AZ FACTION - Page 176 - Ford Bronco Forum
 206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #3501 of 3525 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:29 PM
JAN. '17 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
Here are some videos of @itwasFREE!!!! and another BKO Guy (Not sure if he is on FSB)

The Trails are in the Table Mesa Area on trails called Lower Terminator , and Predator (some very hairy spots) We were there on April 8th :

JGR and 460bronc89 like this.

Last edited by Quader1; 04-16-2017 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Fix Tag, spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3502 of 3525 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:51 PM

Nice meeting some of you guys yesterday at the MnG! Looking forward to more get togethers in the future. A bit of background on my Bronco and me, for anyone interested (or just bored)...

My dad took delivery of his factory ordered '79 F-150 not long before I was born, and it was the first vehicle I ever rode in when I was carted home from the hospital. He still has the truck to this day. Having ridden around in that truck so many times growing up, the distinctive (to me anyway) sounds of a 70's F-series/Bronco door hinges, door strikers, starter, etc. are firmly implanted in my brain. The early beginnings of my own mechanical interest and aptitude also came from that truck - we rebuilt the 351M at home back in the early 90's, and I regularly served as wrench gofer as maintenance projects arose.

When I was growing up I'd pour over any 4WD magazines I could find, and was really enamored by Project Deepwoods, a '78 Bronco that Off Road Magazine featured periodically in the late 80's; it had the late 70's frontend that I was so familiar with, but in a cooler, more aggressive package. I still have several of those old magazines tucked away in my safe.

Fast forward to the early 2000's and I had been looking for a clean second gen Bronco of my own off-and-on for several years. Through some friend-of-a-friend connections I ultimately found my '79 shortly before it was publicly listed for sale. It was sold to me by the original owner's son in law. The original owner had recently passed, and unfortunately I never had the opportunity to meet him. The Bronco had 36k miles on it at the time; as the original owner had lived in the San Juan Islands (WA state) for many of the years that he owned the truck, the low mileage came largely due to geographic constraints. He'd used it primarily to tow his boat. Despite the rainy conditions in western WA and proximity to salt water, the Bronco had only the tiniest bit of surface rust in three spots, thanks to having been garaged pretty consistently. Everything worked, including the factory AC. All of the factory sheetmetal is intact (it's never had any body work done) and all of the original interior is still there in great condition. It was, and still is, a true survivor and I feel fortunate to have found it.

It was fully grampa'ed out when I got it, with gold wheels, gold running boards, old school tow mirrors, a bug guard, a homemade tow receiver welded to the frame (questionable at best), and a 70's era trailer brake controller. All of those things were quickly jettisoned. The only notable issue with the Bronco was that due to the combination of older age and low mileage, many seals/gaskets were weeping oil, and an uncorked PCV hose had been left to gradually spray down the top of the motor with oil. When it came time to replace the water pump in early '06, the project quickly spiraled into a full rebuild. The factory 400, laden with 70's era internal/external emissions garbage, was due to be woken up. A fresh TCI C6 tranny was also queued up.

Aside from machine work and installation of the cam bearings, I handled the job myself solo in my home garage. I had a great time with it. Progress was reasonably steady until I started dating the girl that I would go on to marry several years later (and divorce several years after that). My responsibilities at work were also growing rapidly. Sadly the Bronco was put on the back burner as my remaining free time drifted more towards other hobbies and vehicles. The fact that my Bronco was becoming a garage relic was a running joke in my group of friends. It very nearly became one of those projects that never gets done.

It wasn't until 2011, a full five years after the rebuild project started, when the big push came to get the Bronco back on the road, spurred by an impending move to another home an hour north. What a relief to finally have it driveable again! Nonetheless, the Bronco spent much of the next six years parked idle in my shop. Life continued to get busier, and my interest in the Bronco waned. Fast forward to late 2016/early 2017 and I was in the midst of a significant downsizing of "stuff" as part of preparing to move to central AZ and pursue a new career in commercial aviation. As much as I hate to admit it, I came very close to selling my Bronco as part of that downsizing. It wasn't until I wrote the for sale ad that my deep rooted sentimental side kicked in and I realized that I couldn't bring myself to sell it.

So, after a 1600 mile drive from western WA to central AZ (with a full load in the back - note the extra saggy rear in the Johnson Valley and Joshua Tree photos), my '79 is now with me in the sunny state of Arizona. Perhaps it's the motivational power of sunshine but I've been driving my Bronco regularly since getting down here, and have even considered elevating it to daily driver status. I don't intend to build it into a hardcore trail rig (been there done that in the past with other rigs) but do have some additional upgrades planned and will be bringing it out for easy/moderate runs.

Thanks for reading what turned into a bit of a novel! I'm very rarely on FSB, but I'll keep an eye out on this thread, and on the AZ Bronco Club page on FB as well.

- Chris
post #3503 of 3525 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:24 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 XL
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasFREE!!!! View Post
MEET n GREET 9.0
TIP TOP MINE

April 22nd 9-11 we are meeting at the Walmart on Anthem Blvd!

This is a easy trail in the Table Mesa Area & is by all right a Family friendly trail for all types of Broncos including Stockers as long as you have a working 4wd & good tires!
Here is a little History on the area!

Primarily a silver-mining town, it had a post office from August 12, 1880, until February 14, 1895. The town was founded after Jack Moore and Bill Corning struck a significant lode of silver in 1875.[2][3]

The nearby ghost town of Gillett was the original mill site for the ore from the Tip Top mine.

Tip Top at its peak had over 500 residents and was one of the largest towns in Arizona at the time.

Many ruins still exist in Tip Top today.

Tip Top is the setting for The Nightjar Women, the last story in the weird western anthology Merkabah Rider: Tales of a High Planes Drifter by Edward M. Erdelac.

There's slot more history but that's for you to research, before you go!

One final thing afterwards we will be stopping at the Roadrunner Bar n Grill for Burgers & Cold Beverages!

Hey gang,

It's been six months since I ran this trail and conditions have changed dramatically after all the rains we had this winter. I went out this last weekend to check trail conditions and the trail is no longer passable with stock ride height. You can get about 3/4 of the way in a stock truck and there are plenty of areas to park if you want to come out and hike in the last couple of miles or hitch a ride in the empty seats we will have! The area is quite scenic and the old mine area is worth the trip.
itwasFREE!!!! and Quader1 like this.

Giving condolence is like masturbation. It feels good for the person doing it - But it does nothing for the person who they are thinking about

post #3504 of 3525 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:28 AM
JAN. '17 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by not a jeep View Post
Hey gang,

It's been six months since I ran this trail and conditions have changed dramatically after all the rains we had this winter. I went out this last weekend to check trail conditions and the trail is no longer passable with stock ride height. You can get about 3/4 of the way in a stock truck and there are plenty of areas to park if you want to come out and hike in the last couple of miles or hitch a ride in the empty seats we will have! The area is quite scenic and the old mine area is worth the trip.
I'll post this up on FB page
post #3505 of 3525 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 01:32 PM
Crusher Mike

Bronco Info: 1991 Eddie Bauer 5.8. Flowmaster exuast, SAS 35 mickeys 7" lift, 4.88s locked, Viar OBA
Looks like fun, when do you guys want to come and run in Florence Junction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYXD40 View Post
okay so scrap the 1 ton and throw in a D60?
post #3506 of 3525 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 02:34 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 92 XLT 5.8L 4" tuff country lift, 35" BFG
Garage
That was a fun trail yesterday, was happy I was able to meet more of the guys in AZ Bronco Club. Some amazing rigs and great guy and gals. look forward to more trails.
itwasFREE!!!! likes this.

92 5.8XLT,
A work in progress
Anthem, AZ
post #3507 of 3525 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:01 PM
F.O.T.Y. 2016

Bronco Info: 92 302 E4od 35s stak3spd monsterbox 4:88 ectedmaxf/r rcv axles hydro-assist steering sas vair
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1clean5.8 View Post
Looks like fun, when do you guys want to come and run in Florence Junction?
So hey @1clean5.8 check out the next Meet N Greet we will be at Bulldog Canyon May 13th it will certainly give you a chance to get More action shots for your Run for FOTM!!!! I posted the Meet on FB yesterday ill get it up here today at lunch.

At times it's best to keep one's mouth shut & be thought a fool, than to open it & remove all doubt! Abraham Lincoln

Thank you for Making me FOTY 2016

post #3508 of 3525 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 10:35 AM
Crusher Mike

Bronco Info: 1991 Eddie Bauer 5.8. Flowmaster exuast, SAS 35 mickeys 7" lift, 4.88s locked, Viar OBA
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasFREE!!!! View Post
So hey @1clean5.8 check out the next Meet N Greet we will be at Bulldog Canyon May 13th it will certainly give you a chance to get More action shots for your Run for FOTM!!!! I posted the Meet on FB yesterday ill get it up here today at lunch.
Ha I must have passed that trail a million times in all the years Ive lived out here. I will make sure we are out there.

Quote:
post #3509 of 3525 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 01:02 PM
F.O.T.Y. 2016

Bronco Info: 92 302 E4od 35s stak3spd monsterbox 4:88 ectedmaxf/r rcv axles hydro-assist steering sas vair
Garage
Meet n Greet 10.1 Bulldog Canyon

We will be meeting at the GoldField Ghost Town
4650 N. Mammoth Mine Rd
Apache Junction, AZ 85119
Please be on time it will be Hot & we want to get an early start, so we will be meeting at 7am. We will be doing the same thing we did for the tip top mine and hold our raffle & normal MNG gathering at lunchtime! You will want to bring small bills 1s & 5s to participate in our raffles they are only getting better with great prizes. We will be leaving by 8am at the latest! Again pls be on time!!!

BullDog Canyon is Primarily a 4x4 playground, this area has numerous rocky desert trails with some great scenery. There will be bypasses for the technical parts of the trail! A gate combination code and A PERMIT is required to access the area, which can be obtained online or in person from the Tonto National Forest. The permit is 100% FREE, there is a $75 fine for not having one! You will need to provide a driver's license or some other valid form of identification. Still, the process is quite simple and only takes a few minutes. Here is a Link:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto...telprdb5348179
Wyatt will be leading this trail & will chime in time to time to answer any questions you might have!
Joyride20 and Quader1 like this.

At times it's best to keep one's mouth shut & be thought a fool, than to open it & remove all doubt! Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by itwasFREE!!!!; 04-25-2017 at 01:13 PM.
post #3510 of 3525 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 07:19 PM
F.O.T.Y. 2016

Garage
Meet n Greet 11.0

Here we go again Az Bronco Club members. This is the next Meet n Greet which will have a pre night run to it, open to all makes and models But modified with lights lockers sliders and min 33'' tires. Click the Facebook link to the Event Page HERE Send me a Pm with details if you are planning on going.

For those of you who don't have Facebook, here are the details.

Meet and Greet 11.0 will take place in the southern portion of our state.
We will be meeting in the town of Oracle, Az at the Circle K located at 335 W American Ave at 9:30AM ON June 17th. For the usual AZ Bronco Club style Meet and greet which will include a raffle and of course the opportunity to meet and socialize with other members of our awesome club.
Following the MnG, around 10:30-11am we will depart on our trail run for the day for which we will head up the back side of beautiful Mt. Lemmon.
This will be a family/stock bronco friendly run with a side run up Rice peak for the adventurous/modified Rigs. For this side run, you will need a minimum 4" lift, min. 33" tires, and a limited slip or locked diff.
There is a beautiful area in the woods to hangout if you don't wish to participate in this portion and I'm sure there will be some empty seats in the rigs heading up Rice peak.
This side run will not occupy much more than an hour or so of time.
The remainder of the run up the mountain will require a working 4x4 and minimum 31" tires. (No lift required).
This will be a beautiful trip up the mountain, through the pines, with much cooler temps than in the valley and there is an enormous cave system that I will take people to visit if there is much interest. When we reach the top of the mountain there is a lil mountain town named summer haven where we can have a late lunch/early dinner and a beer if people desire.

Now, for those wanting even more of an adventure...
We are also organizing a night-time run/campout for the evening of Friday the 16th. This run will be on a well known, popular, and frankly BADASS trail by the name of Chimney Rock, which is located in Redington Pass Near Tucson.
This run is for the modified rigs and will require a minimum 4" lift, 33-35" tires, a locker, and testicular fortitude.
Myself (Scott Bower) and Erick Lemke will be hosting this night run and I'm sure the list of participants will grow.
We will be camping out that night at Chimney rock and heading convoy style to the meet and greet to hook up with the rest of the club Saturday morning.
This entire weekend promises to be a blast and we encourage all who are able to attend.

We will be chiming in here in the coming weeks with further information and hopefully some pictures to get your motors fired up in anticipation of this event.

Please do not hesitate to pm myself or another club admin with any questions.

Hope to see you all there!!!

Last edited by itwasFREE!!!!; 05-10-2017 at 07:56 PM.
post #3511 of 3525 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Crusher Mike

Since it is mothers day weekend I am still planning on heading out I am probably going to meet you by the gate to bulldog canyon it makes no sense for me to go past it 10 miles. Well just looked at the map are you guys heading in the north entrance or over by usery pass?

Quote:
post #3512 of 3525 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 05:34 PM
F.O.T.Y. 2016

Garage
MnG 11.0 Videos

Hopefully others will post their videos and photos as well!

Here is my Three.

Joyride20 and 460bronc89 like this.

Last edited by Quader1; 05-16-2017 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Embed videos
post #3513 of 3525 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Crusher Mike

I much Rather have been doing that than at the lake. awesome!

Quote:
post #3514 of 3525 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:19 PM
JAN. '17 F.O.T.M.

Garage
post #3515 of 3525 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 07:51 PM

Bronco Info: 1986 with a windsaaaar
AZ FACTION

Hey guys thought somebody here would get the most use from these. This guys giving away 2 Bronco tops. One for a 78-79 and one 80-96
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pts/6146216978.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3516 of 3525 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 08:30 PM
JAN. '17 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrone8970 View Post
Hey guys thought somebody here would get the most use from these. This guys giving away 2 Bronco tops. One for a 78-79 and one 80-96
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pts/6146216978.html

I posted it in az club , should go quick... thanks for posting!!
post #3517 of 3525 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 PM

Bronco Info: 1986 with a windsaaaar
Not a problem. Thanks for putting it where it's useful!

post #3518 of 3525 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 12:21 AM

Bronco Info: 78 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT. 406 engine, c6, d44 front with 9" rear
the night run on june 16th, when you say "testicular fortitude", is this just cause its at night or is it technical, or possibility of a lot of rock rash?
post #3519 of 3525 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 12:45 PM
F.O.T.Y. 2016

Garage
Meet N Greet 11.0

June 17th 9:30 Tucson

All right bronco boys and girls!!!
Meet and greet 11.0 will take place in the southern portion of our state.
We will be meeting in the town of Oracle, Az at the circle K located at 335 W American Ave, Oracle, Az. 85623 at 9:30AM
For the usual AZ Bronco Club style Meet and greet which will include a raffle and of course the opportunity to meet and socialize with other members of our awesome club.
Following the meet and greet, at around 10:30-11am we will depart on our trail run for the day for which we will head up the back side of beautiful Mt. Lemmon.
This will be a family/stock bronco friendly run with a side run up Rice peak for the adventurous/modified Rigs. For this side run, you will need a minimum 4" lift, min. 33" tires, and a limited slip or locked diff.
There is a beautiful area in the woods to hangout if you don't wish to participate in this portion and I'm sure there will be some empty seats in the rigs heading up rice peak.
This side run will not occupy much more than an hour or so of time.
The remainder of the run up the mountain will require a working 4x4 and minimum 31" tires. (No lift required).
This will be a beautiful trip up the mountain, through the pines, with much cooler temps than in the valley and there is an enormous cave system that I will take people to visit if there is much interest. When we reach the top of the mountain there is a lil mountain town named summer haven where we can have a late lunch/early dinner and a beer if people desire. As always, this official Saturday run is for BRONCOS only.

Now, for those wanting even more of an adventure...
We are also organizing a night-time run/campout for the evening of Friday the 16th. This run will be on a well known, popular, and frankly BADASS trail by the name of Chimney Rock, which is located in Redington Pass Near Tucson.
This run is for the modified rigs OF ALL KINDS (yes bring a bud with a jeep or even a Chevy) and will require a minimum 4" lift, 33-35" tires, a locker or limited slip diff, and testicular fortitude.
@Rragnar1488 and @itwasFREE!!!! will be hosting this night run and I'm sure the list of participants will grow.
We will be camping out that night at Chimney rock and heading convoy style to the meet and greet to hook up with the rest of the club Saturday morning.
This entire weekend promises to be a blast and we encourage all who are able to attend.

We will be chiming in here in the coming weeks with further information and hopefully some pictures to get your motors fired up in anticipation of this event.

**** fees*****
There are no fees for the Friday night campout in Redington pass/Chimney rock.

For Saturdays run there will be no fees unless somebody wishes to camp Saturday night in a developed forest service campground.
My wife and I plan to camp both nights but will do so in a non-fee area.
If you wish to use a developed area, The fee is ten dollars payable at a ranger station on the mountain. Again, there is no fee to participate in the run.

Please do not hesitate to pm myself or another club admin with any questions.

Hope to see you all there!!!

post #3520 of 3525 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 01:03 PM
F.O.T.Y. 2016

Garage
2 somewhat new AZ Broncos

@tkrone8970 and @KopfenJager welcome glad to see you two chiming in hear on the AZ Faction. I sent both of you 2 requests a friend req, and a social group req, please accept both of them. Also I've posted the June Meet N Greet. Let me tell you about who we are to date 345 members strong realistically maybe 40-50 active meaning participating in Meets. Our members are from all over AZ, so we try to hold MnG all over the state which allows everyone to join in on the fun and also allows us to get out and do trails elsewhere. We are a Family friendly Club. We are also a BRONCO ONLY club. if the Banner on your rig has the word Bronco in it you can be a member we also give one exception and that is to the Centurion. I hope you both can make it, we raffle off some really nice prizes. we occasionally put together runs that are considered open so you can invite your friends and their 4wheel machines, But our MnG runs are strictly Bronco only they are also Stock friendly and Family friendly Trails runs and Meets, so bring the family out. I wanted to also mention if you are on FaceBook search Groups AZBRONCOCLUB its a very active page, the MnG will be in the pinned post, I encourage you to check out the file page the 4 sale page. we have a album title A Face and A Bronco please post 1 picture of you and your Bronco. One final thing when you are logged on here at FSB pls remember to Vote for TOP 4x4 Site and stop in and check out the FOTM, One of Az own is running this month @1clean5.8 so if you like his rig please vote for him.

If you have any questions please ask Ill be glad to help out.

Kind Regards, itwasFREE!!!! FOTY 2016
Rragnar1488 likes this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Wheeling > Southwest Chapter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode