SAS Questionnaire: Share some numbers, info, etc, regarding your Straight Axle Swap - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
huh

Bronco Info: Half Turd/ Half Zilla
Post SAS Questionnaire: Share some numbers, info, etc, regarding your Straight Axle Swap

Figured this might help people searching. (If theres another number you feel is relevant let me know and ill add it and we can edit our replies to include that info)

------to reply, Click Here and answer the questions in between the color=red and color tags added-----
<erase everything above this>

1. What is your wheelbase after your SAS? _
a -Any problems encountered?_
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? (other than radius arm bracket and trac bar bracket placement)_
c-Any other information._

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down)_
a-Any problems encountered?_
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were?_
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? _
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use?_
e-Any other information_

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed)_
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down)_
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower)_
c-Any other information_

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable)_
a-Did you make, buy, or modify a stock upper trac bar mount?_
b-Are you using the stock lower mount or a custom lower? (If custom, what is the distance from the top of the axle to the trac bar hole)_
c-What are you using for a trac bar? (Modified stock, Custom, Adjustable, etc)_
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?_
e-Any other information_

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable)_
a-Did you make, buy or modify a stock radius arm bracket?_
b-Did you angle it back to take away some stress on the bushing at ride height? (If so, how much?)_
c-Are you using stock radius arm, aftermarket, extensions, or another setup?_
e-What degree C Bushing did you use? (Rubber/Poly)_
f-Any other information_

6. How much drop on your pitman arm?_
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...?_
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.?_
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.?_
e-Any other information_

**.Links to your pictures**_

New Questions Submitted:
-total lift after swap _
-max tire size after swap _
-distance from ground to where front of the leaf spring mounts _
-distance from ground to where rear of leaf mounts. _
-Shackle before or behind axle? _
-What shackle used _
-front hangar? rear hangar? _
-what axle used in swap? year etc? _
-did you box the frame? (for leaf sprung swaps) _
-# of leafs in pack? _
-did you use an angles shim to correct caster? if so, how much? _
-u-bolts pointed up or down? _
-did you lengthen your driveshaft? _
-total cost? (Include list of specific parts cost if possible) _

<erase everything below this>
(PLEASE MESSAGE ME WITH ANY OTHER THINGS THAT SHOULD BE ADDED)
this was just some info i know id like to compare and im sure it would help someone researching the sas process..

Raf Truth Twister
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
huh

Bronco Info: Half Turd/ Half Zilla
1. What is your wheelbase after your SAS? 107-3/4
a -Any problems encountered? Not yet
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? (other than radius arm bracket and trac bar bracket placement)smaller pitman arm (tie rod hit drag link TRE when stuffed
c-Any other information.driveshaft extended

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down)9"
a-Any problems encountered? diff to x-member clearance
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were? yes
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? Eibach, 16+14" coils plus tender coil
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use? custom tube uppers. tabs welded to inner knuckle for lower (coilovers)
e-Any other information not right now

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed) 40.50 extended / 24.50 collapsed (swayaway coilovers)
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down) 5 up/ 11 down
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower) custom tube upper / welded tabs to inner knuckle for lower.
c-Any other information nope

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable) 4"
a-Did you make, buy, or modify a stock upper trac bar mount? custom
b-Are you using the stock lower mount or a custom lower? (If custom, what is the distance from the top of the axle to the trac bar hole) stock lower
c-What are you using for a trac bar? (Modified stock, Custom, Adjustable, etc) superlift adjustable
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims? poly bushings
e-Any other information adjustable is great

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable) 4.5"
a-Did you make, buy or modify a stock radius arm bracket? custom made
b-Did you angle it back to take away some stress on the bushing at ride height? (If so, how much?) yes, 15 degrees
c-Are you using stock radius arm, aftermarket, extensions, or another setup? stock passenger, twister radius arm drivers side
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?rubber
e-What degree C Bushing did you use? (Rubber/Poly) 7*
f-Any other information nope

6. How much drop on your pitman arm? 0"
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...? stock
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.? custom. dom tube cut and tapped
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.? chevy tre's
e-Any other information over the knuckle setup

**.Links to your pictures**
www.bronkzilla.com/images (i will post direct links later)

Raf Truth Twister
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Lurker

1. What is your wheelbase after your SAS? 107"
a -Any problems encountered?Possibly need to cut the bottom 6" off the front of the front fender on 80-86.
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? (other than radius arm bracket and trac bar bracket placement)No, just positioned hangars to achieve desired axle position.
c-Any other information.After a shackle flip in the rear with stock springs, the rear axle comes forward about 1.5". I used a custom spring pad with offset center pin to move it back to center.

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down)7 3/4"
a-Any problems encountered?No
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were?Yes, cut about 4" out of both sides
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? I used stock 93 F350 front leafs with the small, overload spring removed. It only has two leafs per side.
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use?N/A
e-Any other informationI used pre-80s front hangars and 80-97 rear for the front hangars with stock shackle from the rear of a Bronco.

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed)No numbers yet, but the distance from lower mount to upper mount is 22"
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down) Not sure yet. Will get info later
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower)I used stock F250/350 shock towers. The lowers are custom made u-bolt plates with shock mount built on.
c-Any other informationI plan on running Bilstein 5100s

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable)N/A
b-Are you using the stock lower mount or a custom lower? (If custom, what is the distance from the top of the axle to the trac bar hole)_
e-Any other information_

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable)N/A
b-Did you angle it back to take away some stress on the bushing at ride height? (If so, how much?)_
f-Any other information_

6. How much drop on your pitman arm?4"
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...?Rough Country
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.?Custom 1.5" DOM .250 wall
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.? 3/4" Heims
e-Any other informationIt is basically stock style. The tie rod is flipped to the top of knuckle.

http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...=13658#content

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 09:35 PM
I am Super!

This a great idea, I'm hoping it helps me out this summer!

89 302 efi. AOD. Locked 8 lug ttb,locked 10.25 shackle flip 2" Add-A-Leaf. Warn 8000lb winch, Custom bumpers and skidplate.
My SuperFord Page #2
R.I.P. 86My SuperFord Page
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 12:03 PM
....ehhh

Bronco Info: Under Buggy Construction
Ok I will have to come back later and edit, to add the measurements

I used James Duff Arms, and did a shackle rversal in the rear.
a -Any problems encountered?_
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? (other than radius arm bracket and trac bar bracket placement)_

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down)_
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were?Yes front lip about 3 inches, needs cut more._
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? Super lift 6" coils for 79 Bronco_
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use?stock 79 bronco buckets, and stock lower 79 brackets_
e-Any other information_

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed)I am working on that right now, I have a set of 6" lift shocks meant for the rear of an 84 bronco_
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down)_
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower)_upper shock towers from a 91 f-250, lower are the mounts on the james duff arms.
c-Any other information_

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable)_about 4 inches
a-Did you make, buy, or modify a stock upper trac bar mount?made mine, welded it a little to far from the radius arm mount, and the mount hole is about 2.25" up fromt he axle tube_
b-Are you using the stock lower mount or a custom lower? (If custom, what is the distance from the top of the axle to the trac bar hole)custom on the axle housing_
c-What are you using for a trac bar? (Modified stock, Custom, Adjustable, etc)damn adjustable, should have just made my own._
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?_Track bar has poly bushings
e-Any other information_I bought the adjustable trac bar, found out that even when it was fully retracted it was still to long. I had to cut it in a chunk off and re-weld it back together, I could have just made my own.

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable)_right behind the transmission cross member
a-Did you make, buy or modify a stock radius arm bracket?_I modified the bracket that came with the duff arms.
b-Did you angle it back to take away some stress on the bushing at ride height? (If so, how much?)_no it has hiem joints
c-Are you using stock radius arm, aftermarket, extensions, or another setup?James duff arms_
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?_stock style poly bushings at the axle, poly bushings connecting the arms tot he head unit, and heims attching the arms to the truck
e-What degree C Bushing did you use? (Rubber/Poly)_seven degrees, and put in back wards (long story)
f-Any other information_Jumes duff arms already have 4.5 degrees built into them. the 79 d60 has 2 degrees built into the pumpkin/housing, welded the tabs on with another two degrees, the 84 frame drops down where the arms mount, more than the 77 bronco they were designed for, so I had way to much angle, and it caused my pinion to point toward the ground.

6. How much drop on your pitman arm?_6"
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...?From a 1/2 ton sky jacker lift kit_
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.?stock for an 89 f-350_
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.?regular stock ford tres
e-Any other information_tie rod is from a 79 bronco, drag link and tres are from 89 f-350

**.Links to your pictures**_Super ford seems to be crapped out now.

New Questions Submitted:
-total lift after swap 1" taller than my 1/2 ton 6"
-max tire size after swap I have 37's and have cut the febders a bit.
-What shackle used _
-what axle used in swap? year etc? _79 d60
-did you box the frame? (for leaf sprung swaps) _no
-# of leafs in pack? _
-did you lengthen your driveshaft? no a stock shaft from a 92 f-350_
-total cost? (Include list of specific parts cost if possible) 1979 ford f-350 4x4 running driving $1100
James duff extended arms (should have made my own for the price, but are working great for me.)_

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 08:56 PM
negative creep

Bronco Info: bronco with seats and a steering wheel
1. What is your wheelbase after your SAS? 106"
a -Any problems encountered? front drive shaft needed to be lengthened
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? (other than radius arm bracket and trac bar bracket placement) just placement of front crossmember and trimming stock rear hangers to fit inside body mount
c-Any other information. no

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down) 6.5"
a-Any problems encountered? no
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were? no
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? 52" K5 rear
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use? none
e-Any other information no

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed) 28.625"/17.5"
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down) 3.5" down,7.63" down
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower) F250 upper/tabs
c-Any other information Rancho RS9000X (PN 9005)

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable)no trac bar

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable)no radius arms

6. How much drop on your pitman arm? stock bronco
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...? stock
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.? DOM
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.? 1 ton chevy

Superford pics of my setup
How it performs

New Questions Submitted:
-total lift after swap approx. 5.5"
-max tire size after swap 40s with a lot of trimming
-distance from ground to where front of the leaf spring mounts 26.5" to front leaf spring eye
-distance from ground to where rear of leaf mounts. 20" to rear shackle eye
-Shackle before or behind axle? behind
-What shackle used stock
-front hangar? rear hangar? tube, F350
-what axle used in swap? year etc? 87 High Pinion 60
-did you box the frame? (for leaf sprung swaps) yes + cross member
-# of leafs in pack? 3 + overload
-did you use an angles shim to correct caster? if so, how much? no
-u-bolts pointed up or down? up
-did you lengthen your driveshaft? yes, approximately 2"
-total cost? (Include list of specific parts cost if possible)
60 with leafs and steering = $850
5.13 gears and install kit = $200
Lock Rite = $250
DOM steering $200
Front shocks = $140
K5 springs = $40
New F350 upper shock mounts and rear hangers = $100
SRW hubs = $120
Steel = $100
Nuts/bolts = $20 max
Sky Shackle Flip Kit = $125
Reman loaded calipers = $200 for 2
Consumables = $50
U bolts = $70
King pin rebuild kit = $100 for 2
Tires mounted to 8 lug wheels, gasket, fluids, misc parts = $100

TOTAL = $2550 ($3450 including 14 bolt)

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Broncoless, but I got a 1987 F250 to make up for it
1981 Bronco

1. What is your wheelbase after your SAS? 105. The front axle was moved forward slightly
a -Any problems encountered?No. Everything lines up fine.
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? (other than radius arm bracket and trac bar bracket placement)No
c-Any other information.Since there was quite a bit of leeway as to where to mount the radius arm brackets, it was just a matter of mounting everything slightly forward.

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down)About a foot to the inside of the crossmember.
a-Any problems encountered?None with the six inch lift. The differential just touches the crossmember at full stuff.
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were?No
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? Superlift 6"
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use?78 F-150 with the bucket mounted shock mounts.
e-Any other informationWith the six inch lift the front driveshaft hit the tranny crossmember at static ride height. I tunneled the crossmember so the axle could drop as far as it wanted without binding the shaft.

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed)_Skyjacker Nitro 14" travel
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down)About 2/3 compressed at ride height
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower)On the driver side, I used the stock radius arm and spring bucket mounts. On the passenger side I have a wristed arm, so I use the stock F-150 upper mount, and a mount on the axle side of the wristed arm so the angles don't get severe at the shock bushing.
c-Any other informationNo

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable)About 1 inch
a-Did you make, buy, or modify a stock upper trac bar mount?Built from 3/8 by 2 inch angle iron and 1/4" plate. I have also built the bracket from 2 inch receiver tube with good results.
b-Are you using the stock lower mount or a custom lower? (If custom, what is the distance from the top of the axle to the trac bar hole)Stock mount using the tapered bolt repair kit for a damaged axle hole.
c-What are you using for a trac bar? (Modified stock, Custom, Adjustable, etc)Stock, but inverted for better clearance during articulation.
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?Stock replacement poly bushings.
e-Any other informationIt's worth putting in the extra effort to make sure the tie rod and track bar are parallel. My truck has virtually no bump steer.

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable)Stock
a-Did you make, buy or modify a stock radius arm bracket?Modified the stock brackets by laying the front face back so they faced directly at the axle at static ride height. This eliminates bushing bind without buying special bushings or using drop brackets.
b-Did you angle it back to take away some stress on the bushing at ride height? (If so, how much?)about 20 degrees.
c-Are you using stock radius arm, aftermarket, extensions, or another setup?Stock on the driver side. The passenger side is a stock arm that has been converted to be wristed.
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?Poly
e-What degree C Bushing did you use? (Rubber/Poly)7 degrees.
f-Any other informationThe stock length arms provide a lot of articulation with a wristed radius arm and some effort to take bind out of the system.

6. How much drop on your pitman arm?About 4 inches
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...?Superlift
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.?The tie rod is a stock 78/79 part. The drag link is a combination of the stock Bronco Pitman arm end and the 78/79 tie rod end sleeved in schedule 80 pipe.
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.?Stock TRE's in all locations.
e-Any other information_

**.Links to your pictures**www.geocities.com/lars915

New Questions Submitted:
-total lift after swap About 7 to 7 1/2 inches
-max tire size after swap With fender cutting, 42's easy. Been running 37's for 2 years with no contact.
-What shackle used _
-what axle used in swap? year etc? _1978 D44
-# of leafs in pack? _
-did you lengthen your driveshaft? No
-total cost? (Include list of specific parts cost if possible) Around $800 including axle and a combination of new and used parts (new steering, used suspension, new springs). Price doesn't include axle rebuild and buildup cost.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 02:21 AM

Bronco Info: 85xlt with stuff
1. What is your wheelbase after your SAS? 104.5
a -Any problems encountered? no
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? (other than radius arm bracket and trac bar bracket placement) Sky shackle flip moved the axle forward
c-Any other information. moved the front axle forward just a tad from stock so when i stuff the tire, its centered

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down) 9.25"
a-Any problems encountered?[color=red] nope[color]
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were? yes, wacked it all away
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? TTB superlift 6 coils
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use? Upper factory coil/shock mount
e-Any other information since I reused the upper TTB coil/shock bracket I had to move the lower coil bracket back couple inches to straighten the coils

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed) Extended is 29.7, collapsed is 17.78
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down) 12 travel shocks 5.5 shaft showing and rest is down travel.
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower) eye to eye with home made lower shock mounts and half of a F250 upper shock mount welded to my TTB brackets
c-Any other information Bilstien shocks rule! 255/70 vlaving

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable) 4.25
a-Did you make, buy, or modify a stock upper trac bar mount? made my own.
b-Are you using the stock lower mount or a custom lower? (If custom, what is the distance from the top of the axle to the trac bar hole) Factory lower mount
c-What are you using for a trac bar? (Modified stock, Custom, Adjustable, etc) right now using Superlift adjustable trac bar but soon replacing with heimed trac bar
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims? Bushings but soon to be heims

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable) 4
a-Did you make, buy or modify a stock radius arm bracket? Home made
b-Did you angle it back to take away some stress on the bushing at ride height? (If so, how much?) 10 degrees
c-Are you using stock radius arm, aftermarket, extensions, or another setup? Stock radius arms with Bent and Twisted extensions and boxed
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims? poly bushings
e-What degree C Bushing did you use? (Rubber/Poly) 7 degrees
f-Any other information no

6. How much drop on your pitman arm? what ever came with my TTB lift kit
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...? aftermarket
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.? Custom DOM tubing with chevy 1 ton TREs and flipped onto of the knuckles
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.? Chevy TREs
e-Any other information Painted black

**.Links to your pictures** http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...tail.php?id=12

New Questions Submitted:
-total lift after swap 7.5 with 1 body lift
-max tire size after swap 37 MTRs
-distance from ground to where front of the leaf spring mounts 24.5
-distance from ground to where rear of leaf mounts. 24.75
-Shackle before or behind axle? NA
-What shackle used Factory
-front hangar? rear hangar? NA
-what axle used in swap? year etc? 78 bronco Dana 44
-did you box the frame? (for leaf sprung swaps) No
-# of leafs in pack? NA
-did you use an angles shim to correct caster? if so, how much? NA
-u-bolts pointed up or down? up
-total cost? (Include list of specific parts cost if possible) $700ish
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm no expert!

Bronco Info: 1982 Toyota with the roof cut off. 351W, D60 welded, 14bolt, 5.13s, on 39.5 TSLs with beadlocks.
1. What is your wheelbase after your SAS? [color=red]112.5"[/color=red]
a -Any problems encountered- There was only about 3" of Travel between my TR and the crossmember so I totally hacked it. Bad idea! The stress of the steering box pressing against the tires will push the frame rails apart. I've since connected the sides together with a piece of 1/2"x4" plate. It's worked fine since I've done this
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? (other than radius arm bracket and trac bar bracket placement)_[color=red]I moved the front axle 3" forward and the rear axle back as far as my leafs would let me go= 4.5"[/color=red]
c-Any other information._[color=red] I'm currently using stock rear leafs f&r. No one else has done this on a 80s+ Full size ford. Proceed at your own risk. After month's of driving and wheeling everything has held fine. I was concerned using stock brackets in the rear and dropping them for lift but it's worked great![/color=red]

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down)_ I cut the xmember before taking this measurement.
a-Any problems encountered?_[color=red]I'm using a high steer system with the TR behind the tube and above the diff. The engine xmember caused interference so I hacked it. I bolted a piece of Heavy plate up to connect the sides and this seamed to fix the problem. [/color=red]
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were?_[color=red]see above[/color=red]
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? _[color=red] stock rear leafs front and rear[/color=red]
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use?_
e-Any other information_

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed)_ I've got 12" Bilsteins up front and 14" procraps in the rear
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down)_ I've got my front setup for 6" of compression and 4" of droop. I've got alot less droop than compression
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower)_ Old Ford Style front/ my own custom creation on the bottom
c-Any other information_

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable)_N/A
e-Any other information_

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable)_N/A
f-Any other information_

6. How much drop on your pitman arm?_Stock.
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...?_[color=red] stock reamed out to accept a 3/4" Chevy Drag Link End[/color=red]
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.?_[color=red]Both are custom. Check out WFO's website Trevor the owner is one hell of a guy and makes good on his word[/color=red]
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.?_ [color=red]Chevy TREs[/color=red]
e-Any other information_[red]WFO High steer arms [/color=red]

**.Links to your pictures**_Old Desert Goat

New Questions Submitted:
-total lift after swap _ [color=red]approximately 7.5-8"[/color=red]
-max tire size after swap _ I'd say 39" without trimming. I'm stuffing 38/12.50s really well without problems
-distance from ground to where front of the leaf spring mounts _[color=red]lower than stock[/color=red]
-distance from ground to where rear of leaf mounts. _[color=red]lower than stock[/color=red]
-Shackle before or behind axle? _[color=red]Front[/color=red]
-What shackle used _[color=red]stock rear shackle reinforced with 1/4" plate[/color=red]
-front hangar? rear hangar? _[color=red]stock/stock[/color=red]
-what axle used in swap? year etc? _[color=red]1988 Ford D60[/color=red]
-did you box the frame? (for leaf sprung swaps) _[color=red]yes[/color=red]
-# of leafs in pack? _[color=red] 4 up front [/color=red]
-did you use an angles shim to correct caster? if so, how much? _NO
-u-bolts pointed up or down? _UP
-did you lengthen your driveshaft? _[color=red] Yes. Both Front and rear had to be lengthened. I reused the stock drivelines, had them lengthened (I forget how much) 1410 Ujoint front 1350 rear
-total cost? (Include list of specific parts cost if possible) _[color=red]
D60 complete lockout to lockout w/ steering=1100
WFO Highsteer=400
Brakes= im guessing around 500. I still need to get to it
4.10 gearing front and rear with welded front carrier $150. Thanx Bill. :)
Driveshafts=Im guessing about 400 depending if I can scrounge for the High Angle Driveline stuff.
Yokes= 100 for the front 1410. I reused the 1350 on the rear 14 bolt
Consumables 250.[/color=red]

1982 Toy Chasis & Cab. 351W, C6, NP203/205, D60 welded, 14 bolt Detroit & 5.13s, running on 15" wheels and 40s.

Last edited by BigNorm; 10-30-2005 at 01:47 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 11:07 PM
Bitchin.

Bronco Info: 84 bronco 351W, C6, 79 D44, 9", Twinstick 205
Keep your D44 TTB yoke...

1. What is your wheelbase after your SAS? _same as stock.
a -Any problems encountered?_duh. the typical transmission xmember mod to accomodate the relocation of the differential, uninstall headers, specialty U-joints
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? (other than radius arm bracket and trac bar bracket placement)_no
c-Any other information._MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR D44 TTB YOKE!

b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were? No.
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? Superflex 6" springs for the 78-79
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use?stock 79 bronco buckets, and stock lower 79 brackets_
e-Any other information_ notched

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed)not sure, but they are MX6 remote reservoir 12" travel shocks
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down)_6" up and 6" down
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower)_upper shock towers from a 95 f-350, lower are the mounts on the stock arms, but modified to accomodate easy trail changes
c-Any other information_ go bushings and not bearings with your shock eyes unless you have them in a location that only lets them travel on one lateral.

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable)_about 2 inches
a-Did you make, buy, or modify a stock upper trac bar mount?had it made by DOGONMUT, bought it from ALLAXCS
b-Are you using the stock lower mount or a custom lower? (If custom, what is the distance from the top of the axle to the trac bar hole)custom on the axle housing, 4 inches from the top of the cast on the axle.
c-What are you using for a trac bar? (Modified stock, Custom, Adjustable, etc)Custom
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims? 3/4" heims
e-Any other information_I bought the adjustable trac bar, found out that even when it was fully retracted it was still to long. I had to cut it in a chunk off and re-weld it back together, I could have just made my own.

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable)_same as stock 79 bracket
a-Did you make, buy or modify a stock radius arm bracket?_modified stock
b-Did you angle it back to take away some stress on the bushing at ride height? (If so, how much?)_23*
c-Are you using stock radius arm, aftermarket, extensions, or another setup?stock arm.
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?Rubber.
e-What degree C Bushing did you use? (Rubber/Poly) Poly 7 degrees.
f-Any other information_

6. How much drop on your pitman arm?_4"
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...?Procomp
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.?Custom
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.?ChevyTRE's
e-Any other information- flipped to top of knuckle and reverse reamed with 7 degree tapered bit.

-total lift after swap- 1/2" taller than my 1/2 ton 6"
-max tire size after swap- I have 37's
-what axle used in swap? year etc? _78 d44

TOTAL COSTS (including axle purchase):
$2700.00 +/-
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 01:50 PM
I'm no expert!

Bronco Info: 1982 Toyota with the roof cut off. 351W, D60 welded, 14bolt, 5.13s, on 39.5 TSLs with beadlocks.
I finally updated mine as well.

1982 Toy Chasis & Cab. 351W, C6, NP203/205, D60 welded, 14 bolt Detroit & 5.13s, running on 15" wheels and 40s.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:48 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: F100,460, 1tons, 203/205 doubler, sitting on 42" pitbull rockers.
dayum norm thats some sick flex

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:25 AM
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
1. What is your wheelbase after your SAS? 106.5"
a -Any problems encountered?none yet
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? (other than radius arm bracket and trac bar bracket placement)rear is set back 1.5" with a zero rate to accomodate fot the 1" loss in wheelbase the shackle flip causes

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down)~11"
a-Any problems encountered?not yet
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were?yes i cut the front lip off
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? 6" Superflex
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use?Stock '79 bronco parts
e-Any other information4 shim underneath lower coil mount to prevent coils from bowing out

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed)14" travel Cage shocks
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down)5" up at rest
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower)stock 80s F350
c-Any other information_

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable)~4 1/8"
a-Did you make, buy, or modify a stock upper trac bar mount? custom made
b-Are you using the stock lower mount or a custom lower? (If custom, what is the distance from the top of the axle to the trac bar hole)custon made; ~3 5/8"
c-What are you using for a trac bar? (Modified stock, Custom, Adjustable, etc)custom
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?heims
e-Any other information_

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable)2"
a-Did you make, buy or modify a stock radius arm bracket?using bracket that came with the Cage arms
b-Did you angle it back to take away some stress on the bushing at ride height? (If so, how much?)n/a
c-Are you using stock radius arm, aftermarket, extensions, or another setup?im using Cage Offroad's radius arms
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?Heims
e-What degree C Bushing did you use? (Rubber/Poly)2
f-Any other information_

6. How much drop on your pitman arm?
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...?stock bronco arm
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.?custom DOM tubing
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.?chevy TREs
e-Any other informationtie rod is flipped to the top of the knuckle

**.Links to your pictures**sas swap pics

New Questions Submitted:
-total lift after swap ~8"
-max tire size after swap still have the 3" body lift so maybe 40"s
-what axle used in swap? year etc? 79 D60
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 06:52 PM

Bronco Info: 1981
1. What is your wheelbase after your SAS? 102"
a -Any problems encountered?none yet
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? (other than radius arm bracket and trac bar bracket placement) front axle moved rearward 1 1/2 inches due to placement of radius arm brackets (will fix later)
c-Any other information. I had to shorten driveshaft 2 inches, cut crossmember to clear front axle, notch the tranny crossmember to clear driveshaft.

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down)~6"
a-Any problems encountered?not yet
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were? yes, i cut most of it off
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? 6" Superlift from ttb lift
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use?Stock '79 bronco parts
e-Any other
3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed)ttb 6" lift shocks
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down)
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower)stock 80s bronco
c-Any other information_

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable) to the bottom part of the frame (welded)
a-Did you make, buy, or modify a stock upper trac bar mount? custom made
b-Are you using the stock lower mount or a custom lower? stock from 79
c-What are you using for a trac bar? stock bar from 79
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims? poly
e-Any other information_

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable)
a-Did you make, buy or modify a stock radius arm bracket? using bracket that came with the ttb lift 6"
b-Did you angle it back to take away some stress on the bushing at ride height? (If so, how much?)no
c-Are you using stock radius arm, aftermarket, extensions, or another setup?im using stock from 79 radius arms
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?poly
e-What degree C Bushing did you use? (Rubber/Poly)7 poly
f-Any other information_

6. How much drop on your pitman arm?
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...? drop arm from ttb lift
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.? custom DOM tubing

e-Any other information

**.Links to your pictures**sas swap pics

http://wheelingarizona.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...15-album-46750

New Questions Submitted:
-total lift after swap ~6"
-max tire size after swap 44s with fender trimming and 3 " body lift, but im running 37's due to tires rubing on radius arms in full turns
-what axle used in swap? 79 bronco d44

351w 4barrel C6 NP208 D44/9in 6" lift 35" tires and no rust

All this for $500
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 12:32 AM

Bronco Info: 1991 EB...Dana 60 Front welded...10.25 Rear welded...3 link up front shackle flip in the back
1. What is your wheelbase after your SAS? 104.5"
a -Any problems encountered? Nope
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? 1" offset (1" tall) rear lift block
c-Any other information. Nope

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down) 8.75"
a-Any problems encountered? Nope
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were? Front bracket only
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? Superflex 78/79 6" lift coils
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use? 78/79 upper and lower coil mounts
e-Any other information? Shimmed lower mounts, no additional coil retainers used

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed)35.5" / 20.5"_
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down) 5" up / 10" down (for now)
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower) Extended stock upper mount / tabs welded to RA's for lower
c-Any other information Nope

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable) 4"
a-Did you make, buy, or modify a stock upper trac bar mount? Inverted and modified stock quad shock/trac bar mount
b-Are you using the stock lower mount or a custom lower? (If custom, what is the distance from the top of the axle to the trac bar hole) Stock
c-What are you using for a trac bar? (Modified stock, Custom, Adjustable, etc) 1/5" x .25" DOM
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims? 3/4" Heims
e-Any other information Nope

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable) 3.5"
a-Did you make, buy or modify a stock radius arm bracket? Custom crossmember radius arm mount
b-Did you angle it back to take away some stress on the bushing at ride height? (If so, how much?) N/A
c-Are you using stock radius arm, aftermarket, extensions, or another setup? Custom extended and boxed stock radius arms
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims? Johnnie Joints
e-What degree C Bushing did you use? (Rubber/Poly) 7*
f-Any other information Final caster is 5.6*

6. How much drop on your pitman arm? 1"
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...? Not sure
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.? Custom DOM cut and tapped
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.? 1 Ton chevy TRE's
e-Any other information Nope

**.Links to your pictures** http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/...il.php?id=3367

New Questions Submitted:
-total lift after swap about 4"
-max tire size after swap 40's ?
-distance from ground to where front of the leaf spring mounts N/A
-distance from ground to where rear of leaf mounts. N/A
-Shackle before or behind axle? N/A
-What shackle used N/A
-front hangar? rear hangar? N/A
-what axle used in swap? year etc? 79 Bronco D44
-did you box the frame? (for leaf sprung swaps) Nope
-# of leafs in pack? Stock
-did you use an angles shim to correct caster? if so, how much? N/A
-u-bolts pointed up or down? UP
-did you lengthen your driveshaft? Nope
-total cost? (Include list of specific parts cost if possible) Don't have a clue

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

My Supermotors Page
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 AM

Bronco Info: '81 FSB & '66 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronkzilla View Post
Figured this might help people searching. (If theres another number you feel is relevant let me know and ill add it and we can edit our replies to include that info)

------to reply, Click Here and answer the questions in between the color=red and color tags added-----

1. What is your wheelbase after your SAS? x_
a -Any problems encountered?x_
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? (other than radius arm bracket and trac bar bracket placement)x_
c-Any other information.x_

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down)x_
a-Any problems encountered?x_
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were?x_
c-What brand/Size coils/did you use? x_
d-What coil buckets/ (Upper/Lower) did you use?_
e-Any other informationx_

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed)x_
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down)x_
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower)x_
c-Any other informationx_

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable)x_
a-Did you make, buy, or modify a stock upper trac bar mount?x_
b-Are you using the stock lower mount or a custom lower? (If custom, what is the distance from the top of the axle to the trac bar hole)x_
c-What are you using for a trac bar? (Modified stock, Custom, Adjustable, etc)x_
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) x?x_

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable)x_
a-Did you make, buy or modify a stock radius arm bracket?x_
b-Did you angle it back to take away some stress on the bushing at ride height? (If so, how much?)x_
c-Are you using stock radius arm, aftermarket, extensions, or another setup?x_
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) x?x_
e-What degree C Bushing did you use? (Rubber/Poly)x_
f-Any other informationx_

6. How much drop on your pitman arm?x_
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...?_x
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.?x_
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.?_

**.Links to your pictures**x_

New Questions Submitted:
-total lift after swap _
-max tire size after swap _
-What shackle used x_
-front hangar? rear hangar? x_
-# of leafs in pack? _
-did you lengthen your driveshaft? x_

(PLEASE MESSAGE ME WITH ANY OTHER THINGS THAT SHOULD BE ADDED)
this was just some info i know id like to compare and im sure it would help someone researching the sas process..
one

1981 Bronco XLT Ranger with '90 FSB powertrain
1966 Bronco TBI 351W, aod, 203/205, tru hi 9" 5.13s, 35" tires. 57 Ford Fairlane 500 restored, lowered with A/C and disc. brakes
2002 F350 dually crew cab. 7.3 PSD
Phewwwwwwwwww!!
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 03:27 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 F-150, 5.8, C6, D44 SAS, 9" Lift, 4.10's, 37" Toyo MTs
a -Any problems encountered? _
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? (other than radius arm bracket and trac bar bracket placement) Coil Buckets moved forward approx 1"
c-Any other information. _

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down) _
a-Any problems encountered? _
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were? No
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? 9" Skyjacker
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use? Stock 79
e-Any other information _

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed) 34.90/20.75
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down) 5.7 Up, 8.6 Down
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower) 80-96 F-250 Upper, Cage RA Lower
c-Any other information _

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable) _
a-Did you make, buy, or modify a stock upper trac bar mount? Modified Cage Bracket
b-Are you using the stock lower mount or a custom lower? (If custom, what is the distance from the top of the axle to the trac bar hole) Stock
c-What are you using for a trac bar? (Modified stock, Custom, Adjustable, etc)Modified Cage Trac Bar
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?3/4" Heim
e-Any other information_

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable)_
a-Did you make, buy or modify a stock radius arm bracket?Cage Brackets
c-Are you using stock radius arm, aftermarket, extensions, or another setup?C-Channel Cage Radius Arms
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?Heims
e-What degree C Bushing did you use? (Rubber/Poly)4*
f-Any other information_

6. How much drop on your pitman arm?None
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...?Stock 89
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.?Custom from PartsMike
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.?Chevy TRE's
e-Any other information_

New Questions Submitted:
-total lift after swap 9+...it was a low 2wd
-max tire size after swap Running 37's, could easily go bigger
-What shackle used _
-what axle used in swap? year etc? 1979 Bronco D44
-did you box the frame? (for leaf sprung swaps) No
-# of leafs in pack? 4... dang 2.5" wide leafs...
-did you use an angles shim to correct caster? if so, how much? Just the one that came with the 6" Leafs... 4* or so?
-u-bolts pointed up or down? Up
-total cost? (Include list of specific parts cost if possible) I'll get back to you on that...

Just goin off memory for now...I'll get the rest of the info when I get back in state either later tonight or tomorrow.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 11:23 PM

Bronco Info: 96 351W E4OD SAS Leaf Dana 44/Spool Front, Dana 60FF Rear, 4.88 gears
1. What is your wheelbase after your SAS? _107.3
a -Any problems encountered?_rear springs ride too rough
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? (other than radius arm bracket and trac bar bracket placement)_moved rear spring perches back 3” to achieve softer ride
c-Any other information._Ground clearance- front diff: 10.5”; rear diff 9.5”; center 19.5”

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down)_10.5”
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were?_no
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? _6” lift f250 front, 8” superlift chevy k1500 rear
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use?_custom fabricated
e-Any other information_

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed)_pro comp ES 3000, front shock body is 17.5” long, rear shock body is 15” not sure about the rod length
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down)_about half..or so
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower)_stock ford superduty shock mounts front, stock bronco rear, 4wheelers supply shock mounting tabs on axles
c-Any other information_

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable)_n/a

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable)_n/a

6. How much drop on your pitman arm?_stock
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...?_
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.?_stock bronco drag link, custom, solid 1.25” steel tie rod
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.?_3/4 ton ford TRE’s
e-Any other information_

New Questions Submitted:
-total lift after swap _started at 7”, now around 5”
-max tire size after swap _currently 33.46”
-distance from ground to where front of the leaf spring mounts _27”
-distance from ground to where rear of leaf mounts. _22.5”
-Shackle before or behind axle? _behind
-What shackle used _custom fabricated
-front hangar? rear hangar? _custom front, 1977? Ford f250 rear
-what axle used in swap? year etc? _72-79 various parts
-did you box the frame? (for leaf sprung swaps) _yes
-# of leafs in pack? _5 front, 6 rear
-did you use an angles shim to correct caster? if so, how much? _rotated knuckles
-u-bolts pointed up or down? _up
-did you lengthen your driveshaft? _yes on rear d-shaft, front d-shaft is shortened unit from f250
Labor: 1500
Front dana 44 with Detroit locker, steering components and 4 leaf springs $300 (also came with a dana 61 which was a hassle and we ended up not using)
Rear dana 60 $100
Driveshafts and driveshaft shortening/lengthening $300
u-joints (297x) $71.44
shocks $92.90
tires $812
wheels $150
gears and master install kits, tone ring $879.69 (don’t ask)
ball joints $91.76
parking brake cable $21.28
random hardware (abs sensor, nuts&bolts, shock tabs, misc seals, etc.) ~$350
fluids (including fluid changes after break in) ~$80

total: $4727 (it was actually right around $5100, I have the list in an excel spreadsheet)

this doesn’t include the repair bill for my first outing after the sas:
chromoly axles to replace broken axles: $812.04
power steering pump: $$$$
upgrade to 760x u-joints: $$
new shock for driver front: $

see pics using the link in my sig

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/10453

1996 XLT 5.8L E4OD, D44 SAS with Spool and Alloy USA Shafts, D60FF 30spl rear, 4.88 gears
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 05:57 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer
work in progress, sas complete need to get out there and take additional mesurements.

1. What is your wheelbase after your SAS? Coil buckets are moved forward 1" or about 7" from front frame mounted alignment pins
a -Any problems encountered?bolts mounted to the frame were 3 per bucket not 4 but with grade 8 hardware you get 17870 lbs of sheer force per bolt. 3 is plenty
c-Any other information.none

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down)enough to clear it, not sure why this matters
a-Any problems encountered?none
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were?no
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? Deaver 5.5" 66-77 lift coils/4.5" Superflex Leafs JBG and 3" Lift Blocks
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use?James Duff Coil Buckets/Lower James Duff Coil buckets are thick and retain the coil on both ends
e-Any other informationMounted JD Buckets 3" lower than stock and the coils gave me 4" of lift for a total of 7" The 5.5 springs are so soft they squish down to about 4" over stock.

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed)34/19.5"
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down)6.5" UP/8.5 DOWN
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower) Ford F250 Brackets
c-Any other informationCut 4 inch holes in the fender well to raise the brackets above the wheel well for 27.5" eye to eye at cruise height

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable)F250 Tuff Country mount or about 2.5"
a-Did you make, buy, or modify a stock upper trac bar mount?First swap ever to use a Tuff Country 99+ Ford Super Duty Mount
b-Are you using the stock lower mount or a custom lower? (If custom, what is the distance from the top of the axle to the trac bar hole)Stock bolt and mount on the axle side
c-What are you using for a trac bar? (Modified stock, Custom, Adjustable, etc)Modified stock cut down and welded to get the angles right
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?both bushings
e-Any other informationThe stock trackbar is fine for mild wheeling, if the suspension travel is fully compressed on the passenger side the cut down stock track bar will hit the crossmember. This could be cut to aleviate but I am building/ordering a heim trackbar with bends later on.

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable)inside the frame 2" and down 2 inches just in front of the transmission crossmember
a-Did you make, buy or modify a stock radius arm bracket?heavily modified stock brackets and reversed them from left to right and vice versa. Bolted on for now but future mod is to include custom mounts and transmission skid.
b-Did you angle it back to take away some stress on the bushing at ride height? (If so, how much?)Sqare to the frame and square to the ground.
c-Are you using stock radius arm, aftermarket, extensions, or another setup?Custom BroncoBob.com arms from a 77 Bronco 44" Long.
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?Rubber
e-What degree C Bushing did you use? (Rubber/Poly)2 Degree bushings with 5 degrees built into arms.
f-Any other informationWith the arms and C bushings my driveline is perfect at 6-7" of lift and 7* of Caster

6. How much drop on your pitman arm?Stock Pitman Arm
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...?Reamed for Chevy 1 Ton TRE
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.?Custom 1.5" DOM with Welded 7/8-18" Bungs
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.?Chevy TRE
e-Any other informationTie Rod 46 1/2" bung to bung, Drag Link 23-1/2" bung to bung

**.Links to your pictures**http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166509

New Questions Submitted:
-total lift after swap 7" Front and Rear
-max tire size after swap 35-37" With Bumper trimmed
-what axle used in swap? year etc? 78 Dana 44 HP Bronco 5x5.5 TTB outter brakes, hubs, locks
-# of leafs in pack? 4 per pack with 3" angled block
-did you use an angles shim to correct caster? if so, how much? 3" Angled block
-u-bolts pointed up or down? UP 12"x3.25" Ubolts
-did you lengthen your driveshaft? Front No Rear No
-total cost? (Include list of specific parts cost if possible) 3500 in parts/1000-1500 in new tools see my thread for parts list
- other? I install my own gears
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: F100,460, 1tons, 203/205 doubler, sitting on 42" pitbull rockers.
D60 SAS

1. What is your wheelbase after your SAS? 110"
a -Any problems encountered?N/a
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? (other than radius arm bracket and trac bar bracket placement)N/a
c-Any other information.N/a

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down)N/a
a-Any problems encountered?N/a
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were?Yes
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? Fox 2.5 coil overs 16"
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use?Custom Dom hoop
e-Any other informationN/a

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed)N/a
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down)100lbs coil on top /300lbs on the bottom
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower)Custom hoop
c-Any other informationN/a

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable)N/a
a-Did you make, buy, or modify a stock upper trac bar mount?N/a
b-Are you using the stock lower mount or a custom lower? (If custom, what is the distance from the top of the axle to the trac bar hole)N/a
c-What are you using for a trac bar? (Modified stock, Custom, Adjustable, etc)N/a
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?3.0 forge Ballistic joints

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable)3"
a-Did you make, buy or modify a stock radius arm bracket? Custom link mounts
b-Did you angle it back to take away some stress on the bushing at ride height? (If so, how much?)N/a
c-Are you using stock radius arm, aftermarket, extensions, or another setup?Custom 4 link
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?3.0 Ballistic joints
e-What degree C Bushing did you use? (Rubber/Poly)N/a
f-Any other informationN/a

6. How much drop on your pitman arm?N/a
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...?N/a
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.?Custom Full hydro from PSC
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.?Hiems

New Questions Submitted:
-total lift after swap 6"
-max tire size after swap 44"
-What shackle used _
-# of leafs in pack? _

D44 SAS

1. What is your wheelbase after your SAS? 110"
a -Any problems encountered?
b-Any other mods needed to achieve the wheelbase? (other than radius arm bracket and trac bar bracket placement)N/A
c-Any other information.N/A

2. What is the measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the engine crossmember?. (the flat part, not what hangs down)
b-Did you have cut the crossmember where the ttb brackets were?Yes
c-What brand/Size coils/leafs did you use? 6" Super flex 300lbs coils
d-What coil buckets/mounts (Upper/Lower) did you use? Stock 79
e-Any other informationN/A

3. What is the length of your shocks? (Extended/Collapsed)14" Bilstein 5150's
a-How do you have it setup? (Inches up vs. Inches down)4" up travel
b-What mounts are you using? (Upper/Lower)F250 shock towers_
c-Any other informationN/A

4. How far down from the frame is your upper trac bar hole? (If applicable)4.125"
a-Did you make, buy, or modify a stock upper trac bar mount? Made
b-Are you using the stock lower mount or a custom lower? (If custom, what is the distance from the top of the axle to the trac bar hole)Custom, 3 5/8th"
c-What are you using for a trac bar? (Modified stock, Custom, Adjustable, etc)Custom, 1.5" OD .250 wall Dom
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims? 3/4 x3/4 Fk hiems

5. How far down from the frame is your radius arm bracket hole? (if applicable)Whatever the stock bracket is
a-Did you make, buy or modify a stock radius arm bracket? Used stock Radius arm bracket
b-Did you angle it back to take away some stress on the bushing at ride height? (If so, how much?)No
c-Are you using stock radius arm, aftermarket, extensions, or another setup?Stock arms with B&T extensions
d-Bushings (rubber/poly) or heims?poly bushings
e-What degree C Bushing did you use? (Rubber/Poly)7*
f-Any other informationN/A

6. How much drop on your pitman arm?N/A
a-Stock, Aftermarket, F350 pitman arm, etc...?Stock
b-Is your drag link and tie rod custom, modified stock etc.? Custom 1.5" OD .250 wall Dom
c-Heims, Ford TRE's, Chevy TRE's, etc.?Chevy TRE's

New Questions Submitted:
-total lift after swap 8 inches
-max tire size after swap 42's
-distance from ground to where front of the leaf spring mounts N/A
-What shackle used _
-# of leafs in pack? _

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode