Rear Axle Guide - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 217 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 09:01 PM

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 351W/E4OD/1356 No lift 33" tires, Custom engine, exhuast, and electrical mods.
Just wanted to say thanks for this info has been a life saver. I'm about to put my 5th axle under my 96 xlt with 5.8 and auto xfer case...Thats right 5 axle assmbly. But this time putting my 9 inch from my 82 f150 under there and will be replacing the front axle to macth later in the month but needed to get the vss sorted first. Once i replce this I don;t want to have to do so again so getting rid of the 8.8 under mine now and put the 9. should take care of my problems. By the way if you are wondering each of my previous axles has been replced due to pinion gear rammed into carrier causing it to spilt in two each time and you can imangine the mess it made with the gears. and axles shafts and well everthing was toast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 217 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 09:39 PM
All I got for X-Mas was a

Bronco Info: '93 Custom 351W/E4OD/1356 4"Susp. 33" Tires. Now rockin the soft top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMmer77 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for this info has been a life saver. I'm about to put my 5th axle under my 96 xlt with 5.8 and auto xfer case...Thats right 5 axle assmbly. But this time putting my 9 inch from my 82 f150 under there and will be replacing the front axle to macth later in the month but needed to get the vss sorted first. Once i replce this I don;t want to have to do so again so getting rid of the 8.8 under mine now and put the 9. should take care of my problems. By the way if you are wondering each of my previous axles has been replced due to pinion gear rammed into carrier causing it to spilt in two each time and you can imangine the mess it made with the gears. and axles shafts and well everthing was toast.
So what ARE you doing to solve the VSS problem?

Baby Girl
My SuperCrap Site

"The Price Good Men Pay For Indifference To Public Affairs Is To Be Ruled By Evil Men"
-Plato
post #63 of 217 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 04:17 PM

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 351W/E4OD/1356 No lift 33" tires, Custom engine, exhuast, and electrical mods.
Well, some of the math was a little wrong on the vss usage he used. But I corrected that with what i needed. What I'm doing about it though is this. Since I'm going to install a diff cage on my 9 inch. I'm actually making it to allow for several various configurations for VSS. The size of the ring is irrelavant as was posted in the artical. But the issue was that the formula never took into account tire squat only the tire circumfrence based on the tire size. Ie I have 33x12.50.15 Super Swamper Thornbirds. With the tread actually work out to sit 35.7 inches tall once mounted to my AR 15x10. Or 38.3 inches tall when mounted on stock ford rims of 15x8, ( I know the 15.8 is really a 15x7.8, but that is how they are sold as 15x8) But the point is your never going to be perfect due to tread wear and rim mounting options as well as load or tire squat. You just base it on tire size of 33 inches. Using that the number of teeth works out mor acurratly. Also the tooth size as far as height and width of the point itself are factors. If you measure the tooth gap between current 8.8 and the point width then you can resize to any diameter you want. This will also maintain accuracy. The reaso you cannot just do like you can opn a pc image and just shrink everything in proportion is that the sensor itself still is maintaining a constant size and pulse rating.

Now for how it will be mounted. As was listed in the post on the site many large trucks use the same setup of mounting ring on drive axle or other appropriate location. Just have to compensate for the rotational speed difference in your calculations. I haven't completed the assembly design yet but I'm considering several different options. Either remove ring of one of my old carriers which i keep as a constant reminder. Or make my own and then attach right in between the u joint yoke and the yoke assembly for my pinion. Then make a casing that has sealed bearings to fit one on drive shaft and one on the pinion yoke. The casing can keep the ring protected and seal as if still in the diff. and keep sensor clean. The caing will be able to attach to diff cage or maybe to axle hosing and allow for travel. This way no relacation of sensor wiring needed keep everything nice tight an sealed and accurate. Will get some pics together once axle pulled fromunder old pickup bed. And give you shots of the underside setup of my 96 xlt bronco.

Wanted to add this to it also. You DO NOT have to use an origianl ring or make a new one. As long as you can access a drive line part that will spin in sync with the axle system. Ie, drive shaft, couplers between trans and xfer case or where ever. You can actually add little points to the drive shaft itself you will have to adjust point size and point width between teeth. By width i do not mean the ring width but the flat surface or semi flat surface on top. Measure across the tip along the circumfrance of the ring. I can't remember the terms right now but I'm sure you know what I mean. Once i calculate everything I will post a grid and various options for how to set it up. So if you can't reproram the speedo cluster then can use one set or if you can then use a default set.

post #64 of 217 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 06:49 PM

ok I found a 10.25 with vss in swap into my 96. but its in a van is this ok? wheel width wise?

96 5.8 6" and 36's
my truck
post #65 of 217 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Master Bater

Bronco Info: 4 wheels, 4 sticks and 3 pedals
its not a sterling in a van, its a 60 or 61, but it will be fine

Stupid is as Stupid does

mostly a 94 Bronco
wt4wheeling
post #66 of 217 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 09:03 PM

ok Im going to play dumb. what is a 61? is it worth getting? 60 would be very nice.

96 5.8 6" and 36's
my truck
post #67 of 217 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 10:50 PM
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
its a version of a D60. Basically, the ring gear is offset 3/8" further away from teh pinion in order to allow the fitment on higher (numerically lower) ratios, like 3.08:1, for better fuel economy. Usually they have a beefier housing, but also its harder to get steeper gears into them, like 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, etc, which is why most people wont use them.
post #68 of 217 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: 1996 EB Bronco, 5.8, E40D, Dana 44 SAS, 4.88 gears. 35" SuperSwampers
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptillikus View Post
its a version of a D60. Basically, the ring gear is offset 3/8" further away from teh pinion in order to allow the fitment on higher (numerically lower) ratios, like 3.08:1, for better fuel economy. Usually they have a beefier housing, but also its harder to get steeper gears into them, like 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, etc, which is why most people wont use them.
How do you tell the difference from looking? Are they particular to certain years?
post #69 of 217 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 05:25 PM
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
Ya know how on Dana axles, in the bottom right corner (the web below the diff cover) they always stamp the axle #? (40, 60, 70, etc) Well, it will say 61.
There will be extra ribs going to the pinion, and usually an extra rib underneath the diff running left to right, which makes people confuse it with a D60HD. I had one in my possession about four years ago, but unfortunately i do not have any pics of it anymore. This pic of my rear axle might help to show ya where im talking about though

Im not 100% sure of all the years they came from, altho i know most were found in vans. Also, if you have one dont fret, you can run a ring gear spacer to fit standard D60 gears in there, and i am told that thick cut D60 r&p sets will work in there as well. Cant say for sure what locker options would work, altho id assume that since it is technically a D60 (just with the pinion in the wrong spot) that any D60 locker might fit in there.
post #70 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Billdo

Bronco Info: 93 xlt, D60 sas, 10.25 rear, 5.13s, ARBs, 39.5 Iroks, custom stains in the back
ive got a line on a 10.25 ff out of a 1989 f250 for $50. and i was wondering if theres a difference between f250 10.25s and the f350 ones?
post #71 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 11:50 PM
RIP Spring Creek Off Road

Bronco Info: '93 351 bronco thing
nope

........springcreekoffroad.com........
post #72 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Billdo

Bronco Info: 93 xlt, D60 sas, 10.25 rear, 5.13s, ARBs, 39.5 Iroks, custom stains in the back
thats what i thought but i feel like i read that theres different pinion lengths and different yokes on some.??
post #73 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingslee View Post
thats what i thought but i feel like i read that theres different pinion lengths and different yokes on some.??
It was not an F250 vs 350 thing, there was a change in model year as I recall that affects pinion, but it's not like you are going to get some wimpy version 10.25 by buying one from an F250 unless it's not a Fullfloater.

post #74 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Billdo

mmk right on, im going to get it this afternoon, thanks for the info.
post #75 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 02:54 PM
RIP Spring Creek Off Road

Bronco Info: '93 351 bronco thing
92 back = short pinion, 93 forward = long pinion... the long pinion has a few more gear ratios to choose from... the short can be changed to a long with a $40 pinion yoke swap

........springcreekoffroad.com........
post #76 of 217 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Billdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquattyD View Post
[*]Ford PN F4TZ-1177-C Fixes Pre-'94 Axle Seal Problem
Do the seals that come with the yukon master overhaul kit fix the axle seal problem or do you still need to get them from the factory. Also i know its recomended to use shouldered d70 ring gear bolts, but are the bolts in this kit ok? http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDet...spx?ProdID=278

do you even recomend this kit?
post #77 of 217 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy50
I don't know if this is of any help, but I have some info on the sterling rear axle and the rear disk brake conversion for my truck available as well. The disc brake conversion was a great upgrade. Since I've swapped out the axle with a Dana 80, the sterling is up for sale.
post #78 of 217 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 06:43 PM

Bronco Info: Building a buggy bronco
are there any bad front d60s? Im about to pay for a front from a dually early 90s super duty.. I dont remember the rest of the info off hand, but I can get it.. it has a 35 inner and 30 outers.. and needs lots of stuff likes the brakes to get redone and some parts to be switched out to change the length, to make it a little shorter.. dont really understand everything.. but he is holding it for me and its only 600 bux, was originally 900..
post #79 of 217 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Billdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTi54N View Post
are there any bad front d60s? Im about to pay for a front from a dually early 90s super duty.. I dont remember the rest of the info off hand, but I can get it.. it has a 35 inner and 30 outers.. and needs lots of stuff likes the brakes to get redone and some parts to be switched out to change the length, to make it a little shorter.. dont really understand everything.. but he is holding it for me and its only 600 bux, was originally 900..
super duty axles are not the desirable d60s. things like width, ball joints, and unit bearings, and a metric bolt pattern make them not as vauable. dually hubs will have to be changed.

this should be posted in the newbie q's no biggy though.

if i were you, id stuff another paycheck and find yourself a kingpin d60.

post #80 of 217 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 11:10 PM

Ball joints didn't come into play till around 92-94. Unit bearings didn't come into play till around 1998. There is nothing wrong with a ball joint D60 it's just that the ball joints won't last as long as the kingpins will.

NOZBLEED CUSTOMS!

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode