Ontario Bronco owners sound off. - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Ned

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco Custom, 351M with headers and full dual exhaust, MSD "Street Fire" ignition upgrade.
Talking Ontario Bronco owners sound off.

What Model and year Bronco do you have and what are the Mods you have done or plan to complete.

Rick.

3G 135 amp alternator install
Griffin All Aluminum Rad installed
Custom nerf bars installed
Next MSD TB Fuel Injection install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Ned

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco Custom, 351M with headers and full dual exhaust, MSD "Street Fire" ignition upgrade.
Talking So I'm the only Ontario Bronco Owner? LOL.

Are all the Bronco owners shy?

Rick.

post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 07:10 AM

Bronco Info: 96, 351W, E4OD True Dual Exhaust, 6" D44 SAS, 38.5" tires. Sold =(
No, just everyone in Ontario is sleeping because its 7AM!

I should be too... stupid work

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 11:33 PM

Bronco Info: 1984 XLT
Mine is an 84 XLT from Arizona. My plans this summer are to drive it! New paint next year. Just for anyone in Ontario I have a factory roll bar for a 78 to 79 bronco for sale if anyone is interested.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 12:51 AM
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Mine's an 86' Eddie

originally from Vancouver Island.

It lived with it's original owner there and Alberta until 96', when my buddy's Dad (the original owner's Brother) bought it off the Albertan and brought it to Mike Harris's Ontario.

He drove it back and forth to Massachusetts, commuting with it every week or three for two years between there and outside of Ottawa.

I bought it off him in 98' and shipped it into the Arctic, onto Baffin Island, where it lived with me until we were both medivac'd out a couple of years later.

When I got healed enough I shipped it down and rebuilt it end to end, replacing the body parts almost entirely.

It got new; hood, door shells, fenders, rear quarters, tailgate shell and under grill piece. Only thing used was the under windshield cowl, which came from a radio delete F-150.

I did all the attaching of parts except I paid an old guy to lead fill the A & B pillars.

I plan to re-re-paint it this year.

About the only things original on it mechanically are the 435,000 km AOD transmission, transfer case and front TTB axle. Nearly everything else is new, rebuilt, used or modified to work.

I love it !

Sixlitre

p.s./
It's getting new head gaskets shortly

My Superford site
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4970&s=17328#content
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Ned

Talking Very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blair77 View Post
Mine is an 84 XLT from Arizona. My plans this summer are to drive it! New paint next year. Just for anyone in Ontario I have a factory roll bar for a 78 to 79 bronco for sale if anyone is interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixlitre View Post
Mine's an 86' Eddie

It lived with it's original owner there and Alberta until 96', when my buddy's Dad (the original owner's Brother) bought it off the Albertan and brought it to Mike Harris's Ontario.

He drove it back and forth to Massachusetts, commuting with it every week or three for two years between there and outside of Ottawa.

I bought it off him in 98' and shipped it into the Arctic, onto Baffin Island, where it lived with me until we were both medivac'd out a couple of years later.

When I got healed enough I shipped it down and rebuilt it end to end, replacing the body parts almost entirely.

It got new; hood, door shells, fenders, rear quarters, tailgate shell and under grill piece. Only thing used was the under windshield cowl, which came from a radio delete F-150.

I did all the attaching of parts except I paid an old guy to lead fill the A & B pillars.

About the only things original on it mechanically are the 435,000 km AOD transmission, transfer case and front TTB axle. Nearly everything else is new, rebuilt, used or modified to work.

I love it !

Sixlitre

p.s./

I know I'm a little single minded and pushy but I'm expecting you will both be bringing those nice broncos to Arthur for the Canadian Ford Truck nationals, yes?

Cheers,Rick.

P.S: let's hear from some other Ontario owners if there are enough maybe one day we can have a Bronco get together too.

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: 1996 EB Bronco, 5.8, E40D, Dana 44 SAS, 4.88 gears. 35" SuperSwampers
Quote:
Mine's an 86' Eddie

I love it !

Sixlitre

p.s./
This is a story for Bronco Driver!
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossind View Post
This is a story for Bronco Driver!
Been there done that Steve

(thanks to everyone here who voted me and Eddie in that month)

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/2bi...y/media/613678

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/2bi...y/media/613679

Ned

no offense taken. Keep pushing and we'll see if Eddie and I can attend.

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Ned

Talking That would be excellent.

I am hoping we hit the trifecta of Ford Truck Nirvana, (Great weather, Great turnout of Ford trucks(with many Broncos sprinkled in the mix) and Great time had by all.

This is the only year I'll be pushing this hard for participation I just think it would be an excellent way to show our appreciation to all the Ford truck Club members and tireless volunteers by having a huge turnout, so tell your friends and your friends friends that own a Ford truck.

Rick.

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:17 AM

Bronco Info: 1988
I am picking up an '88 tomorrow. Not planning anything too major this year. It has 28,000 miles on it, was originally from Utah. Thinking of doing something funky with the paint. Probably clean up some of the PO work first. Maybe dual alternators and 1000watt system to get started.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Practicing Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRAAAYYY2 View Post
I am picking up an '88 tomorrow. Not planning anything too major this year. It has 28,000 miles on it, was originally from Utah. Thinking of doing something funky with the paint. Probably clean up some of the PO work first. Maybe dual alternators and 1000watt system to get started.
Good on ya RRRAAAYYY2

No need fer fancy dew type dual alternators Ray

I run 2600 watts of amps on a single battery and a 3rd generation 130 amp Ford Taurus(3.8 litre) alternator.

Pretty easy swap and major benefits for junkyard price$.

Feast here;

http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=74

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Ned

I agree the 3G is the way to go.

Quote:
Good on ya RRRAAAYYY2

I run 2600 watts of amps on a single battery and a 3rd generation 130 amp Ford Taurus(3.8 litre) alternator.

Feast here;

Sixlitre
It was the best bang for the buck upgrade I've done and the nice thing is it doesn't even look out of place, unless you're familiar with the Bronco you'd never know it didn't have the original alternator in it.

Rick.

post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Good on ya RRRAAAYYY2

Feast here;

Sixlitre
A 130amp 3G doesnt put out 2000watts of power, so you have your amps turned down too much :) . Besides I want to be able to blast my stereo, while I am winching, and while I lighting the trail for others. Truth is doing the dual alternators will be written off as prototype development, and cost me nothing. I will likely do a 180amp and 250amps unit.

If I dont do the duals then I need to fix my AC, which is just going to cost me money.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Practicing Infidel

Quote:
A 130amp 3G doesnt put out 2000watts of power, so you have your amps turned down too much :) . Besides I want to be able to blast my stereo, while I am winching, and while I lighting the trail for others. Truth is doing the dual alternators will be written off as prototype development, and cost me nothing. I will likely do a 180amp and 250amps unit.

If I dont do the duals then I need to fix my AC, which is just going to cost me money.
No doubt the amp manufacturers are optimistic

however they make all nine component speakers VERY loud and shake the Bronco to the core. No one I know has ever heard anything louder or clearer.

Fireguy has conversion kits (cheap) to seriously upgrade the output of a 3G alternator to over 200 amps.

Just trying to show you the easy, cheap, well traveled way. There is a thread over in tech discussing the 3Gs at length;

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/23-technical-write-ups/26658-3g-alternator-facts-its-wins-agian.html

I'd hate to see you bolting GM stuff on

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 02:00 PM

I cant say much as I am not a vendor on here. I wasnt planning on becoming one because Ryan has been here all along. But I do know a little bit about 3G's myself and will likely build my own. :)
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Practicing Infidel

Quote:
I cant say much as I am not a vendor on here. I wasnt planning on becoming one because Ryan has been here all along. But I do know a little bit about 3G's myself and will likely build my own. :)
Okay Ray

just wanted to make sure you weren't going to the dark side (AC Delco).

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 05:48 PM

LOL, Lucas is the prince of darkness. Ford went to Leece Neville several times too. My 2G will definitely be getting replaced by a 3G. The AC unit, I dont know, it will depend if any modifications have to be made. But if I can drop a different alternator in without and mods, I will probably go that route. It will also depend on how I turn the second one on. If I go one wire I cant use avalanche diodes in the rectifier on a 3G, so I will have to use something else. Might just use 6G's to confuse people. :)
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Practicing Infidel

Hey, pioneer away on that 6G !

Daum ! Lucas takes me back to my Austin days (and returning on foot....in the dark).

I replaced everything on my Austin that said LUCAS on it. Even had the starter rewound with North American stuff.

Admittedly I used a low end GM alternator too (with a custom made pulley that was larger than the alt).

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:05 AM

The reason British people like warm beer, Lucas made refridgerators too!!!!!!!!!
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Practicing Infidel

Quote:
The reason British people like warm beer, Lucas made refridgerators too!!!!!!!!!
I used to blame the alternator failures on overwinding them

The Minis would turn 8500 rpms in 1st so I thought we were over winding them and that's why we were blowing them up so often, not so.

As soon as I put the $35.00 rebuilt GM alternator on I never blew another alternator again.

As soon as I put the: Aldon distributor, Saab fuse block, Bosch coil, Lumenition optically triggered electronic ignition system, delivery truck electric fuel pump, Jeep/Ford solenoid, etc, etc, etc in........................

I never had a days trouble from my Mini's electrics again and I drove them a further 10 years after that.

Yes, me thinks you are correct suspecting anything with Lucas on it !

Sixlitre

My Superford site

Ford Bronco Forum > Wheeling > Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode