39K views 220 replies 51 participants last post by  lifeizhard102205 
#1 ·

1)lifeizhard102205:thumbup

2)Scoop:thumbup

3)Ewgoetz:thumbup

4)magnumpi:thumbup

5)tstimson:thumbup

#2 ·
What happened to tstimsons name in the poll above? However fitting as the emoticon may be for Terry, folks outside of Dixie chapter may not know him as Smiley thumbs up LOL.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
yeeeaaaaa.....well i gots a little story i'd like to tell, about cool little bronco you know so well....
ok enough of the Beastie Boys. lol. here's how the bronco started out when i first got it 3 years ago...

the very first upgrade i did was remove those steps you see in some of the pics.

and here's a few pics of how it sits now from my most recent outing with it...

i'm going to post a little bit everyday on here. so this is the most amount of pics i'm probably going to post in one day but stay tuned for the full story about the bronco and the fun it's had.....
and the full story on this as well....

#7 ·
so now that i've teased you a little bit....here's some background info on the bronco....
it's a 1993 Eddie Baur that i bought for $2800 in 2010 after selling my jeep. it's the second bronco i've owned. the first was a 94 with a 4" tuff country lift and 35's. this is by far the most i've ever built any vehicle. This is the 6 vehicle i've built and every time i've done a little bit more and more until i gained the confidence to do the things i've done to this one.
it had 147,000 miles on it when i got it. it's got about 170,000 on it now. being an Eddie Baur, it came with a 5.8L, automatic trans and transfer case, leather, captains chairs, power everything. i've since ditched the TTB for a solid 44 from a 79 bronco stuffed withh 4.88's, lockright, chromoly shafts and 79 f250 outers for an 8 lug conversion and brake upgrade. the rear is a sterling 10.25 full floater with 35 spline shafts, 4.88's and lockright out of a 1990 f250. prior to the SAS i had a dick cepek class 2 6" lift on it. i've also swapped in a zf5 speed to get rid of the E4OD along with a manual tcase. i did a 6Litre tune up on it as well (second upgrade i did). I want to say thanks to the many people on FSB that helped me along the way and for the knowledge this site has in it. Without either, the bronco would not be what it is today. Fox Bravo, Brochoncho, Rusty Shackleford, Swat, Shadowfax, Hefty, Wilson's Off Road in Fayetteville, NC, Tanner 4x4 in Colorado Springs thank you. Anyone else that's helped along the way thanks as well. Don't be mad if i left you out, it wasn't intentional. And a big thanks goes out to Norfolkff0 for nominating me....again.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
yes i have power doors still....

for now....

they are being stored in the garage

and i just clipped the wires. make sure you disconnect the battery first though. there are a few hot wires going through there. i've contacted weatherpack to try and find a 16 wire (you weren't too far off) disconnect but all they say is "we manufacture the parts and wholesale them to retailers for resale" when asked if they can help locate the nearest authorized retailer they refuse to respond. needless to say, i'm going to explore the local electronics shops when the time comes. right now the weather is great though and i dont need doors....

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
In the Beginning . . .

I guess my fascination for everything Bronco goes back to my high school days when a friend of a friend had a Bronco (a 66??) and would do 4-wheel burnouts in the parking lot. I always thought that Bronco was really cool. Fast forward to 1980 and I bought my first Bronco - a 69 - and it was my daily driver for almost 8 years. I bought it in Eureka, CA when I was in the Navy and took it to Austin, TX to go back to school. I sold that one in Houston as the family expanded and got my first FSB - a brown and tan 82. Great vehicle but I only had it for about a year. I got transferred in my job and was assigned a company car and could not justify keeping the Bronco. (One of those decisions you regret!)

I got back into Broncos in 1999 when we purchased a 74 Ranger from my wife's Grandmother's estate. She had bought it new and it was still in very good condition. Soon after getting it I took it to Paragon Adventure Park and proceeded to bend the front bumper and ding up the front fender! My wife said no more wheeling in Granny's Bronco so I talked her into letting me get an early Bronco trail rig project. Which I did. We still have both of those EB's but I had been wanting another FSB for some time - just how to convince the wife??? (And the 78-79's were really growing on me!)

At the SuperCelebration in 2008 I showed my wife a REALLY nice 79 and remarked how I would like to have one and how it would make a great tow vehicle for our trail rig. To my surprise she agreed that having a big Bronco would be nice - the hunt was on!

So here is what I found in Newport News and drug home!

Specs:

78 Bronco Custom
351M / C6 / NP203 (converted to part time by original owner)
AC / PS / PB
Front bench seat
Bright Yellow w/ Black & Silver interior, black top, factory pinstripping
White wagon wheels w/black centers

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
First Mod

First repair I did was a complete brake job. First mod was installation of a 23" Lokar floor shifter.

When I first installed it I was thinking I had made a mistake in getting the 23" instead of a shorter one. After using it a while I really like it. It's about the same length as an NP435 shifter and most people taking a quick look think it's a manual tranny.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
so the first few mods i didn't pics of.....removing the steps, 6Litre tune up and replacing all the fluids.....but the next one.....

i did.
this was completed over a week's time at the auto shop on bragg while i was recovering from knee surgery. i don't recommend doing this in the same condition i was in. not a fun experience. very painful. i did learn alot though.

rear complete. the original bolts that hold the leafs to the hanger were rusted in there pretty good and required a pry bar, punch and hammer to remove. i used new grade 8 bolts and a little bit of axle grease on the bolt body itself.

got the front end off. i tried drilling the rivets out at first....big mistake...it led to this....

the third piece bounced off my cheek and i couldn't find it afterwards. needless to say, i didn't have to be reminded to wear saftey glasses when drilling anymore. lol.

yes, the radius arm is not in the mount yet. i didn't quite trust myself measuring from where to where yet so i assembled everything else first. then measured, used a jack to confirm, then measured again. but it came out great in the end.

pre alignment..

post alignment...

and one of my favorite pics....

the tires piled up at the rear of the vehicle are the original tires so it gives a reference as to how big a 6" lift and 35's really are.

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
will do. thanks for the line on Ryan as well.

have to give mine to lifehazard i did alot of the reading into a SAS through his thread helped out with some idea's also just a nice bronco, best of luck to all :beer
thank you. glad the thread helped out. i got a lot of my ideas for it from fox bravo's thread. unfortunately he doesnt have his bronco anymore :-(

time for some random wheeling pics today....tomorrow will be more upgrades....

bronco taking the hard line....jeep taking the easy line....:rockon

not a big mud fan but here's a few for those of you that are....

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Before the Engine Work

While I was waiting to rebuild the engine I got a few things done - I had the tranny rebuilt and the TC resealed and some parts painted . . .

. . . and the frame/engine compartment cleaned up and painted . . .

and reconditioned the inner fenders. I used a "cold galvanizing compound" to try to get it back to a factory look without having them re-galvanized. Turned out very nice looking but it has a rough texture that is hard to keep clean.

Before I get too far into the build, let me lay out my original goals for this Bronco. Let me say right now that it is far from finished - if it ever will be - but it's currently in driveable and usable condition. And I'm trying to drive and use it hard (more on this later) in order to work out all the bugs! AND I have found a few bugs (more on this later, too!)

My goals:

* Tow rig for my early Bronco trail rig and general towing duty
* Good street manners, mild engine build -keep the 351M as the basis for my motor
* FUEL INJECTION - I knew I would be taking it to Colorado a lot and I don't want to mess with a carb at altitude!
* Mild resto-mod touches here and there (like the Lokar) but generally a stock-looking restoration
* Keep the round headlights! LOL
* Some trail capability - but I'll leave the hard stuff for my early Bronco trail rig!

I was struggling with the color scheme I am going to paint it until I saw a pic of the 1978 "Bronco Mule" in an issue of Bronco Driver about a year ago. It was the same Bright Yellow and had a 2-tone paint job I really liked. Here is the photo:

As you can see it looks a lot like mine probably did new - same base color, same trim and even round headlights. I really liked how the hood and cab and cap were the same color which shows off the targa band across the top - but without the 2-tone race track treatment. I really like race track trim but mine did not have it and I don't want to add it. Lately though I'm thinking I want to do a mule "evil twin" with the white areas done in black!

#27 · (Edited)
tstimson 92

Hello FSB World, Names Terry. Quick story about my 92 XLT Bronco. I bought it in 96 from Burt Ford on Arapaho Blvd in Colorado. I got relocated there working for ICG which had the leaning building off of Hwy 25 in Inverness Tech Park. Burt was having a sale on 5.0, XL package, 5 speed for 15k. Having a new baby and having to deal with a bench seat. I said screw that!!. On the lot there was this 92 XLT 2-tone brown, full power, 351, auto. It had 31” BFG TA, 85k. Sold!!!! First thing I did was buy a Rancho 4’ lift with (6) 5000 shocks, (5) 586 rims with 33” Big O tires. New 3” exhaust, brakes, ADS chip, braided brake lines all from a Speed shop that is no longer with us. Super Shops.
After that I relocated to Spokane Washington. I bought a traction kit from 4 Wheeler parts. It consisted of an 8.8 Detroit, a TrueTrac for the front and 4.56 gears all around, rebuild kits and new Warn hubs. Central 4 Wheel Drive installed the kit for me. What a hugh difference in traction. Then I moved from Spokane to Idaho. I bought 60 acres and a 2k sq. ft. log house in Rathum, Idaho. The place came with a 10 acre rock quarry. I was in heaven. Next I got a set of BFG 34x12.50 AT’s . Then I got relocated back to Denver then to Orlando then to Georgia.

I have completed the following upgrades, Flow tech headers, 3g Alternator out of a 95 Mustang, Air Conditioning out of a 98 Mustang, Sagsaw Steering pump from a 99 E250 van, under drive pulleys from Steeda, FIPK air filter from K&N, 95 ECU, 95 E4OD trans which I have rebuilt it myself with a shift kit, 95 manual T-case (No push button), 2005 F150 rear leaf springs (lengthen the wheel base over 3”), relocated the rear shocks up higher, James Duff 70/30 long ass shocks, Super Lift tractions bars. I have dumped the rear bench seat for Summit racing buckets seats, G-Force 3’ lap belts. I removed most of the interior plastic. . I have had 4 sets on the Bronco now. I just changed to Mickey Thompsons Bear Claw TTC’s. The truck rides much quieter. I have posted pic’s showing most of the upgrades. The Bronco is not my daily driver but it could be at any time. AC, cruise control all work. It will spin the speedo around but is very scary at that speed. I can drive it to Colorado wheel is and drive it back in comfort.

http://www.supermotors.net/users/DukeSky

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/936586
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/936606
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/936605
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/936593
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/936584
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/936572
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/936590
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/936599
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/936598
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/936596

#28 ·
Hello FSB World, Names Terry. Quick story about my 92 XLT Bronco. I bought it in 96 from Burt Ford on Arapaho Blvd in Colorado. I got relocated there working for ICG which had the leaning building off of Hwy 25 in Inverness Tech Park. Burt was having a sale on 5.0, XL package, 5 speed for 15k. Having a new baby and having to deal with a bench seat. I said screw that!!. On the lot there was this 92 XLT 2-tone brown, full power, 351, auto. It had 31” BFG TA, 85k. Sold!!!! First thing I did was buy a Rancho 4’ lift with (6) 5000 shocks, (5) 586 rims with 33” Big O tires. New 3” exhaust, brakes, ADS chip, braided brake lines all from a Speed shop that is no longer with us. Super Shops.
After that I relocated to Spokane Washington. I bought a traction kit from 4 Wheeler parts. It consisted of an 8.8 Detroit, a TrueTrac for the front and 4.56 gears all around, rebuild kits and new Warn hubs. Central 4 Wheel Drive installed the kit for me. What a hugh difference in traction. Then I moved from Spokane to Idaho. I bought 60 acres and a 2k sq. ft. log house in Rathum, Idaho. The place came with a 10 acre rock quarry. I was in heaven. Next I got a set of BFG 34x12.50 AT’s . Then I got relocated back to Denver then to Orlando then to Georgia.
I have completed the following upgrades, Flow tech headers, 3g Alternator out of a 95 Mustang, Air Conditioning out of a 98 Mustang, Sagsaw Steering pump from a 99 E250 van, under drive pulleys from Steeda, FIPK air filter from K&N, 95 ECU, 95 E4OD trans which I have rebuilt it myself with a shift kit, 95 manual T-case (No push button), 2005 F150 rear leaf springs (lengthen the wheel base over 3”), relocated the rear shocks up higher, James Duff 70/30 long ass shocks, Super Lift tractions bars. I have dumped the rear bench seat for Summit racing buckets seats, G-Force 3’ lap belts. I removed most of the interior plastic. . I have had 4 sets on the Bronco now. I just changed to Mickey Thompsons Bear Claw TTC’s. The truck rides much quieter. I have posted pic’s showing most of the upgrades. The Bronco is not my daily driver but it could be at any time. AC, cruise control all work. It will spin the speedo around but is very scary at that speed. I can drive it to Colorado wheel is and drive it back in comfort.
Figuring out the posting method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.