September 2015 F.O.T.M., VOTE HERE!!! - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Who will be your September 2015 F.O.T.M.?
ANGELO 24 35.82%
jowens1126 5 7.46%
Matco 7 10.45%
deathmobile2 12 17.91%
Ducklodge 19 28.36%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 03:50 AM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
you guys are going to have to work really hard to get me to vote for a last gen. over a 2nd gen.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:02 AM
September 15 FOTM

Bronco Info: 1992 F-250 custom, 7.3 idi, zf5, 4x4
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducklodge View Post
Ok, I just now uploaded this little video showing the end result of my mirrors. Hopefully this will work as intended.

I1eZfSUdQ2A

I've got a couple hundred photos of the build on these things somewhere on this computer. Unfortunately, I'm not real good at working this computer.

I have somthing on my mirrors to

1992 f250 turbo intercooled idi
1995 red xlt sport! with 351 ~ Sold
post #23 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Thread Killa

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
Hello fellow FSB lovers. Im Jim, and I love my 94 Bronco. I always loved broncos when I was younger but could never afford them. In fact, back in 98 I was shopping for a new car after I got married and found a brand new 96 on the lot left over that never sold. I came "" this close to buying it, but I just couldnt swing the $30,000 they still wanted for it. So I got a cheap explorer sport instead for $18k.

Well after working my way thru the explorer and a couple of dodge 1500's I finally got the chance to get what I always wanted. I had never bought a used vehicle before so the process of finding one was rather daunting to me. I found a decent used bronco cheap for $800 back in 2010 i bought as a toy, but after going thru it, it was just a total lost cause. I didnt know what I was looking at, and didnt know what I was buying. fortunately I was able to sell it for $700 to someone for parts. I only had it for 1 week, but it was enough to make me want a good one.

So a few years later after we moved back to Florida, I started looking again, but this time I was determined to educate myself on what to look for. So for 2 months I searched thru this site reading countless excellent write ups by the members. This really gave me the bug because this site is so good, there is an answer here for most any question you could possibly have. So I had decided that I wanted either a 94 or 95 with mass air. At the time I did not realize that only the 5.0's came with mass air (for the most part) so I looked and looked online. Went and test drove a few.

I didnt know if I wanted one lifted or stock till I came across one with a 8 inch suspension lift with 37" tires. I test drove it, and it had a horrible case of death wobble, and it was so high up in the air I had a really difficult time getting in and out of it. So that convinced me to start looking for the best stock, un-molested, un-rusted bronco I could find that wouldnt break my $4500 budget. I must have looked at 20 broncos before I found the one I liked best.

It was at a dealership in Melbourne, Florida. It had a 302 with mass air and about 195k miles on it. They wanted $5000 for it, so I jumped in the dodge and drove down and looked at it with the wife and gave it a look. Now just to let you know, I have never been very good at working on cars or knowing anything about what makes them run. Up until this time, all I ever did was put gas in em and drive em. I always let the mechanics take care of them, which almost always left me pissed off and poor.

So since finding this site, I was determined to learn about cars/trucks/engines and all the things that make them do what they are supposed to do. Afterall, I am a college graduate and 46 years old at the time, so it should be pretty easy to learn. Especially seeing the average IQ of the mechanics I have used over the years. So I jumped in feet first and bought it for $4000 cash. One thing I learned about this transaction, do not call the dealer and let them know you will be there in a couple of hours to see a specific vehicle. (lol) Everything worked fine on the test drive.

I took her out of the parking lot and straight to the gas station because it was on empty. I started filling her up and for some reason the pump stopped at 17 gallons. I looked at the gauge and it said full. So I stood there scratching my head and looked under the back end to see a small plastic gas tank. Well that was the first surprise of the day. No big deal, so i will have to fill up more often. So I took her out on the interstate to make the 60 mile trip home back to Orlando. It ran pretty good for a truck with almost 200k miles. The interior was clean, the seats were in good shape. The carpet was kinda nasty but that was to be expected. There was no rust, thats the most important thing, but the paint was faded and the clear coat peeling in places. The hood looked like someone tried to paint over peeling clear coat with some spray cans, and the tailgate was a different color than the rest of the truck. But I was willing to overlook all this cosmetic work because I knew eventually I would give her a new paint job.

Well 40 miles into the journey home it suddenly felt like it went into neutral. So I pulled over and noticed a bad burnt fluid smell coming from underneath. I could see it was red transmission fluid. Fortunately for me my wife was following me, so I had her take me to the auto parts store and I got 3 quarts of transmission fluid. I pulled the dip stick and it was dry, so I filled it back up and it started shifting again fine. I guess it was just low on fluid (I thought). So I made it back home without further issues.

Here she is on the first day I got it.

The interior was pretty nasty, had alot of trash in it and lots of stereo wires where someone had ripped out the stereo and just left a mess everywhere. So I got my son and my tools and started in to ripping out the interior so I could clean everything up.

I had more problems almost immediately. The back window barely worked. It would roll down but it wouldnt go all the way up without pushing it. So I consulted the almighty FSB.com and found countless threads on tailgate window repair which had my problem solved with one trip to the parts store.

One reason I got this was to try and get my son interested in SOMETHING! He was not very interested, but I did manage to get him to help me turn some wrenches.

After getting the interior all pulled out I managed to find where all the crappy stereo cables went and promptly pulled them out. The PO was not very talented at anything and was certainly not a stereo installer. The good news was, I found no rust under the carpet except a bit of surface rust.

Well thats it for now. I will be back later to post up the rest of the story.

1994 EB Bronco, 302 MAF, E4OD, BW1356, Slightly Customized Interior
"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

My Build Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191067

post #24 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Thread Killa

Angelo,,,,,,

Im jealous of those mirrors....

"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

post #25 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 351W, 2.5 R/C Lift,4.10's, Rancho Extended R/As, 33's, Punisher Valve Body
Jowens, use paragraphs ...I got dizzy reading your post

Nice truck though, this is going to be tough

No bum that can't speak poifect English oughta stay in this country...oughta be de-exported the hell outta here!"

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
A wild or half-tamed horse, esp. of the western US.
post #26 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
you guys are going to have to work really hard to get me to vote for a last gen. over a 2nd gen.
post #27 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Thread Killa

You know all us 92-96 guys have deep respect for you 78-79 guys.

post #28 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Thread Killa

I got some time now so back for round 2.

Now that I have my Bronco cleaned up, I started looking for problems. So far on the 1st day of ownership I found......

Transmission leaking
Rear window not working
Tailgate latch broken
Temperature Gauge not working
Fuel Gauge not reading properly
ABS Light on
Check Engine light on (after i replaced the bulb)

Airbag Light on
Horn doesnt work
Cruise control doesnt work
Random Alarm triggered when opening door
Rear window Defrost not working
Motor has a tick in it

So im thinking to myself, what the hell have I bought here. I wanted a project vehicle, and I definitely got one. I was almost afraid to talk to my wife about all the problems I had with it, but she is a good woman and was ok with me fixing it up. So I decided to keep it and fix it. I told her we would spend more money on it than its worth but I agreed to keep it as my primary vehicle for at least 10 years and she was fine with that. So I started chipping away at the problems. Every time I had an issue I found a solution on FSB.com. It just took a bit of digging and avoiding the site search function and going straight to google. Google gives you much better search results for FSB than the site search. you just have to know what key words to use.

So The tailgate was an easy fix thanks to Steve83's Tailgate Tech section. I found myself going thru all of his supermotors stuff alot. I also wouldnt have been able to do what i did without the help of our beloved Mr. Al (Miesk5). Hope you feel better soon old man.

Day 2 was not a good one for me, I went out to see a giant puddle of transmission fluid in the driveway. I crawled under there and looked for the leak and I found it right away. The PO had used RTV to try and seal up the pan seal. It was a very piss poor repair and did nothing to stop the leak. So off to the transmission shop it went. $250 later no more leaks. The pan was bent out of shape and the mechanic worked it back to flat with a hammer, put in a new filter, and pan gasket and a gallon or two of fluid.

At least it would hold fluid now, but there were still issues, sometimes it would randomly feel like it went into neutral just like when I was on the way home with it. So reading around on the FSB site I found this is a symptom of a bad MLPS. So I ordered one from Rock Auto, my go to parts store, and with the help of some great guys on the site, I put it in myself. My first major auto repair, well major to me.

Rock auto MLPS kit.

The old one was pretty nasty.

Dissecting the wires

Job Done

Drove it around and it seemed to fix all my shifting problems.

post #29 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:43 PM
September 15 FOTM

Garage
next thing i did was headlights, front recovery points, tail lights and a cb radio

my ashtray was broken when we got the truck, so it was the perfect spot for the radio

first week driving to school.

first time with the topper off

i know how much you guys like snow pictures!! but i have something better!

these were in February and was kinda cold. sailing regatta in clearwater fl.

painted inside of the grill

then craigslist brush guard and fog lights

pfun41 got stuck, i pulled him out. then i got stuck in the same hole and he had to pull me out

those mirrors arnt factory blinkers, i got the arrows on ebay.

post #30 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 02:10 AM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Bronco Info: '95 302 XLT
Well, I am back and am gonna push for some Votes and more pictures and Videos...

great start so far to all

Thanks,
Allcruisen

Vote for FOTM !!!

VOTE for TOP 4X4 SITE

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #31 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:13 AM

Bronco Info: 1992 Bronc EB 5.8
Loving the trucks so far, I'm thinking I'm going to have to figure out something for signal Mirrors. I like them!

Keep it up guys.
post #32 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 01:43 PM
Thread Killa

Once my weather stripping came in I dove in to the door panels to try and get them to stop leaking water. First thing I noticed was, almost every part that holds the weather stripping in place was broken. Damn, so How am I going to fix that. Well, sometimes you just have to take a hack saw to it.......

And cut notches into the blade.....

and glue it into place....

amazingly enough this fix has lasted over 4 years now without breaking.

Then I replaced the heater core, which was amazingly simple....

and completely flushed out all the sand and corrosion in the radiator and cooling system.

Then I rebuilt the entire A/C System. I replaced every component.

It was actually a pretty simple repair. I got one of those compressor powered vacuum pumps from Harbor Freight to pull a vacuum. It lasted just long enough to do a good 60 min vacuum, then it broke. but I got my use out of it. A/C worked great after that repair.

Then I replaced my over head console computer with one from an explorer. Worked like a charm!

Next up was the clock spring. I had to get the horn working and get rid of the AIrbag light.

Another pretty simple repair.

After that I finally had it running good enough to take her for a bit of fun in the woods.

I started having some noise from the water pump so I dove in and did that nightmare of a repair. It was a pain in the ass, but I did it, without breaking any bolts too. amazing. No leaks first try.

Then it was time for some dash repair. I had cracks and rattles, and the pass side was broke where it attached to the body. I actually managed to pull just the skin, damn I will never do that again.....

replaced the foam around the ductwork.

repaired some cracks with light plywood and epoxy, which didnt hold.

replaced my broken vacuum switch

Once all that was back in place, I had a horrible discovery.

Its leaking transmission fluid again, this time out of the front pump seal. Not a good thing at all. So I started looking around and found a used transmission.
it was nasty, so I sealed it all up with gorilla tape and made a rotisserie for it, and a drain pan so I could swap the solenoid valve and clean it all up.

After a few hours with the soda blaster, and after making an ungodly mess, it came out pretty nice.

Then I gave it a nice coat of high temp silver engine paint.

Then took it to my transmission shop and had them put it in, along with a new radiator and trans cooler.

More to come.....

post #33 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 351W, 2.5 R/C Lift,4.10's, Rancho Extended R/As, 33's, Punisher Valve Body
Jowens....Where did you get your A/C parts? Need to replace everything on mine and am looking for a good source

No bum that can't speak poifect English oughta stay in this country...oughta be de-exported the hell outta here!"

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
post #34 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 04:02 PM
September 15 FOTM

Garage
towing the boat

in lazy springs ft myers i broke a ball joint and someone had to drive a hour and a half to get a replacement one. we fixed it right next to the mud hole it broke in.

waiting for the new ball joint in this picture

i got stuck in the sand right after i got the ball joint fixed. another bronco saw that and came to help

then i had to pull my dad out

my hood, roof, bumpers, and grill were faded really bad and the clear coat was chipping, so i repainted them. the talegate had a huge dent behind the tire from a tractor bucket. they were pushing it on a trailer and the bucket slipped off the ball and got the tale gate. i got a perfect one at the junyard for like 40$ just had to paint it.

bringing home the tale gate and flairs that came off a nice 95 white xlt sport it was hit on the driver door hard.

a police officer got stuck near my house so i pulled him out without bumpers hood or a grill

almost up to more current pictures

post #35 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScatt View Post
Jowens....Where did you get your A/C parts? Need to replace everything on mine and am looking for a good source
I got the evaporator and condenser (spectra premium), and both hoses from rock auto. Then I got a kit from ebay that came with the compressor, dryer, oil, orifice tube, and O-Rings.

This is the kit I got.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-AC-...bad17c&vxp=mtr

All the hoses were motorcraft. I got a killer deal on the main A/C Hose. it was $250 on fordparts.com, but I got it on closeout on Rockauto for $49.00.

post #36 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1126 View Post
I got the evaporator and condenser (spectra premium), and both hoses from rock auto. Then I got a kit from ebay that came with the compressor, dryer, oil, orifice tube, and O-Rings.

This is the kit I got.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-AC-...bad17c&vxp=mtr

All the hoses were motorcraft. I got a killer deal on the main A/C Hose. it was $250 on fordparts.com, but I got it on closeout on Rockauto for $49.00.

Cool! Thanks! Yeah, hard to beat RA's closeouts!

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
post #37 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:56 PM
Too poor for FSM

Bronco Info: '89XLT 351w w/C6. 6.5" lift SAS's 44. K&N, 3" Exhaust. 2002 f350 7.3 with some goods
Great start guys!

Vance
Sig pic too big, too lazy to change.
post #38 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 11:37 PM

Bronco Info: 96 5.8 4x4 2 inch lift springs up front, 33 inch Toyo Open Country MT
Sorry I was late to the party gentlemen... now lets get this started!

Day 1 when I bought it at the age of 16

Paid $2300 for it 1996 XL 5.8 with 202,000 miles, a little back story I am the 3rd owner first it spent its life as a Arizona State Vehicle it was in service for the majority of its life till it was sold to a neighbor at our river house he had it for 2 years then another local bought it and had it for about 6 months before I bought it.

Test drive

Loading it up to take it home

Finally home and all washed up

Next pics are of the first mods...

White 1996 Bronco 5.8 4X4 2inch lift springs up front, sitting on 33x12.5x15 Toyo Open Country M/T's with 15x10 Method Double Standards
120 inches of LED light bar good for 100,000 lumens!!
post #39 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 05:11 AM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Bronco Info: '95 302 XLT
Would like to see more action pictures and Videos, Please ...

Thanks,
Allcruisen

Vote for FOTM !!!

VOTE for TOP 4X4 SITE

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #40 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 06:31 AM
September 15 FOTM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcruisen View Post
Would like to see more action pictures and Videos, Please ...

Thanks,
Allcruisen
https://youtu.be/0Q9tTX8MJEU

Bronco meet in ocala. I have some videos but I have to edit them

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode