sitting crooked - Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By redbeast9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 96 EB 351 blown, Edelbrock intake,MSD,Ford motorsports headers,pro-M, SAS Suspension 35's,e-lockers
sitting crooked

how many of you guys out there have found that your trucks sit about an inch lower from one side to the other? this problem seems to be a bit worse with the sas. i read here somewhere the shadowfax made mention of this, but couldn't find the thread.
i just want to know if anyone has found the reason or a solution other than adding a spacer to the coil.
whats wierd is that i measured from the frame to the axle tube on both sides, and the measurement is the same, however the truck still sits 1 inch from level.

Originally Posted by DomesticDisturbance
i have 6"s and have no problem with my shaft
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/16733
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:10 PM

Bronco Info: '86bronco351w,c6rev.man.shift, np208,sasd44detroit, 9indetroit,4.88's,38tsl, 10infab/skyjacker
i have the same problem i thought it was the trac bar is out of line. ive left mine because the axle and springs are the same spacing off the frame. but it would be nice to know the true reson. mine is 3/4in to 1in lower on the pass. side. is that the same as yours?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:59 PM

Bronco Info: 1986 XLT 302 90,000 original miles
Hey, mine does too (passenger side sits lower). I thought I had a shock out or something. Haven't gotten around to measuring though. oh, and mine is stock.

1986 FSB
1965 F100
2012 Fusion

Ever "done it" in the back of a Bronco?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:07 PM

Bronco Info: 80 BRONCO 400 NP435 NP205 Detroits , SAS, 5'' lift on 36'' TSL's
I would suggest adding shims to the body mounts to correct the ride height since the supension is even. Just a thought.

Both my 80 and 81 Broncos front left sits about 3/4" low.
huck2080 likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 96 EB 351 blown, Edelbrock intake,MSD,Ford motorsports headers,pro-M, SAS Suspension 35's,e-lockers
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey View Post
i have the same problem i thought it was the trac bar is out of line. ive left mine because the axle and springs are the same spacing off the frame. but it would be nice to know the true reson. mine is 3/4in to 1in lower on the pass. side. is that the same as yours?
Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover07 View Post
Hey, mine does too (passenger side sits lower). I thought I had a shock out or something. Haven't gotten around to measuring though. oh, and mine is stock.
yeah mine is 1 inch low on the passanger side. i can't seem to figure out why.
i don't think it has anything to do with the trac bar bc mine wasn't even hooked up, the springs are spaced even, i dunno whats up with it.
i sure wish someone could figure this out.
i went to wild horses.com and they suggest that it is the c bushings seating differently from side to side. they say to un bolt the ra's and basically disassemble the front suspension, then see if, when you lower the ra's, they both hit the level ground at the same time. mine do but it still is out of level.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:01 PM

Bronco Info: 86, 5.0, AOD, D44 SAS, 9"
My Bronco has always been about 3/4" lower on the passenger side, both with lifted TTB and leaf SAS. Hmmm...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
My Bronco has always been about 3/4" lower on the passenger side, both with lifted TTB and leaf SAS. Hmmm...
yea, about what my situation has always been...TTB was always about 5/16ths short on passenger, and now it's about 5/8ths. Actually fine with me since I am almost always in the truck solo...add my 190lbs in the drivers seat and I'm down the road pretty darn level.

There was a post on side to side uneveness not long ago, and good ol steve83 actually had a ford page or two and what is considered ok irregularity, how/what to test as far as the culprit, and possible fixes. But, those pages as I recall said roughly up to 3/4" (I think) was considered normal.

I never could nail down what the issue was....coils were exact same length unsprung, and once installed sat compressed the same amount. We were very careful with my coil tower mounting, I read as well about the EB bronco suggestion of making sure the RA's were sitting level, which mine were once the C's were installed, so I dunno. It definitely has nothing to do with the trackbar.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Crusher Mike

Bronco Info: 1991 Eddie Bauer 5.8. Flowmaster exuast, SAS 35 mickeys 7" lift, 4.88s locked, Viar OBA
When I sit in mine it levels out I also put my tool box on the driver side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYXD40 View Post
okay so scrap the 1 ton and throw in a D60?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 02:32 AM

Bronco Info: 91 bronco Rain cloud of broken stuff edition
measure it... if axle to bottom of frame is same on both sides... then its the body mounts

mine sits low on pass side... but thats b/c i measured wrong and mounted 1 coil bucket higher than the other

Quote:
I want to convert my 4wd Superduty to 2wd. I can take apart a flashlight in under a minute. So im sure i can handle this
check out the broncos full rebuild
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
There was a post on side to side uneveness not long ago, and good ol steve83 actually had a ford page or two and what is considered ok irregularity, how/what to test as far as the culprit, and possible fixes. But, those pages as I recall said roughly up to 3/4" (I think) was considered normal.

if anyone can find this thread with a link to the ford tech articles please post it here. i could not locate it. thanks
i am going to figure this out if it takes forever

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Broncoless, but I got a 1987 F250 to make up for it
Hmm, mine sat level with both coils and leaves...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:21 PM

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco XLT w/ I6, 5spd, 4" D44 SAS 4.09 and 10.25 4.10 ARBs
I remember that post but I couldn't find it in 10 secs either. From what I've read, a big thing that post SAS drivers don't always grasp is your new sway bar is going to push if it's not the right length. Either pushing the axle to one side of pull it to the other. Removing it and letting the truck just settling on the springs should tell you if this is your issue.

Bad96, for you. If you measured your axle to the frame, then what does that leave you with? When did you replace your body's bushing last? I know mine are shot, what do yours look like? Also, are your springs in the stock location on the axle or did you make shims or new months that could affect the ride height?

Lifted '89 Ford Bronco w/ 5spd & doubler - Representing Ford's I6 Stump Pullers!
UC4x4.com * http://www.supermotors.net/9090 * Follow my SAS buildup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxviii View Post
The goal here is to fix the problem, not treat the symptoms.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 01:03 PM

you dont need the old thread... measure axle tube to bottom of the frame... if theyre uneven then you measured wrong... check the coil length and tower location

if the axle to frame # is the same then you need a body mount shim

dc

Quote:
I want to convert my 4wd Superduty to 2wd. I can take apart a flashlight in under a minute. So im sure i can handle this
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexmix View Post
I remember that post but I couldn't find it in 10 secs either. From what I've read, a big thing that post SAS drivers don't always grasp is your new sway bar is going to push if it's not the right length. Either pushing the axle to one side of pull it to the other. Removing it and letting the truck just settling on the springs should tell you if this is your issue.

Bad96, for you. If you measured your axle to the frame, then what does that leave you with? When did you replace your body's bushing last? I know mine are shot, what do yours look like? Also, are your springs in the stock location on the axle or did you make shims or new months that could affect the ride height?

it was measured with the trac bar disconnected.
i am sure the bushings need replace but it can't be 1 inch out from side to side just from body mounts. also the bumper gaps would be horrible in the front.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 11:00 PM
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
Something is amiss then. the tracbar shouldnt be pulling one side lower than the other, all it would do it pull the body to one side so one tire sticks out further than the other, unless the length is really off. Start measuring fr om axle to frame, and frame to cab. Take measurements front & rear, a bent leaf spring could cause this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larston View Post
Hmm, mine sat level with both coils and leaves...
Mine sits level as well
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 11:37 PM

yea but your heads are crooked... making your hacked uneven trucks "look" level

Quote:
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
As RepT mentions, the whole body side could be off, and the reason could be from the front and/or rear....

bad96 you would just have to PM steve for his tech page, as that old thread is not easy to find (I tried for about 30mins the other day), problem is Steve posted the tech page in response to some issue not exactly directly related to "sitting crooked" or side to side height. I also could not find it on his supermotors site. Basically though the tech stuff is mentioning the same thing....coils, leaves, body mounts. And that is is not considered a problem if the side to side measurements are *I think* no more than 3/4" difference.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 12:37 AM

I known this is an old thread but I ran into another possible cause for this issue. My right front corner is a 3/4 inch lower than the left after new shocks and a major front end clean and paint. I have been searching and racking my brain to find the solution and I cam across a ford ranger post on using f150 spring perch as a leveling kit on there trucks. They noted that the left perch is 3/8 taller than the right. That was when the bulb went on. I had the perches out to clean and put them in backwards exaggerating a most likely existing lean that I never noticed.

First car purchased in 1997 finally getting some love.
88 ford bronco XLT
5.8l roller, 5.0 HO cam, AFR heads, Edlbrock truck intake, BBK throttle body, Fiveolgy racing MAF conversion, Hooker shorties, KN intake, Procomp 4" stage 2, Deaver leafs, bilstien 5165 front and 5100 rear, tie rod flip, 35/12.50/17

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode