MAY 2015 F.O.T.M., VOTE HERE!!! - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Who will be your MAY 2015 F.O.T.M.?
cstrike 37 38.14%
Deez-67 5 5.15%
raleigh 36 37.11%
379sinvb 7 7.22%
wevie 12 12.37%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:52 PM

Started using the bronco to get back into some dense over grown areas to shot aerials with the drone.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - O U T L A W - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - B R O N C O - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 06:02 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '79 built 400, Ford 10.5" Rear, Dana 60 Front, Locked, Twin Sticked
Extra post today since I couldn't post yesterday

This was the last bit of teardown on this Bronco.
I stripped down everything that was usable or sellable off it, sold the axles, seats, tires and top. Kept pretty much everything else.

Starting to load up the remains

Easy way to drop the trans and transfer case

All loaded up, going to scrap

Dave

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
post #83 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 06:19 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '79 built 400, Ford 10.5" Rear, Dana 60 Front, Locked, Twin Sticked
Next I started to sand down the rear quarters, the passenger side needed a ton of work.
Driver side looked pretty good overall.

I kind of bounced around at this point with no real focus, I mounted up all the frame brackets that were powder coated, beautiful!

1.25" Ruffstuff heims, these are big boys!

And the new axles from a 2002 F-350, complete with Warn lockout conversion

I had ordered these axle brackets from Ballistic, took them 4 weeks to send them to me, but they are nice quality pieces.

Dave

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

post #84 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 11:01 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
I got outside today and worked on mine. Yeah, it's not done if you haven't noticed or looked at the build thread. I bought two new doors a couple of months ago so why not hang them?

old

Now to swap the usable parts from the old over to the new one and then repeat on the other side.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #85 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 12:23 AM

dang cstrike, my new 96 looks just like yours did originally.
post #86 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 09:11 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 86 302/AOD on 8 lugs. 96 302/ZF5.
Garage
OK its Saturday May 9th and I have a wheeling trip this morning for more photo gathering. This is what I woke up to. I know, snow in mid-May might seem odd but keep in mind I do live in Arizona?

These next photos are from a few years back. They are mainly some poser shots taken during a camping trip along the Apache Trail. The trail is 40 miles long with 30 of that being dirt road.

Near the transition of pavement to dirt:

Apache Lake:

Awesome sunset as we were setting up camp. I couldn't resist one last poser pic.

When I finished this post I realized that my Bronco grew a tailgate trim somewhere along the trail? I forgot I camped the trail twice that year. My poor tailgate got dented pretty bad when I was moving trailers around my yard and was beered up. I was seriously heartbroken for a day or so then started collecting tailgate trim. I have a collection of them now but none with the elusive black carbon fiber looking strip.

post #87 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 10:38 PM
Resurection Ranch

Just in case anyone was wondering if this Bronco runs

https://www.UPO7BxWSQCc

It was just a little roll around the yard. I discovered yesterday I have a choke issue I need to deal with.

As you might have seen the original grill was trashed. So I looked around for a replacement. Ended up finding an 73 grill surround for $60 .

I picked up some round hl buckets and drilled the holes. Then purchased some new lights to install.

Got the grill all cleaned up

And I gave Bronco a bath today.

Gotcha, different Bronco

Rick
Filly

post #88 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 11:23 PM
FSM Lifetime

Next I started working on the chassis and getting the axles in place so I could start mock up of the radius arms.

First things first, gotta get new seals for the axles after going through the gears. The gears were in great shape and were already the ratio I wanted (4.10) so I left them in place. The front and rear are both LSD so that was a bonus!
After the new seals went in it was time to paint them, this was quite a job, they were muddy and rusty.

Using a plumb bob I centered the front directly under the spring bucket

The rear got ORD Zero rates to recenter after the shackle flip

Started working on the radius arms next, Ruffstuff frame side mounts, I ended up adding 2 more 1/2" bolts to each side.

Collecting parts for the radius arms

Lower links mocked up

Arms completed, ended up painting them black like the rest of the chassis

Dave

post #89 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 10:18 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Another cool place I am lucky enough to live near is Sedona AZ. I head down there pretty regularly and although none of the trails are overly challenging it is world class scenery and a decent way to test my newest modifications. The main touristy trails in Sedona are sponsored by Jeep tour companies and sometimes the trails are choked with tour Jeeps. It can be annoying but the fee they pay the forest service goes to preserving the area.

We started by cruising down Schnebly Hill road which is a dirt road that winds down from the highway south of Flagstaff (~7000ft) down into Sedona (~4000ft) so it is tons of switchbacks and scenic overlooks of the red rocks.

This video is me driving up what's called the Jeep Slide in an area of the Broken Arrow trail called the Jeep playground. The slide is just a steep section of slick rock and the tour Jeeps only go down the slide. As always the video doesn't do reality justice. Not that the Jeep slide is all that impressive, but it is definitely better in person. Not bad for open diffs.

vR-5mdW0u3w

post #90 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 10:36 AM
was born with a

Bronco Info: '93 FSB XLT REBUILT 351w WITH ALL NEW STUFF, 33's, AN RUST
This months fight is going strong!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno2
All hoes are connected to at least one nipple.
post #91 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 03:06 PM
FSM Lifetime

Cruising the classifieds I found a NOS tailgate for $150!!!! SOLD!!!!

I had a feeling I would be moving due to working in Vegas so much I decided it was time toe get the chassis rolling just in case.

That started with getting the engine and trans ready, it ran well and had little blow by so I decided to reseal and paint it for the time being.

This was a big step, I had lost some motivation until this point.

Next I moved from my buddies shop to my garage, I was able to do a bit more work on it there.

At the same time I sent the tub to be sand blasted. The more I dug into it the worse it seemed to be. More on the out come of this, stay tuned...

Dave

Last edited by raleigh; 05-10-2015 at 07:29 PM.
post #92 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:05 AM
Resurection Ranch

I had a little bump in the road with this project. Came home from the store and saw a tree down near the Bronco. I was in no hurry to see the damage in fear it split it in two. The following is what I found when I checked it.

My father in law came over the next day to give me a hand removing the tree.

I had an extra hood, two fenders and an inner fender I could replace the damage with.

Rick
Filly

post #93 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:14 AM

Bronco Info: 91 XLT 5.8
raleigh (Dave) I just had a flashback to that song by Johnny Cash, One Piece at A Time. Your build pics capture the time and effort of these projects very well.

post #94 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:58 AM
FSM Lifetime

I thought of that song a couple of times during this project, love that song

Dave

post #95 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:36 AM

finally found a spare wheel at one of pull-a-parts around here. So I mounted it up. Then it was time for a back up light. Also painted the top and put it back on in the fall.

Dogs love broncos

Changing the water pump.

Back up lights

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - O U T L A W - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - B R O N C O - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
post #96 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:18 PM
FSM Lifetime

I am posting while making dinner

Forgot to post that I had to rent a storage unit while I was transitioning out of my buddies shop, Ed (Huggyb) stopped by and helped me out with organizing the mess of parts I had.

We did end up moving to Vegas, a few weeks before the move I found "The Hulk" for $1000. I snatched it up, put down $500 and the rest when I picked it up after we moved. I didn't waste any time tearing into it. The body was 99% rust free, needed some body work but not much rust repair.

Got the body off the frame within 3 weeks

Hard to see, but at this point I had 3 bays full of Broncos!!!

I sold most of the parts, and broke even on the deal, NICE!

Dave

post #97 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:32 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Well I am about out of pictures with the 2.5" lift. Starting tomorrow my pics will be from the time I added my 6". Before we move on, here are a few misc. pics from before the transformation.

Everyone seems to love snow pics:

Putting her to work. I made a little fenced in area for the dogs in the back yard of my last house.

Lined up with big brother and my buddy's F-150:

Looking on with jealousy as the D60 gets prepped for big brother:

post #98 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:48 PM
FSM Lifetime

So much for "stockish" eh?
Man this is a good competition, I can't remember one so close, normally there is one rig that takes off.
I am really having a good time with this, I actually went through my own thread last night, there was actually some things I had forgotten about!

Dave

post #99 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:58 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
The next photos I just took last week because I was standing outside and the lighting was just right and I wanted to show dents that occurred from stress. The pictures are a little grainy but it is hard to capture these dents in photos. They are actually in most of the photos I am posting but hard to see.

These dents were not here before Moab. I was all flexed out on the top of an obstacle and my buddy and I heard a very loud thud. We were at a complete stop and the noise was very obvious and we both immediately looked at each other. What the hell could that have been? I rolled to flat ground and got out and after looking all around and under the truck I finally saw the source of the sound. The flex on the body under max suspension articulation caused the sheet metal to pull in. It happened suddenly and violently. The driver's side is worse but both sides have it.

From what I have read here on the forums, it sounds like this isn't all that uncommon and can be avoided when a roll cage stiffens the truck and frame.

post #100 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 10:03 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleigh View Post
So much for "stockish" eh?
Man this is a good competition, I can't remember one so close, normally there is one rig that takes off.
I am really having a good time with this, I actually went through my own thread last night, there was actually some things I had forgotten about!
I completely agree, I accepted my nomination early on and chose to run the 96. Based on the level of competition I would've brought the big dog! I love the old trucks and am having flashbacks (nightmares!) of my rusty 76 F-150 form NY.

Hats off to all you guys. I am having tons of fun and wouldn't want to be in a competition where I was the only one that showed up. Shoot I'm close enough to Vegas to drive the 96 out and buy Dave a beer.

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode