OEM F250 radius arms wouldn't work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT 351w 6" superlift superrunner with superrunner steering
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBaker View Post
Valhalla1, I live off 64 Hwy in Cleveland. If you need a hand just let me know. My love for the TTB is fading away and I am saving up for a set of axles. My TTB binds up pretty bad when I backup in reverse.
can you take a picture of it? i have ran them a lot over the years and I'm not sure what kind of bind you mean.

Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zainyD View Post
OEM F250 radius arms wouldn't work?
They are to short, I have mine back just in front of the transfer case cross member. I hope to have some pretty decent flex.

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 11:14 PM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla1 View Post
I actually plan on putting a piece of plate between both tubes and plating it all in IF my math turns out to have been correct on the caster. On the bolt I used a 17mm hardened bolt. I drilled a 19mm hole in 3/8" plate and welded both sides.
stiffening it up sounds good. Any reason not to just use a heim at the end, much stronger? Even if you don't plan on serious articulation, the ride is nice, and it could be much stronger.

Quote:
Read somewhere in the volumes of digging to do it, can't remember why. I wrote it on my parts list of things to buy.
You will have bigger calipers and rotors, so you will have better potential for stopping and brake fade with larger tires, but for more stopping power you move to MC/booster for the 1 ton.

post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
stiffening it up sounds good. Any reason not to just use a heim at the end, much stronger? Even if you don't plan on serious articulation, the ride is nice, and it could be much stronger.

You will have bigger calipers and rotors, so you will have better potential for stopping and brake fade with larger tires, but for more stopping power you move to MC/booster for the 1 ton.
Hey shadow, I like your rig. Anyways, I thought about heims and will probably end up on them sooner than later. From what I've seen most people end up changing their original design on radius arms at least once. I hope that not to be the case but since this is my first self customized suspension I am not sure this is the final attempt. I am just hopeful my math is perfect on the camber. On the brakes I knew why I changed to the master cylinder and booster, I just couldn't remember the piston specifics and particulars on why those years.

One question, how much more flex would you say you get with him over the stock stud style? Thanks!
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 09:14 PM

Bronco Info: 93 351W, SAS w/ 60s f/r
On the brakes, the brake booster ford ran from 88 till about 98 for the one ton application. The 96-97 F350 uses the same MC as a F150 up to 04 with a 1.250 bore. You can get two models, with and without cruise control on the cylinder. The original MCs on the half tons/broncos has a 1.062 bore. The new MC (w/reservoir) comes with a proportion valve that hollow and same treads as factory brake lines. This helps out big going 4 wheel disk brakes.
Valhalla1 likes this.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 10:13 PM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Quote:
Hey shadow, I like your rig. Anyways, I thought about heims and will probably end up on them sooner than later. From what I've seen most people end up changing their original design on radius arms at least once. I hope that not to be the case but since this is my first self customized suspension I am not sure this is the final attempt. I am just hopeful my math is perfect on the camber. On the brakes I knew why I changed to the master cylinder and booster, I just couldn't remember the piston specifics and particulars on why those years.

One question, how much more flex would you say you get with him over the stock stud style? Thanks!
You probably had to do a lot of thinking/math around the Caster, is that what you meant?

More flex, a heim is almost limitless compared to a bushing, which tends to start resisting as soon as you move away from the suspension set while driving down a road. The heim moves flex ability to the limits of other components for the most part....length of arm, coil length/stiffness, shocks, extended brake lines, ability for tire to move within wheelwell, steering, etc.

post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
You probably had to do a lot of thinking/math around the Caster, is that what you meant?

More flex, a heim is almost limitless compared to a bushing, which tends to start resisting as soon as you move away from the suspension set while driving down a road. The heim moves flex ability to the limits of other components for the most part....length of arm, coil length/stiffness, shocks, extended brake lines, ability for tire to move within wheelwell, steering, etc.
The math and angles are what I meant. I do like the Heims flex just wonder if spring flex, brake lines, driveshaft, and shocks won't limit it the way it is before the post style does. I do see what you mean that it starts to resist almost immediately.

post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, as Shadowfax said I need heim joints for the flex. I got it out to try and see what shocks I needed. When I flexed it out the front moved up two inches or so and drooped about 6 inches down. the body roll was excessive and the rear flexed awesome to make up for the last of the fronts movement. I'm pricing heims I'm thinking 3/4" bore 34* heims but I know nothing about them so it's research time. Any help from you guys would be great!
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 07:06 PM
aka: boilermakerms007

Bronco Info: 91 Eddie Bauer, 5.8L, 79 dana44 SAS, 4.56 gears in a trac-loc carrier, 8.5" lift, shorty headers,
Garage
I'm using 7\8 heims for steering, 1-1/4 heims for the radius arms. The radius arm heims have a 1" bore, with misalignment spacers they will be 3/4" bolt.

GET DIRTY
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 07:09 PM

Bronco Info: 91 Eddie Bauer, 5.8L, 79 dana44 SAS, 4.56 gears in a trac-loc carrier, 8.5" lift, shorty headers,
Garage
Oh yeah, don't buy the economy heims off of eBay. Get good quality Teflon Kevlar lined chromoly ones. I suggest ruff stuff. Fast shipping, great quality and selection.

GET DIRTY
post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 07:25 PM

Garage

Here's a shot of a good one for radius arms. It sleeves into 1-1/2" id tubing

GET DIRTY
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATCHBOX View Post
Oh yeah, don't buy the economy heims off of eBay. Get good quality Teflon Kevlar lined chromoly ones. I suggest ruff stuff. Fast shipping, great quality and selection.
Thanks man that is what I'm looking at, I'm trying to do my due diligence. Do you know if the ones from barnes 4wd are any good?

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:21 PM

Garage
I just checked them out.. Definitely don't get the economy ones. Heat treated chromoly ones look better. Never heard of that company before. Maybe I'll order a couple for the glove box just in case. They're cheap! About half what I paid!

GET DIRTY
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I just checked them out.. Definitely don't get the economy ones. Heat treated chromoly ones look better. Never heard of that company before. Maybe I'll order a couple for the glove box just in case. They're cheap! About half what I paid!
I ordered 4 of the chromoly ones, supposedly over 55k lbs. rating. Don't know what that transposes to in real world forces though.

post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:15 PM

Garage
Right on, get a couple pictures with them and a tape measure in the same frame so I can check em out stout wise please. Later!

GET DIRTY
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Right on, get a couple pictures with them and a tape measure in the same frame so I can check em out stout wise please. Later!
Will do.

post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here are the heims, I didn't put on the bungs (1.5") they have misalignment spacers that make it 2" with a 7/8 bolt. [IMG][/IMG]

post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 09:18 PM

Garage
Nice! How big is the threaded part? I'm guessing 7/8"? Did you get these for steering links, or for your radius arms?

GET DIRTY
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You are correct they are 7/8. The center is 7/8 with the misalignment spacers in.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode