Engine crossmember trimming? - Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By forrest411

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Engine crossmember trimming?

Been working on prepping my frame up for paint and boxing up. I am doing a Dana 60 SAS and have read in several threads trimming the crossmember is necessary to clear the track link. Anyone have any pics of where and how much? I would rather do it while I have it stripped down and before I paint. Is this relevant to whose link kit I use, I had planned on using a ORD offset kit.

BTW my axle is a 89 king pin with the drivers side close offset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 10:50 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 EB Bronco 5.8, E4OD, BW1356 Transfercase, 6 inch BDS Lift w/Procomp Leafs, 200,010Miles
Subscribed!
I imagine it depends what year front diff assembly your using and the location of the trac bar mount on it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 08:15 AM
Erik

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco,'92 Bronco,'85 F350
It's hard to say exactly how much to trim without the axle being in place. I would do it after axle mock up. Some people have trimmed none and some have gone as far as replacing the whole crossmember. Mine was just in the way a little so I trimmed off the edges and opened up a big oval in the center for my track bar. There's more details in my build thread but the places you'll have to watch are the diff hitting the low parts on the crossmember and the track bar hitting if that's the type of suspension you're running.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 11:54 AM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Yea, what he said. If I were you, I would get the link kit you want and install it somewhat before finish boxing/painting.

It also has a lot to do with your finish lift. On my 07' Superduty axle, I was able to install it without any lift and any cutting. But I believe with your axle, you must do one or the other.

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 05:41 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 93 5.8L tons of stuff
Like these guys said, it's best to get it mocked up before cutting anything. No sense in cutting if you don't have to. I'm sure you know this but I would avoid cutting the crossmember at all costs. Cutting that much out of it significantly decreases it's strength. Large tires only makes the frame twist more. With less crossmember your almost guaranteed to have future issues and cracks.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 07:31 PM

Bronco Info: 79 bronco 460 c6
IIVIIoonshiner's Low Lift SAS

i do believe he trimmed his crossmember or took it out
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
a lot depends on which axle I use aparently, I have the 1989 king pin axle which has the biggest offset. Another factor I see is placement of the track bar, some are mounted frorward of the crossmenber and sme underneath. If I go with a Bronco Air style that mounts under the crossmember and put a bend in the track bar I should be able to get away with no trimming that I can see. My projected lift is the minimum suggested lift for the bracket so contact with the bar might be a concern during full compression? I was looking at the F350 pics for a 1991 truck and they appear to have the same crossmember as the 1/2 and 3/4 tons. Either way I am going to have more support with the coil over cage, additional crossmembers and skid plates. I have a roll cage also in the plan so that should help with integrity also if I should need to trim some off.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 10:11 AM

any pictures.....

1995 Ford Bronco STOCK,Working on building this for the sand dunes with stock appearance.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Haven't trimmed it yet, progress has been slow with the weather and being sidetracked with another Bronco I picked up but here is my current progress.
The 445 FEs start from scratch build.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:28 PM
BSS

Bronco Info: 96 XLT 5.8 E4OD
I guess most of it depends on how far forward you plan to move your coil buckets? Or are you to use your stock buckets? I was not wanting to cut my frame either at all costs. I went with the Bronco Air track bar bracket and track bar. It fits great and does very well offroad, glad I chose to go that route.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:57 PM

[QUOTE=BSS;6406225]I guess most of it depends on how far forward you plan to move your coil buckets? Or are you to use your stock buckets? I was not wanting to cut my frame either at all costs. I went with the Bronco Air track bar bracket and track bar. It fits great and does very well offroad, glad I chose to go that route.[/QUOT

I've been looking at that track bar and bracket. By far they look like the best fit. How does it line up with the angle of thw drag link? What axle amd radius arms are you running on your swap?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:59 PM
BSS

Bronco Info: 96 XLT 5.8 E4OD
I'm running a 44 up front, 6" Bronco graveyard 79 coil springs, James Duff coil buckets, James Duff lower coil cups, James Duff dual shock bracket, Bronco Air track bar and track bar bracket, drop pitman arm, tie rod flip, Ruff Stuff Y link/GM one ton tie rods, 4 degree C wedges, & Cage radius arms. The angles of the drag link and track bar bracket are great (never put a angle finder on them). No death wobble here.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS View Post
I'm running a 44 up front, 6" Bronco graveyard 79 coil springs, James Duff coil buckets, James Duff lower coil cups, James Duff dual shock bracket, Bronco Air track bar and track bar bracket, drop pitman arm, tie rod flip, Ruff Stuff Y link/GM one ton tie rods, 4 degree C wedges, & Cage radius arms. The angles of the drag link and track bar bracket are great (never put a angle findeor on them). No death wobble here.
Thanks for the info. I was planning on using stock 79 F150 steering keeping it under the knuckles. So I was concerned about the angle of the track bar vs.the drag link so I made a couple templates over the weekend that copy the broncoair bracket except there will be a couple 3 holes to raise or lower the angle of the track bar. Dropping the template off at the shop this morning.
445 FE Bronco likes this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode