.

It's painfully simple for something that might otherwise seem rather daunting.

1. Locate a large wire bundle under the truck next to the transmission. Look for a purple/yellow wire. On my '96 there was only one and I only found it after cleaning off the wires. They were dirty.

2. Tap into that wire and run the wire up to your dash area or wherever you want to install a switch to control the converter. I mounted mine on the dash like such....

3. Mount the wire to the switch and ground the other tab on the switch so that when you flip the switch it will ground that wire. The grounding of the purple/yellow wire is what locks the converter.

That's it!

Now my buddy, Bill, sells a really cool switch. It's a three position toggle switch. When I flip the toggle down, it locks the converter. So even lifting off the gas or hitting the brake, the converter stays locked. It's great on the highway when you're in traffic, but never going very slowly.

When I flip the toggle up, it also locks the converter, but you have to hold the toggle up or it will return to center/off. It's called a momentary switch. Anyway, Bill sells them and they're cheap! Comes in handy if you're going to go up a big hill or something and want the converter locked for just a brief period of time.

The only thing to watch for is if you forget to unlock the converter and you go slow enough, you may trip your check engine light. I did it once when I forgot and slowed down to 10-15 mph!! WAY too slow. Keep in mind normally my converter won't lock until 27-28 mph. I got Advance Auto to clear it for me and all's well. Sometimes the CEL will just go off after a day or two, but it doesn't harm anything as far as I know. I only had it reset once. The two other times I did it, the light eventually just went off. I've also had the O/D light flash on the stalk a couple times, but it's not too common.

Bill's been doing this trick for his customers for years. It's super handy, informative, and will help me preserve my tranny.

I got a little fancy with my gauge install. I wired a green LED next to my tranny temp gauge. The toggle switch will also provide a ground for the LED and so it illuminates whenever the converter is locked....so I don't forget too often to unlock it as I slow down.

Tommy

And here's the gauge install thread for those interested.

Bigger is not necessarily better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Geaux Tigers!!

Oh, I should also point out that this worked on my '96. I have no idea if this works for other model years or other trannies. And standard disclaimers apply. Do all this at your own risk and if your stuff blows up, don't blame me!!

post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 07:38 AM
green ones make me horny

Bronco Info: 1994 w/ built 302, E4OD, 33in tires, custom exhaust, upgraded ign. running like a raped ape
i thought that is what the overdrive odd button on the end of the shifter was for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue View Post
No, I don't have this problem. Money grows on trees here in Michigan, and my Bronco gets 45 mpg. It emits sunshine and a light berry scent, and it never needs service or parts.
post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Geaux Tigers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlikeojnow View Post
i thought that is what the overdrive odd button on the end of the shifter was for.
Nope. That button merely locks out overdrive or lets the tranny use it. It has nothing to with the torque converter.

Tommy

post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Geaux Tigers!!

Ian, that's what I meant. Maybe my wording wasn't clear. :) No idea how to keep the converter from locking, though.

Oh, BTW Ian, let me know if you're still interested in that manifold I made. I can bring it to the MnG next weekend.

Tommy

post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: 1996 EB Bronco, 5.8, E40D, Dana 44 SAS, 4.88 gears. 35" SuperSwampers
Nice write up Tommy, guess I don't understand the function of the lockup torque converter enough to appreciate this mod. I assume when its locked up it becomes solid with no slippage so it would be more like a clutch setup. (Solid with no slippage between the engine and trans) If that’s the case than I can understand the heat reduction and would think there would be some gas mileage improvement over a regular non-locking torque converter.

Ok guess I do see how this mod would be beneficial after all.
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 10:59 PM

Bronco Info: actually its a 94 F250 (began as 2wd) 4x4 SAS, 351, e4od, bw4407, superduty D60+10.5"
what if instead of taping into it you cut the wire, ran speaker wire up to a 3 position switch, having one position be locked, the other being unlocked, and the other have the computer controll it?

locked would be having the wire grounded, unlocked would just break the path in the wire, and computer controlling would just be to connect the switch back to its factory path. Not sure if this would throw a CEL tho
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 11:02 PM

Bronco Info: 1992 Ford Bronco XLT
Great write up Tommy, someone probably already asked, but where did you get your guage pod from. (The panel holding the guages) Im on the boat with Bossind, dont really no the benefits of the MOD, so I wouldnt no what it could do. Thanks man

When in doubt...FLOOR IT!! // 92' Bronco XLT 5.0 *GT-40 Heads, ALL Roller, ALL new, summit headers!* 6" RC lift 36" TSL Radials // -Joey
Click my supermotors
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/592685/fullsize/dscf0029.jpg
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 11:52 PM

Bronco Info: 91 bronco Rain cloud of broken stuff edition
autometer sells them...ill eb doing this soon... btw im still trying to figure out if the 92-96 a pillars are the same...autometer only makes the 3 pod for the 92-96...i have a 91:doh

dc

Quote:
I want to convert my 4wd Superduty to 2wd. I can take apart a flashlight in under a minute. So im sure i can handle this
check out the broncos full rebuild
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 07:20 AM

Bronco Info: smells like gear oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossind View Post
Nice write up Tommy, guess I don't understand the function of the lockup torque converter enough to appreciate this mod. I assume when its locked up it becomes solid with no slippage so it would be more like a clutch setup. (Solid with no slippage between the engine and trans) If thatís the case than I can understand the heat reduction and would think there would be some gas mileage improvement over a regular non-locking torque converter.

Ok guess I do see how this mod would be beneficial after all.
Correct, when you hit the set point on your EEC, it's locked. On my truck it happens right at about 34mph. It'd be nice to lock it at about 25mph when I'm cruising through my city I'm a firefighter in, since the speed limit is only 25.

92 EB - 302/E4OD (205,000mi) - Eric
+ lots of cool crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmid61
I am sorry to have bothered you on your forum, you should post on the home page though, dont ask any questions cause if you dont know you are stupid...
post #11 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Geaux Tigers!!

Only have a minute (heading to work), but Bill at DFUser.com sells the pods (painted to match, no less!), the gauges, and the nifty 3 position switch that I couldn't find locally. I got all my stuff through him. If you call, be sure to throw my name around. You might get a better deal.

Oh, and Steve, you pretty much nailed the benefits of the manual locking of the converter. Essentially it's for tranny longevity....which is something everyone here's concerned about!

Tommy

post #12 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Official FSB beer drinker

Bronco Info: 1968 Bronco, Dana 60 front, sterling 10.25 rear, 351W EFI, ZF5, NP205, 40's
I was curious if anyone knows if this will work on earlier E4OD transmissions.

Full size broncos are for driving. Early broncos are for building. Remember that when you go to sell you FSB for Early bronco!!
post #13 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 03:57 AM
Satyr of the Midwest

Location: Ida & Grand Rapids, Michigan, a.k.a The Unemployment Capital of America
Bronco Info: 1993 EB, 5.8L, BIO0 MAF, GT40Ps, Mustang cam, GT40 Intake, Custom Headers, Moates QuarterHorse
It'll work on ANY E4OD transmission. All of them use a TCC line to lock the converter clutch.

[HIJACK]
I'll be using a scheme to only lock the converter under the following conditions:
1. 4th gear (OD) is engaged, so obviously highway speed > 40mph
2. A slight delay after OD is engaged
3. TCC lockup in 3rd if a certain time period has passed (or maybe temperature exceeded)
4. Manual engagement/disengagement is always possible

This will all be done with switches, sensors, relays, a 555 timer, and/or a microcontroller if I'm feeling nerdy.
[/HIJACK]

SigEpBlue
Wheelin' across Michigan from Ida to Grand Rapids, baby!
Quote:
Nemo nisi per amicitiam cognoscitur -- No one learns except by friendship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlai Stevenson
Isn't it conceivable to you that an intelligent person could harbor two opposing ideas in his mind?
post #14 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 01:34 AM

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 302 E4OD 5.13 ELocker/PowerTrax 6" 37"
Would manual TC lockup switch make it posible to push start? If so that would be ultra cool and to me a great reason for this mod.

A 4x4 off-roading club for people who want family fun and camaraderie. A club that is open to all, even full size trucks, and especially "too big" broncos.

2 Big Broncos Northwest Owl Stu's '96 Bronco
post #15 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Geaux Tigers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlStu View Post
Would manual TC lockup switch make it posible to push start? If so that would be ultra cool and to me a great reason for this mod.

In theory, yes. Not sure it'd work in practice, though.

post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Official FSB beer drinker

Bronco Info: 1968 Bronco, Dana 60 front, sterling 10.25 rear, 351W EFI, ZF5, NP205, 40's
wow, that would be cool to push start a bronco. It would have to be in Neutral when parked to make it easier to push but I also think that part of the lock-up mechanism works off of adding line pressure in which case youd have to have your tranny spinning in order to have pressure.

Full size broncos are for driving. Early broncos are for building. Remember that when you go to sell you FSB for Early bronco!!
post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 04:00 AM
Satyr of the Midwest

Location: Ida & Grand Rapids, Michigan, a.k.a The Unemployment Capital of America
Bronco Info: 1993 EB, 5.8L, BIO0 MAF, GT40Ps, Mustang cam, GT40 Intake, Custom Headers, Moates QuarterHorse
It wouldn't work. You still need hydraulic pressure from the front pump to enable engagement of the transmission's clutch packs. Otherwise it's free-wheeling internally. Good thought, though.

SigEpBlue
Wheelin' across Michigan from Ida to Grand Rapids, baby!
Quote:
Nemo nisi per amicitiam cognoscitur -- No one learns except by friendship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlai Stevenson
Isn't it conceivable to you that an intelligent person could harbor two opposing ideas in his mind?
post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 04:27 PM
I Shear Bolts

Bronco Info: 1991 XLT, 5.8L, E4OD, BW 1351, Just Stock...
This sounds good but I can't figure out how it helps us. You mentioned it makes the tranny run cooler and I had to wiki that to figure that out but even they couldn't explain to me how locking the converter helps. I mean to ask..

1. Under what conditions would I want to lock and then when would I unlock the converter?
2. Will this allow me to use the engine as a brake to slow down like when driving a manual?
3. Does it improve or reduce fuel economy (not really concerned there)?

"Respect The Mountain Or It Will Consume You" -NSP Far West Region
post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 11:08 PM

Bronco Info: smells like gear oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by amraam840 View Post
This sounds good but I can't figure out how it helps us. You mentioned it makes the tranny run cooler and I had to wiki that to figure that out but even they couldn't explain to me how locking the converter helps. I mean to ask..

1. Under what conditions would I want to lock and then when would I unlock the converter?
2. Will this allow me to use the engine as a brake to slow down like when driving a manual?
3. Does it improve or reduce fuel economy (not really concerned there)?
At speeds lower then ~35mph, the TC is unlocked. When it's unlocked, the transfer of power is through the fluid. When it's locked, it's not. When you're compressing the fluid to push it through the fins in the TC, it's generating a lot of heat.

So basically, if you're cruising around town at about 30mph, and the TC never locks, it's going to make some heat, or if you're in something soft like sand, it's gonna make even more.

The conditions in which you'd want to lock and unlock tend to vary depending on the situation and terrain. But as long as you understand what the TC does, and when it makes heat, you should be able to figure it out.

Yeah, it can help you. I do downshift with my trans, and as far as I've seen in third, and second, it does stay locked, but when I go to first, it's unlocked.

I guess it can improve economy like if you're driving around town slow for a long period of time, but I don't really know, it's hard to say.

92 EB - 302/E4OD (205,000mi) - Eric
+ lots of cool crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmid61
I am sorry to have bothered you on your forum, you should post on the home page though, dont ask any questions cause if you dont know you are stupid...
post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 12:34 PM
I Shear Bolts

Bronco Info: 1991 XLT, 5.8L, E4OD, BW 1351, Just Stock...
okay. so to tell when it's getting hot, I could watch my trans temp gauge? or is the fluid in the torque converter totally seperate?

"Respect The Mountain Or It Will Consume You" -NSP Far West Region

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode