Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

PeaceamakerSAS

65K views 374 replies 42 participants last post by  Peacemaker94 
#1 ·
Well i started a build thread and The first project i decided to tackle in this was a SAS. So i figured more help on this topic i can find here and people will help out a little more. Here is where im at so far.

1979 Dana 44 HP 3.50 gears.

I rebuilt the axle and am lookin for parts now. Im probably gonna go with the Bronco Bob arms instead of the James Duff for $ reason.

here are the pics thus far and i will post more when i move forward!

See less See more
#3 ·
I just got my U-joints in the axles today and am getting the spindle bearings in tomorrow. I will hopefully have it all assembled by this weekend...

Also i'll hopefully be getting some coil buckets this Thursday. Every time someone says they have some they end up not contacting me back, or they want WAYY to much money for them. So hopefully i can get them. Apparently these ones have shock mounts on them from the factory. I don't need them so i will be doing some work on them if they do. The parts gathering process is going to take quite a while :banghead:cry

#7 ·
Got my axles back yesterday and got the U-Joints installed, In need of some paint. I give them to my buddy who works at Ford and he does them for me while im at work. (i could do them) but since he is around tools all day, he does some small stuff to help out while im workin and when i get off i get to smile at newly installed parts:rockon! Shout out to my buddy Coles! haha

Im gonna reuse this baffle. Is that alright or should i replace for new?

#8 ·
Well its been a while since i have posted i got strep and was in the hospital with a fever of 103 and was as weak as i could possibly be for a little and got a second job so i can hopefully kick this SAS into overdrive.

I put new spindle bearings in and installed the spindles.

I was cleaning the rust off first.

more pics to come. I ordered the 79 coil buckets and they should be in today. :thumbup

#11 ·
You talking about 9" of wheel travel or 9" of lift? This is really something you will just have to measure for your self. What kind of up travel are you looking for? Down travel? How much lift? If your only doing 4" of lift then 35's are probably what you want. But 6" you should certainly be fine with 37's. Are you moving the axle forward at all?
Sorry, a lot of questions.

#14 ·
Well its been a while since i updated. I have decided to go with the James Duff arms, shocks, and coil cups. I had a question about the James Duff coil cups. Will they help out the bow on the coils? I know they can only do so much, i just heard 50/50.

#19 ·
I have heard people having coil bow cause with thew lift the axle rotates forward so the cups are at a slight angle and throwing the coils out in the center and making them bow?

Look at sparepartsf150 solid axle swap, he used them, Ive seen his truck in person and it seemed to have No coil bow, they hug tight to the frame
Ill have to check that out thanks.

That's good stuff. Why not use the duff track bar mount
I was thinking about it but i like to see stuff used before i try it. And see houw others like the product. I was thinking about the Rough Country Trac bar mount but i dont want to mount it like that on my crossmember cause i think im going to cut it in the front and reroute the lines.

Jim Cole, the brains behind CAGE has opened a new business:
http://www.bloodyknucklegarage.com/ THANK YOU!! Ive been looking high and low!

You can also find the biz on Facebook.
HTH, Joe
THANK YOU!! Ive been looking high and low! :thumbup

#20 ·
I know it has been a while since my last post and haven't got much cause I've been saving and FINALLY made my purchase of James Duff Radius arms!! So now it'll be smooth sailing since I got the big buy out if the way.

#27 ·
Lol I know rite! It has never been hooked up. Plus I just sat it there for a second haha. But anyway I'm debating on buying the James duff coil cups. Does anyone run those and recommend them? Or should I just save the money and buy the stock ones.

#28 ·
JD coils cups are fine, many have used them. I like the flat bottom, works with our setups, pre-drilled. Only dislike is the hold piece for the coil. On the flip side the stock cups and retainers usually need to be modified with wedge. And then I added a little more retainer.

Wanna buy something? Duff
Wanna do a little fabbing to get it just right, I used JBG stock/new cups and retainers.

#29 ·
That's the only issue. I don't have the tools to fab my own stuff. I want to just can't at the moment until I get some tools to do so. So your saying with the JD cups I won't need a wedge? Or is there still a possibility.

#32 ·
That's the only issue. I don't have the tools to fab my own stuff. I want to just can't at the moment until I get some tools to do so. So your saying with the JD cups I won't need a wedge? Or is there still a possibility.
Since these came out I don't recall seeing threads showing anyone adding wedges to these. Since I don't run them I can't tell you for sure, but just go out to your axle and do a mock up. Stock cups just don't sit well, at least not on my setup that had the cage RA's. I had to do a little grinding on top, and even then the soft deaver coils would so easily bow, I had to get that lower cup vertically aligned much better, so the wedge was a must.

When I first was installing my SAS:

much straighter with the wedge (which you can just see welded on the bottom in this pic:

#34 ·
There is a ton of information here. The hard part is going through it all, finding the tidbits about certain aspects of a build that pertain or that you like for your specific build, and blasting buy all the stuff that might be about SAS stuff that is not relevant to you, i.e. maybe 8 lug, or leaf or D60 discusssions, etc.

#35 ·
Yeah. I have been reading yours (shadowfax), lifeizhard, foxbravo, bossind, and allot more. It's never ending but I think it's all comming together now. My cage hoops and ruff stuff one ton suspension is on it's way. Ibthinkvim going to order the duff 15 inch travel shocks also. Do you have anybinput on those?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.