Canadian Gas Prices getting right close to American - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Canadian Gas Prices getting right close to American

I'ze just down in up state New York

cross border shopping for some mo' Cheeseler parts, when I noticed there ain't much advantage to buyin' gas down there any mo'.

Gas was 3.52 American, for an American sized gallon (3.78 litres in one of them BTW).

I done did the conversion like this;

$3.52 "deevided" by 3.78 = 93.1 cents American for a litre of gas. Then I done multiplied 93.1 cent (American) by 1.13 (the EXchange rate the Canadian bank done charged me) and I gots;

93.1 X 1.13 = $1.05 Canajian per litre.

After I crossed back over the border into Justin Trudeau's future victim (Canada, Lord help us all), I noticed gas being sold in Brockville Ontario for................$1.08 Canajian per litre.

As a frequent cross border shoppin' Canajian I depends on cheaper gas prices (in the states) to fund my trip.

I figured out that, normally, by simply even topping up the tank I pay for the bridge toll(over AND back), muh lunch and my gas down and back.

Now with the weakened Canajian dollar AND the cheaper Canajian gas, it's gonna start to sting a little when I'm cross border shoppin' !

I'm still gonna do it, because it's still at least 4 times cheaper for parts and sometimes even up to ten times cheaper for the same part.

Thought you should oughta know

Sixlitre

My Superford site
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4970&s=17328#content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 12:59 AM
Driving Stuff Henry Built

Bronco Info: -90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35" bfg m/t. --73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
It's the new pumps. They reset to a higher amount when the see out of area plates & stick it to the driver. Designed by the nice folks who made parking meters that reset to 0 when a car pulls away from the curb.

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links........................Common Replies to FAQs

“Don't find fault, find a remedy.” -Henry Ford
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 01:14 AM

Bronco Info: driving a 78 rusty piece o crap owned 23 yrs, and working on another 78 bronco,mint,460
Garage
i noticed when I filled my mini up the other day in detoilet Michigan

I used premium and got 6;3 gallons for $22

the ame fill up in Canada was around $10 more
still cheaper for the premium
just not a cheap as before

I too am across the border lots

the food me easts is a lot cheaper there too
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Govt. paid Admin.

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2 or 33x12.5 GYW Duratrac
Garage
So THAT'S why your posting so little recently? Too much in gas?

Hope all is treating you well up there buddy. Sorry 'bout the gas but I garuntee you, we aren't very happy about it either.

Actually... I thought we were doing pretty good over here on the West side.

post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 12:20 PM

Bronco Info: See Signature*
Gas prices have dropped here in AZ, I paid $2.92 at the grocery store on Saturday at regular price. That same grocery store has promotions to get it as low as $1.00 off, per gallon, at times also.

Ford Parts Counterman

*1988 XLT, 302 5.0 out of a 94 BKO, running speed density set-up from the 1988, C6 Auto, Manual T-case, Manual Ford hubs, open front and rear diffs, 4" Rancho Lift kit, 33" BFG A/T's on Factory Steel Rims.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 09:38 PM

here in Ohio we are paying $2.95 right now and last week we were as low as $2.75 according to reports I'm hearing we will have lower gas prices for the next few weeks... probably just long enough to get through the election season...
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 02:26 AM

Bronco Info: 1992 Bronc EB 5.8
It hasn't gotten any better either, Canadian companies trying to compete in the American market do benefit, so that will hopefully bring some dollars back to Canada. I know the company I work for is selling a ton into Texas (don't tell them it is made in Canada) We give them a discount currently but with how the dollar is it translates into more Canadian dollars then before. But man does it suck trying to buy parts out of the states now. Pretty much had to stop working on my truck
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 11:40 PM

Bronco Info: 1993 Eddie Bauer
But booze is cheaper here in NH and that's what really matters... I probably couldn't afford to drive my Bronco if I still lived in Nova Scotia, what with the gas price regulation and all...
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappedAxe View Post
But man does it suck trying to buy parts out of the states now. Pretty much had to stop working on my truck
Really SnappedAxe ?

Even with the reduced Canajian dollar I still have no problem making it worth my while to cross the border for American parts.

As an example a FelPro gasket set up here is $196.00. EXACT same part number over the border was $48.00.

Canadian price gouging, highway robbery if you ask me. If you bring the stuff in from RockAuto (to an American address)I've often paid as low as 1/10th of what the part was up here.

Even now, I could drive down in a Kenworth and still save money.

I applaud the Conservatives for putting together an investigative committee to find out why prices remain so different, even 20 odd years after free trade.

Frankly I don't hold much hope out for the committee to get to the bottom of it. I've long suspected the mafia, in a watered down, semi-legal form, or at the very least, collusion and price fixing in the parts industry.

Happily for us, I was watching a TV show the other night that said some ridiculous percentage of us Canajians live less than 3 hours North of the American border.

Guess that means we can continue cross border shopping until the price gouging stops.

Sixlitre

BTW.........90 cents a litre in Ottawa today !!!!!!!! I noticed upstate NewYork was $3.09 a gallon.

My Superford site
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Practicing Infidel

Couldn't REEEsist comparing our over taxed Canadian gallon to an American gallon of the same size.

So I cyphered it all up and here tis';

90 cents Canadian for a Canadian litre X 4.55 litres = $4.09 per Imperial gallon
for a spoilt Canadian b@$turd to purchase it in Gravytown (Ottawa Canada's national capital).

Just across the border, into upstate NewYork, in Ogdensburg gas is going for $3.09 per American sized gallon. To convert, I;

3.09 divided by 3.78 = 81.7 cents a litre

81.7 cents X 1.14 (exchange rate for an American dollar)= 93.1 cents Canadian per litre

93.1 cents X 4.55 = $4.23 Canadian for an Imperial (Canadian) gallon of gas in upstate NewYork.

That means I'ze only saving 14 cents a gallon or 3.1 cents a litre by crossing over to the states to fuel up .

Given the MASSIVE savings in auto parts prices, I'm still gonna cross over to pick em' up, just won't be saving much by gassing up.

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 12:30 AM
Local # 40 Boilermakers

Bronco Info: transforming...
It was $2.29 a gallon here yesterday

UNION PRIDE
MY STUPIDMOTORS
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Practicing Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONCONUT View Post
It was $2.29 a gallon here yesterday
You got it a lot better than upstate NewYork muh friend

Theyz still at $2.95, at best. Some stations iz still ova 3 bucks a gallon.

http://www.motortrend.com/gas_prices...ce/ogdensburg/

They're gettin' reamed so bad it's not worth my time to fill up there.....and I'm a taxed to death Canajian !

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 11:09 PM
Local # 40 Boilermakers

Bronco Info: transforming...
I will be back in good old KY Friday but I think the prices are comparable or close.

UNION PRIDE
MY STUPIDMOTORS
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 03:22 AM

Bronco Info: 93 EB x2, 1990 C350 diesel, 1978 xlt Jade green
Saw gas in Brantford Ontario for 88.9cents/litre today, lots around 90cents but this was the cheapest. Unfortunately I was driving my diesel Van today and lowest diesel I saw was 1.12/litre ouch!

I was delivering a 93 Taurus SHO and picking up a 92 Bronco XLT 5.0 5spd at the time so I was making full use of my diesel fuel , loaded both ways!!!

compression ignition rules

too many Fords?
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Practicing Infidel

Sis texted me from the center of the Canadian universe (Toronto) last week

and said she got gas at 79 cents uh litre.

the white collar criminals who collude on gas prices here in Ottawa tried to artificially inflate it by 10 extra cents this week.

Happily someone broke ranks less than a day later and it'sdropping down again

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 06:01 PM

Bronco Info: 1992 Bronc EB 5.8
[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixlitre View Post
Really SnappedAxe ?

Even with the reduced Canajian dollar I still have no problem making it worth my while to cross the border for American parts.

As an example a FelPro gasket set up here is $196.00. EXACT same part number over the border was $48.00.

Canadian price gouging, highway robbery if you ask me. If you bring the stuff in from RockAuto (to an American address)I've often paid as low as 1/10th of what the part was up here.

Even now, I could drive down in a Kenworth and still save money.

Guess that means we can continue cross border shopping until the price gouging stops.

You are right, It still works great for a lot of the expensive stuff, It just use to be so much better, now with the time I would miss from work, difference in the dollars and paying tax coming back over, it just doesn't work as well, especially being able to get dealer prices at most of my local parts stores through work. plus my truck isn't on the road yet, and I drive a Fiesta, Even completely removing the seats doesn't make much room to best take advantage of driving to the States. And on top of that my closest border is Detroit. Once I need a bunch of stuff it is still worth it.
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Practicing Infidel

I'ze hearin' you Axe

especially on the local parts places. I have one place that occasionally beats the American price, in Canadian dollars.

Of course, that was last Fall. As oil prices drop so does our dollar and I've found it doesn't take parts wholesalers minutes to jack up Canadian parts prices.

If that happens it will be even more important to cross border shop for American parts, regardless of the exchange rate and no gas savings.

I'm slowly putting together a parts order(now that the Xmas madness is over) to coincide with a Western style shirt order from Texas(6 long sleeved, double pocket fancy type cowboy shirts (in 2 & 3XLT) for under 100 bucks, no shipping cost).

Going to make it worth my while, even though I'm only 25 minutes from the UPS store over the border.

Won't be saving a dime filling up over there though. Ogdensburg gas works out to 86.4 cents Canadian for a Canadian litre and Ottawa gas prices are as low as 86.0 cents a litre.

I'd love to find a decent 3/4 length Winter coat (in 3XLT) on the net, but frankly the American sites I've cruised just don't have anything warm enough (IMO).

Can't understand that, as there's plenty of places in the states, just as ball-chillingly cold as many of our parts of Canada.

Blew the main zip on my favourite red 3/4 length jacket in Sudbury over Xmas and if Ottawa had had a 3XLT jacket, when I returned, I'd have bought it right on the spot.

As it stood I grabbed an older Columbia ski jacket I had and stuck my red coat into a leather repair guy. He completely replaced the zip and fixed a few velcro tabs for $30.00 cash.

Point being I probably saved a few bucks not having to buy another coat, I'm sure. Guess I'll wait until March and buy an extra 3/4 Winter coat then.

Later

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Owned 20 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Where ya at now Six? You're gonna love this. I ran the fuel gauge pretty low on a highway trip yesterday. So it took about 25 gals. to fill the truck, and the bill was $36.50... $1.49/gal. basically.

Course I keep reminding myself that as oil has taken a dive, so have company stocks, and to some extent (I'm not blaming the last month of the market downturn on just oil), the market as a whole. So I saved some dough at the pumps, and have given up more than $10k in my and the wifes retirement accounts. So I would not mind seeing a bottom and slow upturn.

post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Practicing Infidel

Shadowfax

Hope it's a real slow upturn.

We just couldn't keep paying what we were paying, up here in Canada. It affected everything we did, as everything we bought/ate/consumed was trucked or flown or railed to us.

What a lot of "car-less" urban Canadians don't understand, or refuse to admit, is we need fossil fuels every month of the year up here.

Not just for the above mentioned items(basically to live), but also to heat our homes and businesses and the very water they wash their precious, carbon free tushes with.

I just can't believe our luck. You live your life under a tyrannical cloud like OPEC or the Berlin wall and then suddenly things that you never thought would end.....just change.

I was born just before they erected the Berlin wall and I just lived with the fact it would always be there. One day it came down ! (a big thank you to Ronnie Reagan and Maggie Thatcher BTW).

Same with OPEC. The b@$turds set up shop just as I got my license and I thought we'd always be held hostage by them.

It got worse with them. There is irrefutable evidence some of those countries were funding people that hated us. It irked me that every time I filled my pride and joy I was somehow buying bullets that were being aimed at my soldiers or the soldiers of my allies.

When Canada started processing the tar sands and America found shale oil, I wanted to kick the teeth right out of the head of ANY environmentalist who opposed it.

There are priorities in life and in my rose coloured world, as soon as you are able, you stop buying oil from people that hate your very existence...... FIRST.....PERIOD.

The Canadians that oppose the oil pipeline are just sanctioning another Lac Megantic disaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac-M%C..._rail_disaster

That's just pure selfishness. Any oil we can pump down a pipe, means we don't have to rail it through cities, where environmentalists(and other second rate humans) live.

Oil by nature isn't clean......surprise, surprise environmentalists ! Arabian oil doesn't taste any better than oil sands oil.

OPEC oil funds, trains and equips terrorists. Canadian tar sands oil provides jobs, gross national product and pays your public service wages through taxes.

Imported oil does NONE of that.....and we still have to pay you $116,000.00 a year to teach grade one.

The mistake the A-Rabs in OPEC made, was they allowed oil to remain high long enough so we could pay for tons of research and development in the extraction process. That allowed us to extract oil from tar sands for less than half what it used to cost.

We're now sitting on 300 years WORLD supply in Athabasca. America is also in a good position too.

The biggest fear now, in Canada, is that politicians (Ontario Liberals) will swoop in and tax the living $h!t out of us, to take any savings we might realize, away from us in gas/carbon taxes.

The idea of paying carbon taxes, in a world where there are still people that can't feed themselves, is INSANE.

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Owned 20 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixlitre View Post
Shadowfax

Hope it's a real slow upturn.

We just couldn't keep paying what we were paying, up here in Canada. It affected everything we did, as everything we bought/ate/consumed was trucked or flown or railed to us.

What a lot of "car-less" urban Canadians don't understand, or refuse to admit, is we need fossil fuels every month of the year up here.

Not just for the above mentioned items(basically to live), but also to heat our homes and businesses and the very water they wash their precious, carbon free tushes with.

I just can't believe our luck. You live your life under a tyrannical cloud like OPEC or the Berlin wall and then suddenly things that you never thought would end.....just change.

I was born just before they erected the Berlin wall and I just lived with the fact it would always be there. One day it came down ! (a big thank you to Ronnie Reagan and Maggie Thatcher BTW).

Same with OPEC. The b@$turds set up shop just as I got my license and I thought we'd always be held hostage by them.

It got worse with them. There is irrefutable evidence some of those countries were funding people that hated us. It irked me that every time I filled my pride and joy I was somehow buying bullets that were being aimed at my soldiers or the soldiers of my allies.

When Canada started processing the tar sands and America found shale oil, I wanted to kick the teeth right out of the head of ANY environmentalist who opposed it.

There are priorities in life and in my rose coloured world, as soon as you are able, you stop buying oil from people that hate your very existence...... FIRST.....PERIOD.

The Canadians that oppose the oil pipeline are just sanctioning another Lac Megantic disaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac-M%C..._rail_disaster

That's just pure selfishness. Any oil we can pump down a pipe, means we don't have to rail it through cities, where environmentalists(and other second rate humans) live.

Oil by nature isn't clean......surprise, surprise environmentalists ! Arabian oil doesn't taste any better than oil sands oil.

OPEC oil funds, trains and equips terrorists. Canadian tar sands oil provides jobs, gross national product and pays your public service wages through taxes.

Imported oil does NONE of that.....and we still have to pay you $116,000.00 a year to teach grade one.

The mistake the A-Rabs in OPEC made, was they allowed oil to remain high long enough so we could pay for tons of research and development in the extraction process. That allowed us to extract oil from tar sands for less than half what it used to cost.

We're now sitting on 300 years WORLD supply in Athabasca. America is also in a good position too.

The biggest fear now, in Canada, is that politicians (Ontario Liberals) will swoop in and tax the living $h!t out of us, to take any savings we might realize, away from us in gas/carbon taxes.

The idea of paying carbon taxes, in a world where there are still people that can't feed themselves, is INSANE.

Sixlitre
Ya, but what did you pay for gas recently, were you anywhere near $1.49?

Ford Bronco Forum > Wheeling > Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode