Rethinking My SAS - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,311
Bronco Info: '89 351 c-6 leaf sas kp d60wzip locker 14bolt 42x15x15 rockers 5.38s
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
I knew they had correction parts for that but two of the other places I had been to couldn't find/locate them. Are you saying that part would fix the half degree neg camber on the passenger side? If so, do you have a P/N?
The size offset you need depends on what is currently in there. You may be able to just rotate what is in there. I don't know how to do the link thing, but go to specialty products, punch in your year, make, and model your axle came from. They have pics, and everything. There is a whole series of different sizes. You may have trouble finding someone who stocks them all. You might have to find some willing to pull you current sleeve, figure out what you need, order it, and then get you back in to install it. Don't let them charge you twice because they don't stock the part! If they haven't dealt with these they can be a pita. They do come with directions that make it easy to get the old one out.
Dan Theman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!
 
jermil01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: JAX, FLA
Posts: 13,883
Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
iTrader: (32)
Garage
Sounds good. Is that specialtyproducts.com? I know I removed these sleeves when I rebuilt the axle, it is possible that I didn't install the passenger side to the proper specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Theman View Post
The size offset you need depends on what is currently in there. You may be able to just rotate what is in there. I don't know how to do the link thing, but go to specialty products, punch in your year, make, and model your axle came from. They have pics, and everything. There is a whole series of different sizes. You may have trouble finding someone who stocks them all. You might have to find some willing to pull you current sleeve, figure out what you need, order it, and then get you back in to install it. Don't let them charge you twice because they don't stock the part! If they haven't dealt with these they can be a pita. They do come with directions that make it easy to get the old one out.
jermil01 is offline  
post #83 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,311
Bronco Info: '89 351 c-6 leaf sas kp d60wzip locker 14bolt 42x15x15 rockers 5.38s
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
Sounds good. Is that specialtyproducts.com? I know I removed these sleeves when I rebuilt the axle, it is possible that I didn't install the passenger side to the proper specs.
Quite possible. Try this http://spcalignment.com/PROD_DIR/SPC...2=23000*&cmd3=
I did it! I don't suck quite as bad at the internet.
Dan Theman is offline  
 
post #84 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!
 
jermil01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: JAX, FLA
Posts: 13,883
Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
iTrader: (32)
Garage
Perfect that looks to be exactly what I need. They have one that adjusts to 1/2 degree so I'm going to get one of those for the passenger side and hopefully that will solve the camber problem.
jermil01 is offline  
post #85 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Owned 21 Years
 
Shadofax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: where havn't I lived? Now in Erie, CO
Posts: 17,276
Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
iTrader: (17)


step 34, sounds right....torque threaded sleeve to 50ftlbs.

Might be a good install to do a quick writeup on.

When you did new balljoints upon installing your solid axle, you should have had new sleeves as well (I know I did), and I'm sure those were basically a zero sleeve.

______________________
Click my supermotors link for tech on TCase, SAS, OBA, Soft Top, Overhead Console, Stock bumper Winch install, much more..:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628



Shadofax is offline  
post #86 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,311
Bronco Info: '89 351 c-6 leaf sas kp d60wzip locker 14bolt 42x15x15 rockers 5.38s
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
Perfect that looks to be exactly what I need. They have one that adjusts to 1/2 degree so I'm going to get one of those for the passenger side and hopefully that will solve the camber problem.
the problem with that is you may have a 1/2 degree one in there, just facing in. If you turn it facing out, you'd be running + 1/2 degree. If you turned it facing back, you would gain caster and camber. You really need to know what is in there, and witch way it's facing. If you have a 0 offset one in there, then the 1/2 degree one would help. If you got the spanner tool, and you have measurements of caster and camber how it sits right now, I could walk you through pulling it , figuring out witch one you need, and getting it back in the right way. Then you would just have to get the toe double checked. I could only do that if you have a printout of how it sits right now. If you payed for an alignment today, they may re-check it for free (ours are good for 30 days)
Dan Theman is offline  
post #87 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,311
Bronco Info: '89 351 c-6 leaf sas kp d60wzip locker 14bolt 42x15x15 rockers 5.38s
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
step 34, sounds right....torque threaded sleeve to 50ftlbs.

Might be a good install to do a quick writeup on.

When you did new balljoints upon installing your solid axle, you should have had new sleeves as well (I know I did), and I'm sure those were basically a zero sleeve.
I'm not sure if you're suggesting removing the knuckle to get to the sleeve, but if so, that's not necessary.
Dan Theman is offline  
post #88 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Owned 21 Years
 
Shadofax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: where havn't I lived? Now in Erie, CO
Posts: 17,276
Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
iTrader: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Theman View Post
I'm not sure if you're suggesting removing the knuckle to get to the sleeve, but if so, that's not necessary.
no, suggesting torque of the sleeve should be about 50ft lbs on install (just step 34 on that sheet) ,which will also likely be about 1/8" as per the instructions on line, the sleeve gets tighter as it's turned in, as I recall.

was also suggesting he does not have to worry about what is in there currently. If he got new ball joints with new sleeves when refreshing his old solid axle, I can't imagine anything but a zero * coming with a new balljoint, unless you were at a shop and specified otherwise. So I'm betting he's starting from zero.

______________________
Click my supermotors link for tech on TCase, SAS, OBA, Soft Top, Overhead Console, Stock bumper Winch install, much more..:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628



Shadofax is offline  
post #89 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,311
Bronco Info: '89 351 c-6 leaf sas kp d60wzip locker 14bolt 42x15x15 rockers 5.38s
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
no, suggesting torque of the sleeve should be about 50ft lbs on install (just step 34 on that sheet) ,which will also likely be about 1/8" as per the instructions on line, the sleeve gets tighter as it's turned in, as I recall.

was also suggesting he does not have to worry about what is in there currently. If he got new ball joints with new sleeves when refreshing his old solid axle, I can't imagine anything but a zero * coming with a new balljoint, unless you were at a shop and specified otherwise. So I'm betting he's starting from zero.
Makes sense. I didn't think of that.
Dan Theman is offline  
post #90 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Owned 21 Years
 
Shadofax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: where havn't I lived? Now in Erie, CO
Posts: 17,276
Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
iTrader: (17)
that's a good site link though. I'll be interested to see what jeremy's price is. I need to take my truck to the alignment shop since doing a bunch of frontend work (I want current numbers on toe, camber, caster). If I am running a bit more + camber than I'd like, I know where to get the sleeves in nice 1/8th" increments to fine tune the front some more (I'd do this install, not the shop, I'd only let the shop adjust toe for me since I'm only as accurate as my garage tools allow).

______________________
Click my supermotors link for tech on TCase, SAS, OBA, Soft Top, Overhead Console, Stock bumper Winch install, much more..:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628



Shadofax is offline  
post #91 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,311
Bronco Info: '89 351 c-6 leaf sas kp d60wzip locker 14bolt 42x15x15 rockers 5.38s
iTrader: (9)
They sell every kit imaginable. Even some for the kpd60.
Dan Theman is offline  
post #92 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!
 
jermil01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: JAX, FLA
Posts: 13,883
Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
iTrader: (32)
Garage
That is correct, when I did my balljoints I put the sleeves in that came with the axle, I'm sure they were zero sleeves. There is pretty detailed information on that site about installing the sleeve and making sure it's oriented correctly in the knuckle to give you the correct camber adjustment, in my case half a degree positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post

step 34, sounds right....torque threaded sleeve to 50ftlbs.

Might be a good install to do a quick writeup on.

When you did new balljoints upon installing your solid axle, you should have had new sleeves as well (I know I did), and I'm sure those were basically a zero sleeve.
The price I was quoted from this place was almost $27 bucks and that was before shipping for one of the sleeves, I'm only going to need one. The person I spoke with said they have a distributor locally that probably would carry them for less.
At this point I just want to have it done and finished, so I plan on paying someone to do the work, who knows maybe the guy would let me take some pics..

Now the $64K dollar question. Based on what I've posted, would you guys agree that installing the 1/2 degree sleeve coupled with relocating the R/A brackets should be sufficient to get my axle properly set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
that's a good site link though. I'll be interested to see what jeremy's price is. I need to take my truck to the alignment shop since doing a bunch of frontend work (I want current numbers on toe, camber, caster). If I am running a bit more + camber than I'd like, I know where to get the sleeves in nice 1/8th" increments to fine tune the front some more (I'd do this install, not the shop, I'd only let the shop adjust toe for me since I'm only as accurate as my garage tools allow).
jermil01 is offline  
post #93 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,311
Bronco Info: '89 351 c-6 leaf sas kp d60wzip locker 14bolt 42x15x15 rockers 5.38s
iTrader: (9)
It's a good start. I think I already mentioned though that negative camber causes inside edge wear, not outside. Either way these are both things that need to be taken care off. Good luck!
Dan Theman is offline  
post #94 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Owned 21 Years
 
Shadofax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: where havn't I lived? Now in Erie, CO
Posts: 17,276
Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
iTrader: (17)
yea, neg camber = inside edge of tire wear. However, your tires will wear funky up front with a front axle not parallel to the rear, so that will help (RA adjustment). ANDDDDDD, you need the RA brackets gusseted for sure. Time will tell at that point, but the damage is already done to the front tires. A new set will speak volumes on your success.

______________________
Click my supermotors link for tech on TCase, SAS, OBA, Soft Top, Overhead Console, Stock bumper Winch install, much more..:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628



Shadofax is offline  
post #95 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!
 
jermil01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: JAX, FLA
Posts: 13,883
Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
iTrader: (32)
Garage
So strictly based on my tire wear, it is clear that I have a positive camber issue, so I need to do 1/2 a degree negative with the sleeve. Guess I should have gone back and re-read from the beginning of the thread. Either way, those sleeves are good for adjusting both pos and neg camber depending on which way they're turned.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Theman View Post
It's a good start. I think I already mentioned though that negative camber causes inside edge wear, not outside. Either way these are both things that need to be taken care off. Good luck!
I'm planning on getting some new tires as soon as this is all sorted out. Clearly they're the the best albeit most expensive indicator of whether your axle is set up correctly. The plan is to do this camber sleeve, gusset the R/A brackets and move the front axle. Hopefully all of these combined will make my rig drive the way it should. Thanks again guys for all of the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
yea, neg camber = inside edge of tire wear. However, your tires will wear funky up front with a front axle not parallel to the rear, so that will help (RA adjustment). ANDDDDDD, you need the RA brackets gusseted for sure. Time will tell at that point, but the damage is already done to the front tires. A new set will speak volumes on your success.
jermil01 is offline  
post #96 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!
 
jermil01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: JAX, FLA
Posts: 13,883
Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
iTrader: (32)
Garage
Here is a pic of how the sleeves work. Seems pretty straightforward.

jermil01 is offline  
post #97 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Fullsize Member
 
moody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NE Fla
Posts: 489
Bronco Info: 96 5.8, incredibly boring and totally lacking any mods worth bragging about
iTrader: (1)
nothing to add, but wanted to say thanks to you guys since there is some good info here.

Can't wait for the exciting conclusion....
moody is offline  
post #98 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!
 
jermil01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: JAX, FLA
Posts: 13,883
Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
iTrader: (32)
Garage
Going to have to wait a week or two for the grand finale...The sleeve is coming from Colorado to a local distributor and I probably won't have it until some time next week. Final cost was around $20 bucks. After that everything should go pretty quickly so maybe the last week of the month. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again for all of the help.
jermil01 is offline  
post #99 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Fullsize Member
 
badass1tonf100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 14,630
Bronco Info: F100,460, 1tons, 203/205 doubler, sitting on 42" pitbull rockers.
iTrader: (94)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
Going to have to wait a week or two for the grand finale...The sleeve is coming from Colorado to a local distributor and I probably won't have it until some time next week. Final cost was around $20 bucks. After that everything should go pretty quickly so maybe the last week of the month. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again for all of the help.
That was the sleeve I was telling you about at Mike's place.. who's your distributor as Id like to buy one myself and ditch the spindle shim the alignment shop put on mine.

By the way Claycounty4x4 is having a meet and greet at Hooter's on Southside @ 7pm saturday the 18th

badass1tonf100 is offline  
post #100 of 360 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!
 
jermil01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: JAX, FLA
Posts: 13,883
Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
iTrader: (32)
Garage
Yeah I remember you mentioning that sleeve, what blows me away is that the one tire shop I took it to didn't bother with it and North Fl Offroad never bothered taking any measurements otherwise they would have know that was what I needed. Either way at least I know what the problem is now.

The place I ordered from is Florida Tire Supply over on Lane Ave, Westside, 904-693-0212. I spoke with Mike, nice guy and very helpful.

I'd like to make it up there on Saturday just not sure if we have other plans at this point. Are you going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass1tonf100 View Post
That was the sleeve I was telling you about at Mike's place.. who's your distributor as Id like to buy one myself and ditch the spindle shim the alignment shop put on mine.

By the way Claycounty4x4 is having a meet and greet at Hooter's on Southside @ 7pm saturday the 18th
jermil01 is offline  
Reply

  Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome