Rethinking My SAS - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 PM
shibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
To test the theory about the axle possibly not being parallel, I got some string and ran it from the left side of the (drivers side)pumpkin to the rear axle tube got a measurment of 104 inches, did the same measurement on the passenger side of the front and real axles and got 102 and 1/2 inches, granted this was probably not the most scientific method for measuring but clearly the drivers side is out in front of the passenger side by about an inch and a half.
That's a significant amount. It'll constantly want to travel in an arc to the right. Now the trick is to figure out what needs to move where. I'd measure from known similar points on the frame to the axle tubes. Most likely using the nubs sticking down from the bottom of the frame rails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustball View Post
That's a significant amount. It'll constantly want to travel in an arc to the right. Now the trick is to figure out what needs to move where. I'd measure from known similar points on the frame to the axle tubes. Most likely using the nubs sticking down from the bottom of the frame rails.
yea.

If it can be confirmed the rear axle is straight compared with frame, then of course it's the front setup.

with this in mind, back to the tire pics, did you say you only have like 5k on your tires?

Edit: As an FYI Jeremy, the cage arms with heim would be nice at this point since if you are off by 1+" inches, well, just another reason to ditch those RA brackets you have and go with cage RA's, carefully measure as to where to put the frame mounts, and even then, the heim on each side will let you "fine tune" your setup......I don't know if you remember me mentioning that I just re-did my C bushings...well I took the opportunity to measure my wheelbase and adjust via heim 1 turn out passenger, 1 turn in driver (combined though, with the thread per inch on these, this only equates to a total change of just under 1/4").

post #43 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
I agree, I'm going to take you rec and do that this weekend. Where on the axle tube would be the best place to measure to?

Quote:

Yes, my tires actually have less than 5K on them. The rears look almost brandnew compared to the front.

I agree about the cage arms. My main concern is knowing what my limitations are with all things suspension related, and recognizing that I need someone with more knowledge than me to do the actual work. If it were mechanical that would be a different story. You guys have provided a lot of useful info that has definitely gotten me further than where I was before.

I'm trying to come to grips with the prospect of spending $800 or so dollars on the Cage arms rather than just fixing what I have. The fact that the Cages are adjustable is really attractive, but for the amount I wheel this thing it may not be worth the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
yea.

If it can be confirmed the rear axle is straight compared with frame, then of course it's the front setup.

with this in mind, back to the tire pics, did you say you only have like 5k on your tires?

Edit: As an FYI Jeremy, the cage arms with heim would be nice at this point since if you are off by 1+" inches, well, just another reason to ditch those RA brackets you have and go with cage RA's, carefully measure as to where to put the frame mounts, and even then, the heim on each side will let you "fine tune" your setup......I don't know if you remember me mentioning that I just re-did my C bushings...well I took the opportunity to measure my wheelbase and adjust via heim 1 turn out passenger, 1 turn in driver (combined though, with the thread per inch on these, this only equates to a total change of just under 1/4").

post #44 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:28 AM
negative creep

Bronco Info: bronco with seats and a steering wheel
i have a sneaking suspicion that your radius arm brackets are just in the wrong spot. i'm assuming that you're not completely useless with a measuring tape, but i would want to get the axle in the right spot before i go spending $800 on a new set of arms you don't even need.

post #45 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
I can tell you Jeremy, that is crazy bad wear on those tires. Your tires basically look like my fronts do (I never rotated either), but, I got around 21k on my fronts (which I still consider mediocre compared with the rear).

You've really been getting bad scrub on those fronts. Not just unusual wear, but also the whole wear down that much with so few miles.

post #46 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
I think you're probably right, and thanks for the vote of confidence.. I definitely don't want to go dropping that kind of $$ if I don't need to, at this point I'm going to need it for tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy351 View Post
i have a sneaking suspicion that your radius arm brackets are just in the wrong spot. i'm assuming that you're not completely useless with a measuring tape, but i would want to get the axle in the right spot before i go spending $800 on a new set of arms you don't even need.
That's what I was afraid, it's a good thing the Bronco doesn't see too many mile otherwise they would probably be bald by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
I can tell you Jeremy, that is crazy bad wear on those tires. Your tires basically look like my fronts do (I never rotated either), but, I got around 21k on my fronts (which I still consider mediocre compared with the rear).

You've really been getting bad scrub on those fronts. Not just unusual wear, but also the whole wear down that much with so few miles.
post #47 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Owned 21 Years

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check with him sometime this week.

Here are the pics of the tire wear, this is about the best I can do, the first is the passenger side, you can clearly see the difference in wear.

This is the drivers side you can see how much more evenly its wearing.

To test the theory about the axle possibly not being parallel, I got some string and ran it from the left side of the (drivers side)pumpkin to the rear axle tube got a measurment of 104 inches, did the same measurement on the passenger side of the front and real axles and got 102 and 1/2 inches, granted this was probably not the most scientific method for measuring but clearly the drivers side is out in front of the passenger side by about an inch and a half.
Just so you can get an idea, here's 1 of my fronts after 21k:

Trust me, it's still not wearing "evenly" in how it's wearing, but I really plan to rotate my tires this time around, that will make a big difference. Main thing I wanted to show you is that you actually have worn your tire farther after 5k than I did in 21k, so it's got to be scrubbing/dragging badly, something is bad off up front.

post #48 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:39 PM
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
with the passenger side being back 1.5" your passenger side tire is scrubbing the pavement when your driving. because your being forced to turn left to go straight.

'01 F250, 444ci of straight piped oil burning fun. 4x4, 6 spd, GTP38R noise maker, Stage 2 injektorz. Lotsa fun!

Let's Go Fishing.
post #49 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
I can totally see what you're talking about now.. I definitely need to get this straightened out, literally.
post #50 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:42 PM
gone fish'n

Quote:
I can totally see what you're talking about now.. I definitely need to get this straightened out, literally.
I am drafting up your bill now. Where shall I send it?

'01 F250, 444ci of straight piped oil burning fun. 4x4, 6 spd, GTP38R noise maker, Stage 2 injektorz. Lotsa fun!

Let's Go Fishing.
post #51 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
That makes complete sense to me now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopes View Post
with the passenger side being back 1.5" your passenger side tire is scrubbing the pavement when your driving. because your being forced to turn left to go straight.
post #52 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Banned

Bronco Info: '89 351 c-6 leaf sas kp d60wzip locker 14bolt 42x15x15 rockers 5.38s
Quote:
Quote:
If this were a non steering axle you guys would be correct. In this case, a crooked front in itself won't cause wear, or pulling.
post #53 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 06:08 PM
gone fish'n

Dan, draw yourself a picture, I am fairly confident this is whats causing his tire wear.

in order for him to go straight he has to turn the wheel a little to the left all the time. this puts the passenger side tire scrubbing the pavement all the time.

Let's Go Fishing.
post #54 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Owned 21 Years

Quote:
Dan, draw yourself a picture, I am fairly confident this is whats causing his tire wear.

in order for him to go straight he has to turn the wheel a little to the left all the time. this puts the passenger side tire scrubbing the pavement all the time.
Jopes, while I agree this is likely the cause, it's not because of the steering always being turned.....this is how I visualize it:

I
--------I

I-------I

So going straight, it can be going straight in the front, just by aligning the front wheels...toe and straight forward on the tires. However, with any turning and a front axle not being parallel, every time you turn I can see a lot of added problems with tire wear up front.

And again, back to the whole detroit pull discussion, I'd think that an uneven wheelbase would accentuate the rear detroit pull to one side as well.

post #55 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:20 PM

Bronco Info: 95 xl 351 d60/10.25
jer, if you need help fixing this, let me know.
also, summit racing has those tires cheaper than anybody around here that i could find. they only charged 9 bucks extra a tire to ship them.

i hope to have mine done this weekend. we need to start wheeling again.

Five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burgular alarm.
http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...il.php?id=2616

post #56 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: F100,460, 1tons, 203/205 doubler, sitting on 42" pitbull rockers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHead View Post
also, summit racing has those tires cheaper than anybody around here that i could find. they only charged 9 bucks extra a tire to ship them.

Count me in Alan

post #57 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Thanks Jopes, sending you my address now..

Quote:
Alan, if this is something you think we could easily do in the driveway that would be great. You going to be up in Jax any time soon..I definitely don't want to be taking any long trips with the steering the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHead View Post

post #58 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:13 PM

Bronco Info: 95 xl 351 d60/10.25
depends on how soon you need this done.
after aug. 10th, i might have a lot of free time.
you would need a 220v outlet for the welder so we could re-enforce those radius arm brackets.
sounds like you just have to move one of the radius arm brackets back or forward and inch or so. thats just gonna mean drilling new holes in the frame.

Five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burgular alarm.
http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...il.php?id=2616

post #59 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:26 PM
shibby

Quote:
Hey hey hey, I'm the one who brought it up first. Stealing the glory
post #60 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:55 PM
gone fish'n

Quote:
Hey hey hey, I'm the one who brought it up first. Stealing the glory
hey, it's not my fault your billing system sucks.

Maybe next time you will not use those off shore people.

Let's Go Fishing.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode