Rethinking My SAS - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 02:00 AM
Banned

Bronco Info: '89 351 c-6 leaf sas kp d60wzip locker 14bolt 42x15x15 rockers 5.38s
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopes View Post
Dan, draw yourself a picture, I am fairly confident this is whats causing his tire wear.

in order for him to go straight he has to turn the wheel a little to the left all the time. this puts the passenger side tire scrubbing the pavement all the time.
I don't want to sound like a know it all, but when it comes to alignment, I pretty much know it all. That's what I do for a living. If the axle is cocked, the front tires are always going to center once you start rolling down the road. Pretty much the only two angles that can cause wear are toe, and camber. If the wear is only on one side it has to be from camber. If it were from toe, it would be on both tires. It might be hard to visualize, and if you don't believe me, that's o.k. I've tried giving the o.p. a couple of what I thought were good pointers, that he didn't seem interested in. I'll just frustrate myself arguing with people who are probably just speculating, and have no practical experience. I think I'll go pout now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 02:11 AM
shibby

If a plane is on a treadmill, does it take off?

That's what this reminds me of.
post #63 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
No rush...I'm not really driving it that much right now so it can definitely wait..I'm actually going to have an electician come out and put a 220 in in the next week or two so that won't be a problem..Just let me know when you have some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHead View Post
depends on how soon you need this done.
after aug. 10th, i might have a lot of free time.
you would need a 220v outlet for the welder so we could re-enforce those radius arm brackets.
sounds like you just have to move one of the radius arm brackets back or forward and inch or so. thats just gonna mean drilling new holes in the frame.
Dan I'm definitely not an alignment expert, nor do I claim to be one. Clearly you know a lot about this and, the information you've posted here has been helpful. I'm going to try to solve one problem at a time based on what I know, and right now it's pretty clear that the axle is cocked. Once that is straightened out and I can get a proper alignment on the front I'll go back and address the camber issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Theman View Post
I don't want to sound like a know it all, but when it comes to alignment, I pretty much know it all. That's what I do for a living. If the axle is cocked, the front tires are always going to center once you start rolling down the road. Pretty much the only two angles that can cause wear are toe, and camber. If the wear is only on one side it has to be from camber. If it were from toe, it would be on both tires. It might be hard to visualize, and if you don't believe me, that's o.k. I've tried giving the o.p. a couple of what I thought were good pointers, that he didn't seem interested in. I'll just frustrate myself arguing with people who are probably just speculating, and have no practical experience. I think I'll go pout now.

post #64 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
Dust, what do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustball View Post

post #65 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:55 AM
shibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
Dust, what do you mean?
Hmm, someone who hasn't heard of the plane/treadmill. http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=plane+treadmill

The bickering back and forth on what is causing the pull and tire wear in this thread reminds me of the arguing that went on with the plane/treadmill question.
post #66 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Banned

Bronco Info: '89 351 c-6 leaf sas kp d60wzip locker 14bolt 42x15x15 rockers 5.38s
Quote:

hhhmmmmmm...... must be a really big treadmill.... or really little plane.....I don't think it would take off
Quote:

Dan I'm definitely not an alignment expert, nor do I claim to be one. Clearly you know a lot about this and, the information you've posted here has been helpful. I'm going to try to solve one problem at a time based on what I know, and right now it's pretty clear that the axle is cocked. Once that is straightened out and I can get a proper alignment on the front I'll go back and address the camber issue.
The camber issue is part of the alignment. I thought you were going to take it to a shop and get some measurements again. Did I mention that some shops (mine for example) will give you measurements for free? My point is, that you don't necessarily have to straighten the front axle before you fix the alignment. It wouldn't be a bad idea to fix it, But I align vehicles with crooked fronts, rears, or both all the time. For me, the bad wear ( and possibly pulling, I'm still not clear if it does pull) would be a bigger issue. I'm not trying to be an a$$, It just seemed like there was a whole lot of guessing going on, and I thought I could help with more than guessing.
post #67 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Now that you mention it, I do recall that thread...it hasn't gotten that bad here though..

Quote:
Hmm, someone who hasn't heard of the plane/treadmill. http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=plane+treadmill

The bickering back and forth on what is causing the pull and tire wear in this thread reminds me of the arguing that went on with the plane/treadmill question.

I'm going to see if I can get it up to a shop this weekend to get them to pull some measurements on the front end, then we'll go from there.

Quote:
hhhmmmmmm...... must be a really big treadmill.... or really little plane.....I don't think it would take off

The camber issue is part of the alignment. I thought you were going to take it to a shop and get some measurements again. Did I mention that some shops (mine for example) will give you measurements for free? My point is, that you don't necessarily have to straighten the front axle before you fix the alignment. It wouldn't be a bad idea to fix it, But I align vehicles with crooked fronts, rears, or both all the time. For me, the bad wear ( and possibly pulling, I'm still not clear if it does pull) would be a bigger issue. I'm not trying to be an a$$, It just seemed like there was a whole lot of guessing going on, and I thought I could help with more than guessing.
post #68 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
What a complete waste of my time this morning..took the Bronco up to the tire place down the road from me and the guy said he couldn't get me the numbers that I needed to determine the location of the front axle..He suggeted taking it to a frame shop..I found another place not too far away called Overbuilt Customs. Looks like they do mostly heeps and vintage stuff but a solid axle is a solid axle. Hopefully I can get it over to them next week to have a look.
post #69 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
What a complete waste of my time this morning..took the Bronco up to the tire place down the road from me and the guy said he couldn't get me the numbers that I needed to determine the location of the front axle..He suggeted taking it to a frame shop..I found another place not too far away called Overbuilt Customs. Looks like they do mostly heeps and vintage stuff but a solid axle is a solid axle. Hopefully I can get it over to them next week to have a look.
You need a different shop. He either didn't want to help you or ( more likely) he didn't know how. I hate to say it, but most alignment guys I've worked with, don't really know how to do alignments. They can run the machine, witch is sufficient 90% of the time. Any independent thought or anything outside of ordinary, and they're lost. You don't have to go to a frame shop to get measurements. It's frustrating to me because he literally only has to push a couple of keys on the keyboard, after he measures caster. Call around and ask to talk to the alignment guy. Tell him you're having trouble finding someone who can measure set back. It's stupid, but I could even tell you what to tell him to push, but that would probably just piss him off. You've got to have someone in that town that can do it I wish I could help.
post #70 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Dan, thanks for the input. You're right the guys at this shop really didn't seem to have a clue as to what I was talking about. He kept saying he could take measurements of the back axle but that wouldn't do anything to tell me what's going on with the front axle..I'm going to check around again during the week.

Quote:
You need a different shop. He either didn't want to help you or ( more likely) he didn't know how. I hate to say it, but most alignment guys I've worked with, don't really know how to do alignments. They can run the machine, witch is sufficient 90% of the time. Any independent thought or anything outside of ordinary, and they're lost. You don't have to go to a frame shop to get measurements. It's frustrating to me because he literally only has to push a couple of keys on the keyboard, after he measures caster. Call around and ask to talk to the alignment guy. Tell him you're having trouble finding someone who can measure set back. It's stupid, but I could even tell you what to tell him to push, but that would probably just piss him off. You've got to have someone in that town that can do it I wish I could help.
post #71 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
shop was probably going to simply look at the "4 wheel alignment"...check drivers side, check passenger side, distance between axles to make sure they are parallel.

post #72 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
shop was probably going to simply look at the "4 wheel alignment"...check drivers side, check passenger side, distance between axles to make sure they are parallel.
Actually Clavin, a 4 wheel alignment only applies to vehicles with independent rear suspension and adjustments on the rear. On a solid rear axle vehicle they perform a thrust angle alignment. If your thrust angle is off, it will tell you. The aligner is able to compensate for that (they're almost always off a little). After he measures caster all the jackass has to do is measure symmetry/axle setback. You have to tell the aligner to measure that, and he probably doesn't know how.
post #73 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
What ever the reason, this place was simply unable to do what I needed them to. There is a shop clear across town that knows 4wheel drive vehicles but I don't have the time to go all the way over there.
post #74 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:38 PM

Bronco Info: '82 Lariat, 302 Roller, 4BBl Holley 600CFM, 33" BFG AT's
Jeremy,
Have you tried Hedgehog over on Blanding yet?
I know they do alot of 4x4 work so they should be able to hook you up.
post #75 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
I was talking to someone the other day about hedgehog, can't remember who and I didn't get very good feedback. I talked to the guy from this Overbuilt Customs place and he seems to know his stuff, so....I'm going to take it over there and leave it with him for a few days and see what he can find out.
post #76 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: F100,460, 1tons, 203/205 doubler, sitting on 42" pitbull rockers.
Try Terra traction ask for David they are on the northside of town

david@terratraction.com

David used to work with Dan @ BTF

post #77 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Thanks John, I'll give him a try if this other place doesn't pan out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass1tonf100 View Post
Try Terra traction ask for David they are on the northside of town

david@terratraction.com

David used to work with Dan @ BTF
post #78 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Finally someone who knows what they're doing..I just got back from meeting with Brad at Overbuilt Customs, he does mostly Jeep work but the guy knows his stuff. He spent 1/2 hour of his time in almost 100 degree heat taking measurements and checking everything on the front end, so here is what we have, there is a 1/2 inch difference between the drivers side and the passenger side, the drivers side is sitting forward about a half inch. There is a half degree of negative camber on the passenger side. These two elements combined he said are giving me the sh**ty driving characteristics.

What needs to be done, he is going to first get the axle sitting straight under the rig then put some gussets on the R/A brackets. After that he recommended that I take it to a large truck place that can straighten out the actual axle, he couldn't find a bend but the negative camber issue definitely needs to be addressed. All in all I'm happy even though nothing actually got done today I have a plan of action.
post #79 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Finally someone who knows what they're doing..I just got back from meeting with Brad at Overbuilt Customs, he does mostly Jeep work but the guy knows his stuff. He spent 1/2 hour of his time in almost 100 degree heat taking measurements and checking everything on the front end, so here is what we have, there is a 1/2 inch difference between the drivers side and the passenger side, the drivers side is sitting forward about a half inch. There is a half degree of negative camber on the passenger side. These two elements combined he said are giving me the sh**ty driving characteristics.

What needs to be done, he is going to first get the axle sitting straight under the rig then put some gussets on the R/A brackets. After that he recommended that I take it to a large truck place that can straighten out the actual axle, he couldn't find a bend but the negative camber issue definitely needs to be addressed. All in all I'm happy even though nothing actually got done today I have a plan of action.
.5* isn't a whole lot. That's good news. I don't know if you're aware but they do make correction parts for those. Run about $20 each, I charge about $35 to install plus alignment ($56.95) at my shop.
post #80 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
I knew they had correction parts for that but two of the other places I had been to couldn't find/locate them. Are you saying that part would fix the half degree neg camber on the passenger side? If so, do you have a P/N?

Quote:
.5* isn't a whole lot. That's good news. I don't know if you're aware but they do make correction parts for those. Run about $20 each, I charge about $35 to install plus alignment ($56.95) at my shop.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode