After 3 years of working on the bronco, It was finally time to do the big fix. My engine had been acting up lately, and the 2nd transmission was making noises like someone poured a bag of ball bearings inside it. So I set out to finally figure out what the hell is causing the transmission problems and all the random codes. I searched the wiring until I knew every wire on the truck, but found no issues. So I talked to my mechanic and he mentioned something about the EEC, and it made a connection in my head, so I went home and pulled the EEC, and sure enough it was all burnt up.
I looked at my back up EEC and it was also burnt up. SO i went to ebay, and found one for a decent price. This eliminated every single code, but the transmission still sounded like hell, and was starting to have some shifting issues. I decided it was time to replace it. So I ordered a heavy duty model from Monster Transmission, with the converter and a cooler. It was pure torture waiting on them to get it built. They gave me a 4 week lead time, but It actually took 7 weeks.
It was very well packaged and arrived in great condition.
I decided that I would pull the engine and clean it up and re-seal it and put it back in with the new tranny. So I had my mechanic pull the engine and transmission and send it all back to me at the house.
This was the thing I have wanted to do the longest. Pull that engine and clean everything up under the hood. I got my blaster ready and started pulling the motor apart. I decided to blast and paint everything that looked crappy, which was pretty much everything.
And this would give me the opportunity to clean up the engine bay as well and get all that caked on oil and dirt off of everything.
The engine was pretty nasty, covered in oil and dirt like any other 200k+ mile engine.
Theres an oil pressure sender in there somewhere......
It was all just so nasty gross. I was determined though.
I found an excellent degreaser that worked like nothing I ever tried before. This stuff is magic!
Once I got it stripped down and pulled the intake I got the shock I was dreading.
SLUDGE! and lots of it. I was going to have a big issue here with this. I decided that it would be better to just trade this one in on a new long block, that way all this work would not be for nothing. So out with the old, in with the new.
No more sludge to deal with!
And with the new long block, I can make everything look nice and not have to worry about wasting money pulling it out again anytime soon.
One thing I didnt realize, is how many parts and pieces and bolts and nuts and little things there are that hold all this stuff together. And every single one of them had to be blasted and painted. That was the hardest part of the whole project. Very tedious work. I set up a little jig for bolt head painting.
Blasted and painted all the brackets and little pieces...
Then I broke out the POR15 and painted the frame under the hood.
Did final assembly on the engine, and ran new silicon vacuum lines.
Then loaded it all up on the tow truck and had the mechanic put it all back in.
After some exhaust work and some other minor adjustments everything is working fantastic! I would say I got maybe a 10% power boost compared to the way it was running before, but the biggest thing was fuel mileage. It went from 8mpg before to 15mpg now! That makes it worthwhile right there by it self.
To finish things off I upgraded my battery cables to #1 AWG. Both the ground and the power wires. I also found some short circuiting in the HEGO wires and fixed that as well.
Now for the first time since I had the truck It felt like I had a real functional bronco!
Thats it for now, more to come.