Rethinking My SAS - Page 17 - Ford Bronco Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #321 of 360 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
still trying to chase down the mysterious popping sound..double checked and tightened bolts, looked for cracks and nothing obvious is presenting itself as the cause..Was beginning to think that it might actually be the passenger side engine mount, but it's not doing it when you'd expect it to if that were the case, i.e. under acceleration. If it were a mount, I'd think it would make the sound every time I hit the gas..it doesn't..

best solution here would be to get it on a lift and see what the front is doing. now I'm back to thinking that it might be the mount on the axle for the track bar..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #322 of 360 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:25 AM

Bronco Info: 93 351W, SAS w/ 60s f/r
I know how these anomalies can literally drive you nuts. You said that you changed you track bar bushings and you would've noticed if the bolt was loose. Im sure you checked the hardware for the coil buckets, but how is you chassis? Have you made sure the chassis is not rusted or have cracks from bolt holes to bolt holes? The other area that has me thinkings is the chassis where the gear box mounts. I remember reading awhile ago one person had that area cracked and made a steering gearbox brace.
post #323 of 360 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Turd View Post
I know how these anomalies can literally drive you nuts. You said that you changed you track bar bushings and you would've noticed if the bolt was loose. Im sure you checked the hardware for the coil buckets, but how is you chassis? Have you made sure the chassis is not rusted or have cracks from bolt holes to bolt holes? The other area that has me thinkings is the chassis where the gear box mounts. I remember reading awhile ago one person had that area cracked and made a steering gearbox brace.
yeah, I've been up and down the chassis from where the radius arms mount all the way forward and can't find any visible cracks..the noise comes from the passenger side so that would effectively eliminate the steering box location from the equation. there might have a been a slight amount of play on the track bar mount bolt, but I don't know if it's would have been enough to cause what I'm hearing, which again sounds like a coil spring popping..

post #324 of 360 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:46 PM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Did you ever post any pics where we can see your trackbar to axle setup?

post #325 of 360 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
Did you ever post any pics where we can see your trackbar to axle setup?
Not yet, I've got a couple of pics of the axle but nothing focusing right on the trackbar to axle mount. I can grab a couple when I get home.
post #326 of 360 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Went on a camping trip with some buddies this weekend which involved a 70 mile round trip drive in the Bronco..covered highway and some backwoods rutted trails and washboard. I can tell a huge difference in the manners of the suspension with the new bushings, ball joints and rod ends. It's so much better, and cruising down the highway at 75 there was hardly any of the pull that I described earlier. One of the other things I had done was replaced the hardware on the rear shackles. The oringinal bolts were scraping on the shackle mounts and I'm pretty sure they were tightened way too much causing binding in the leaves. long story short, even on the rough roads back to the camp site, the suspension felt really smooth..

on the down side, the popping noise seems worse. after reading some information I think it's got to be somewhere in the engine cross member, either a bad weld or loose rivet that I can't see. I'm going to take it up to my 4x4 shop and have them stick it on a lift..I'm pretty sure it should be easy to isolate that way.

stay tuned.
post #327 of 360 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:52 PM

I had the popping noise on my truck. It was a loose rivet on the drivers side of the engine cross member. The one that is right behind the gearbox. You could see the crossmember move when someone would turn the wheel back and forth. Good luck.
post #328 of 360 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest411 View Post
I had the popping noise on my truck. It was a loose rivet on the drivers side of the engine cross member. The one that is right behind the gearbox. You could see the crossmember move when someone would turn the wheel back and forth. Good luck.
I think I have the same thing going on just on the passenger side. Was looking last night and I may have identified the problem rivet.
post #329 of 360 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
track bar axle mount

post #330 of 360 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:26 PM
aka: kemicalburns

Bronco Info: 94 357/E4OD - ProC 6" stageII, 35"bfg AT, f/R 4.88's, Front Aussie locker, HS9500, sliders
Garage
Throw some paint on the suspect rivet. if there is movement you will then notice it
EMO42 likes this.

94 5.8/E4OD Edelbrock efi intake, jba headers, transgo shift kit. 6" PC stage II, 4.88 gears, front Aussie. Warn HS9500, custom bumper and sliders. RedHead steering and TieRod flip.
post #331 of 360 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisITGuy View Post
Throw some paint on the suspect rivet. if there is movement you will then notice it
good call..over the weekend I shot a bunch of video of passenger side from different angles. From the front there doesn't appear to be any movement in the cross member. I still think it has something to do with the spring. just haven't been able to isolate it yet.
post #332 of 360 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
I think I've narrowed down the popping sound to the body mount on the passenger side. when the new mounts were installed they must have trashed the lower retainers. on top of that they didn't use the correct washers. Yesterday I removed the bolts and the retainer is not there. I'm sure that's allowing the bolts to shift around inside the mounts. Best source I've found is Bronco graveyard, going to order a couple and see if that does the trick.

huck2080 likes this.
post #333 of 360 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
rather than pay Bronco Graveyard for these retainers, I decided to make my own. Got a large washer, about the diameter of the body mount and a metal sleeve I had left over. Welded the sleeve onto the washer and then inserted it through the mount with another larger washer in between to squeeze everything together.

This is what looked like before I welded it. It wasn't quite big enough to take up the inside of the mount, but it seems to have done the trick.

Everything back together.

Took it for a spin around the neighborhood and it didn't pop once..hopefully this problem is solved..
Elliott000 likes this.
post #334 of 360 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:05 AM

Bronco Info: 93 351W, SAS w/ 60s f/r
Wow, thats twice you found something wrong on the body mounts after you had them replaced. It makes you want to redo or remove and inspect all the mounts to find out what else they missed. Well, the bright side is your steering is new, you have new bushings up front, and now it doesn't make anymore noise.
post #335 of 360 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Turd View Post
Wow, thats twice you found something wrong on the body mounts after you had them replaced. It makes you want to redo or remove and inspect all the mounts to find out what else they missed. Well, the bright side is your steering is new, you have new bushings up front, and now it doesn't make anymore noise.
Still amazed I was able to figure it out...drove it again last night to be sure it wasn't my imagination and the popping was gone..kept expecting to hear it every time I turned..other than the creak of the springs, nothing. maybe it's my imagination but it seems to ride better as well..

You're right, I'm going to go back through and recheck each of the mounts. Even though the drivers side isn't making any noise, I'd be willing to bet the retainer is missing from that side as well.
post #336 of 360 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:26 AM

Glad to see that you were able to finally get rid of the popping sound. Way to stick with it.

1990 Eddie Bauer Bronco
2004 Harley F250 with some odds and ends
post #337 of 360 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
did the same thing on the drivers side with the body mount, was able to fab up another modified washer/sleeve combo and install it yesterday..for some reason the drivers side wasn't popping, but I figured it couldn't hurt to have the added support on that mount as well...

for some reason, and again maybe it's my imagination, but the ride seems much better. even feels like it's tracking straighter if that's possible..
post #338 of 360 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
beat the crap out of my rig over the weekend. bouncing all over the place and as much off camber stuff as I could find..other than the normal creaks and groans you'd expect it never made the popping noise..I'd call this fix good..

post #339 of 360 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Alignment numbers

Decided to have the alignment checked at a shop close to work..was pretty happy with the numbers all things considered. I knew there was a camber issue on the passenger side and this confirmed it, so I'll be using the spindle shim to bring it back about half a degree negative..that should hopefully correct the problem..also going to order a new steering box..this crappy a** reman I got from advance already has play in it..

Front Camber Drivers Side 0.2, passenger 0.8, overall camber -0.6
Toe Drivers side 0.09, passenger 0.01
post #340 of 360 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 PM

Bronco Info: 1993 EB 5.8, eaod on 35"km2's 4" BDS lift. stock cats with glass pack muffler, axle code H9.
awesome you got it sorted out!

Congrats.
Bob

current Bronco 1993

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode