Obviously, my 3/4 ton long arm D44 swap lacked the fundage to finish, so I drop it and went to one tons
Partly decided to go to 1 tons due to the desicion to swap the 400K mile 300 sixer to a bio-diesel/waste veggie oil (WVO) turbo diesel on down the road. Going with leaf springs as well (still have 6" lift front coils, brand new 3/4 ton D44 spindles, and the stock D44 radius arms that I have already made sleeves for. All for sale). Still have to do some searching, researching and reading on shackle, hanger, and spring combos to net no more than 6" of lift, but the plan is to run 3.5" spacers on the rear Sterling 10.25" and stock H1 split rims with the PVC inserts from Trail Worthy Fab on all 4 corners. Until I can get the split rims and inserts, I'm going to run my 37x12.50" tires on stock Budd rims (approx. 92.5" from outside to outside of tires). Going to set the caster to run hydro-assist in the near future and use the factory y-crossover linkage until I can get the full high steer arms that also replace the KP caps. May run the tie rod behind the axle, depending on what arms I get, but I'm liking the idea. Going to run chebby TRE's and when I go to hydro, I plan to mount the ram around the center of the long side axle tube and utilize the factory steering arm on the pass. side knuckle to run the other side of the ram. Axles are from another 8th gen F-Series truck, but a dually wrecker. Going from the '87 top hat TTB that I used for the 4x4 conversion in the front to the DRW D60 high pinion and from the 3/4 ton semi-float Sterling 10.25" that I have in the rear to the full-float version. Axles are already geared with the 4.10's that I wanted and the Sterling has a factory Trac-Lok with some good clutches in it (made it hard for use to maneuver around the shop). Eventually I plan to go with a locker of some sort in the Sterling rear and a Power-Lok in the D60 front.
All images are click to enlarge thumbnails
$1000 and most of my unneeded parts.
Shows the overall width. just a few inches shy of the legal width limit of 8 feet. My 6' tall buddy Johnson is standing in the 2nd pic as a comparison. The couch in the background is a fullsize one, wide track width
And some comparison shots of the diff housing, KP caps and u-joints. I'm a smaller guy and wear a size 10 boot, compared to the housing.
All tucked away inside the shop, which is pulling double duty as storage as my late great grandmother's belongings are being sorted out. Still enough room to pull Johnson's '89 Sammi in and our younger buddy's Shoveit in and wrench if need be. Still not anywhere near as messy as when I started working on the old D44 solid axle.
I only get to make it up to my shop from the Huntington/Barboursville, WV area every 2 weeks and have to pay a friend-loan on this next weeks trip, then the parts collecting begins as I strip the crap off the axles and paint them, reseal them and replace the brakes. Let the wrenching begin
Bruiser - '90, SCLB, 300 sixer, M5R2, 4x4, smorgasbord, down for surgery.
Enterprise D - '90, CCLB, 7.3L IDI, ZF5, Dually, Western Hauler, 2wd for now
Bronco (unnamed) - '92, 300 sixer M5R2, 4x4, almost ready for the road.
1/2 million miles!