Guitartuckers 82 Leaf SAS Thread - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 82 Bronco 351W Bored .030 C6, 4.33 G/R D50/Sterling, 37x13.50x18 Toyo M/Ts On Fuel 18x9
Guitartuckers 82 Leaf SAS Thread

This will be my SAS thread where i'll post my take on the $$$/time/effort of the swap and have pictures of the progress. My game plan is to buy a front/rear set from a 87-97 f350 4x4 with factory 4.10 gears/36in perches to see how they handle the 37's before I plunge into 4.56s/4.88s. I've been scouring the yards/net the past few weeks for a deal but to no avail.

My post count is getting closer to 75 though, so until I gain access to the classifieds maybe one of you fine gentleman will know of someone with some SAS candy just lying around to be sold.

Also any helpful hints are greatly appreciated. Ill try to research 2x, think 1x, research again 1x before I ask any questions that probably have been answered countless times throughout the threads.

Acquired more patience than I ever thought possible with this Bronco. 82 Bronco Custom: 351W roller motor bored .030, .498 lift Elgin 302 HO cam, air gap dual plane high rise intake, port and polished heads, C6 w/ stage 2 kit, Edelbrock 600 4 bbl carb, and just about everything else is new on her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 82 Bronco 351W Bored .030 C6, 4.33 G/R D50/Sterling, 37x13.50x18 Toyo M/Ts On Fuel 18x9
Update: I stumbled across a 99 f250 that I can get the front and rear differentials/springs out of for a good price and I believe it has 4.30 gears. What would I need to use this setup? I'm trying to figure out perch lengths and steering/joint connections but it's been kind of slow.

I did some research on the Dana 50 front and I think it would suit my needs I don't see myself ever going over 37-38 inch tires. As always input is certainly welcome!

Acquired more patience than I ever thought possible with this Bronco. 82 Bronco Custom: 351W roller motor bored .030, .498 lift Elgin 302 HO cam, air gap dual plane high rise intake, port and polished heads, C6 w/ stage 2 kit, Edelbrock 600 4 bbl carb, and just about everything else is new on her.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

80-96 Ford Bronco/F-150 4X4 Solid axle conversion kit-leaf spring. ? Sky Manufacturing

I've found a bolt-on/weld-in kit for the superduty axles. Not sure if Ill just cough up the money for the kit or try to fab my own crossmember. I was told to buy a high steer kit as well but is that necessary or will a stock obs f350 steering work just fine? I have not stumbled across any build thread on this forum thats used this axle configuration. Ive seen a few do the 05+ SD axles without leafs, but not a leaf swap from 99-04.

Am I wrong and just havent one?

Since this swap is doable im about 95% sure im pulling the trigger on the 4.30 axles. They were in a running truck before the motor blew so they're in working order. Also, sealed a deal on some 37x13.50x18 Toyo MTs with less than 5000 highway miles on them so my girl should be sitting right by Thanksgiving/Christmas break!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:05 AM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Should be helpful for ya

Swamp Donkey Progess

Vote me your Sept. FOTM!

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
Thanks 379, i've actually come across his before and it is full of useful pictures and advice. Also if im not mistaken the spring perches are a little over 37" vs the ~36.25" of the f350 which the differences shouldnt be an issue if i'm buying/fabbing a crossmember. Im just not sure about the 99-04 knuckles and how they would bolt up to the steering components. Im trying to find out if ill have to mill the top of the knuckles & install one of the high steer brackets/arms that a few people sell.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 07:05 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Black FSB built 302ci on 35" BFG MT and an 88 stubborn mule on 38" toyo MTs, LS SASd
Not sure if this helps at all, but my 88 has a 99 front axle. Its all knd of out of order but browse through there and let me know if you need more detailed pics
Mr. Hyde the deuce

dr jekyll: 86 built 302,30 over, carbed, 4" lift on 35s...mr hyde: 88 302 LS SAS, both ends locked, hydro assist, 5.13s, on 38 toyos
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonger View Post
Not sure if this helps at all, but my 88 has a 99 front axle. Its all knd of out of order but browse through there and let me know if you need more detailed pics
Mr. Hyde the deuce
Thanks, greasemonger! What issues did you encounter with the steering exactly? Do you know what the guy you bought it from used (components wise)?

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 12:06 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Black FSB built 302ci on 35" BFG MT and an 88 stubborn mule on 38" toyo MTs, LS SASd
I have some pretty crazy oversteer at highway speeds that the hydro assist helped with. Somewhere in that thread is the link to the sketchy axle install work done by the PO. His welds were boogered up, and the geometry was aweful, but its way better now. It originally had 44s on it but Id imagine that was virtually undrivable lol. For the front it seems like he just rolled the whole axle and leafs from a 99 under there, made a crossmember and welded it up.

dr jekyll: 86 built 302,30 over, carbed, 4" lift on 35s...mr hyde: 88 302 LS SAS, both ends locked, hydro assist, 5.13s, on 38 toyos
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonger View Post
I have some pretty crazy oversteer at highway speeds that the hydro assist helped with. Somewhere in that thread is the link to the sketchy axle install work done by the PO. His welds were boogered up, and the geometry was aweful, but its way better now. It originally had 44s on it but Id imagine that was virtually undrivable lol. For the front it seems like he just rolled the whole axle and leafs from a 99 under there, made a crossmember and welded it up.
Thanks for the insight! Im sealing the deal on the axles Monday & will start acquiring parts, Not entirely sure how ill acquire steering components from 200 miles away of the Bronco/axles but ill figure something out

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

1986 fullsize bronce steering box conversion to 2000 F250 superduty steering box

Correct me if im wrong guys but after reading the above thread does this mean it would be smarter for me to rob the steering box/idler/pitman arms/off the 99 super duty, buy hoses/fitting off a 97 SD so they have the new fittings and curvatures of our body style and call it a day? I'm not trying to upgrade to a highsteer, since we only have mud down here, if i do not have to. This seems like the most cost effective solution given I will only be running 4-7 inches of lift depending upon me taking the 3 inch body lift off (in the future) and have to raise the suspension lift to compensate for it.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Now where I stand...

As nice and well built of a kit SKY puts together it's disappointing their customer service is as vague as it is. It takes days on end to get a response through an email, the tech line never picks up, they're only open Monday-Thursday, and the emails I've gotten only lead to more questions because nothing is discussed thoroughly. After spending 800+ with a company and having this kind of service I'm not satisfied to say the least. THERE'S no specific instructions for this kit, and when asked for a guideline I was answered with this is a DIY kit you put it where you want it to go.

Issue number one: all pictures on sky's page (different vehicles/designs by the way) installed the crossmember with the V opposite of the way I installed mine and with it against the sway bar mounts. This centered my axle unbelievably too far back. By moving it as far forward the frame horn that I could it still left it 4 inches rearward. Flipping the crossmember took care of 2 inches, I decided I wasn't going to fuss about 2 inches until I tacked everything and put it on it's weight. Long story short it is still closer to the rear, but It's not overly noticeable and didn't give me clearance issues.

Installing the rear shackle flip kit went smoothly until tightening the bolts where the factory rivets were. The gas tank was in the way and an all-saw was used to cut small access holes in the rear crossmember behind the gas tank. (I'll work on getting pictures of this)

The Sterling apparently had a 3" block after observing the difference in ride height. I didn't think it looked factory when I was painting it but I decided I wouldn't know what looked correct anyhow. I wasn't able to find factory length U-bolts today so it looks like I'm acquiring an online shopping list. Based on the height this was the biggest 4 inch kit I believe I've seen. I didn't take before measurements and I know going from a worn 35 to a like new 37 would make a difference but I'm betting I've gained 8 inches overall just in the front and 11 with this block installed in the rear.

I'm currently figuring out the steering components I need. I was told I need a 97 f350 tie rod end and a pitman arm from an early 99 super duty. The question is if that assumed I'm using the stock Bronco drag link/tie rods. I have the heavier duty super duty steering components from my donor axle which I'm planning on running. I'm curious which pitman arm will allow me to bolt up the super duty components to my stock gearbox.

Also, I haven't gotten the exact specs of the U-joints I have but I'm under the impression I need a 1330-1410 conversion joint. The rear I think will bolt up just fine but my front shaft appears to need a section of my transmission crossmember to be modified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 11:39 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 93 5.8L tons of stuff
Customer service is all but gone in the world these days. However, you are installing a DIY kit that does not have a full and specific design associated with it. So while I couldn't agree more that not getting detailed responses is beyond frustrating and bad service, they do have a bit of a point about the install. But it looks like your getting it figured out.
I know on the pre 97 F350 Dana 60's the steering will bolt right up to the Bronco. I don't see why the steering that came with your 99 axles would be any different. Worst case is you need to ream out your Bronco pitman arm slightly. I wouldn't bother messing with your steering box. Seems a bit of a waste of time and $$$ to me.
As for the conversion u-joint, are you referring to the front driveshaft to axle joint? If so I'm not sure what yoke was on the 99 axle. A few quick measurements should get you your answer.
Those plates with "SORD" cut into them will be a rust nightmare.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 01:03 PM
I'd rather be sleeping

Bronco Info: 1989 F250...had a 1990 Bronco
Can you post a profile shot? It looks your front axle needs to move forward.

edit: after reading your last post; trust me fuss about axle placement now, not later.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 03:07 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT and 1996 XL
Seeing your struggles with this kit makes me glad I went with PMF instead of Sky. I actually reached out to both companies prior to placing my order to discuss what I was trying to accomplish and had much better communication from PMF. I have to say although their kit was designed for a F250/350 frame, the 1/2 frame is similar enough that there is no question about where everything needs to bolt up since it only fits one way around the sway bar brackets.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 07:28 PM

Bronco Info: 1988 Ford Bronco
ok, I was gonna order this same kit do do superduty axles in my 1988 on superduty springs. with the perches all the way foreward, are they still too far back?

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode