IIVIIoonshiner's Low Lift SAS - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 177 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 10:41 AM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Nice work! I like the site glass. (Or tube) What turbo are you running?

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 177 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1994 f-150, 4x4, zf 5-speed, intercooled Cummins 4BT, Dana44SAS, short wheelbase daily driver
http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/dana300/
This link should teach anyone about sight tubes
post #83 of 177 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1994 f-150, 4x4, zf 5-speed, intercooled Cummins 4BT, Dana44SAS, short wheelbase daily driver
HE221w 6cm with a 500 cfm intercooler

post #84 of 177 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIVIIoonshiner View Post
HE221w 6cm with a 500 hp intercooler
Sounds good. I've heard that's one of the two best turbos for that engine. (Don't believe there's any consensus on which is better)

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652
post #85 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Xfercase linkage cut ane lengthened with some angle iron and welding (this needed done to account for the lifted front output)

here she is installed

and this is my nice finished flat belly!!! only missing a skid plate for insurance

Slightly Modified
post #86 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

a little bling coming on now

Last night I worked on fabricating an intercooler bracket and it fit really nicely in front of the stock radiator and AC condenser. IT LOOKS bling lol

and now the bling behind the bling... grill re-installed

I had to take my new all aluminum 3 row radiator to the tig welding shop to be clearanced for intercooler lines. It would've vibrated badly but will have it back early week and then I'm pretty well done with the intercooling

Slightly Modified
post #87 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Boost and Pyrometer gauges

More shop time tonight (i get enough of this stuff and I might have my truck back)

installed my new autometer ford factory match gauges and a-pillar gauge pod

Boost and Pyrometer don't typically belong in an F-150 but they belong in this one for obvious reasons!
everyone loves them some pictures... amirite?

Slightly Modified
post #88 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

New extended range and rear leaf springs

So I ordered stock F250 4/1 leafs last night with new u bolts and leaf eye bolts. the rear needed to go up 2.5" to be level with the front and this seems like it should be pretty close. If it is a bit high or low I will adjust with shackles. I almost bought lifted stock weight springs because I know the F250 springs will be a bit harsh on washboard roads (I live on one) However I use my truck heavily to do tree work and pull trailers so the added payload was a plus for me. I will add pics once I get them installed

I also am putting in a 38 gallon fuel tank (spectra F26D) because why not... I'm conservatively expecting 22 mpg out of this motor/truck combo. So for fun I was crunching numbers and that's an 836 mile range on one tank!!!!! that's like fueling up at home (Jackson SC) and driving to Chicago Illinois before you have to buy fuel again. EXPEDITION TIME methinks lol

Slightly Modified
post #89 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I kind of feel like I'm talking to Mimes...

but here goes the mornings work. One picture to share. Oil drain was a MAJOR PITA for me on this project because my turbo came with no semblance of anything drain related. I used a 5/8" garrett male nipple drain (this is not a Garrett Turbo its a HE221W) but apparently they are the same. I ordered the SAMCO sport upper silicon 5/8" to 7/8" reducer online. Built a random 7/8 galvanized metal adapter with my 909 tool and used stock H1C (stock turbo) parts to finish the dang thing out. So simple and benign looking but was a long process to find all the needed parts.

Slightly Modified
post #90 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 10:27 PM

So how is the front of the plastic boost tube? mine has the same fitting at the intake, but the other end goes into a rubber adapter that plugs on to a electronic box. (that wires to my guage) In any case, the plastic tube keeps blowing out of the rubber. I dont know why they didnt put the same fitting at both ends. Nothing really to hold it.

Looks like your getting lots done. Keep it up!

post #91 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
So how is the front of the plastic boost tube? mine has the same fitting at the intake, but the other end goes into a rubber adapter that plugs on to a electronic box. (that wires to my guage) In any case, the plastic tube keeps blowing out of the rubber. I dont know why they didnt put the same fitting at both ends. Nothing really to hold it.

Looks like your getting lots done. Keep it up!
Thank you for following along! It's nice to know this crap gets read. My boost gauge is mechanical so the exact same fitting is on the back of the gauge and the tube runs from one identical fitting to another. Both with strong attachment

I hate to hear that yours is acting up
post #92 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Some unfun gasoline vapor work tonight. Draining and dropping my old 19 gallon gas tank. Those 22 year old bolts are brutal lol.

One thing I wanted to mention to anyone contemplating a project this big. The time sink involved is immense!!!! I'm not complaining about it because the work is fun. But when I was researching all I wanted to do I spent many hours contemplating parts and money (lots of money! People forget to lump everything). But my point is no one ever talks about all the hours loctiting and tightening bolts... Or greasing/grinding/prepping metal/welding/ordering parts/waiting for parts.... I could go on. I guess my point is a cookie cutter SAS may get done in a weekend but once things evolve and start getting away from you it can take a while
post #93 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 07:31 AM

I apriciate that your taking the time to write this. (And the pics)

I noticed that you have the same lift pump as me. Will you have any other pump at the tank. Any consideration to a piston pump? I guess they are supposed to be better.

post #94 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 08:26 AM

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco XLT Trailer Special
Quote:
Some unfun gasoline vapor work tonight. Draining and dropping my old 19 gallon gas tank. Those 22 year old bolts are brutal lol.

One thing I wanted to mention to anyone contemplating a project this big. The time sink involved is immense!!!! I'm not complaining about it because the work is fun. But when I was researching all I wanted to do I spent many hours contemplating parts and money (lots of money! People forget to lump everything). But my point is no one ever talks about all the hours loctiting and tightening bolts... Or greasing/grinding/prepping metal/welding/ordering parts/waiting for parts.... I could go on. I guess my point is a cookie cutter SAS may get done in a weekend but once things evolve and start getting away from you it can take a while
Hey Moonshiner,

I have been here reading along as well. Would love to do a diesel swap someday, but since I have not, I really can not help with anything. I totally agree with you on the amount of time that can be spent doing any type of swap in drivetrain parts or engines when there was never an option from the factory to take advantage of finding the parts needed. There are some that would just throw this in, weld a few parts, hook up a few wires and call it done. You are taking the time to make it right and last a very long time. You are doing excellent work. It will be a thrill when it is all done.

Russ
post #95 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
I apriciate that your taking the time to write this. (And the pics)

I noticed that you have the same lift pump as me. Will you have any other pump at the tank. Any consideration to a piston pump? I guess they are supposed to be better.
Helirich I dig that we have similar projects. I need to re-read your build thread again. From my research the VE pump will support as much as 300 HP (hard to do with out multiple turbos) and I don't see going over 200 personally. Especially when you think of how much torque a 200hp 4BT build makes lol.

to answer your main question I am going to plumb extended tubing down to the bottom of my new 38 gallon tank and just use the lift pump on the block. I am pretty sure that the one pump will deliver enough fuel. I do have a main concern that you may be able to answer. I've considered putting a oneway check valve midway down the fuel line where the old fuel filter went. My thoughts were that the only fuel problems I've read about were caused by leaks etc that let the VE pump unprime. I'm thinking that someone may make a directional check valve that wouldn't hinder performance but would prevent un-priming the motor when it sits for a week... thoughts????

how is yours set up? did you leave a fuel filter in line? or just rely on the fuel seperator/filter on the block? (my plan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting There View Post
Hey Moonshiner,

I have been here reading along as well. Would love to do a diesel swap someday, but since I have not, I really can not help with anything. I totally agree with you on the amount of time that can be spent doing any type of swap in drivetrain parts or engines when there was never an option from the factory to take advantage of finding the parts needed. There are some that would just throw this in, weld a few parts, hook up a few wires and call it done. You are taking the time to make it right and last a very long time. You are doing excellent work. It will be a thrill when it is all done.

Russ
Russ,

Thanks man! I feel like I am getting close and honestly getting pretty excited. It's really my daily driver so I'm trying to do a good job. (I threw together a little 85 toyota longbed truck to drive this year while I did this project and my wife is tired of it already lol)

I love to read everyone's builds and now that I've done one I am realizing that it's nice to hear input and questions. I'm trying to lend my knowledge to other builds more nowadays as well

lots of parts showing up this week! Can hardly wait!

Slightly Modified
post #96 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
to answer your main question I am going to plumb extended tubing down to the bottom of my new 38 gallon tank and just use the lift pump on the block. I am pretty sure that the one pump will deliver enough fuel. I do have a main concern that you may be able to answer. I've considered putting a oneway check valve midway down the fuel line where the old fuel filter went. My thoughts were that the only fuel problems I've read about were caused by leaks etc that let the VE pump unprime. I'm thinking that someone may make a directional check valve that wouldn't hinder performance but would prevent un-priming the motor when it sits for a week... thoughts????

how is yours set up? did you leave a fuel filter in line? or just rely on the fuel seperator/filter on the block? (my plan)
Although I can drive mine around for fun and motivation, you are way closer to finishing. I'm currently running mine off a five gallon can and only the block filter. I've seen check valves like that for aircraft. There should be two check valves in the lift pump. They should stop bleed down.

The reason I ask about the lift pump is I've heard that the piston pump is more reliable. But more important, when it fails, it doesn't leak diesel into the block. I'm hopping to make an ultra reliable rig. So I was thinking of a electric pump in the tank. Then if the piston pump failed, I could just turn on the E-pump. (Not good if it fills the block with diesel, LOL)

post #97 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

I love it when a plan comes together

all of my exhaust parts showed up! (along with a bunch of other cool parts that I will discuss in future posts)

I really wanted to go with 3 inch exhaust starting at the turbo so I was'nt limiting my motor any, but the concern all along was how to start the exhaust off the back of the turbo and how to clear the firewall (it's tight)

so for anyone google searching this thread I used a 2.5" v band and accompanying flange to mate up to my HE221w Holset turbo exhaust housing. They meet and clamp PERFECTLY!!! I used what is called a double stepped setup where a guy can either slip 2.5" tubing into the vband clamp and weld it up or (what I did) slip 3" exhaust tubing over the v-band flange and weld to the outside! This worked great! I bought mandrel bent 3" tubing pieces and am cutting/welding to fit.

in this pic you can see I cut the majority of one leg off a pre-bent 45 degree bend and slipped it over the flange before welding it up

take your time and weld small sections alternating around the flange so you don't warp it!

after cooling down I was able to use the V-band clamp to start routing past the bellhousing and I'm very happy to say that IT IS GONNA WORK! I think the clearance is going to be fine even with the first three feet heat wrapped!
here are pics from both above and below!

The rest of the exhaust will be pretty straight forward (other than I am building it instead of the local shop) yay for doing as much as possible with my own hands! Makes me feel accomplished

Cheers!

Slightly Modified
post #98 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 09:52 AM

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco XLT Trailer Special
Very cool stuff!!! Looks like you have it figured out. I like your attitude about doing stuff yourself, I am the same way.
post #99 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 07:28 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 Eddie Bauer
Nice work, Moonshiner. Soon you'll be "done" and have a great truck to drive!

(A project like this is never really done.)

1990 Eddie Bauer 4BT-E4OD-D60-10.25
lots o' goodies, work in progress
post #100 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 10:26 PM

Looks like your getting a better job by doing it yourself too. It's hard to find a shop that will pay that much attention to detail. If you do, they charge an arm and a leg.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode