May 2016 F.O.T.M., VOTE HERE!!! - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Who will be your May 2016 F.O.T.M.?
itwasFREE!!!! 26 41.27%
Broncojoe96 12 19.05%
new78bronco 7 11.11%
ntahmisyan 18 28.57%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

253Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Beach bumming it ........

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
May 2016 F.O.T.M., VOTE HERE!!!

Here we go folks... your nominees for May 2016 FULLSIZE OF THE MONTH!

1) itwasFREE!!!!

2) Broncojoe96

3) new78bronco

4) ntahmisyan

Show us what you've got.

Let the games begin!!!

Last edited by Saltlife; 05-01-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 07:14 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 5.0L Automatic Bronco XLT
First off Iíd like to thank @BigBlue94 for the nomination, and now on to the festivities.

I decided to start Iíd give a little overview of everything. Iíve had my Bronco for just under 3 years, and sheís come a long way. When we picked her up she had a few issues to say the least, and I had no experience working on a vehicle, but knew after checking it out I wanted it for my first car and that itíd be a fun project with my dad.

Didnít look too bad when we got it

After the fender flares came off and a quick power washing it didnít look too purdy, but it was still pretty cool on the 42s that came with it.

At this point we were really digging into the can of worms, which turned into months spent in the garage fixing it allÖ But more on that later.

Hereís how she emerged from the garage just under a year after we bought her following a lot of work. Just in time for me to start driving as a licensed driver towards the end of my sophomore year.

Since then the rigs been my daily driver, and has not once has left me stranded. (Knock on wood) From offroad, on-road, or highway the truck will go anywhere I want to take it and handle it well. Hereís how it sits today.

Later on Iíll go into some more indepth details on the original build, and some plans for this summer.

Built not Bought
post #3 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 02:59 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT, 400
First a thank you to the FSB members who asked me to run in FOTM. The fact that some other Bronco fans dig my Bronco is pretty sweet. So a big grazie to you!

Backstory: I always wanted a truck I could take off the pavement by myself, with my mates, and with my family. I really thought I was going the way of an International Scout 1978 model year for the longest time. I mean a few _years_ long time as I read, researched, saved, and mostly dreamed. :) But I have always liked the looks of the 78-79 Ford Broncos, and ultimately I decided that I wanted a Bronco over a Scout for a few reasons. Some mechanical, some cosmetic, some practicality.

So the search for a 78-79 Bronco began. And after 3 years, yes YEARS, I finally found one I thought might be the one. I consulted with a mate of mine who had plenty more hands on mechanical experience than I and he liked what he saw as well. So off we went pulling out in the wee hour of around 4 AM and arriving a few states away 7.5 hours later. The coolest besides him going with me was that as soon as I saw the Bronco sitting on the lot as we drove down the street I thought it looked just as bad-A as it did in the Internet pics.

After the usual look over, test drive, and negotiations this Bronco was mine. I drove it with my mate behind in chase car that now 8.5 hour drive back as obviously it didn't move like our car did and I didn't want to push it on the maiden voyage. No smoke, no issues, just 10MPG and a few petrol stops. That maiden voyage was funny as sh** to me because I felt like I was back behind the old 40 foot university buses I drove while I attending school - sloppy steering constant back and forth movement that didn't translate into much movement on the pavement. LOL

Here are a couple of snaps from that first day and maiden voyage.

On the lot after I bought it ready to embark on the maiden voyage.

Cruising across a body of water at sunset that first drive home from the lot I snapped this pic.

And now here we are today after the "tune up" :)

RED- 1978 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT, 400, NP205

post #4 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 03:59 PM
FSM Lifetime

@new78bronco Very nice clean truck. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it throughout the month.
new78bronco likes this.

Built not Bought
post #5 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 04:02 PM
F.O.T.Y. 2016

Bronco Info: 92 302 E4od 35s stak3spd monsterbox 4:88 ectedmaxf/r rcv axles hydro-assist steering sas vair
Garage
Hello my Name is Erick,

I gotta give huge shout out to Quadr1 for having the faith in my rig to think it is worthy enough to compete in this Competition, Thanks my friend!!!

My first Bronco was an 87 Eddie Bauer, I bought it with inheritance money from my grandparents, I first did a 4" rancho lift then I felt

bigger was better so I changed the coil springs and lowered the beams on the brackets and made it a 6" lift, thought and felt like I had the worlds toughest truck, lol,

little did I know........ well after 8 years and 180000 miles I was losing oil pressure so then came the 60 weight oil changes you know

where it goes from here, as a newly wed, & no money to fix it, I needed a dependable vehicle, so I sold it and bought a f150.

That was the end of my bronco days, but I never forgot the fun I had in it and knew I wanted another one. Then we moved and I started a new job

and low n behold there was a 92 Bronco as a company vehicle. I Didnít think too much about it at first, it was the owner of the company's

truck but he made it a company vehicle & then the sales manager vehicle and thus goes the story.

Well after 4 sales managers and many years later its now 2005, the word going around was, they were going to sell it, I had always made it known that

I was interested in it. It was a bone stock XLT, and like I said earlier it had been a company vehicle its entire existence,

it was driven hard,(as most company vehicles are) but when something went wrong it was taken to the dealership and fixed with oem parts.

With 167k it still had some issues like someone burning up the transfer case, & an unknown wreck that was cleverly disguised, etc.. But I still wanted it.

When the day came and I made my offer, ďMy BossĒ (owner of company) reply was no, ITSFREE, & he handed me the all the original paperwork, title & Keys.

Sadly I donít have any pictures of it when I first got it, but shortly there after I found & joined FSB & when it came to creating a user name,

what better name than ''itwasFREE!!!!" The ironic thing about the "name' some think I got the truck the way it sits now FOR FREE!!!! I promise you,

like each one of you, I have put a lot of "CĒ notes in this truck over the years.

I never did do a build thread I wasnít really interested in any of that, (i wish i did now) but all I wanted to do was build a reliable "over the road wheeler",

that was a cross between a excursion vehicle & a crawler. What I didnít want, was monster tires, high horsepower, or a Pristine Thoroughbred.

I didn't want a designated trail rig either to beat up, to slam into things and turn into a money pit, I'm a blue collar worker I'm not made of money but I wanted the best

without spending my 401K. But I wanted gearing, steering, & a transfer case. Something like a cross between a Percheron and a Warlander styled horse, muscled,

but flexible, dramatic but subtle, a work horse but with the agility to crawl through a mine field of obstacles.

So I lurked around in the shadows of the forums noted what worked for people, listed what i liked and after about 10 yrs and many failed trials my creation was born,

I had built a Bronco styled from many different rigs on this site. After that I started exploring the rest of the FSB site found the FOTM forum and here I am Today.

Is there more that I could do to it? Yes...Would I sell it Tomorrow? Ask me tomorrow. Until then, I have more Road trips planned, & more technical trails to run,

along with more videos to publish.

But before you go voting for a rig 2 weeks into the competition, just keep your fingers off the keys, you only get 1 vote, and you cant take it back. So stay tuned

to what your going to see, I have 6 Adventures to take you on, I promise you I have a varity of videos, picture slide videos, and pictures in general to keep you glued to the screen.

OK, So jump into my passenger seat and experience some of my adventures through the videos and pictures that I will be posting, hopefully through this

trail ride, you will be inspired to vote for a rig that is made to travel on the highways coast to coast and still be able hit the trails regardless of what

they throw at me and then drive it home! I didnít spend a dime to dress up the motor, or make my truck pretty, in fact its all quite gritty!

My motto is no mercy to the paint or body, so if you respect what you see, PLEASE VOTE FOR itwasFREE!!!!
B-man and BroncoJoe96 like this.

At times it's best to keep one's mouth shut & be thought a fool, than to open it & remove all doubt! Abraham Lincoln

Thank you for Making me FOTY 2016

post #6 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 04:09 PM
F.O.T.Y. 2016

Bronco Info: 92 302 E4od 35s stak3spd monsterbox 4:88 ectedmaxf/r rcv axles hydro-assist steering sas vair
Garage
this is one of the first mods i did i thought the half doors were really cool and would be

very functional

Here was the next mod i did simply because it was fast, simple and also functional with no cost to me.

here is one of my first videos still sporting the TTB, please forgive the quality of the video as the camera was old

ozAjvrj9Vz0

floating the TTB suspension in Tucson's Reddington Pass at three feathers

still at Three feathers

landing the horse

still at three feathers running the crevice this you pretty much place your sidewall on the wall and keep it pressed there

this is another spot along the same trail & is a sure place to float a tire

a little door damage from sliding off the wall on the crevice while going up it.
funny thing about the dent i ldrove with it like that for 5 or 6 yrs until one day i had to replace
the window motor and i reached in with my hand hit the dent and it popped out clean as whistle. crazy

B-man, TJSmoot and Quader1 like this.

At times it's best to keep one's mouth shut & be thought a fool, than to open it & remove all doubt! Abraham Lincoln

post #7 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 09:08 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Man this is tough, 78 is my fav Bronco style and color. But all the other guys have awesome mods and sweet looking paint also Hmmm can I vote more than once? We do that for elections here in Illinois.
B-man, Ghosteh and WeedWhackerDood like this.
post #8 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 09:53 PM
F.O.T.Y. 2016

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 445 FE Bronco View Post
Man this is tough, 78 is my fav Bronco style and color. But all the other guys have awesome mods and sweet looking paint also Hmmm can I vote more than once? We do that for elections here in Illinois.
I think Az & Ill. are following suit in a round about way as we have undocumented people voting as well as people trying to vote in the wrong primaries.
B-man likes this.

post #9 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 11:00 PM
FSM Lifetime

I was 15 when we went to go look at the Bronco. One rainy weekend our family was on our boat in CT and it was too stormy to be out on the water, so my dad had the idea of going to looking at the truck. For the weeks leading up to that point I had been sending him various ads of Broncos on Craigslist, and this one turned out to be near our boat, so on our way we went.

When we got there the truck looked good like the pictures above showed and it had some nice upgrades:
Warn Bumper
Fender Flares
A set of 35s (That turned out to be dry rotted)
42s that werenít in good shape
6 inch SkyJacker lift
3 inch body lift
New black carpet
And cool racing seats

However everything positive had issues that went along with it and then some. We knew there was some rust, an exhaust leak, no keys except the ignition key, rips in the seats, mismatched interior, broken mirrors, the rear window didn't work, a check engine light, the trans was blown and would only shift out of first at 4500 RPMs, a front axle shaft was snapped, etc. After seeing all this there was no other option, the truck had to be mine so a week later we were headed back with a trailer and two stock sized tires to pick her up.

What we didnít know turned out to be the real issue. First off was the extent of the rust issues. The bad shackles, spring towers, radius arms, brake lines, body rust issues, and most surprising, body mounts that were able to be pulled out of the frame. Then came the other surprises like the cracked frame, tired suspension and steering, mismatched differential gears, and a few other odds and ends but that's all stories for later this month.

Once the truck was home the real work beganÖ

And by real work I mean stuffing on the 42s and sitting shotgun while my dad chased woodchucks around our property with the engine screaming for about 7 minutes until we finished off all forward gears in the transmission, which left us limping back to our driveway in reverse while the varmints got away. Then off came the 42s and the strip down began. At this point the 42s were sold so I could buy a transmission rebuild kit and the real wrench turning began.
BikerPepe` and B-man like this.

Built not Bought
post #10 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 07:51 AM

Bronco Info: 88 eddie bauer, 5.8, 351w, 35" tires, k&n cai, full custom 3" exhaust, 4" SAS
Garage
A lot more reading in this months competition than I'm used to But it looks like it's going to be a good one! Being an AZ man myself I'm already leaning towards @itwasFREE!!!! but who knows what could happen.

P.S. my vote can be bought with more videos.
post #11 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 08:26 AM
F.O.T.Y. 2016

Garage
Good Morning World,

Are we ready for another adventure, well climb into the passenger seat and ill take you on another ride

up the mountain to play in the snow but we first got to do some playing on the wall.

(again the video is a little grainy, and short but youll get the idea)

AY3aQXKZQK0

This is some pictures of the trail we took. to 7000'

this a video of part of that trail i know it grainy i promise theyll get alot better

c37ZnoXZE7Q

Well i dont know about you but ive had enough of the cold for now Ill have more Mountain Snow wheeling where if you go off the edge theres no recovery.

so here is a picture some of you know all to well the last day of the TTB.

ok so like i said in my story i didnt take the time to do a build thread, i never thought id need or want one

definetly never really knew anything about FOTM, so here are some pictures of the finished upgrades.

we all know what a 3g alt. looks like out of a 93 Tbird

heres a few shots of the first 200amp fuse, the the blown fuse block, then the New upgraded kicker fuse block

2_KtKNPRWzg

OPPS WHERE DID THAT COME FROM??? just a sneak peak into the future for whats coming in the next few weeks.
B-man, TJSmoot and Quader1 like this.

post #12 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 01:38 PM
FSM Lifetime

I thought I'd take a break from the build and that I'd post up a video of my own. This is from the first summer I drove the truck. Tonight I'll get back to the build.

zKYQERiGBXM
B-man likes this.

Built not Bought
post #13 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 03:06 PM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Bronco Info: '95 302 XLT
Great start everyone, lets have a kick butt Month

Allcruisen

Vote for FOTM !!!

VOTE for TOP 4X4 SITE

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #14 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 04:44 PM

Bronco Info: Jeep. Ya I know.... Jeep
It won't let me vote. If this is because I drive a jeep you guys are racist. If there is a reason I didn't just make up I would like to know please.
post #15 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 05:20 PM
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfofDarkstar View Post
It won't let me vote. If this is because I drive a jeep you guys are racist. If there is a reason I didn't just make up I would like to know please.

I believe you have to be a member for an entire month before you can vote.
WolfofDarkstar likes this.

Built not Bought
post #16 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 05:25 PM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
You have to be a member here for over 30 days before you can vote in the FOTM contest.
We had to make this adjustment to keep competing members from skewing our contest by having people sign up to FSB, just to vote for their friend/family member in FOTM and then never be seen or heard from again. Our apologies for the inconvenience, but it is what it is.

For what it's worth... you joined on 4-11-16, so you should be able to vote before this months contest is over. We encourage you to sit back and enjoy the competition and vote after you've seen what everyone is bringing to the table here.

Great start guys!
BigBlue 94 likes this.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #17 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 06:07 PM

Bronco Info: Jeep. Ya I know.... Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
You have to be a member here for over 30 days before you can vote in the FOTM contest.
We had to make this adjustment to keep competing members from skewing our contest by having people sign up to FSB, just to vote for their friend/family member in FOTM and then never be seen or heard from again. Our apologies for the inconvenience, but it is what it is.

For what it's worth... you joined on 4-11-16, so you should be able to vote before this months contest is over. We encourage you to sit back and enjoy the competition and vote after you've seen what everyone is bringing to the table here.

Great start guys!
Alright glad to hear it. I didn't see that in the official rules thread so I couldn't figure it out. I can see how that would be an issue. So far you have answered every question I have had on here. Its like you know how everything on the forum works. I really appreciate it. Also thank you BroncoJoe96
BikerPepe` and BroncoJoe96 like this.

The Jeep forums don't have the community this one does. Plus everyone I 4x4 with drive Broncos.....
post #18 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 08:05 PM
F.O.T.Y. 2016

Garage
Good Evening everyone,

Well its time to work in the garage again, so step inside and lets look at some of those finished upgrades.

What did I hear someone chant video video video. Ok if you insist. heres another short grainy one.

6BK4aCfAm-U

Ok back to the garage, there will more time to play with full length videos later...

here are some pictures of the 5150 Bilstein shocks and bottom mnts that would eventually trash 2 frt tires

because they were so soft and bouncy they are meant to be a quad set up, wish i would of known that 4 yrs ago.

in this photo youll see the 6" Deaver Coils also.

i had removed the side mnts on the James Duff Extended Radius arms for the fear of the tire rubbing, i would later regret this, reinstall them

then witness the tire rubbing but it turns out not be a issue as i had expected. You'll see the reinstall picture later on.

How about some carnige, here is my first Chrome Molly axle shafts. Not so strong when your running a massive transfer case.

no its not laser cut look at the twisting in it.

this is the passenger side it didnt break but it twisted.

I hear you himin and haulin boring boring, so heres another short grainy one that ends abruptly, but its hard to spot and film at the same time when its just 2 of you.

2x0TWDWL-VI

Here are some shots after the sas was installed.

So keep in mind i didnt have the shocks installed yet Which were Rancho 9000 and the coils you see are just Super lift 6" coils.

Ok here is a a great comparsion between Super Lift 6" coils and Deaver 6" Coils Pay attention and save some money!!!

First few shots Super Lift Coils, and Rancho 9000 shocks.

Now Same rock But with Deaver Coils and 5150 Bilstein shocks

Learn anything? well I think that was enough work, how about something to chew on before bed.. a look into the future, whats to come. Enjoy the slide show.

_CKEUB_9-Bk

Tomorrow will provide more action shot pictures, Good night FSB see you in the morning.
BikerPepe`, B-man, JGR and 1 others like this.

Last edited by itwasFREE!!!!; 05-21-2016 at 05:59 PM. Reason: you tube deleted it
post #19 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Whew wee......., That's what I call fast out the gate iwf!
Quader1 likes this.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #20 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 09:52 PM
FSM Lifetime

Looking good @itwasFREE. You're making me get excited for my SAS. I'm hoping to get cracking on it this weekend. Now back to my build.

It was finally time to get started on a big project. My dad and I decided that if we fixed the transmission, than we’d have a drivable rig and that would be a step in the right direction, so we set to work.

First off was to pull the driveshafts and transfer case. Then we had to figure out how we were going to drop the trans.

This cradle was our answer…

And she worked like a charm. Next up was the puzzle on how to hold the transmission. For the rebuild I bought a rebuild kit, shift kit, and manual that came with a DVD. In the manual they had the transmission on an engine stand with the ability to turn it horizontally or vertically, so we duplicated the bracket they had.

What we did was make a U out of some beefy scrap steel we had laying around, and used 3 bolts to anchor the transmission in place. Up next we just followed the book and stripped the transmission down to the bare case, and then built it back up again.

Added a drain plug

Then we were at the point with the trans ready to go back in. We even did some “patching” on the body.

Before we reinstalled the trans I went and sanded down the frame and POR 15ed it. Then it was time for a test ride.

And….

She worked!!!

This is one of my favorite pictures of my truck and it was also my first time driving the Bronco and even around the yard I had a blast. It really showed what we were capable of with a little hard work. Up next was rust repair.

But lastly I'll leave you a picture or two of one of my favorite mods, my rear bumper. It was all built from scrap steel that originally was used for an industrial storage rack, and we made sure to incorporate everything we could think of. Recovery points, spare tire carrier, corner protection, and of course a BBQ mount and serving table (which doubles as a step with the swing gate closed).

B-man, BigBlue 94, TJSmoot and 2 others like this.

Built not Bought

Last edited by BroncoJoe96; 05-02-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode