Bruiser's 1 Ton SAS, 2nd GIG - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: Bruiser - 1990 Ford F150, 4.10's, 10.25 Rear, TTB Front, 37x12.50R16.5's, awaiting SAS
Bruiser's 1 Ton SAS, 2nd GIG

Obviously, my 3/4 ton long arm D44 swap lacked the fundage to finish, so I drop it and went to one tons Partly decided to go to 1 tons due to the desicion to swap the 400K mile 300 sixer to a bio-diesel/waste veggie oil (WVO) turbo diesel on down the road. Going with leaf springs as well (still have 6" lift front coils, brand new 3/4 ton D44 spindles, and the stock D44 radius arms that I have already made sleeves for. All for sale). Still have to do some searching, researching and reading on shackle, hanger, and spring combos to net no more than 6" of lift, but the plan is to run 3.5" spacers on the rear Sterling 10.25" and stock H1 split rims with the PVC inserts from Trail Worthy Fab on all 4 corners. Until I can get the split rims and inserts, I'm going to run my 37x12.50" tires on stock Budd rims (approx. 92.5" from outside to outside of tires). Going to set the caster to run hydro-assist in the near future and use the factory y-crossover linkage until I can get the full high steer arms that also replace the KP caps. May run the tie rod behind the axle, depending on what arms I get, but I'm liking the idea. Going to run chebby TRE's and when I go to hydro, I plan to mount the ram around the center of the long side axle tube and utilize the factory steering arm on the pass. side knuckle to run the other side of the ram. Axles are from another 8th gen F-Series truck, but a dually wrecker. Going from the '87 top hat TTB that I used for the 4x4 conversion in the front to the DRW D60 high pinion and from the 3/4 ton semi-float Sterling 10.25" that I have in the rear to the full-float version. Axles are already geared with the 4.10's that I wanted and the Sterling has a factory Trac-Lok with some good clutches in it (made it hard for use to maneuver around the shop). Eventually I plan to go with a locker of some sort in the Sterling rear and a Power-Lok in the D60 front.

All images are click to enlarge thumbnails

$1000 and most of my unneeded parts.

Shows the overall width. just a few inches shy of the legal width limit of 8 feet. My 6' tall buddy Johnson is standing in the 2nd pic as a comparison. The couch in the background is a fullsize one, wide track width

And some comparison shots of the diff housing, KP caps and u-joints. I'm a smaller guy and wear a size 10 boot, compared to the housing.

All tucked away inside the shop, which is pulling double duty as storage as my late great grandmother's belongings are being sorted out. Still enough room to pull Johnson's '89 Sammi in and our younger buddy's Shoveit in and wrench if need be. Still not anywhere near as messy as when I started working on the old D44 solid axle.

I only get to make it up to my shop from the Huntington/Barboursville, WV area every 2 weeks and have to pay a friend-loan on this next weeks trip, then the parts collecting begins as I strip the crap off the axles and paint them, reseal them and replace the brakes. Let the wrenching begin

Bruiser - '90, SCLB, 300 sixer, M5R2, 4x4, smorgasbord, down for surgery.
Enterprise D - '90, CCLB, 7.3L IDI, ZF5, Dually, Western Hauler, 2wd for now
Bronco (unnamed) - '92, 300 sixer M5R2, 4x4, almost ready for the road.
1/2 million miles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: Bruiser - 1990 Ford F150, 4.10's, 10.25 Rear, TTB Front, 37x12.50R16.5's, awaiting SAS
Managed to pickup some stock dually Budd rims and tires as rollers and got the new brake rotors in (heavy pigs!). Also got the new pistons shoes, hardlines and a cover gasket for the Sterling. Had to destroy the stock D60 lockouts since one POS allen head screw on each lockout rounded out inside (but not enough to use the next size key). I've never encountered internal snap rings that are so large and flat. Do the D60 internal snap rings have holes to crimp them together, or do they have to be walked and picked out with flathead screwdrivers and a small pick or awl?

1/2 million miles!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Didn't get anything more done to the rear axle to get it in last week at the shop.Had to deal with a 2.5" wide spring hanger on the rear that rusted out, let the shackle rest on the bottom of the bed. Got it off and half of the frame came with it. Apparently it had been replaced (had bolts in it) and the rivets had been torched out...someone didn't know how to use a torch. Got a 8" long piece of steel and welded it into what was left of the driver's rear frame rail to patch it and replace the hanger with grade 8 bolts and the new 3" wide hanger. Also went ahead and dropped in a stock light duty F250 rear spring pack and shackle in so I didn't have to contend with so many factory bushings (and rust-welded steel). The whole driver's rear has 3" wide stuff on it and the passenger's side has all 2.5" wide junk on it. Coated it and the rest of the cancer with some flat black. Looks like I'll be getting a bare frame in the future to start the diesel repower, may as well box most of it before Bruiser's current body meet it.

Forgot that one of the lower u-bolt shock mounts on the Sterling was bent from the front loader. Going to pick up some weld on tabs to replace them and hub and axle flange seals...and some paint and primer. I hate rust

And does anyone know the caster angle needed to run hydro assist? IIRC, it was somewhere around 6*-8* for HA and 2*-3* for non-hydro assist.

1/2 million miles!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: F100,460, 1tons, 203/205 doubler, sitting on 42" pitbull rockers.
Any updates?

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Not really any updates as of yet. Been gathering my parts for both axles and doing some slow tear down on the D60 when I get to make the trip north to the shop. Haven't been there for awhile due to a week long festival/vacation. How much are you looking to get out of the kit and is it the big kit with the PSC gearbox as well?

1/2 million miles!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Still no real news. Been trying to switch my work schedule around for 2 days off in a row and extra dough. Sent out a parts list for x-mas

Have to replace the rearend in less than 8 hours the evening of the 28th. SF Sterling leaked most of the fluid out and did 300 miles on BAD pinion bearings. Sounded like I was dragging a rusted out heat shield down the road. Over filled the diff and it just has to make it 90 more miles to my shop. Got all the new parts I'll need for the rear Sterling. May get all the parts I need to finish the whole swap the day after I get the FF Sterling in Other than the D60 spindle nut socket (finally found out which one I need) and factory rear springs for the front axle.

Have to get the new 10.25 torn down, cleaned, replace all the seals and brake hardware, paint it up and roll it in. With any luck I will be able to finish pulling the front D60 apart and getting everything ready for it to go in. Have to get it under the truck in 2 days so I need to have everything ready to go in beforehand. Been way too excited about not needing to carry 2 spares, keep tires longer and not have to fight the TTB on the road.

1/2 million miles!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 02:36 AM

Hello admin my name is SAIM.. Your are having a nice nice forum. i am a new user and i will be Actively participating.. Hope you will well come me..:)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm....troll much?

1/2 million miles!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Made some progress last weekend. Worked 12 hours straight and got the axle all torn down, cleaned, and repainted. Got everything done (minus outer seals, takes the big Scotch seals), got the axle rolled under the truck (7.30 am) and the spring perches don't line up. Turns out that the tow truck was a stripped chassis truck. Frames are 34" wide vs. the 36" wide pickup frames. Ordered new perches from Ballistic Fab and as long as they are in byt 5 pm tomorrow, or noon saturday, I will have to make the 80-100 mile trip to my shop/the truck to burn in the new perches.

Have a thread on this issue
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/7-1980-96-bronco-tech/216473-sterling-10-25-spring-perch-spacing.html

Also, flipped 2 of the dually wheels to roll the axle under and neither me, nor my buddy could get the rim flat up against the drum, like they are catching on the hub about 1/2" from the drum. Does this normally happen with DRW axles? Could it just be from where we flipped the wheels? Locating pins have been removed.

And as a final note (for the D60 front), put out a parts list for x-mas and got lockouts, brake hoses and new calipers for the D60 Hoping to have the front in before summer. Deadline for the front end is the end of July when we move to North Carolina.

1/2 million miles!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Small update and a PRE-update for the front end.

Got the FF Sterling in no problem after cutting the old perches off and burning in new ones. Got the wheel spacers on and they give it a nice wide stance in the rear. I'll try to get the pics off my phone and upload hem this weekend. Also got an ACTUAL camera for my b-day...specifically because I was bitching about crappy cell phone pics

AND...income taxes are coming through soon, so I will finally be able to collect my (near $1300) of parts to get this D60 in the front before I move! Along with some 6x16" adjustible tow mirrors to see around the new big ass 5th wheel camper.

Decided that I'll have the cash to use the progressive rate Deaver leaf packs in the rear (which I really wanted over the el cheapo Pro Comps), so I will be dropping money for those as well as a high steer kit from WFO to place the tie rod behind the axle and replace the kinpin caps. Also reusing my old 2.5" wide factory rear springs for the front, hopefully without the thick bottom overload leaf. Right now, Bruiser is in my shop in Chillicothe with no head. When we went to pickup the 33' 5th wheel camper, the old 300 lost cylinder #5 (sounded like a stuck lifter), but she still pulled the 7100 lbs. beast back at normal highway speeds no problem! While I'm replacing the lifters, I'm dropping in hardened pushrods, metal timing gears with a 4* advance on the cam and chebby 1.75 rocker arms for some more breath. Also finally getting all the unworking smog equipment out and parts of the A/C system that I have never been able to use. Going to eventually build a bracket to mount my York in place of the factory A/C compressor for my OBA. Also have to finish connecting the 7-pin round socket for the camper and install the trailer brake controller before June 19th (and hopefully the D60 as well!).

So this thread will FINALLY get moving again

That's all for the moment. Pics soon

1/2 million miles!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Ok, have the pics up of the new FF Sterling in place with the spacers on.

This...

...turned into this...

...along with these 3.5" wide spacers...

made this possible

Still have one of the factory 2.5" wide springs on the rear and one of the original 2.5" hangers until I get the 3" wide leaf springs. Right now the leaves on the rear half of the 2.5" wide spring have fanned out since both factory 2wd rear springs destroyed all their old clips. I have new ones to keep them inline when I put the 2.5" spring on the D60 up front.

Also a pic of the new Mile Marker lockouts that I got for x-mas and still haven't posted

I just need to get something to replace the old spindle bearings on the D60, so I decided to use these bushings (<- hyperlink...clicky).

More to come as I finally get around to gathering more parts. Should be able to tear into the D60 about the 2nd or 3rd weekend of May and get it all ready for the swap

1/2 million miles!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Job complications have set me back again, but at least now I have everthing I need for the front D60 itself. Looks like the 3rd week of July is my designated week to strip the front axle down and replace the u-joints, add the Ballistic Fab high steer arms/kingpin caps, lockouts, rotors, calipers, and the new spindle bushings as well as getting it painted up after I remove the old panhard mount. Guess I will have to wait until after the move to aquire the Superflex springs for the rear and the raw steel I need to fab the front crossmember.

Oh, and the top end rebuild set me back some as well...We picked up a 33' 5th wheel camper (1977 Fan Luxury Liner) earlier this year and I lost cylinder #5 before we could even pick it up. Rocker arms were so loose that they weren't opening the valves, so I took the oppertunity to swap to the chebby rocker arms and studs on the 1/2 million mile six as well as put in my spare head with all the non-operating smog equipment removed and drop in steel timing gears and new lifters/hardened pushrods and guideplates. Runs like a champ now, even though she still pulled a 7100 lbs camper on 5 cylinders and a broken 2.5" leaf spring (I will now be using the 3" wide rear springs on the front D60 as a consequence). Will get pics when I can.

And btw, got accepted to Universal Technical Institute/NTI in North Carolina

1/2 million miles!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 09:56 AM

I truly appreciate this article post.Thanks Again. Keep writing.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode